View RSS Feed

Anthony_Eckman

WWE Raw 7-22-13 Hits and Misses

Rate this Entry
Overall Score: 7

Hits

WWE Championship Match Contract Signing: It was very interesting to see this open up the show. Usually contract signings for major titles are used for the ending. With that being said this was a pretty good segment. The way Cena built up Bryan was fantastic and his reason for picking him made sense. The ending of the segment was a little weird with the Raw music hitting and them standing around but that won't make this a miss.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Sheamus: Was that bruise on Sheamus' leg real or did the make up department put that on? Either way, it looked very disgusting. This match was very well done. These two in the ring together have great chemistry and put on above average matches when they meet. The ending was a little dumb for me with Sheamus' leg giving out and Del Rio getting the roll up pin but it made sense to have Del Rio go over a guy like Sheamus who could face him for the World Title at Summerslam.

Darren Young vs. Dolph Ziggler:
This match was actually really good in my opinion. A couple nearfalls and big moves for Darren made it more than a filler match that I thought it would be. The real reason I give this a hit though is because Ziggler finally is getting the face reaction the WWE wants him to have. Also it's good to see Ziggler not get destroyed by Big E. every week leading up to their match at Summerslam.

Fandango vs. Cody Rhodes: Pretty much just a squash match for Cody Rhodes but I think his performance in the match was great. It showcased his talent and he even got some sort of face reaction when he came out. I liked the ending with him using Sandow's briefcase to help win. It was just kind of cool too me.

CM Punk Promo: Very solid promo from Punk here. With Heyman getting the majority of the time to speak last week it was good to see Punk get the majority here to respond. I'm glad Punk isn't taking the Triple H route by squashing Lesnar as a monster and putting him down. Sure, Punk may not be afraid of Lesnar but he still builds him up like a monster and someone who can kick ass. I'm very much looking forward to this match at Summerslam. I will say that I think it was a dumb move for WWE to pair Curtis Axel up with Paul Heyman or since they did, bring him up this early. I say that because everybody knew this feud would take place this summer so Curtis Axel is just getting lost in the shuffle and left off TV.

Daniel Bryan's Gauntlet Match: The only match I didn't like from the three was the Jack Swagger match. It was just too short. I can't believe how much offense and how long the match with Cesaro went. It really made Cesaro look like money. Well, Bryan does that to everybody. The match with Ryback was good. Not great, but good. I guess they're turning Ryback's character into someone who injures people? I don't know. The ending with John Cena was a little weird though. I thought they were setting up the dark match because the dark match for the last couple months has been John Cena vs. Ryback in a tables match. I guess to summarize, good segment that showcased Bryan as someone who is a threat to Cena's title reign.

Miss

Christian vs. Titus O'Neil: Even though I liked that the match went pretty long unlike your standard filler match and that O'Neil got some good offense in, it was still a filler match with no purpose. Well I guess the purpose was to keep playing up Christian because maybe they'll have him feud with Del Rio for the title. Then again, the way it's looking is Del Rio vs. RVD vs. Sheamus vs. Christian at Summerslam. I know I gave Darren Young's match a hit but Ziggler's just a better wrestler than Christian and that match served a purpose.

Mark Henry Promo:
Call me crazy but I didn't like this segment at all. Most of you will disagree but here's what I saw. This always happens with a Shield attack. They attack someone one week, the next week the guy calls them out, then the guy gets backup and they take out The Shield. And even though The Shield have been limited to Six Man action, it just doesn't effect me when they attack someone like it did before. I think it's because the coolness of the attack has gone away since their win streak was broken months ago. It just seems repetitive and stale too me now.

Miz TV: I know this served a purpose in giving the hard sell for fans to watch Total Divas this weekend but I just didn't like it. The Miz annoys me and I don't know who JoJo and whatever the red head chicks name is are. I mean don't get me wrong, I probably will watch Total Divas because I'm a sucker for anything to do with the backstage view of WWE, but this segment was just a miss.

Rob Van Dam vs. Wade Barrett: This was just a filler match to showcase RVD's talent so it didn't intrigue me. It's like the Christian match where it was a filler match but not a filler squash match but still didn't serve a purpose. Well the purpose is probably to have RVD keep gaining momentum for probably that Fatal Four Way match at Summerslam I proposed but still.

No Big Show or Wyatt Family: I put this one in after I wrote the summary so for the description of this miss read the summary. I just didn't want to rewrite what I already wrote.

Summary

Overall, not that bad of a show. It was a come down show from last weeks, but it didn't come down a significant level like most Raw's do. The buildup to the three proposed matches of Cena-Bryan, Ziggler-Langston, and Punk-Lesnar were well done and keeps making me want to see all three of them. The only thing that took away from this show was the bad hype it got. What I mean is that WWE.com and other various wrestling sites hyped up Vince coming back to WWE TV this week after a one week vacation and that didn't live up to it. The match he proposed next week of Kane and Daniel Bryan is fine because it sets up Kane's return, but when you hype that up he should probably be on more than 3 minutes. The other example is: where was the Big Show? A lot of hype for his comeback this week on Raw and he never showed up. Stupid move WWE. I also didn't like that The Wyatt Family wasn't on. They're starting to become a hot act and you just recap what they did instead of having Bray make a promo? With that being said, still a good show but they just hyped too much and delivered too little of that hype tonight.

Thank you for reading. Comment below with your thoughts, what you agree on, and where you think I lost my mind. See you all next week! Oh and if you liked this blog, don't be afraid to rate it!

Submit "WWE Raw 7-22-13 Hits and Misses" to Digg Submit "WWE Raw 7-22-13 Hits and Misses" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE Raw 7-22-13 Hits and Misses" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE Raw 7-22-13 Hits and Misses" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The opening seemed off to me. It was because of Brad Maddox "Vincing" Bryan and Cena Defending. No tention (yet). It was cool, just a little off.

Jizzard TV with the divas was a waste a time and pointless. If you want to hype of divas then have a match or at least a backstage segment like before.

The C(U)M Punk/Heyman segment could have been done over the phone or a split screen via satalite thing to save time and words. It was just warnings, promises and a challenge for Summerslam. This will lead to Curtis Axel being attacked by Punk and having a match with each other in the comming weeks just to build things up. Even though it's "predictable" everyone will eat it up.

Yes there were filler matches, but hey that happens most of the time. If all the squash matches winners were reversed except for RVD then the show would have been more interesting, however people would still complain because those people would have "no business winning".

It's kinda good that the Wyatts took a break this week. It keeps the element of surprise in place. If you see them every week or every show then it will become repetitive just like the shield.

They shouldn't have advertized Big Shows' return so we wouldn't have been expecting it.

Sheamus had a "bullseye" target, Del Rio won clean, good match.

Orton didn't have to be there. Jericho is taking time off. Why was Alex Riley in the back with Maddox? Is he gonna be the assistant GM?

Bryan/Swagger cool. Bryan/Cesaro well done. Bryan/Ryback filler for a Cena challenge for next week. It was a good show. Not Great but not bad.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.