Thom Hodkinson's Pay-Per-Review: Mo Money (In The Bank)
by, 07-21-2013 at 08:34 AM (2697 Views)
Allow me to apologise in advance. I know this is a week late, but it has been one messed up week, so this literally is the first chance I've had to watch Money in the Bank, but I hope you'll appreciate my review none-the-less.
Damien Sandow wins Money in the Bank
These Money in the Bank matches are so chock-full of awesome moments, I'm going to bullet point them both
· I get Fandango's jobber entrance, but Dean Ambrose? Come on, guys.
· Gotta love Wade Barrett's music... for once.
· Is Fandango meant to be the new Rico?
· Cody's body being flung into that ladder by Cesaro looked PAAAAAINFUL!
· Fandango genuinely has some great moves, they should let him actually wrestle more.
· Is Cody wearing Gold trunks to honour his brother?
· Awesome Fandango Vs Sandow spots there
· Barrett's use of a ladder part is bloody awesome
· Wow, I have new respect for Swagger, and the same for Cesaro
· Mid-Air Sleeper? YES PLEASE!
· Cody Rhodes - Future Main-Eventer
· Bull Hammer on top of the ladder, lovely
· FANDANGO FLIP POWERBOMB! WHAT THE HELL?!
· Can we not get rid of Summer Rae.... please?
· YES, LADDER WIND-MILL! Not seen that in years!
· THAT IS AWESOME. Dean Ambrose surfing the ladder like a genius!
· If this match has any more incredible spots, it'll need a whole blog of it's own
· That is seriously the first relevant thing the Usos have ever done
· The idea of having my intellectual saviour as Mr Money in the Bank is most gratifying.
What a brilliant match. It's going to take a hell of a lot for the all-star match to top that
This whole Vickie Guerrero appreciation segment is just awful.
I’ve never been happier to see The Miz
Curtis Axel def. The Miz
A fairly standard affair until the end. Liked the devious nature of Miz, faking injury to have Heyman removed, and the submission locks looked well done, but other than that it was a standard match. Nothing PPV worthy, in my opinion
AJ Lee def. Kaitlyn
Snooooooooooooore. Am I the only one who thought their Payback match was miles better? Plus, Layla? Does she still wrestle? I have no idea why she’s there at all.
Ryback def. Chris Jericho
This was such a pointless, rushed, useless feud that my hopes for this one are very very low indeed. They’re two extremely contrasting styles and shouldn’t really collide in the way they did.
Jesus, these Goldberg chants are boring the hell out of me, but not as much as this actual match. This time could’ve actually been spent giving the Wyatt Family some incredible thunder, or allowing The Shield Vs Uso match to gain some airtime. This is more “Kick-off” to me.
Let’s note that it’s the first PPV win for Ryback since Money in the Bank 2012. Any other superstar with that PPV Win rate would’ve been out on his ass a long time ago.
WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
Alberto Del Rio def. Dolph Ziggler
In all fairness, I saw this one going to Dolph. His popularity is at an all-time high and I, like many many others, was over the moon to see Ziggler win the WHC back in April. But I do like the way that this will divide Dolph (now a face) from AJ Lee & Big E Langston (Still heels). Ziggler is such a great performer he does not need any girlfriends or bodyguards, he can run the show purely on his own.
Del Rio’s streak of ruthless aggression is welcomed but now, with Rey Mysterio OOA & Sin Cara about as respected as a substitute teacher, there’s no positive Latino role model to provide for those kiddy winks that WWE love oh so much.
By the way, an obvious DQ ending? Pfffft, please.
John Cena def. Mark Henry
I have actually nothing to say about this one. Boring match, nothing to really mention or give a crap about. The result was a forgone conclusion and the match was terribly paint-by-numbers. NEXT!
RANDY ORTON WINS MONEY IN THE BANK
· Brining out RVD first for his grand return? Good idea!
· How bad do I feel for Christian? Huge pop for Van Dam and he has to follow it, then gets followed by the most over guy in the company right now? Sucks to be him, right?
