View RSS Feed

Mr. McMahon

Why WWE Sucks - Part 1: The General Manager

Rating: 6 votes, 2.17 average.
I thought I would do a blog series different than others and something I have wanted to do for years but never found the time or motivation. This blog series I call 'Why WWE Sucks' and in each blog entry I will list a reason for their failures and a possible solution. Let's face it, WWE has so many issues that you can write an entire book or two on it. Instead of boring people to death with a book, it would be better to just make short entries once in a while.

I will be doing a series of these blogs whenever I can. The first installment is about General Managers.

I think the concept of a General Manager is great. Some may say it is outdated but with the right use it won't seem to be. The WWE has misused and overused this concept so badly that it has become a cliche.

The GM is supposed to be in charge of the show, nothing happens without his/her permission and the only person that can overrule a GM's decision is Mr. McMahon. GMs are used to built and continue storylines and are a part of it. Right now in WWE the GM is really useless. You see random guys coming out and challenging someone to a match or a title shot and the champion accepts. What is the point of the GM is wrestlers fix their own matches. Shouldn't the GM interfere anytime this happens and tells them that he/she is in charge and only he/she will make the matches.

This hasn't happened since Eric Bishoff was the GM. It has become so pointless that sometimes the GM only appears once on the entire show and that's all. Bishoff was a part of the show, he was there almost 6-8 segments trying to work matches, talk to superstars, build tension and push storylines. Not to mention his feuds with Steve Austin, Eugene, other guys etc...

Right now the WWE sucks so much that they simply cannot keep the audience's attention span towards the GM and keep it interesting that they have to change the GM on a quarterly basis. I thought AJ Lee was the 'permanent' GM or Raw, but she was gone in what 6 months? Then Vickie Guerrero who god knows how many times has been GM is back and she is gone, now its Maddox. Watch Brad Maddox will not be GM end of this year.

The same can be said on Smackdown, it is so stale and predictable. Booker T, Vickie, Teddy Long or some crappy Diva and repeat the cycle. Wasn't John Lauranitus in charge like a year ago? Since then they have had like what 3 GMs already? Is Mick Foley gonna be the next GM for like a month till they decide to make Vickie GM again?

It is a joke, you can see how they keep shuffling GMs as if the GM spot is like a championship. It hasn't been stable since Eric Bishoff left. In my opinion Eric Bishoff was the best example of a GM. He has a heel, he made matches and was involved in every feud and he made sure his superstars knew he was in charge and that if he was disrespected then there would be severe consequences. When Bishoff was getting stale, did they get rid of him? NO, they simply made Austin 50/50 GM and it was just fun from there on. Austin/Bishoff would argue on Raw about matches and change matches or add stipulations and it was quite honestly fun to watch each other go at it.

I am not saying Vickie, AJ and others were bad GMs, they just were booked so badly and felt more like just someone who made matches for the main event and forget about the rest of the roster asides from Cena/Ziggler. Bishoff made RAW entertaining, he was so good that it felt odd to not see on a Raw in 2002-2005 despite how much you hated him. Would it be the same today? Would people honestly care if AJ, Vickie or the current GM didn't show up for a RAW? As for Smackdown, it is even worse. Teddy Long should either be full time GM or retired, sick of seeing him go back and forth.

The solution to this is, hire someone who has the personality and can do what Eric Bishoff did. Let them be the GM for a long time, possibly 2 years and be involved almost in every single thing that happens on RAW. It has to be someone realistic, someone who is a wrestling guy. Someone who could actually seem like they could run a multi million dollar franchise. Paul Heyman would be an ideal choice for a GM. JBL could be a GM for Smackdown. Other choices would be Shane McMahon. Or how about HHH on Raw, HBK on Smackdown!?

Solve The GM issue and you have one more good reason to have better depth in storylines, better matches, promos, hype, unpredictability and excitement.

