View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die...

Rating: 8 votes, 3.75 average.
It’s been a while since I wrote on the How to Regain a Loyal Fan series. Being that I am OCD of sorts, I don’t like the idea of leaving this unfinished. However, I made a bit of an error in my 12 critical points and even writing the title to this blog made me cringe a bit. If you want to know what they are, simply follow the links to my other blogs to understand what I laid out over a year ago. If not, all you need to know is that I expressed 12 things that need to happen in the wrestling industry, and this topic is one of them. I still feel solid in saying that there are some great ideas in the IWC for the wrestling product, booking, storylines, and dream matches… But some ideas need to die in the IWC.


I have taken this long to write on this subject because I have come to accept the fact that blogging in general is just a chance for some who think their ideas are the only way that wrestling should operate. It’s a soapbox for the disillusioned to rant and rave about what is shit, or what miracle push to a superstar will make everything magically better for everyone; even if you don’t agree, it will be better because it is what I want to happen and I know best. This idea needs to die in the IWC.

Such selfishness and egotism makes me happy that the creative departments ignore the masses in the IWC. We all have this thought that since we have been fans for so long, we know how things should be done; everyone else is out of touch with reality. Yet the corporation that is WWE turns millions of dollars in profit each year. TNA still registers their million viewers each week, all without doing what IWC member X said HAS TO BE DONE in order to be a successful company putting out a successful program.

I am proud to be a knowledgeable wrestling fan who has in-depth conversation about something I am passionate about with other who share the same enthusiasm for the program, but far too often I feel that those who are “inside” the industry I love are right; (Some) Internet fans should just shut the hell up.


I wrote a blog a while back about the Top Feud in Wrestling and it still stands as the biggest battle; Fans versus other Fans. Perhaps this is one of the things that factors into my feelings about the IWC at the moment. Far too often we see IWC fans taking cheap shots at other products; this idea needs to die in the IWC. Sure, I can crack a few jokes about how bad Claire Lynch was for TNA.

I can also take a few shots at how bland the WWE product has been for a while. A quick jab about the “Big Signing” for Dixie being a fighter who will see more time on Bellator than in TNA. A blow to WWE about how their poster boy has been running the same shtick for the past decade. I have no issues with specifically identifying things that you feel to be “silly” or “annoying” with a product. But the IWC seems to have become less of a place to discuss these things, and more of a place to call all things related to promotion X as “shit” and then leave it at that.

No thought behind why you think WWE/TNA is a shit product; “it sucks” is apparently the depth of thought that the new generation of fan can register. I am not sure if this is just the sad state that society has come to, or if the Internet Wrestling Community as a whole is slowly losing their ability to have a discussion about something they are spending hours of time invested into weekly. What gives?


When I wrote that the IWC shouldn’t be a place where great ideas die, I had an upbeat message. I was going to steer you towards how you can provide each company in question with positive feedback as to what elements of their product they should be focusing on. A place to provide information to these companies what you would hope to see in their show.

Think of it as those in the IWC being a focus group for the brands that we most enjoy; we the consumer have a chance to voice our honest feedback to these people about what we like about their product.
There are even websites set up for this sole purpose.

However I am reluctant to pass such information along to the masses of the IWC based on the reasoning that I don’t think the majority can actually provide “positive feedback” to these companies because all I seem to encounter these days are the “this sucks” types (this also needs to die in the IWC).

Such “constructive criticism” by such deep thinkers would blow the minds of those who take the time to read the feedback they are given; yes they read what you write and sometimes will even send you a responding email, thanking you for your input as a fan and commenting on your ideas.


Yes, the IWC does have some GREAT ideas. Austin Aries vs. Kurt Angle, how to incorporate the Wyatt Family to make an immediate impact, potential directions for The Shield, Who should be the cause of A&8’s demise; there has been excellent discussion on such great topics or potential booking of dream matches.

But this great discussion gets lost among those with the “look at me” complex who state that “it sucks” or care only to make negative comments about something without providing any sort of thought as to a countering or “better” direction to take things in. Some who do take the time to think of what they want to see are quick to dismiss any counter opinion or thought as “stupid” because it’s not what THEY as an individual want to see.

There are VERY few in the IWC at the moment that I feel could actually give their constructive criticism on what they think should happen and be okay with the product if it doesn’t go in the direction they would like, thinking about the masses and not the individual fan that they are. Don’t get me wrong, I too have been guilty of such thoughts at times. However, I am not so dense as to think that people should ONLY eat chocolate ice cream and that every other flavor “sucks”. Such idiotic thinking should die in the IWC.


As always, feel free to comment and I will reply as I can. Have a different opinion? Make your valid points as I always enjoy hearing them. Like what you read? Subscribe to this series and follow along as I continue giving my take on how the industry is progressing and regressing simultaneously.

