View RSS Feed

Wrestling_Deluxe_08

Is It Wrong For Fans To DESPISE John Cena?

Rating: 14 votes, 2.29 average.
The following blog is a response to a column here on ewrestlingnews. It is titled "WWE's John Cena And Why He Deserves More Respect" which I will summarize quickly with the following quote down below.

===============

A man of great integrity, passion, dedication and a love for the sport he became accustomed to at an early age. His road to WWE and during the courses of nature, he became the face of the company. To which many disregarded him as someone who couldn’t handle being the top dog. A lot of criticism came his way and never did he give up.

It is more than just a saying on a t-shirt, but a way of life. This is why John Cena is and should be to everyone as one of the most respected men in the entire industry for many years to come. Is he a great wrestler like a HBK, CM Punk, or Daniel Bryan? No. Is John Cena a man who I would put a wrestling corporation the head of? Absolutely. At the end of the day, wrestling is all about business.I'm not the biggest Cena supporter. He is number-nine on my list of favorite superstars, which includes TNA and WWE. There have been times I hated Cena and others, in which I supported him to the heavens. Whatever the case may be, Cena sells out crowds, sells merchandise, loves the business and is the business.

Like it or hate it, John Cena is sports entertainment.

[Full blog here: http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/1...-more-respect]
==========

In general, he feels John Cena should be more respected by fans. Before I delve into this blog, I want to make two things clear. First off, I don't hate John Cena. I respect the man outside of the ring. I believe he has a heart of gold and is a great role model for children. I will also concede and say he contributes handsomely to the business through merchandise sells and many other venues. When he needs to have a good match, he always delivers. Cena deserves all the respect he fans he has and all the admiration that goes along with it. Now, let's take a look at some definitions of respect:

"Willingness to show consideration or appreciation."
"The state of being regarded with honor or esteem."
"A feeling of appreciative, often courteous regard."

After reading all of these pretty accurate descriptions of the word Respect, you'll notice that all of them at no point refer to having to "like" someone. It simply means to give credit where credit is due. Should fans give credit to John Cena for contributing to the business? Absolutely. Should fans respect Cena for his positive effect on our children nowadays? Absolutely. Should fans respect the heart of gold Cena has? Absolutely.

Does this mean fans have to LIKE Cena? Absolutely ... NOT!

This is where the dilemma comes in with John Cena. Although he may be a great person outside the ring, as a ON SCREEN TV persona, it's an entirely different story. From this fan's perspective, the John Cena character is one of the blandest, stalest, repetitively predictable and boring promo producing wrestlers we have today. Yes, he may be a good hearted human being in real life -- and that's great -- but him outside of the ring is the LEAST of my concern. What I care about is his ON SCREEN wrestling persona and, quite frankly, it is one of the worst things about the WWE for me.

At this point in time, I've heard all the arguments and read every single attempt to get fans to "respect" Cena. Let's be real. Cena has respect. 90% of the fans that boo him on a regular basis are very aware of his contributions to the business and his media attention. Most of them, I guarantee you, are thankful for it. Does that mean they have to say he's the greatest of all time, or ONE of the greatest of all time? No. That just means what it means. Thank you Cena for the media coverage and getting my children to watch wrestling. Unfortunately, for some Cena defenders (not all but a lot) that isn't enough. They don't just want fans to respect Cena, they want fans to love and adore Cena like he was a Stone Cold or The Rock. They want him to get that rockstar reception he used to have as the Doctor of Thuganomics. What's funny is, they hardly ever talk about his ON SCREEN persona to back up their argument, they always seem to use the business side of things. They say he sells merchandise, does make-a-wish, does Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Awareness, Talk Shows, Movies, and all kinds of positive stuff for the wrestling. Do they talk about how awesomely hilarious his promo was last monday? Oh wait .... it wasn't. Do they talk about that spectacular match he had with the Rock at Wrestlemania? Oh wait ... wasn't really that spectacular was it? His matches with CM Punk are great though .... and the rest were decent. What about all those memorable 13 world titles runs he's had? Cause I remember all of -- actually I remember some of ... okay, I only remember two out of the thirteen.

Don't get me wrong. Again. Can Cena have a five star match? Yes. Can he cut a great promo if he wants to? Yes. Do I quote on quote "respect" him for what he does? YOU BETCHA! Does that mean I have to LIKE Cena necessarily? No. Guess what? I don't like him. I haven't liked him since 2007 and I still don't like him now. Does that make me a Cena hater? In terms of his TV persona, probably. All I know is, he is not my cup of tea and I literally get tons of pleasure seeing him get his ass beat ... when he's suppose to be a "good" guy and this guy the WWE universe LOVES and admires, according to WWE. Obviously something is amiss and I don't think I'm at fault here.

