View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die...

Rating: 8 votes, 3.75 average.
It’s been a while since I wrote on the How to Regain a Loyal Fan series. Being that I am OCD of sorts, I don’t like the idea of leaving this unfinished. However, I made a bit of an error in my 12 critical points and even writing the title to this blog made me cringe a bit. If you want to know what they are, simply follow the links to my other blogs to understand what I laid out over a year ago. If not, all you need to know is that I expressed 12 things that need to happen in the wrestling industry, and this topic is one of them. I still feel solid in saying that there are some great ideas in the IWC for the wrestling product, booking, storylines, and dream matches… But some ideas need to die in the IWC.

I have taken this long to write on this subject because I have come to accept the fact that blogging in general is just a chance for some who think their ideas are the only way that wrestling should operate. It’s a soapbox for the disillusioned to rant and rave about what is shit, or what miracle push to a superstar will make everything magically better for everyone; even if you don’t agree, it will be better because it is what I want to happen and I know best. This idea needs to die in the IWC.

Such selfishness and egotism makes me happy that the creative departments ignore the masses in the IWC. We all have this thought that since we have been fans for so long, we know how things should be done; everyone else is out of touch with reality. Yet the corporation that is WWE turns millions of dollars in profit each year. TNA still registers their million viewers each week, all without doing what IWC member X said HAS TO BE DONE in order to be a successful company putting out a successful program.

I am proud to be a knowledgeable wrestling fan who has in-depth conversation about something I am passionate about with other who share the same enthusiasm for the program, but far too often I feel that those who are “inside” the industry I love are right; (Some) Internet fans should just shut the hell up.

I wrote a blog a while back about the Top Feud in Wrestling and it still stands as the biggest battle; Fans versus other Fans. Perhaps this is one of the things that factors into my feelings about the IWC at the moment. Far too often we see IWC fans taking cheap shots at other products; this idea needs to die in the IWC. Sure, I can crack a few jokes about how bad Claire Lynch was for TNA.

I can also take a few shots at how bland the WWE product has been for a while. A quick jab about the “Big Signing” for Dixie being a fighter who will see more time on Bellator than in TNA. A blow to WWE about how their poster boy has been running the same shtick for the past decade. I have no issues with specifically identifying things that you feel to be “silly” or “annoying” with a product. But the IWC seems to have become less of a place to discuss these things, and more of a place to call all things related to promotion X as “shit” and then leave it at that.

No thought behind why you think WWE/TNA is a shit product; “it sucks” is apparently the depth of thought that the new generation of fan can register. I am not sure if this is just the sad state that society has come to, or if the Internet Wrestling Community as a whole is slowly losing their ability to have a discussion about something they are spending hours of time invested into weekly. What gives?

When I wrote that the IWC shouldn’t be a place where great ideas die, I had an upbeat message. I was going to steer you towards how you can provide each company in question with positive feedback as to what elements of their product they should be focusing on. A place to provide information to these companies what you would hope to see in their show.

Think of it as those in the IWC being a focus group for the brands that we most enjoy; we the consumer have a chance to voice our honest feedback to these people about what we like about their product.
There are even websites set up for this sole purpose.

However I am reluctant to pass such information along to the masses of the IWC based on the reasoning that I don’t think the majority can actually provide “positive feedback” to these companies because all I seem to encounter these days are the “this sucks” types (this also needs to die in the IWC).

Such “constructive criticism” by such deep thinkers would blow the minds of those who take the time to read the feedback they are given; yes they read what you write and sometimes will even send you a responding email, thanking you for your input as a fan and commenting on your ideas.

Yes, the IWC does have some GREAT ideas. Austin Aries vs. Kurt Angle, how to incorporate the Wyatt Family to make an immediate impact, potential directions for The Shield, Who should be the cause of A&8’s demise; there has been excellent discussion on such great topics or potential booking of dream matches.

But this great discussion gets lost among those with the “look at me” complex who state that “it sucks” or care only to make negative comments about something without providing any sort of thought as to a countering or “better” direction to take things in. Some who do take the time to think of what they want to see are quick to dismiss any counter opinion or thought as “stupid” because it’s not what THEY as an individual want to see.

There are VERY few in the IWC at the moment that I feel could actually give their constructive criticism on what they think should happen and be okay with the product if it doesn’t go in the direction they would like, thinking about the masses and not the individual fan that they are. Don’t get me wrong, I too have been guilty of such thoughts at times. However, I am not so dense as to think that people should ONLY eat chocolate ice cream and that every other flavor “sucks”. Such idiotic thinking should die in the IWC.