Submit "Why WWE Sucks - Part 1: The General Manager" to Digg Submit "Why WWE Sucks - Part 1: The General Manager" to del.icio.us Submit "Why WWE Sucks - Part 1: The General Manager" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why WWE Sucks - Part 1: The General Manager" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Id rather just hear your opinion on the current product. Like your thoughts on each division. What do you think of the stables and so forth.

Bischoff is was in my opinion the best gm they ever had. Doesn't change the fact when Vickie was the GM of Smackdown dating Edge....she was the best gm in Smackdown history. Her being gm is over done obviously, but she gets ton of heat still after all these years. Who the GM is doesn't really matter to me. It is the product that matters to me. The wrestlers/storylines are the most important thing along with who the champions are.

WWE sucks because, ugh, the change their GM so often. You'd think someone who wants to start a series to make a statement with something legit. Instead start out with a joke topic like GM.
    If you think WWE sucks, then fuck off and don't watch, calling it bad just makes you look like an ass for watching
    I'd take wwe's gm shuffle over tna's product killing gm all day.
    You say they need someone like Eric Bischoff, but Bischoff was a great heel because he was WWE's ultimate enemy when he came in and kept that momentum up for his entire tenure with WWE. Bischoff is unique in that he truly came close to killing WWE.
    "Let them be the GM for a long time, possibly 2 years and be involved almost in every single thing that happens on RAW" What a great fucking idea. Have the GM be on RAW most of the time for the next 2 years. Not like he would get stale, and not like you would be fired from WWE for such a stupid idea.
    This is an interesting blog. I agree and disagree with some of the points made. Nevertheless, it got me thinking. I started thinking about TNA and how they handle having a GM. This once again confirmed my view as to why WWE is superior to TNA. Here me out...

Pertaining to WWE: So you don't like the revolving door of the Raw GM....I understand. The computer, AJ, Vickie, Brad Maddox and probably a million others over the last few years I am failing to mention. Regardless, WWE recognizes that "authority figures" go stale real fast. As a result, they continue to replace them. Other than VKM during the attitude era, there has not really been that great of an authority figure that the fans would love to have back. As a result, I assume we will continue seeing the Raw GM replaced on a regular basis.

Pertaining to TNA: Personally, I feel Dixie and Hogan become intolerable to watch. Dixie has for the most part removed herself from television so I will not hate on her. However, Hogan is a different story. I admit that Hogan is still a draw and helps sell tickets. However, Hogan is on TV more than Jeff Hardy who is TNA's top draw. You would never see this in WWE. Just imagine if the Raw GM was getting more TV time than Cena.
    Stupid blog. Why spend at least five hours a week watching a program just to whine and moan about how much it sucks?

I've been a fan for around 13 years and yeah, it's not what it used to be, but I'd stop watching the product if I came anywhere near to disliking it enough to write a pointless blog about it. Alot of the aspects can be predictable and/or repetitive, for example: "We're gunna have a tag-team match!" But the amount of idiots who come on here and think they could make it all instantly better is beyond.

We still watch it for the unpredictable, exciting moments which pop up, and for the moments they acknowledge the fans who care and not those who slate the product because they think they're bigger than it. Take Orton's MITB win for example; few people predicted a win for him. Most of the IWC put their money on Bryan, maybe even RVD. Ziggler's WHC win before his concussion, along with Bryan being No.1 contender, show they do take fans' opinions on board from time to time.

Coming from a long-time lover of WWE, I'll be the first to admit I miss the good ol' days when HHH, 'Taker, Angle, Austin etc were in their prime, but younger talent like Ziggler, Bryan, Rollins, Rhodes, Ambrose, Sandow, Orton and many more make it still fun to watch. It's just the amount of close-minded, stuck-in-the-past idiots that come on here to moan just because Bischoff isn't around, or because Cena is champ again (from an anti-cena character guy), is getting boring. You're just as predictable as you claim the show to be.

Move the fuck on.
    Updated 07-29-2013 at 09:41 AM by Dayle234
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.