View RSS Feed

ejorbit

Pin Me/Pay Me: The Value of Wins in Wrestling

Rating: 6 votes, 3.83 average.
Entry 6.

Orton wins MitB! Everyone's mad!

For my last blog, I wrote about the value of titles in the modern era; today, I tackle wins and loses.

Let's start with the basics. I mean the basic basics. Grass roots stuff. Wrestling is a work. I just blew your mind, I know. It's common knowledge on the level of Santa not being real (spoilers). But as basic as it is, it's very easy to lose sight of. And it's once you begin to lose sight of that fact, you begin to take things personally. The person in the ring stops being a unique individual and starts becoming an extension of the viewer. You share in the joy of their victories and the anguish of their defeats. But how much do these things really matter.

I'm going to cut to the point, 99% of wins don't make stars. Also, 99% of losses don't bury wrestlers. Wins and losses, 99% of the time, only exist to segue between major events.

In the history of wrestling, how many matches have "made" stars? Hogan vs. Andre? Sure, it did elevate Hogan to a degree but he was already the face of the company. Hogan vs. Warrior? A benchmark in wrestling history but the fact of the matter is Warrior was the #2 star in the company entering the match and #2 star leaving it.

Even a match like Punk vs Cena (MitB), which helped catapult Punk to new heights, only meant as much as it did because of his ability to connect with the crowd. It's not the simple formula people try to make it out to be. Case and point would be a guy like Tensai. Tensai beat Cena (cleanish) in a match not long after his debut and the crowd could not have given fewer shits. Why? Because wins don't mean much if you can't connect with the crowd. HOWEVER, on the flip side, losses don't dent your armor if you can connect with the crowd. Case and point, a guy like Daniel Bryan.

No one in the wrestling world gets babied more by internet fans then DB. When he failed to capture the MitB briefcase (for the second time, mind you), you would have thought a puppy had just been drowned on live television. But did he need that win? Of course not. It's a gimmick match that a guy like DB should be considered to be above. In fact everyone in that match (save maybe Christian and Kane) were too big time for it. Any one of those top 5 guys could have come out on Raw, challenged Cena for the belt, and it wouldn't have felt out of place. Orton, being the Viper, is actually a strong choice to hold the briefcase. Does his character need it? No. But it adds a nice new dynamic to his "strike at any moment" persona.

I do understand the obsession with wins though. People look at a guy like John Cena, who loses 4-5 times a year, and think "of course he's the top star in the company, they just have him win all the time." Sorry, wrong answer. He's a star because, like it or not, he captivates a large percentage of the audience. And unlike a lot of people on this site, I stand up for kids cheering for what they like cause I've been a fan since I was 5 years old (check out a previous blog entry for more on that).

At the end of the day, it's not pin falls or submissions that make wrestlers stars, but the countless moments that take place before and after. If you don't believe me, ask Mr. 0-5 at Wrestlmania, Jeff Hardy, or Mr. 6-11, Shawn Michaels.

Thank you for Reading. Feel free to leave praise, constructive feedback, or troll. If you're going to troll though, please have some style.

Song of the Day: Atom by Cannibal Ox

Wrestling Move of the Day: Rude Awakening

Cheers.

Submit "Pin Me/Pay Me: The Value of Wins in Wrestling" to Digg Submit "Pin Me/Pay Me: The Value of Wins in Wrestling" to del.icio.us Submit "Pin Me/Pay Me: The Value of Wins in Wrestling" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pin Me/Pay Me: The Value of Wins in Wrestling" to Google

Updated 07-17-2013 at 03:29 PM by ejorbit

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You think Cena connects with a large part of the crowd? He did once, but he does not most of the time anymore. Payback had one of the worst main event crowd reactions I have ever seen on a wrestling pay per view. Money in the Bank worked well because for the crowd, Henry was the face and Cena was the heel. The dueling chants of "let's go Cena" and "Cena sucks" didn't even get going because most people don't care about him anymore. Only something like 25% of the audience for wrestling is kids. Cena's time as the top dog should be over.

Kids cheer for whatever the WWE makes them cheer for. I agree that no one should stop them from cheering for whoever they want, but kids are quicker to bandwagon. Another Cena can be built at any time.
    JohnnyV123, I find it funny that you didn't commend the author for a lovely blog, but latched unto the Cena part specifically. 90% of fans online hate Cena and love Daniel Bryan, even though most people are just following the trend.

I have never really understood why people hate Cena, considering that he is just like the rest of us. He goes to work each day and does what his boss tells him to do. Before people say I am a Cena mark, I actually find Cena boring, but from a business point of view, I completely understand why WWE continue to shove him down our throats. In fairness to Cena, he has worked his ass off for the company and deserves to be where he is.

In conclusion, WWE is a business first and Vince will always do what is best for business. I think a lot of people often tend to forget that regardless of the boos or cheers, Cena draws big time and as long as that is the case, you just have to deal with it
    awesome blog mate
    Great blog. I do differ slightly on the perspective of wins, however. If a match or angle tells a story, then the outcome of the match/feud in like the conclusion of a book. You can have a good book with a disappointing ending, or a great ending with a lackluster book, but the best stories that are told have a compelling story and satisfying/emotional/heartfelt ending.

You used the Punk/Cena match as an example of where both stars were and where they ended up. I would argue that if Punk had not won that match, then he would have been relegated to his previous format of being a midcarder who occasionally competes for a main title.

I think the reason so many people were disappointed in Orton's win was not because he's not a good wrestler (he is a great one), but because his winning is the equivalent of getting to the last page of a novel and the last line states: "go back and reread the book"... We have seen this story before and it would appear that WWE is going to make us see it again....but they have been having a great couple of months, so maybe this time they'll surprise us.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.