View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
After one near perfect pay-per-view and two great Monday nights, WWE took its flagship show to Iowa for what was sure to be another great show…

It all started really well, with Daniel Bryan coming to the ring (in his new “Respect the Beard” t-shirt, which I MUST buy) and cutting another promo solidifying his role as a face. Up next was the emergence of the rest of the ‘All Stars’ Money in the Bank Ladder match (a redundant name by the way, especially since Jack Swagger – a former MitB winner – is deemed as a rising star for the World Heavyweight Championship briefcase) to cut a somewhat entertaining promo, followed by the one decent match of the night involving Christian, The Usos, and The Shield.

And that was about all anybody really needed to watch of this week’s Raw.

I spent a large portion of last night on my Twitter account (@SpringerAJ, #YYYTRR) tearing into various aspects of Raw for my own, and my followers’, amusement. The over-promotion of the main event Champion vs. Champion match between John Cena and Alberto Del Rio (I wish ADR would go back to being a face again, his heel persona isn't disliked for anything other than the fact that it is boring in my opinion – the non-reaction ADR got without Ricardo Rodriguez last night confirms that) was a big talking point on Twitter, but the thing which was criticised the most was the Iowa crowd. Yes, they were awful and seemed disinterested (and out of touch – “Fruity Pebbles” chants, really?) for the entire show, but the fact is that without anything interesting to take notice of there is no reason to cheer or boo anything or anyone.

This week WWE took their run of momentum from Payback and decided that Iowa would take the brunt for a show which was simply “phoned in”.

Which of the ‘All Stars’ are ‘money’?

With this week’s Raw delivering very little outside of a number of less-than-stellar matches, one of the three highlights was found in the way of the opening promo (for those wondering, The Shield’s triumph over Christian & The Usos and Jericho’s commentary during Ryback vs. The Miz).

I’ll admit that it did nothing to add tension or suggest winners for the match in two weeks’ time (in fact, it just highlighted two new t-shirts for me to buy), but I have been thinking that maybe the result of this match isn’t as straightforward as it seems…

Most people would assume that Daniel Bryan is poised to take the red briefcase and go on to face John Cena at SummerSlam (a move that would give Cena his first unpredictable title defence since he dethroned The Rock at WrestleMania XXIX), but I think there are other feasible possibilities.

Randy Orton is the superstar the majority of the IWC wants to turn heel in order to make him more interesting again, but no matter how many times he hits the RKO “outta nowhere!” on face superstars it does nothing but emit a cheer from any crowd. An Orton Money in the Bank win, however, would do more to help him take a new and meaningful direction. Obviously Orton has no need for the briefcase given his role as an instant main event superstar, but he is already known for gaining victories at any given moment. An RKO on a World Heavyweight Champion would give fans an instant ‘pop’, but just think of the possibilities if that champion was the likes of Dolph Ziggler after a long run as a face…

CM Punk noted that the returning Rob Van Dam is a “dark horse” going into Money in the Bank, and as true as this is (the briefcase could be cashed in at any moment, and would be even more surprising if a returning part-time superstar did so) there is just one more “dark horse” that could be overlooked – Christian.

Since his return, Captain Charisma has seemed out of place. It should be hard to overlook a victory over The Shield (they are few and far between, after all), but Christian’s victory did nothing but disappoint me. And it’s not that I’m not a fan of Christian (I am), but his return seems like a really pointless move right now. He is without a major storyline, and reports of him taking on a Chris Jericho-esque role of putting over the next generation of talent in this run signals that this could be his last hurrah. For this, admittedly very simple, reason I can imagine that Christian could come out of Money in the Bank victorious.

As far as a preferred winner goes, I’d rather see Orton or Bryan as the future WWE Champion.

With the run of momentum WWE did well to build in recent weeks coming to a halt, where do they go from here?

It is fairly obvious that Iowa has no interest in either main event Championship match being promoted for Money in the Bank, and I honestly have no interest in the John Cena/Mark Henry storyline. I have a slight interest in Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio, but only because I’m hoping that Ziggler can take back the title and save us all from the boredom of a heel Del Rio reign.

I want to take nothing away from the build to Money in the Bank based on one episode of Raw, but it looks like a weak card. It would be a real shame if WWE produced a poor show for one of my favourite PPVs, but I can take solace in the fact that Payback was a terrible show on paper.

This week’s question regards the SmackDown Money in the Bank Ladder match: who do you think will win the blue briefcase and why?

Follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and tweet me your views with #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Raw sucked. There were little parts that I cared about, like DB fast counting Orton, and all the interactions with Vickie/Brad & Who's In Charge? The last match was pretty good too. My highlight was the crowd chanting JBL and Jerry during a Ziggler match...you know, that guy that everyone seems to drool over and likes to claim he's over with the crowd when he's really not...Of course, near the end, i did hear a whopping 10 people chanting his name.

For MITB, I'm thinking feuds will begin leading into SummerSlam. Orton/Bryan/Kane triple threat, Sheamus vs someone, obviously CM Punk vs Brock, and RVD wins the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2
    A week card!? Mark or John Cena's match could go either way, Dolph vs ADR could go either way. And for once the MITB matches are filled with people that have a chance of winning (But Kane) i really think you are being way too harsh on WWE.
    Maybe the term "weak" is too harsh. I'm just not particularly interested in anything outside of the MitB matches.

As for Cena/Henry, I just don't see Henry winning unless he is immediately cashed in on. I just don't think WWE want to have him as Champion going into SummerSlam over Cena. Ziggler vs. ADR can go either way, but Del Rio's heel character does nothing but bore me into not looking forward to any of his matches. I much prefer his face persona.

I have been known to be harsh on WWE at times, but it balances out given that I can usually find the positives in even the worst episodes of Raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    Raw sucked. There were little parts that I cared about, like DB fast counting Orton, and all the interactions with Vickie/Brad & Who's In Charge? The last match was pretty good too. My highlight was the crowd chanting JBL and Jerry during a Ziggler match...you know, that guy that everyone seems to drool over and likes to claim he's over with the crowd when he's really not...Of course, near the end, i did hear a whopping 10 people chanting his name.

For MITB, I'm thinking feuds will begin leading into SummerSlam. Orton/Bryan/Kane triple threat, Sheamus vs someone, obviously CM Punk vs Brock, and RVD wins the case.
    Your dislike of Ziggler is as well-documented as my dislike of Cena lol. I do agree that the Iowa crowd seemed to have no interest in him though, but they had no interest for most of the show so I would hardly say that it's the most telling crowd.
    once again another great review i agree with you that it was very lackluster the crowd was very off but i guess when you dont have much to cheer for you can not blame them. i hope the ppv will be great with some twists btw everyone is saying it's all heel and all faces but where does rvd really fit how can he come in as a heel when he has had no mic time
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.