· It’s been a few years, but I am totally indifferent to Sheamus. Heel or face, I feel nothing toward him
· Jesus. Just when I’d finally forked out for the Black Best in the World shirt, WWEShop bring out another CM Punk shirt to drool over
· RVD 5 – 1? Awesome move
· How could you not let him finish his ROB! VAN! DAM!?
· I wish Kane were here.... sigh....
· Wow, why didn’t WWE sign Daniel Bryan sooner than this?
· RVD dolls out classic spots like Austin dolls out ass-whoopings!
· Why has Christian got Hornswoggle’s ladder?
· Oh balls, Sheamus landed HARD on that ladder’s edge. Call the EMTs, his night it over
· Oh look, Sheamus has rested a ladder from the ring to the announce table.... again. Does he know that there are tables under the ring?
· Punk swinging the briefcase away when all 6 men are reaching is a nice touch
· Lawler’s right, this crowd is great
· Good Ladder-To-Back face drop, but Punk’s bow made that moment all the more sweeter
· That was a splash, but there was nothing 5 star about it
· Curtis Axel? Damn, nice one
· GTS to his own friend’s client. Wicked move
· Heyman screws over Punk & the fans in PHILEDELPHIA. Best Heel in the business
· Man alive, Punk is wearing the real crimson mask right now
· LADDER-TO-RKO! AWESOME. Welcome back Rob
A very good match indeed but if I had to compare the two, I’d say the World Heavyweight Title Money in the Bank was my favourite in terms of spots and competitors.
Overall, this MITB wasn’t a classic. Yes, it had it’s moments, but I found the inbetween matches to be dull and unsatisfying. It’s like the bookers threw all their eggs in the two baskets while the others lay empty.
Anyway, time for some Winners & Losers
WINNERS AND LOSERS
WINNER: Rob Van Dam
Mr Monday Night is back and we could not be happier. A good high-flyer has been sorely needed recently on the main roster and bringing back RVD was a great idea. The Philly crowd were pumped for an old ECW favourite and went down extremely well (Extremely well? Get it?). Here’s hoping that WWE have some good feuds for him in the coming months
LOSER: Chris Jericho
Losing to Ryback is nothing to be ashamed of. Unless it’s at a PPV. The guy hadn’t won on a Sunday night for a whole year, and to lose in that fashion? Ouch!
Chris Jericho is the kind of wrestler who should be contending for titles, not being thrown into half-hearted feuds to make up for time. How they decided to leave Y2J out of the all-star MITB was beyond me.
WINNER: Randy Orton
The Apex Predator said it himself. He needed this win more than anyone else in that ring. This could be the spark that restarts Randy’s career, throwing back into the title picture. And like I mentioned in my Pointless Opinions blog, this could even be used as a turning point to generate the much talked about heel turn too. Only time will tell on that one.
LOSER: Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins
Oh how the mighty hath fallen. The Tag Team Champions were big enough to knock Team Hell No from the titles, but not good enough to appear on the main show? You contain them to the kick-off with a minor appearance to try and help Dean Ambrose? God dammit. Personally, I thought Ryback Vs Jericho was Kick-Off worthy, not the tag titles.
WINNER: Cody Rhodes & Daniel Bryan
These two were my MITB MPVs. Cody shone in the first battle, throwing out some amazing spots and showing why he will be a future main event star, maybe sooner rather than later. It’s time for Rhodes to come out of the smoke and mirrors and stand tall in the light... oh, and lose the moustache dude.
Daniel Bryan was always going to shine in this one. His momentum is at an all-time high and he was clear favourite to win this year. Whether he did or didn’t, it doesn’t matter. The bosses are turning their heads and opening their eyes at the amazing potential from the Dazzler.
LOSER: CM Punk
Talk about being screwed over! I know this will lead to a much anticipated Brock Vs Punk angle, but the way it’s gone down is pretty wicked. Your best friends slams a ladder into your back just as you’re about to make history and busts your head open. This will lead to some huge moments, I can feel it.
Well, that about wraps things up for this month. As always, comments are appreciated and yadda, yadda, yadda.
Next time, We reach our annual sunshine slugfest, Summerslam!