As always, feel free to comment and I will reply as I can. Have a different opinion? Make your valid points as I always enjoy hearing them. Like what you read? Subscribe to this series and follow along as I continue giving my take on how the industry is progressing and regressing simultaneously.

If you feel like you’ve missed the direction of this blog, check out the previous blog archives and catch up a bit on where my opinions are based from(this will also help you understand why I choose the word “loyal”) and what the goal of this series truly is; How to regain loyal fans.

Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Digg Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to del.icio.us Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to StumbleUpon Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Google

Updated 06-10-2013 at 11:15 AM by Rated_R(ob)KO

Tags: fans, iwc, tna, wrestling, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well written, well thought out blog. I tip my hat to you, sir.
    Think you should have used more bold sentences
    Excellent blog squire. You know my thoughts on the Drive By iWC.
    Ignore blink, he's still pissed he got banned for belittling a female who dared to post on a wrestling web site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Right Peg of Doom
    Excellent blog squire. You know my thoughts on the Drive By iWC.
    Ignore blink, he's still pissed he got banned for belittling a female who dared to post on a wrestling web site!
    Haha that old thing. Kind of funny hoe the female herself wasn't mad but by god every guy on there was disgusted by the sexism. Just a bunch of oversensative keyboard w arriors that think standing up for a female online will somehow make them more appealing to girls in real life. And the comment wasn't even sexist. Calling a woman difficult is on the same level as calling an irish a drunk or saying an indian can't hold his liquor (I'm indan. That statement is true.)

Back on topic here, I hate guacamole. Why would I say I like salsa? No one is talking about salsa. But I see where you're saying that if I did say I prefer salsa that would actually contribute to the conversation. I'm not arguing that people shoukdnt contribute more at all. I agree with you here. I'm just saying that if all they want to say is "that sucks", then its completely fine. No harm no foul. It definetly doesn't constitute writing a blog such as this.

In all honesty, I read your title and was expecting a positive blog about how it'd be nice if the wwe listened to us sometimes because we have great ideas on rare occasions. Instead I got a pessimistic blog where you're basically saying you don't like people quirks and they should stop. That bugged me. I mean honestly, if someone wantwants to contribute only "this sucks", then who cares? Just go with it! For every positive thing on this site, there always seems to be 2 negatives behind it. I hate the negativity. It brings me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Haha that old thing. Kind of funny hoe the female herself wasn't mad but by god every guy on there was disgusted by the sexism. Just a bunch of oversensative keyboard w arriors that think standing up for a female online will somehow make them more appealing to girls in real life. And the comment wasn't even sexist. Calling a woman difficult is on the same level as calling an irish a drunk or saying an indian can't hold his liquor (I'm indan. That statement is true.)

Back on topic here, I hate guacamole. Why would I say I like salsa? No one is talking about salsa. But I see where you're saying that if I did say I prefer salsa that would actually contribute to the conversation. I'm not arguing that people shoukdnt contribute more at all. I agree with you here. I'm just saying that if all they want to say is "that sucks", then its completely fine. No harm no foul. It definetly doesn't constitute writing a blog such as this.

In all honesty, I read your title and was expecting a positive blog about how it'd be nice if the wwe listened to us sometimes because we have great ideas on rare occasions. Instead I got a pessimistic blog where you're basically saying you don't like people quirks and they should stop. That bugged me. I mean honestly, if someone wantwants to contribute only "this sucks", then who cares? Just go with it! For every positive thing on this site, there always seems to be 2 negatives behind it. I hate the negativity. It brings me down.
    Funny how she stopped using the site not long after.

'Oversensative keyboard warriors that think standing up for a female online will somehow make them more appealing to girls in real life'

Wow I bet it took some brain power to come up with this never seen before witty retort. Have you had copy & paste lessons off good 'ol Ryan Clark?
    Took about as much brain power as it did for you to come up with you ewn alias. Who cares if she left? People come and go. Hopefully you'll be thr next to leave... I mean why not? You apparently have a problem with how Ryan Clark posts his news... so why stay? Also I don't see why people always complaib about that. He gathers all the news from various sites and brings them all to one. Its conveniant
    Long and colorful blog, so I guess that means its well written. Seemed a tad bit egotistical and derivative to me. Wasn't this basically a blog about how other blogs should be written? Lets leave this in the forum next time and leave the blog section for actual wrestling talk.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.