View RSS Feed

Derahk

The Return of Rob Van Dam

Rate this Entry
July 14, 2013 will mark the return of Rob Van Dam to the WWE at their Money in the Bank Pay Per View. He was last seen in the promotion at the 2009 Royal Rumble. He has since been employed by TNA aka ‘Impact Wrestling.’

Though not a personal favorite of mine, he is immensely talented and a big name in the business. Not on the level of The Rock and Brock Lesnar as far as general popularity, he has way more credo with the hardcore wrestling fans and a well needed shot in the arm for the WWE.

The burning question on everyone’s mind is, what will they do with him creatively? The obvious is to align him with Paul Heyman but I think that’s the furthest thing from appropriate to do with him. Paul is positioned as the monster heel of the company and RVD would not work as a bad guy, he’s too exciting in the ring. They can allude to his past and have future storylines with The Walrus, but I wouldn’t right out of the gate.

I wouldn’t put him into a match on his debut. The Money in the Bank is for those who have put the time in and can use this as a stepping stone for bigger matches and I wouldn’t put him in to just have him lose. I would have him cut a promo, letting the people know where he stands in the company and what his motivations are. I would then have the promo close with his famous ‘ROB, VAN, DA- *static* SIERRA HOTEL INDIA ECHO LIMA DELTA, SHIELD.’ The Shield comes down to the ring and cut their promo about how ‘veterans’ and ‘part timers’ don’t have a place in the ‘E. They begin to attack RVD with preferably Christian and Kane to the rescue (Jericho would work also), leading to a solo bout between Rob and Ambrose and tag match with Christian/Kane at Summerslam.

This puts RVD in a very sweet spot. The U.S. Title’s facade is that it is the lowest in prestige compared to the other titles so it gives the illusion that RVD is far from the main event scene and gives him room to climb which makes this work on one level. But that’s just on the surface. Ambrose has elevated the title far above the IC strap and he, himself, is arguably one of the top three talents in the company.

An RVD/Ambrose feud would elevate both gentlemen. Losing the U.S. Title at Summerslam to RVD, which I would do, would not hurt Ambrose who, I am sure, the WWE are protecting. The U.S. Title arena also keeps RVD from Punk and Cena for a while to allow for a proper build up. It also helps build the younger talent. RVD can have some good matches with Kofi Kingston, R Truth, Antonio Cesaro and the Miz. All matches I’m looking forward to. It also helps for damage control. It’s a low enough title that if he is only on TV and PPVs then it’s not a blow to house shows.

The balancing act with older guys is that you can’t push them to the top nor have them lose every week. They have done a great job with Chris Jericho this year, a great model for future part timers. The Rock was pushed crazy over and Brock Lesnar under done. A video package to sell the pay-per-view suggests they have big plans for RVD so we’ll see.

If he’s still over at the end of the year, then they can entertain a possible Cena, Bryan or Punk bout at WrestleMania 30 and/or a possible WHC title run. However, I don’t like seeing these guys with the WWE title. As displayed by the Rock, it just doesn’t work. That title should be reserved for the full timers. Putting the WWE title on RVD would cause the crowd to turn on him, and even if it was intentional, RVD wouldn’t work as a heel.

Let me know what you think. You can check out my other musings on derahk.com

Submit "The Return of Rob Van Dam" to Digg Submit "The Return of Rob Van Dam" to del.icio.us Submit "The Return of Rob Van Dam" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Return of Rob Van Dam" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You are disrespecting RVD if you ask me. He was the most popular wrestler on WCW/ECW side. The only one getting cheers when he was not on WWF's side. It wasn't just Hardcore fans. He would get cheered better than WWF guys. They were considering having him win the WWF title from Steve Austin during that time. 02 again most popular guy on the Raw brand. Am I saying he will be remember on the same level as Rock or Austin? No, but the main reason for that is being held back during those time periods when he was hot. RVD sold plenty of merchandise and was over with the crowd.

I don't see much of an issue having him put in a MITB ladder match. Fans would go nuts if he is up there and they think he is going to win. If heel like Barrett or Ryback is going to win.....be a perfect way to start a feud with one of them going in to Summerslam. I don't believe a loss in MITB will hurt him. RVD is one of the best in the ring especially with a ladder involved. Philly fans will be po over him not competing.

However, if he isn't going to compete. What is he going to do? Come out and make a promo taking time from other matches? What would he say? Putting over Axel at Summerslam would be a cool deal as well. Paul introduces him in front of that crowd that begins to chant ECW. He doesn't join him which causes Axel feud to happen at Summerslam.

I doubt he is going to talk about going after a world or WWE title since Daniel Bryan and Dolph are chasing. Christian/Kane dynamic wouldn't work. Now the plan is to have Taker/Kane to face Shield at Summerslam. Don't know if it is 2 on 3 or just a tag match. However, RVD being placed against the Shield doesn't make sense for that reason. Ambrose has been the one mocking Taker as well. So it only makes sense for it to be a handicap match.
    Somehow I can't shake this feeling that RVD will end up feuding with Damien Sandow. I'd prefer he do something else but just can't shake the feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    You are disrespecting RVD if you ask me. He was the most popular wrestler on WCW/ECW side. The only one getting cheers when he was not on WWF's side. It wasn't just Hardcore fans. He would get cheered better than WWF guys. They were considering having him win the WWF title from Steve Austin during that time. 02 again most popular guy on the Raw brand. Am I saying he will be remember on the same level as Rock or Austin? No, but the main reason for that is being held back during those time periods when he was hot. RVD sold plenty of merchandise and was over with the crowd.

I don't see much of an issue having him put in a MITB ladder match. Fans would go nuts if he is up there and they think he is going to win. If heel like Barrett or Ryback is going to win.....be a perfect way to start a feud with one of them going in to Summerslam. I don't believe a loss in MITB will hurt him. RVD is one of the best in the ring especially with a ladder involved. Philly fans will be po over him not competing.

However, if he isn't going to compete. What is he going to do? Come out and make a promo taking time from other matches? What would he say? Putting over Axel at Summerslam would be a cool deal as well. Paul introduces him in front of that crowd that begins to chant ECW. He doesn't join him which causes Axel feud to happen at Summerslam.

I doubt he is going to talk about going after a world or WWE title since Daniel Bryan and Dolph are chasing. Christian/Kane dynamic wouldn't work. Now the plan is to have Taker/Kane to face Shield at Summerslam. Don't know if it is 2 on 3 or just a tag match. However, RVD being placed against the Shield doesn't make sense for that reason. Ambrose has been the one mocking Taker as well. So it only makes sense for it to be a handicap match.
    ^^^^^This. I see no problem with RVD being in the MITB match. There can only be one winner, so inevitably there will be 7 losers. Losing the match can still get a guy over if he has a spectacular match or goes straight spot-monkey during the match. RVD, even with a MITB loss can be transitioned into several different feuds stemming from happenings in the match.
    I just hope he gets a decent push as long as he looks better than in TNA...the guy can put on incredible matches and I was a little disappointed that he didn't go further in WWE first go-round...he's a HOF and they need to use him...

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.