Wrestling fans will always have their opinions, just like John Cena will always have his fans. You think he's a legend? Fine. Fact is, Cena is one of the top things I cannot stand about WWE today. Sure, he puts on a great match from time to time and when he does, he gets props from me. Other than that, the very sound of his music makes me roll my eyes and I always end up telling myself, "Here we go again ... " And if other fans feel this way, why should they pretend they don't? As a regular viewer, spending hours of my life watching your product, if I don't like something you do, I am entitled to talk about the things I DON'T like as much as the things I DO like. Comes with the territory of being in the entertainment business.

Now, is it all necessarily Cena's fault why fans don't like his TV persona? No, I think most of the blame falls on WWE for propping him up as this Godsend from the heavens and one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. It falls on the shoulders of Michael Cole who constantly praises him and claims him to be the best damn thing walking God's green earth. Sorry, I'm not buying into that statement just yet. The more people continue to play him up as the greatest of all time, the more I'm contempt to despise his guts. Whether WWE knows it or not, they are soiling the name of Cena by overplaying him as something he is not. The fact that he is a 13 time world champion is ridiculous enough, but the fact that he's been portrayed to be better than people like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, HBK, HHH, and many other legends? That's a slap in the face to the sport of professional wrestling.

In conclusion, there is absolutely, positively, NOTHING wrong with despising John Cena .... as an on screen character. The purpose of a TV character, especially a LEAD character, is to make a connection with the audience watching and get them invested into their daily struggles and routines of a show. If Cena isn't doing that and, like me, you're sitting on your hands during most of his matches, rolling your eyes at his promos, and waiting for that CM Punk promo -- don't lie to yourself and pretend you like it cause Cena is "good for the business" or is a "good person in real life." Be honest. Say you don't like him, but you respect him. That's absolutely fine! What isn't fine are Cena defenders condemning Cena Haters for not liking him, just like it's even as stupid for Cena haters to condemn Cena Defenders for liking him. So what if the majority of the audience doesn't like Cena? Oh well, that's just how it is. Unless Cena changes something up to their liking, get use to it. Cena gets enough respect as it is. Sadly enough, the man in real life is not the TV character, and all the aspects of his TV character lead to one conclusion for me ....

Cena sucks. End of story.

Submit "Is It Wrong For Fans To DESPISE John Cena?" to Digg Submit "Is It Wrong For Fans To DESPISE John Cena?" to del.icio.us Submit "Is It Wrong For Fans To DESPISE John Cena?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Is It Wrong For Fans To DESPISE John Cena?" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I dunno is it? They're only...I dunno...the actual fans! It seems like you're really asking, "should fans just go along with the program and like whoever WWE says they should" or "should fans have a mind of their own".
    Interesting read, Deluxe. Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of John Cena the wrestler, and I'm no kid (50+ years old). Of course John Cena the man is a different person from John Cena the wrestler. That they're both one and the same is like thinking that James Gandolfini was a terrible person because of his role in the Sopranos. The late Mr. Gandolfini was an actor, and so in many ways is John Cena. All wrestlers are actors. Do you think the Undertaker acts like his character in real life? Of course not. So just like you can be a fan of James Gandolfini for his acting abilities but despise the Tony Soprano character, you can also respect John Cena the man but hate his on-camera persona. Here are some of the reasons why I like John Cena the wrestler:
    • He is incredibly strong. Remember when he lifted the Big Show and Chris Jericho over his shoulders at the same time?
    • He recovers from injuries at a remarkable rate, even attending shows the day after surgery.
    • He's a much better pure wrestler than the IWC gives him credit for. While he's not in CM Punk's or Daniel Bryan's league, he in on equal par to most other wrestlers, with more than just 5 moves.
    • He's great at playing to the crowd. While more than half the fans may boo him when he enters the ring, listen to what happens when his promo takes off. A great many of the Cena haters end of cheering him because of what he says and how he says it. When he enters the ring, he's hated by 75% of the fans and liked by 25%, but when his promo is over he's liked by 75% of the fans and hated by only 25%. At least, that's the way it comes across listening to the fans in the arenas. Which, fortunately for Cena, contains only a tiny percentage (5%?) who are IWC folks.