If you feel like you’ve missed the direction of this blog, check out the previous blog archives and catch up a bit on where my opinions are based from(this will also help you understand why I choose the word “loyal”) and what the goal of this series truly is; How to regain loyal fans.

Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Digg Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to del.icio.us Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to StumbleUpon Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Google

Updated 06-10-2013 at 11:15 AM by Rated_R(ob)KO

Tags: fans, iwc, tna, wrestling, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    I am paraphrasing on a lot of your quotes, just so you guys know.

    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    I'm not arguing that people shoukdnt contribute more at all. I agree with you here. I'm just saying that if all they want to say is "that sucks", then its completely fine. No harm no foul. It definetly doesn't constitute writing a blog such as this.

    In all honesty, I read your title and was expecting a positive blog... Instead I got a pessimistic blog where you're basically saying you don't like people quirks and they should stop... For every positive thing on this site, there always seems to be 2 negatives behind it. I hate the negativity. It brings me down.


    I guess we differ in that since I am a wrestling fan and come to the IWC to discuss this sport I dedicate my fandom to, I require a bit more than someone just saying “This sucks” thinking that the statement alone is enough to inform me as to their opinions. Sure, I know you don’t like it, but I have no clue why you don’t like it. Being that I enjoy deep thinking and reflecting upon the opinions of others, it is bothersome to me that people can’t register a thought beyond this and helps to confirm the opinions of the insiders who treat the IWC fans as worth less than those casual fans. Unless we demonstrate how we as the “loyal” fans to the product are competent enough to register a solid opinion, why then should the wrestling industry care that we think “this sucks”?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
    Long and colorful blog, so I guess that means its well written. Seemed a tad bit egotistical and derivative to me. Wasn't this basically a blog about how other blogs should be written? Lets leave this in the forum next time and leave the blog section for actual wrestling talk.


    This wasn’t a blog telling others how to write a blog; it was a blog about the current state of the IWC. A state that is perceived as negative and naive by not just a fellow IWC member such as myself, but by those members of the industry who consistently “put down” the internet fans. I will thank you for your suggestion; leaving a “Long and colorful blog” in the “forum section” (yeah, a bit confusing.) Perhaps you might not view the “Internet Wrestling Community” and it’s current state as being “wrestling talk”, but I do, which is why I wrote this, what you would consider a really long forum post, in the first place.
  2. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagg
    Im starting to feel like i just got trolled too because you wrote a blog complaining about people complaining about wrestling and then you in fact in the blog, complained about wrestling!

    If you don't like people complaining about wrestling, you leave the site i guess. Because even in the glory days of the Attitude era, you could still go in yahoo chat rooms and see people.....complaining about wrestling.


    At least you are showing a bit of in-depth thinking, now aren’t you? Read the my last reply I will give to weems; it will help clear up the fact that I have no problem with people voicing their distaste for something, but I do have a problem with people who make us in the IWC seem like children who deserve to be treated like we do not know any better.

    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    I will know give my 2 cents on this blog: I disagree with the majority of the content in the blog. The IWC exists right now because wrestling has a cult following... I never had any interest going on the net to talk wrestling back then b/c I was constantly discussing it with my buddies. That's not the case anymore... Therefore, the only people I can talk wrestling with are the people (all of which I don't actually know) on this site. When I am on this site, I am just looking to bullshit and enjoy myself. I am not looking to have an intellectual discussion or feel that I am more qualified than the WWE creative team.

    Also, if somebody says Cena and his 5 moves of doom suck, well then that is their opinion and so be it. This blog is suggesting that the person making the anti Cena comment should then be obligated to suggest a different move set for Cena to learn along with a wrestling school of where he can learn that move set.


    Your comment is void because you are a Colts fan; Go Texans.

    With seriousness, I wasn’t a college kid and I can accept your point of view disagreeing with the content of the blog. We are roughly the same age, but we both use the IWC for differing things, yet have the same intent. The IWC has existed since the internet became popular. I was tape trading through mIRC back in the early 90s before the AE with hundreds of people. This internet community is what Paul Heyman used as his army to get ECW on PPV. There have been moments in which the IWC has shown to be a great tool for this industry; SmartMark video making Indy wrestling such as Chikara available to a massive amount of fans, YouTube videos and compilations that help up and coming stars (Prince Devitt, Ricochet, Sami Callahan, Adam Cole currently) gain notoriety as the diligent fans would spread word of these guys to the casual (or “closet”) fans. People like CM Punk, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Austin Aries, Kings of Wrestling, Samoa Joe; these guys are “darlings” of the IWC because the IWC saw the potential before the “big leagues” signed them. Without the IWC, most in the states would have no clue about KENTA outside of a tweet that CM Punk sent out, which is also directed to the IWC as they the ones who follow him. The IWC was social media for wrestling before social media became as relevant as it is today. That being said, I find it sad that the minds that inspired such awesome acts are now becoming limited to a point of view that cannot grasp an opinion past two words.


