View RSS Feed

ejorbit

Yes, Your Time Is Now: Cena v Bryan

Rate this Entry
Entry 7.

Five weeks. Five weeks can pass in the blink of an eye. When compared to a year, or a decade, or a century, five weeks is nothing. Five weeks is a drop in the bucket. But what if it's not? What if five weeks is really an eternity? What if no matter how many times you slept and how many times you awoke, it felt like your desired date would never truly be within reach? For fans, five weeks is a cruel joke concocted by the cosmos. For Daniel Bryan, it's just another stretch in a 32 year journey.

September 9, 2009. That date marks the first and last time I had the privilege of watching Bryan Danielson wrestle in person. To give a little back story, I took a hiatus from following the modern wrestling product from roughly 2002 until late summer 2008. Once back in, I started keeping tabs on not only the WWE, but the indie scene as well. I heard people rave about Bryan and his work in ROH. He also happened to wrestle on a fairly regular basis for an indie promotion in Southern California called Pro Wrestling Guerilla. It was there that I watched DB wrestle one of his final matches before being shipped off to WWE developmental (he had already signed the contract and was wrapping up his previously scheduled bookings). It was a 40ish minute match against, at the time, PWG champion Chris Hero (also currently signed to a WWE developmental contract). To be honest, it was a solid match though a bit on the overlong side. Still, that didn't keep the crowd from eating it up. They knew they were in the presence of wrestling greatness.

Fast forward nearly four years and, would you look at that, Daniel Bryan is on the verge of headlining Summerslam with John Cena. Bryan, who's billed as 5'10, 210 lbs, but is actually closer to 5'9, 195 lbs. Bryan, whose submission finisher has always come across as being more laborious then debilitating. Bryan, who couldn't get through a single NXT promo without a giant grin on his face. That might be your next WWE champion.

There is a bit of a "pinch me, I'm dreaming" element to the whole thing. Here's a kid who couldn't buy a win on NXT. A guy who got fired days into his initial run on the main roster. But then something unexpected happened.... "Daniel Bryan.... Daniel Bryan...." Voices rang out from arena to arena. A movement, albeit a relatively small one, began. And then, just like that, he's back. And now Daniel Bryan is your United States Champion. And now he has the Money in the Bank briefcase. And now he's your World Heavyweight Champion. And now he's defending his title in a one on one match against Sheamus at Wrestlemania. And now.... Wait.... He loses the title in 18 seconds?

That was supposed to be the end. Not the end of Daniel Bryan in the WWE, but certainly the end of his short run as a potential main event player. But then it happened again, only this time it was a little different.... "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Voices in the crowd, even more this time. Too many to be smothered, too many to be ignored. The hot streak continued. Another match against Sheamus for the title at Extreme Rules. Three straight title matches against WWE Champion CM Punk. An unlikely partnership with the Devil's favorite demon, Kane. An eight month reign as tag champions. And now the moment we've all been waiting for.

This is a big stage. And just like it was go big or go home for CM Punk back at Money in the Bank 2011, this is the time for Daniel Bryan to step up like never before. He's improved leaps and bounds on the mic over the last four years, but now's his chance to be truly great. He's had dozens of memorable matches, but now's his chance to have one with the top star in the company. And I don't know about everyone else, but I can't wait. This is the right feud, at the right time, on the right occasion. I know some people might say "I'd rather see Punk v. Bryan again" or "give me Ambrose v. Bryan." Not me. I want David v. Goliath. I want Cena, I want Bryan, I want this stage.

It's been awhile since we've seen Bryan without someone attached to him at the hip. We've seen him paired with the likes of the Bella twins, Gail Kim, AJ Lee, and, as previously mentioned, Kane. Word on the street is we'll see him, along with Cena, re-cross paths with the Bella's in order to blend real world romantic relationships with scripted wrestling angles. I'd understand if this turned out to be the case, but I hope it doesn't. This is a spot light moment for Bryan, and I'd like to see him shine on his own.

I've stated my case regarding the value of wins and titles in previous blog entries. As such, I don't think not winning the title will damage Bryan in any significant way if he holds his own during the feud. That being said, what a story book ending it would be.

Thank you for Reading. Feel free to leave praise, constructive feedback, or troll. If you're going to troll though, please have some style.

Song of the Day: Hewlett's Daughter by Grandaddy

Wrestling Move of the Day: Eye Rake

Cheers.

Submit "Yes, Your Time Is Now: Cena v Bryan" to Digg Submit "Yes, Your Time Is Now: Cena v Bryan" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes, Your Time Is Now: Cena v Bryan" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes, Your Time Is Now: Cena v Bryan" to Google

Updated 07-21-2013 at 11:02 AM by ejorbit

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Just to give a suggestion, don't enter your entry. Everyone knows what # blog you are at. Blog entry 7 is on the site under your name.

I like the wrestling moves of the day at the bottom. You are one of the few other bloggers I enjoy reading. Keep it up!
    I hope they don't mix in the Bellas, the pair are ugly and their awkward faces will distract from what will otherwise be a great wrestling performance... and Cena.
    I hope Bryan scores a victory here. I think he deserves it after so long.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.