View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die...

Rating: 8 votes, 3.75 average.
It’s been a while since I wrote on the How to Regain a Loyal Fan series. Being that I am OCD of sorts, I don’t like the idea of leaving this unfinished. However, I made a bit of an error in my 12 critical points and even writing the title to this blog made me cringe a bit. If you want to know what they are, simply follow the links to my other blogs to understand what I laid out over a year ago. If not, all you need to know is that I expressed 12 things that need to happen in the wrestling industry, and this topic is one of them. I still feel solid in saying that there are some great ideas in the IWC for the wrestling product, booking, storylines, and dream matches… But some ideas need to die in the IWC.


I have taken this long to write on this subject because I have come to accept the fact that blogging in general is just a chance for some who think their ideas are the only way that wrestling should operate. It’s a soapbox for the disillusioned to rant and rave about what is shit, or what miracle push to a superstar will make everything magically better for everyone; even if you don’t agree, it will be better because it is what I want to happen and I know best. This idea needs to die in the IWC.

Such selfishness and egotism makes me happy that the creative departments ignore the masses in the IWC. We all have this thought that since we have been fans for so long, we know how things should be done; everyone else is out of touch with reality. Yet the corporation that is WWE turns millions of dollars in profit each year. TNA still registers their million viewers each week, all without doing what IWC member X said HAS TO BE DONE in order to be a successful company putting out a successful program.

I am proud to be a knowledgeable wrestling fan who has in-depth conversation about something I am passionate about with other who share the same enthusiasm for the program, but far too often I feel that those who are “inside” the industry I love are right; (Some) Internet fans should just shut the hell up.


I wrote a blog a while back about the Top Feud in Wrestling and it still stands as the biggest battle; Fans versus other Fans. Perhaps this is one of the things that factors into my feelings about the IWC at the moment. Far too often we see IWC fans taking cheap shots at other products; this idea needs to die in the IWC. Sure, I can crack a few jokes about how bad Claire Lynch was for TNA.

I can also take a few shots at how bland the WWE product has been for a while. A quick jab about the “Big Signing” for Dixie being a fighter who will see more time on Bellator than in TNA. A blow to WWE about how their poster boy has been running the same shtick for the past decade. I have no issues with specifically identifying things that you feel to be “silly” or “annoying” with a product. But the IWC seems to have become less of a place to discuss these things, and more of a place to call all things related to promotion X as “shit” and then leave it at that.

No thought behind why you think WWE/TNA is a shit product; “it sucks” is apparently the depth of thought that the new generation of fan can register. I am not sure if this is just the sad state that society has come to, or if the Internet Wrestling Community as a whole is slowly losing their ability to have a discussion about something they are spending hours of time invested into weekly. What gives?


When I wrote that the IWC shouldn’t be a place where great ideas die, I had an upbeat message. I was going to steer you towards how you can provide each company in question with positive feedback as to what elements of their product they should be focusing on. A place to provide information to these companies what you would hope to see in their show.

Think of it as those in the IWC being a focus group for the brands that we most enjoy; we the consumer have a chance to voice our honest feedback to these people about what we like about their product.
There are even websites set up for this sole purpose.

However I am reluctant to pass such information along to the masses of the IWC based on the reasoning that I don’t think the majority can actually provide “positive feedback” to these companies because all I seem to encounter these days are the “this sucks” types (this also needs to die in the IWC).

Such “constructive criticism” by such deep thinkers would blow the minds of those who take the time to read the feedback they are given; yes they read what you write and sometimes will even send you a responding email, thanking you for your input as a fan and commenting on your ideas.


Yes, the IWC does have some GREAT ideas. Austin Aries vs. Kurt Angle, how to incorporate the Wyatt Family to make an immediate impact, potential directions for The Shield, Who should be the cause of A&8’s demise; there has been excellent discussion on such great topics or potential booking of dream matches.

But this great discussion gets lost among those with the “look at me” complex who state that “it sucks” or care only to make negative comments about something without providing any sort of thought as to a countering or “better” direction to take things in. Some who do take the time to think of what they want to see are quick to dismiss any counter opinion or thought as “stupid” because it’s not what THEY as an individual want to see.

