View RSS Feed

Anthony_Eckman

Raw 7-1-13 Hits and Misses

Rate this Entry
Overall Score: 5

Hits

Opening Segment:
I always like when they have a match involving many different superstars have a segment together. So it was nice to see everybody, excluding RVD, involved in the WWE Title MitB Ladder Match in the same ring before the PPV. I'm glad they had everybody interacting towards one another just so everybody has heat on each other going into the match. It was odd that everybody after Sheamus that came out came out to no music at all. That kind of made the segment a little awkward.

History of WWE and World Heavyweight Champions: This was a really cool thing they did throughout the show last night. Over the past ten years, some people on different wrestling news sites have said that both titles have lost prestige. They said things like, when CM Punk won the World Title the first time that the title was garbage and that Punk's reign with the WWE Title for over a year was the only great title run of the past decade. Now, I don't really agree with those points but everybody gets their opinions. I loved that they showed how prestiges both titles were and the history of both of them.

The Shield vs. Christian and The Usos: This match was a little clunky and the opponents weren't, let's just say "Shield worthy", but I'm giving this a hit for one reason: Dean Ambrose. He played his character very well in this match. I loved that he mocked Christian several times during the match. It sets up a good rivalry between the two after MitB. I also liked how his expression after the match was like, "Well, that was easy." He's a great performer.

Randy Orton vs. Kane with Daniel Bryan as Special Guest Referee: I liked how Daniel Bryan was used in this match since he is currently involved with both superstars. I also liked how he tried being buddy with Kane and made him win since he cost him the match with Orton last week on Smackdown. I know many people say that Daniel Bryan is acting more like a heel now especially with that quick count but really, I don't think that at all.

Mark Henry Segment:
Another great promo by Mark Henry this week. Everything he said was true. He should have had a shot at the WWE Title well before now. I'll also reittirate that I'm glad he's saying he is going to do anything to win at MitB. It was also great that the announcers played up how much of a threat Henry is to Cena's title reign is. They also did that with the video package they showed on him which was a great way of showing his strength and power.

CM Punk and Curtis Axel vs. The Prime Time Players: Now I don't know about you but I was really looking forward to this match. I really wanted to see how Punk would react to Heyman cheering on Axel but not Punk during the match. Now, they really didn't show Punk reacting to that but still the match was good for storyline reasons. I loved how when Punk was setting up the GTS on Young that Heyman held up the IC Title like he used to do the WWE Title. Pretty funny.

John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio: I'm really glad that they really hyped up their Champion vs. Champion match throughout the show. I remember last year when they did this with Punk and Sheamus and there was no hype and I don't even think the match happened. This match was really good too. Lot of nearfalls and counters to signature moves. The ending was predictable where both number one contenders would come out and distract the champions but it sets up Cena and Ziggler vs. Henry and Del Rio next week before the PPV if they choose to go that route.

Miss

Dolph Ziggler vs. Jinder Mahal: They really need to let Ziggler get on the mic and cement his face turn. Now to use hardcore WWE fans who know how a turn works, we know he's face, but to the casual WWE fan, they don't know what the hell is going on. You can see it in the crowd the past weeks where they don't know how to react to Ziggler. As for the match, stupid to have Ziggler in a filler match, especially since it's his first match since losing the title and second since coming back from a concussion.

Fandango vs. Sheamus: This match was just thrown together out of nowhere and didn't make much sense. I don't like how they continue to make Fandango walk out and get counted out of matches. If he does go on to win the MitB briefcase and cash in to become World Champion, I'm not going to believe in him because he always walks out of matches.

The Miz vs. Ryback: The only good thing about this match was Jericho on commentary. I really don't like that they have Ryback look like a wimp who stops matches. The dude is huge. Stop acting like a girl. I will continue to say that I think Jericho can carry Ryback to a very good match at MitB.

Kaitlyn vs. Alicia Fox: I think this AJ and Kaitlyn feud is going sour. They're being teenage girls by calling one another crazy or fat or whatever. I do like that the announcers told us what Ziggler told AJ because it sets up him leaving the group. More importantly, that's what you wear when you're out on the streets Big E. Langston? Jeez.

Cody Rhodes vs. Antonio Cesaro: Really? A heel vs. heel match? Well I guess that's what you get when you put 7 heels in a MitB match. I think Vince is hoping that the Philadelphia crowd will cheer for Dean Ambrose since they're kind of like Chicago, mostly hardcore fans who cheer for the hot act or heels in general. When did Zeb start turning his back on America as opposed to talking about illegal immigration? I don't get it.

Summary

This Raw was just bad. The crowd was horrible as well. Now how much blame should WWE get? I think it's 50/50. WWE could have put on a better show and promoted more matches and segments, but the crowd should be into the show regardless. They stopped cheering 10 minutes into the show and didn't start again until John Cena's music hit. It really seemed that it was a sea of casual WWE fans who didn't know what to do. My advice to Vince, don't go back to Iowa for a long time.

Submit "Raw 7-1-13 Hits and Misses" to Digg Submit "Raw 7-1-13 Hits and Misses" to del.icio.us Submit "Raw 7-1-13 Hits and Misses" to StumbleUpon Submit "Raw 7-1-13 Hits and Misses" to Google

Comments

I personally think the Kane,DB & Orton storyline has ran its course already they need to turn DB or Randy heel already with a tittle run. If that's not the plan then let Bryan will the MITB and have a face run but use win to prove hes not the weak link .
    You expect fans to just cheer anything? I get that WWE would expect that after what they did last November in the UK and this week, but WWE doesn't have a divine right to expect crowd interaction when they throw a show together with no real purpose.

The fans react because WWE usually does enough to emit that reaction, not because we feel like we have to. Once the money is paid for tickets, the ball is in WWE's court. If they don't put on a decent and interesting show then there is no reason to take part in it. The only thing the Iowa crowd did wrong was fail to show their protest at what was happening throughout the show in a more entertaining way.

The blame is not 50/50 in my eyes, but it is not completely WWE's fault. Some crowds are just bland, but WWE is responsible for entertaining their fans so it is more likely 80/20 with WWE taking the brunt of the responsibility.

This week's Raw was a phone-in, and the crowd's lack of interest is proof of that.
    I Agree the crowd was awful and i liked that the above comment stated that they just didn't protest in a better way lol the wwe needs to bring a good show i know not every week is going to be a hit but some depth would be nice. i am attending a smack down taping in a week and half and i am hoping for the best

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.