    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    I also want to express my opinion in that sometimes it is okay to say something "sucks." I agree with you 100% when somebody writes a great blog focused on Impact or a TNA PPV and than gets a comment saying "TNA sucks" that it is just uncalled for. However, when the Great Kahli is involved in a segment (whether it be wrestling, a promo, a backstage comedy skit, wearing the Mysterio mask, kissing Mae Young, etc.) it is okay to just use the bland "this sucks" when describing Kahli's work. There is no reason to elaborate on why the segment sucked b/c everything Kahli has been involved with over the last 3 years has been abysmal.

    I said in my blog that I take no offense to those who pick out and state the things they find silly or aggravating about wrestling. It is when people have no reasoning behind what they say that makes the comments of those in the industry accurate statements as to how “moronic” the internet fans are. Being that I myself am an Internet fan, I take offense to this being a common stereotype for my community and by writing this blog, I am trying to help this image of ALL OF US to become less truthful and accurate.
  3. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    To all who gave positive feedback for the blog, I thank you. To those who disagree with my blog, I appreciate the fact that you gave valid and in-depth responses as to why you disagree. This is why I wrote the blog in the first place; to inspire us all to actually voice our opinions. Sure, you might not have liked the direction, tone, or overall content of what was said in the blog, but you were able to overcome the common idea that we inside the IWC are incapable of having intelligent thought and conversation. We will not always agree as we all have our individual taste, but being that we are adults there is no reason why we should not openly discuss this without fear of judgment, contempt for those of differing opinion, and reflection upon why it is we view something the way we do.

    I stated in the blog that I intended to have a positive and upbeat message when I originally had this thought for my series. At the time I wrote this, I did not feel that the positive message I intended would go further than falling upon deaf ears. While you have shown me that it is possible for us to have such intelligent conversation, I still stand behind the fact that the majority collective known as the IWC, at this time, isn’t capable of providing positive or constructive feedback to the companies that offer places for us to voice our opinions. Why do I think this? Because if we are arguing that having the opinion that something is not to our liking, and then fight for the right to not defend our position of our opinion, we are not yet at the point to where we can voice these opinions to these companies. If I made a product (we’ll say a table) and I wanted feedback from those who bought my product, someone telling me “it sucks” does nothing to help me improve my product for my consumers. Telling me “the wood you used was cheap” or “the screws kept falling out of their slots” helps me to find a solution to make a better product.

    As to those who are of the collective view that this blog was directed towards the idea that the IWC could “change the WWE/VKM”, I strongly urge you to read my other blogs. I have no binding ties to the WWE, nor do I think that the “roar of the IWC” would change many things inside their corporate structure. If you had read ANY of my blogs you would see that I am loyal to the “wrestling industry” meaning from the smallest of wrestling schools/promotions, to the wrestlers as individuals, to the big corporations. The IWC has proven its value as a tool for this industry in the past and is currently doing so here in the present. The talks of guys such as Tyler Black or Jon Moxley might not have forced WWE’s hand to sign them to a contract, but the conversations or passing of video of these guys across the internet doesn’t hurt them when the WWE sees that there are fans who are already investing in them. Do I think that we are the ones who create future stars? No; not by any stretch of the imagination. However I do feel that we are the ones who get to see the potential inside the stars of the future before they ever hit the “national” scene, which I think is perhaps my favorite part of being a member of this community that I enjoy so much. Thank you all for your time.
  4. weems's Avatar
    I have enjoyed reading the comments and your rebuttals to the comments more than the blog itself. Don't take that the wrong way, this blog was spectacular. That being said, I wish this site would put the blog back on their homepage for a few more days. This blog was only up there for about a day and only 2000 people have had the chance to view it. If it was still on the main page and remained there for another 2 or 3 days, this blog could perhaps surpass 10,000 views and 100 comments which would be great. Point being, people like myself can be entertained and amused by reading everyone's varying opinion. Meanwhile, your blog could be read by more members of the IWC which ultimately is your goal (at least I think it is anyways) since this blog addresses the actions of the IWC itself, opposed to a more typical top 10 list blog.
    Updated 06-12-2013 at 02:06 PM by weems
  5. Steve's Right Peg of Doom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Well I definitely don't come on here to bask in yours. And even if I did, judging by this conversation, I wouldn't be able to. So I'm finished with this convo. Have a good day. Make sure to stay out of the street.
    I love you man, I hope you know that!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.