There are VERY few in the IWC at the moment that I feel could actually give their constructive criticism on what they think should happen and be okay with the product if it doesn’t go in the direction they would like, thinking about the masses and not the individual fan that they are. Don’t get me wrong, I too have been guilty of such thoughts at times. However, I am not so dense as to think that people should ONLY eat chocolate ice cream and that every other flavor “sucks”. Such idiotic thinking should die in the IWC.


As always, feel free to comment and I will reply as I can. Have a different opinion? Make your valid points as I always enjoy hearing them. Like what you read? Subscribe to this series and follow along as I continue giving my take on how the industry is progressing and regressing simultaneously.

If you feel like you’ve missed the direction of this blog, check out the previous blog archives and catch up a bit on where my opinions are based from(this will also help you understand why I choose the word “loyal”) and what the goal of this series truly is; How to regain loyal fans.

Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Digg Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to del.icio.us Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to StumbleUpon Submit "The IWC Shouldn't Be A Place Where Great Ideas Die..." to Google

Updated 06-10-2013 at 11:15 AM by Rated_R(ob)KO

Tags: fans, iwc, tna, wrestling, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. T-Hughes35's Avatar
    Very nice job Ron. I couldn't have said it better myself.
  2. blink's Avatar
    Am I the only one who is a little annoyed that he took all this time to basically chastise us for using our accounts how they want? Yeah I say tna sucks. Cuz to me, it sucks. What further explanation should I give? This very long and pissy blog couldve been space used for something better... like someone else's top 10 list or some other bull shit. This blog...it...it sucks.
  3. JohnnyV123's Avatar
    Although I dislike that you included the typical "I am doing it right so you should follow what I do" kind of comment in your blog I agree with you.

    Most of the comments on this site recently have been very mean spirited and have nothing to do with why we should be watching. TNA only drew 600 fans to a show?! LOL! Raw had its lowest rating in 15 years! LOL!

    Seriously, have people ever done that with another show? You watch a doctor show that you think is amazing with only 3 million viewers when another doctor show on TV is pulling in 20 million. People don't tear into each other about ratings.

    Sure, they may rip it apart for the content, which is completely acceptable. You will always have fans of any show who complain that what they wanted to happen didn't happen. "I wanted Randy Orton to turn heel!" "I wanted blah blah and blah blah to get together!"

    Yeah, it's childish to say "it sucks!" only because the thing you wanted to happen didn't....if the other thing that DID happen was still good.

    People just need to get back to commenting on the content and not on the petty BS and what ifs. "I don't like TNA because Bully Ray bores me." "I don't watch WWE because I am sick of John Cena being the same character."

    Tone it back some people.
  4. Kajmere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Am I the only one who is a little annoyed that he took all this time to basically chastise us for using our accounts how they want? Yeah I say tna sucks. Cuz to me, it sucks. What further explanation should I give? This very long and pissy blog couldve been space used for something better... like someone else's top 10 list or some other bull shit. This blog...it...it sucks.
    The fact that you disagree with his view in the blog (which is totally fine) doesnt necessarily negate the fact that it was a nice, well written piece.
  5. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Am I the only one who is a little annoyed that he took all this time to basically chastise us for using our accounts how they want? Yeah I say tna sucks. Cuz to me, it sucks. What further explanation should I give? This very long and pissy blog couldve been space used for something better... like someone else's top 10 list or some other bull shit. This blog...it...it sucks.



    I like how you helped to prove my point, but I’ll get to that. Firstly, I am not telling ANYONE how to be a user on a wrestling website; there is a rules page for you to view in order to learn that. I am also not “chastising” you for anything; I am not your conscience. What I am displaying is the fact that those in the IWC complain that “creative sucks” or that “VKM is out of touch with the youth” yet the same user does NOTHING to offer a better view on what they feel is the “right direction” for the product. The same user will also lash out at any other user who differs in opinion when a counter position is offered. Far too many children are proclaiming to revoke the invitations to their birthday party if you don’t agree with them.


    Now to your confirmation of my position; I state in my blog that this generation of IWC fans has a talent for claiming that something sucks and walking away. Fair enough as we all have our opinions. What I have a problem with is that users who say “TNA sucks, cuz it sucks.” or “WWE is shit cuz it’s shit” are also the ones who proclaim that they have all the tools to “fix” the product, yet offer ZERO constructive criticism for the product. I’m sorry, but just because you felt the absolute need to voice the opinion that you think “TNA sucks” for all to see does not mean you are a “contributing member” to a discussion taking place. This is why teachers used to place kids in the corner with a Dunce cap on because being the “class clown” distracts others who actually care about the content from learning, conversing, and actually enjoying the topic of conversation.