Do any of you remember when Bruno Sammartino used to wrestle? Bruno NEVER lost clean. In fact, during his multi-year run as champ, he never lost period. Not once, ever, in about 4-5 years. He won every single match. He was the champ and the face of the WWWF, not a good technical wrestler by any means, and he absolutely NEVER lost. I know it's a different time now, but still, look at Hogan during his main time in the WWF/WWE. With a rare exception (such as his Wrestlemania loss to the Ultimate Warrior), Hogan almost never lost, and only once or twice did he lose clean. And again, Hogan was not a good technical wrestler either. Cena has lost way more than Bruno or Hogan. Austin and the Rock, when they were face champions, almost never lost except to each other. The #1 face of the company is not supposed to lose clean. And Cena doesn't.
    One last comment to those fans who say that Cena should tell Vince and management to push other wrestlers besides him: are you insane? Tell me one person in the history of the planet who would ever say to their boss: "Hey Mr. Owner, don't promote me, please promote this other guy instead because I've already been promoted a lot, and he deserves it more than I do." Come on, get real. Cena has put over other wrestlers, such as CM Punk and the Miz, just like I suspect he will put over Daniel Bryan by losing to him at Summer Slam. When Cena beat the Rock for the title, which was the plan for a few years culminating at Wrestlemania 29, I figure they'd let him hold onto the title for a few months up until the next big pay per view, then give it to someone else, such as Bryan. Anything less would cheapen Cena, which you don't do to your #1 face.
    To summarize, I think Cena does a very good job as the #1 face of the company, and I don't find him stale at all. Many adults don't, despite what some folks in the IWC think. Do you have the right to hate Cena the wrestler but respect Cena the man? Of course. But you're also allowed to like Cena the wrestler (with occasionally corny promos and all, most of which I still find very entertaining), which I do. Just like you're allowed to think he sucks, I think he's really good. We're both absolutely allowed to do that, one like him and one hate him. He's not my favorite, Christian and Chris Jericho are. But just like you're allowed to hate him, I should be allowed to like him without the IWC thinking I'm gay for him or I'm 12 years old, of which I'm neither. As long as you're fair about that point, we're good. Thanx for the fun read.
    I wish people who don't like Cena would stop booing. Then there is less of a reaction for him and WWE might bother to push somebody at least a little bit entertaining down our throats for ten years. Why cant everyone who hates him just sit with their arms folded and stay silent? Stop encouraging this nonsense by booing!

The absolute worst thing about John Cena is when Michael Cole describes him as the most controversial champion in history. There is nothing controversial about getting booed by half the audience. As a face it means your not doing your job. Now on the other hand, when talking about Chris Benoit they can call him controversial all they like, as that actually makes sense. (I am not endorsing Benoit).

I cant stand how WWE just makes stuff up to try and make him seem cool, or uses particular words, like I've just mentioned to make him seem edgier.

I saw Big Show on a Dvd once say the following, it may not be an exact quote:

'The same people who boo John Cena, would run over their Grandmother for the chance to go and see him.'

Yes Big Show I'm sure the other 20 guys on the card had nothing to do with drawing on a show. The fans are stupid, and will pay just to see somebody they don't like. Big Show may have been prompted to say this, because I don't believe he's actually that stupid.

WWE just making shit up. Its so annoying!!!

Stop Booing and BE SILENT - PASS IT ON!
    You make the comment during the blog that, "The fact that he is a 13 time world champion is ridiculous enough, but the fact that he's been portrayed to be better than people like CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, HBK, HHH, and many other legends? That's a slap in the face to the sport of professional wrestling."

In regards to "many other legends", Cena is not being portrayed as being better than Austin, Rock, Hogan or Bruno. So no, it is NOT a "slap in the face of the sport of professional wrestling." In regards to Cena being better than HBK, yes Cena is much better. First, HBK was a complete failure when he was the #1 guy. Substance abuse issues, losing his smile and not being durable (hence the 5 years off with the back injury) are exactly why HBK does not belong in this conversation. Was HBK a great worker, you bet. Top ten wrestler of all time...debatable but probably. However, was he able to carry the torch after Bret passed it to him, hell no. When Shawn was the #1 guy, he was feuding with Vader and Sid. Meanwhile, Cena as the #1 guy has feuded with Rock and Lesner. I give HBK credit for dropping the strap to Austin at mania but other than that, during his time as "the guy", the WWE kind of sucked. Anyways sorry for the rant, this was an entertaining blog to read.
    Not to bicker about semantics but it depends on what you mean by 'better'. Yeah Cena has had more success than HBK and has been a better poster boy and more professional, but HBK had way better matches and was arguably the greatest wrestler of all time in the ring. It's hard to combine performance and professionalism and success to determine who is simply 'better'. I disagree with top 10 bc I'm confident he is overall top 5 or better all time if you asked most people.

Also, just bc WWE lost to WCW in ratings while HBK was #1 doesn't make him a 'complete failure'. The WWE continued to prosper during those years and grow as a company. HBK wasn't the sole blame of the entire WWE programming during those years. Personally I enjoyed those years greatly and WM's 10 and 12-14 were awesome.
    Updated 07-18-2013 at 03:42 PM by Kajmere
    Nice Blog, every one has their own opinion and your not wrong if u hate or like cena ita a matter of opinion, The moment where i really started disliking john cena, the character, Was when he was forced to join the nexus and was the special guest referee in wade barret vs randy orton, with the stipulation that if Barret losses Cena is fired, now after the match i really thought his character became too much sugar coated when he was ready to lose his job but not do anything wrong, No human being would make that dumb of a decision and since then his character has just become to much sugar coated, boring and predictable to me.
    the fact he is the so called underdog in every title match, makes him so boring and predicable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.