View RSS Feed

HitmanHurst

Benoit: a fans final thoughts

Rate this Entry
Hello wrestling fans:

I would like to voice my opinion and read others about the recent story about a reporter claiming the wwe is creating a black hole in its history and de-valuing other wrestlers matches with him.

Firstly, I was/am a huge Chris Benoit wrestling fan.
I miss seeing him weekly on raw or smackdown in top fueds for titles, where as a wrestler he belonged.

I do however agree that wwe should never mention him again due to THE FACT HE KILLED HIS WIFE + SON.

For that reporter and other fans to claim that he deserves to have his name in high regard is utter stupidity.

WWE is a publicly listed,kid friendly company, it makes no Sense morally or business wise to promote/remind people of him.

If fans want to watch his matches, do as I have and get his DVD, wrestle mania 20, royal rumble etc, go ahead but as for recognition on raw forget it!

The black listing of Benoit is good enough for CHRIS JERICHO (in his book "undisputed") who knew Benoit personally and wrestled him 100s of times, so it should be good enough for us all.

I can remember a wwe tour show I went to in 2005 with the main event hhh + flair vs hbk + Benoit. About 20 rows back, with hhh in the ring and a moment of dead scilence I shouted out (and started) a "you tapped out!" chant, Benoit turned and looked towards me with his toothless smile, gave me a thumbs up and then pumped his fist in the air to the chant.

But I still cannot believe or condone his actions in June 2007 and I fully side with wwe banning him and think we all should only remember him for his pre 2007 life inside the wrestling ring.

There are lots of deceased wrestlers that wwe has paid little no no tribute to since their deaths such as Rick rude, Brian pillman, lance Cade, umaga, big boss man, bam bam bigelow and Davey boy smith.

But if fans of a wrestler with Benoits in ring ability wish to promote and remember anyone it would have to be OWEN HART hands down.

The wwf killed him, in the prime of his life all for a 10 second cheap shot at WCW.

Thats all I wish to say, please leave your comments.

Thankyou.

P.S: does anyone else think that Tyson Kidd looks like Benoit and dynamite kid with his hair?
Lets hope he's nothing like them in real life.

Submit "Benoit: a fans final thoughts" to Digg Submit "Benoit: a fans final thoughts" to del.icio.us Submit "Benoit: a fans final thoughts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Benoit: a fans final thoughts" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Did you seriously just call the wwe murders? Your fucking stupid. And if your not gonna acknowledge Benoit because its not kid friendly, then don't acknowledge the people who killed themselves with drugs or guns either. Your really stupid for that last comment.
    Was liking the blog until........the last comment
    Although, shrewdly stated by the author, the WWE was technically held lliable for the death of Owen in a court of law. I wrote a comment on this blog about how the Benoit black hole situation was a moral issue, and that he deserves to be erased from history, but the comments were lost as several blogs on this website mysteriously disappeared yesterday then reappeared with all of the comments deleted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    Although, shrewdly stated by the author, the WWE was technically held lliable for the death of Owen in a court of law. I wrote a comment on this blog about how the Benoit black hole situation was a moral issue, and that he deserves to be erased from history, but the comments were lost as several blogs on this website mysteriously disappeared yesterday then reappeared with all of the comments deleted.

They switched severs for the site over the past few days, which explains why the comments (and blogs) vanished for a while before reappearing.

As for the blog; I have videos and tapes of Chris Benoit. I allow my children to watch these matches. When they are older, I’ll have a conversation about the tragedy surrounding the man’s name, but I also feel being honest with my children in life is a top priority and I should not lie to them about issues as serious as murder/suicide.

To the whole “black hole” aspect, I must ask the following: Should we choose that Adolph Hitler be excluded from History books? The man committed many more heinous acts in his lifetime, so why would we not write this man out of the history of man? Because we learn from our past and due to the crimes of Benoit, the WWE is seeking further knowledge on things such as concussions, brain trauma, and taking measures to ensure the safety of their performers.

We can narrow it down to isolated persons in their respected field and ask if they should be "black holed" - Should OJ Simpson be written out of the NFL history books? Should Mike Tyson be written out of the history of Boxing for his convicted Rape charge? Should we avoid talking about Don King since he killed 2 people? Sid Viscous with the Sex Pistols, Snoop Dogg...

There are numerous cases in which someone has committed a violent and despicable act without being erased from their respected field’s history chronicles, yet the only one that prominently stands out in our minds is Benoit because of his "vanishing" from the WWE history books. This “black hole in history” is the reason why Benoit is still brought up to this day. WWE did/is doing exactly as they should by making the choice to avoid the topic all together, however this absence in the books of wrestling history will only help to cement Benoit’s place as one of the most notorious wrestlers of the past 2 decades (if not of all time). Regardless of WWE’s best interest/decision on this, Benoit’s name will live on by anyone who comes in contact with Professional Wrestling outside of just a quick glance at what is on thanks to the wide spread media coverage of the crimes mixed with his stellar performances while an active wrestler in the WWE. All of this, of course, is just my own opinion on the topic.
    I like your answer and find it intelligent, but Don King, Snoop, and OJ were never convicted of murder. Benoit obviously can't go to trial, but the police officials have already ruled him the culprit.

The Hitler comparison is a bit much, though I get the point you're making. Hitler was involved in the shaping of the world as we know it today and affected history in every major country. Benoit was strictly an entertainer, so it's wayyyy easier to black hole him.
    I was a fan of Chris's wrestling career & thats what I choose to reflect on when I think of the good ol' days of wrestling. I will never forgive or forget how his story ended but it's his in ring life that I choose to celebrate. Joey Styles once said of both Chris & Eddie that"It's a good thing that the mat is made of canvas, 'cause these men are artists". and that's how I think of Chris Benoit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    I like your answer and find it intelligent, but Don King, Snoop, and OJ were never convicted of murder. Benoit obviously can't go to trial, but the police officials have already ruled him the culprit.

The Hitler comparison is a bit much, though I get the point you're making. Hitler was involved in the shaping of the world as we know it today and affected history in every major country. Benoit was strictly an entertainer, so it's wayyyy easier to black hole him.

Don King shot a man in the back who was attempting to rob one of his illegal gambling houses, yet it was ruled a justifiable homicide. With his second murder, he was convicted of second degree murder in 1966 after stomping one of his employees to death over $600, yet the judge ruled it (after meeting with King’s attorney mind you) non-negligent manslaughter instead and King only served 4 years in prison for it (to which he was pardoned by Governor Jim Rhodes in 1983).

Snoop was charged with murder, yet was acquitted due to the fact that he wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger (yet he drove to where Phillip Woldermarian was known to frequent) and the fact that Cochran got Lee off on the grounds of Self Defense (which anyone could claim when the only other witness to the murder was your friend who drove you to the place you shot the guy at). No, neither he nor OJ were convicted of the crimes... But neither was Casey Anthony and I am pretty sure she killed Caylee.

And yes, the Hitler aspect was meant to be over the top, but the point remains valid; through such heinous actions, we as a people can learn from our past mistakes, where as writing things out of the history books helps history to repeat itself much quicker. WWE has taken a whole new direction because of this tragic story. Their process with concussions has become top notch, they have done their best to protect their talent, and they has instituted a wellness policy that is stellar. I believe Beniot’s crimes/death played a vital part in this fact, which was the point I was making.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.