    You think TNA sucks; that is all fine and dandy. But if you are a member of a community who comes together to discuss wrestling with other fans, why can’t you discuss the specifics of why TNA sucks and offer your honest opinion as to the ways you feel they could improve? Discussion is why we came into the IWC, yet the majority now seems to not be mentally competent enough to carry out a conversation past what you have said yourself. If you care only to view opinions that match your own, why not spend time looking at the fan pages of the wrestlers you like as these places often have the same “like minded” individuals who can reassure you that your love for wrestler X is indeed validated?


    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    Although I dislike that you included the typical "I am doing it right so you should follow what I do" kind of comment in your blog I agree with you.

    Most of the comments on this site recently have been very mean spirited and have nothing to do with why we should be watching. TNA only drew 600 fans to a show?! LOL! Raw had its lowest rating in 15 years! LOL!

    Yeah, it's childish to say "it sucks!" only because the thing you wanted to happen didn't....if the other thing that DID happen was still good.


    I had to include it because it’s seems to be a response more common than foreign.

    As to the comment on the site, I agree fully. It seems as if some spend most of their time trying to come up with that one insult towards a product that will make all their friends shower them with praise. The typical schoolyard antics of children who are looking for acceptance rather than actually displaying confidence in self, these type are the ones who when they feel no acceptance amongst the majority, they quickly claim that they were isolated and being picked on; even though they were the ones who began the altercation to begin with.
    Updated 06-11-2013 at 03:10 AM by Darkside Ron Garvin
  6. blink's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Darkside Ron Garvin;bt73959]


    I like how you helped to prove my point, but I’ll get to that. Firstly, I am not telling ANYONE how to be a user on a wrestling website; there is a rules page for you to view in order to learn that. I am also not “chastising” you for anything; I am not your conscience. What I am displaying is the fact that those in the IWC complain that “creative sucks” or that “VKM is out of touch with the youth” yet the same user does NOTHING to offer a better view on what they feel is the “right direction” for the product. The same user will also lash out at any other user who differs in opinion when a counter position is offered. Far too many children are proclaiming to revoke the invitations to their birthday party if you don’t agree with them.


    Now to your confirmation of my position; I state in my blog that this generation of IWC fans has a talent for claiming that something sucks and walking away. Fair enough as we all have our opinions. What I have a problem with is that users who say “TNA sucks, cuz it sucks.” or “WWE is shit cuz it’s shit” are also the ones who proclaim that they have all the tools to “fix” the product, yet offer ZERO constructive criticism for the product. I’m sorry, but just because you felt the absolute need to voice the opinion that you think “TNA sucks” for all to see does not mean you are a “contributing member” to a discussion taking place. This is why teachers used to place kids in the corner with a Dunce cap on because being the “class clown” distracts others who actually care about the content from learning, conversing, and actually enjoying the topic of conversation.


    You think TNA sucks; that is all fine and dandy. But if you are a member of a community who comes together to discuss wrestling with other fans, why can’t you discuss the specifics of why TNA sucks and offer your honest opinion as to the ways you feel they could improve? Discussion is why we came into the IWC, yet the majority now seems to not be mentally competent enough to carry out a conversation past what you have said yourself. If you care only to view opinions that match your own, why not spend time looking at the fan pages of the wrestlers you like as these places often have the same “like minded” individuals who can reassure you that your love for wrestler X is indeed validated?

    Creative sucks. Vince lost touch. Blah blah blah. Those are very common opinions shared on this site. How is it not ok to just say creative sucks? Maybe the person doesn't really have a better suggestion. And most of the ones that do suggest ideas probably shouldn't be. I mean have you seen some of the ideas we come up with? They're laughable, implausable and down right stupid in most cases. Theres nothing wrong with someone simply saying that something sucks. Its the same as saying, that they just don't like it. I don't like guacamole. I don't really have a reason behind it but if people are talking about all the things they like to eat with it, I'm gonna say I don't like it. Plain and simple. Theres nothing wrong with someone including themselves in a conversation with just one simple declarative sentence and who are you to say they can't? Last I was aware, you weren't the sites dictator and they aren't hurting anyone with their statements. I mean what's the big deal here? Do you really think that if you convince the iwc to stop saying things suck and give "searious and meaningful" suggestions that the wwe would actually start listening to what we want or incorporating our story ideas? I hate to break the news to you but vince mcmahon doesn't give a shit what we think! I don't think that your dumb enough to really believe that though so all I can chalk this blog up to is bitching for bitchings sake. Which is absolutely fine and I support you doing so. Its your god given right and hell I'm currently doing the same thing myself

    Oh and I like how you bold things to try to make me look like an idiot. "Well blink disagreed with me so I better try to make him look stupid". Kind of a sneaky way to get around contradicting your whole blog, no?

    For what its worth, I did think it was written very well
  7. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Theres nothing wrong with someone simply saying that something sucks. Its the same as saying, that they just don't like it. I don't like guacamole. I don't really have a reason behind it but if people are talking about all the things they like to eat with it, I'm gonna say I don't like it. Plain and simple. Theres nothing wrong with someone including themselves in a conversation with just one simple declarative sentence and who are you to say they can't? Last I was aware, you weren't the sites dictator and they aren't hurting anyone with their statements. I mean what's the big deal here? Do you really think that if you convince the iwc to stop saying things suck and give "searious and meaningful" suggestions that the wwe would actually start listening to what we want or incorporating our story ideas? I hate to break the news to you but vince mcmahon doesn't give a shit what we think! I don't think that your dumb enough to really believe that though so all I can chalk this blog up to is bitching for bitchings sake. Which is absolutely fine and I support you doing so. Its your god given right and hell I'm currently doing the same thing myself

    Firstly, why is it so hard to say “I don’t like guacamole, but I am a fan of salsa”? Or perhaps, “I don’t like guacamole for some reason; I’m not a fan of the taste/texture.” Is it that hard to think of reasoning behind your stance or opinion? Someone could have enjoyed the movie Fast & Furious 6. I might have disliked the film. But how does telling them "It sucked" further the conversation? If your point is to declare only your hatred for the film and hear nothing about the other person’s opinion, why make the comment in the first place since you are obviously not interested in discussing the topic?


    Secondly, I am not telling ANYONE how to post. Maybe I did not stress that fact enough. Perhaps you should give the blog another read and see if you can catch onto the point of what I am saying. Do I think that this blog will “change the IWC”? No. However, if you would have read the opening statement to the blog you would know that it is a topic involved in the series I was writing. Had you also read further along you would see that my point is that I am hesitant to suggest the IWC “take arms” and actually voice their opinion because, as you said, “this sucks” is the "definative statement" and all that can be conjured by the majority of IWC. Sending a mass of people to a feedback website with this being their ammunition would only help to confirm the view that those inside the wrestling industry commonly express; internet fans lack depth. As for VKM rant you went with, perhaps you should read the ending of the blog and find some links to my previous ones to understand a bit better as to my perspective… Hell, at this point, I am wondering if you even read this blog in the first place or just commented because the majority in the comments section said that they liked it and you had to display your counter-culture point of view.


    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    Oh and I like how you bold things to try to make me look like an idiot. "Well blink disagreed with me so I better try to make him look stupid". Kind of a sneaky way to get around contradicting your whole blog, no?

    I bolded the parts of my comments to stress my point of view on the subject dear Blinky; if you are feeling ostracized by this, perhaps you should take time for self-reflection to determine if you feel yourself on the defense based on the fact that you are one of these members I was speaking towards. I hope this emotion was not brought upon due to my usage of the word "you" in my replies toward your comment as I was not intending to isolate you as an individual Blinky, rather a general perspective of how one views self. I know nothing of you and to the best of my knowledge this is our first interaction so how could I make that judgment call? If you doubt this, ask the majority of users around and you’ll see that the last thing I am is a person to make a quick judgment of another person’s character solely off of one interaction with the individual.


    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    For what its worth, I did think it was written very well

    Thank you for the kind comment.
    Updated 06-11-2013 at 04:25 AM by Darkside Ron Garvin
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.