View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"

Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
The superstar series was created simply to give my opinion on superstar X. Today, the superstar has been the top guy in the WWE for a decade. No question, the biggest draw and superstar WWE has. People who don't watch wrestling knows who the man I'll be talking about is. John Cena is that superstar who I'll be discussing. The top good guy in the company gets a mixed reaction every time he walks down that ramp. Some nights, he gets more cheers than boos, but other nights boos outweigh the cheers. Why is that? Do I like John Cena or do I hate him? Answer those questions and more below:

I became a fan of John Cena's when he debuted the rapper gimmick. No one at the time was doing it in the WWE. In the past, I've mentioned that my favorite wrestlers are the ones who are different from the rest. When their music hits, your bathroom break waits. The rapper gimmick is what led him to main event at WM and winning the WWE title. Afterward, the rapping really died down especially after he was drafted to Raw. I still liked him after that. According to Cena, the reason he stopped rapping is because he had to go tell it to WWE officials before Raw every week which was about 200. 1 didnt like it, he'd have to change it and go around asking again. Apparently not worth it, so he simply stopped doing the rap gimmick. I still liked Cena though.

Other fans however, didn't feel the same way. It really stood out when Jericho faced Cena at Summerslam 05. Crowd was mixed and I was shocked. John Cena is the new and fresh talent who just won the WWE title. Why are you rooting for Jericho to win? Maybe it was because it was his first world/WWE title match "1 on 1" in 3 years. Cena won and beat Jericho the following night in "You're Fired" match which I didn't want either man to lose. WM22, biggest heel the man I've hated more than I've cheered....HHH! HHH was cheered just as much as Cena was. I believe without question, HHH was receiving more cheers than John Cena in Chicago. The "boo-yea" punches included felt like Rock/Hogan kind of deal which was mentioned in the post show on the DVD. Fans just were into that match from bell to bell. Fans were standing on their feet. Another reason why I hate when I hear some TNA superstar talk about WWE fans sitting on their hands. Shaking my head!

Cena wins, we riot! A sign read that at ECW One Night Stand 06. I don't believe I ever read a sign that said that in WWE up to that point. Though others have done the same after that. I rooted for Cena to win,not because I didn't want RVD to become world champion. It was because I didn't understand the process. Heyman said the WWE title would than become the ECW title. That is the main concern that I didn't understand. Drug bust led to RVDs short reign that also led to Edge winning the WWE title again. Faced in a TLC match in Edge's hometown for the WWE title. If Cena lost, he would go to SD. I was open to the thought because I was intrigued by the possibility of Cena vs Taker for the world title type of feud whcih I never got. Batista vs John Cena was also a dream match at that time. Cena won and beat the odds yet again.

Around the summer of 07 or earlier, I began to grow tired of John Cena. He was running out of opponents like who's left? He beat the undefeated Umaga, HBK, Edge, HHH, among others. I was ready for something new. I wanted one of my other favorite superstar at the time, Randy Orton to win the WWE title. Been waiting for that since he lost it to HHH back in 04. John Cena from that point on hasn't been top fav of mine. However, I do still like Cena and root for him to win matches. Not against everybody though.....I root for Punk, Ziggler, among other young guys I like that has feuded with Cena to beat him. I like Cena more than I dislike him. I think he does more good than bad to the company. Would I like him to turn heel? Yea, but I understand why he hasn't done it. No reason to really get stressed out about it. If it happens, cool....if it doesn't.....I'll live. Cena is stale, 5 moves of doom, ect. You guys who are still saying that is more annoying than hearing the announcers say "Love him or hate him" every Raw. Give it a rest already.

At the end of the day, I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves. John Cena is the reason every thing sucks in WWE. PG sucks, TV14 baby. I don't believe WWE needs TV14 to be a good show. There is a bunch of ways where they can make the product more entertaining without having to use strong language, blood, and so forth. John Cena has been speaking up when guys have been misused or the writing being terrible. Hint: Evan Bourne push in the past along with a top writer getting fired. Case in point, Cena isn't the decision maker in WWE. He doesn't make the final decisions. HHH, Vince among others are the top guys in that department. At the end of the day, WWE can be better, but I believe he can be a lot worse as well. Am I happy with everything that WWE is doing? No! Do I like some things that are going on in WWE? Hell Yea!

There you have it. My opinion on John Cena. What is yours? Like him or hate? Agree or disagree with what you have read? Beginning now, I'll let the blog readers select the topic for this series. What superstar do you want to discuss next? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
My View: WWE
Booking Challenge: TNA BFG series/WWE MITB 2013
Top 10 King of the Ring moments
Superstar: Hulk Hogan

Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Digg Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to del.icio.us Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Google

Updated 06-03-2013 at 12:59 PM by TheGreatOne (blogs coming up)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine22
    Jake the Snake said it the best, whether you are a heel or a face, be the same guy which was advice he gave to austin and thats why austin connected so well with us. Jake gave I think it was Steiner as an example of a guy who failed to do this, he'd insult a crowd one week and be high fiving them the next. Crowds and fans want a guy we can relate to.
    This is the thing I've said about Cena the whole time that's why fans turned against him. He forgot what brought him to the dance in the first place. He forgot what made people like him to begin with. The Rock stayed The Rock, Austin stayed Austin, but Cena became a cartoon character.
    Thats all well and good, but what about Hogan? History hasn't treated him well, but like it or not, he's one of the biggest stars ever. He's been at both ends of the spectrum character wise, and I'm sure neither one is a reflection of his true personality. Bashing Cena for being a "phony" is like saying Mel Gibson is a terrible actor because he is not drunkingly bashing Jews in his movies because that is his true personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive
    Thats all well and good, but what about Hogan? History hasn't treated him well, but like it or not, he's one of the biggest stars ever. He's been at both ends of the spectrum character wise, and I'm sure neither one is a reflection of his true personality. Bashing Cena for being a "phony" is like saying Mel Gibson is a terrible actor because he is not drunkingly bashing Jews in his movies because that is his true personality.
    Look at Kane, Mankind, Abyss, among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhamonkey
    This is the thing I've said about Cena the whole time that's why fans turned against him. He forgot what brought him to the dance in the first place. He forgot what made people like him to begin with. The Rock stayed The Rock, Austin stayed Austin, but Cena became a cartoon character.
    I don't believe that is all true at all. I'll give you a couple reasons why just the top of my head that I think people turned on Cena. Been same character for so long especially as a face. When you are the same thing, it gets old. Just look at Hogan....he was going through the same thing in the early 90s with people tired of seeing him on top. Cena was winning like Hogan did back in the day during his first few WWE title reigns. He has held a world/WWE title 13x I believe that is 1 more than Hulk Hogan along with the same amount as HHH. Who has also been criticized by the fans for being on top for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine22
    Ok, I'm about to commit wrestling blasphemy. Here is another look as to why people are so anti-cena. Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Arguably the 2 key guys for last 2 decades, both polar opposites despite being faces of WWF/WWE. Forget the attitude era, forget pg era, break it down to personalities.

Austin was "the rattlesnake". He wanted to be champion, he wanted to be the best, he spoke his mind, forget use of language (cursing), he said what he thought, and didn't give a damn about anyone's opinion. If someone cost him a match he'd beat the living crap out of them, he'd come in at a random moment and make em pay. He was an "eye for an eye" wrestler. That was a guy everyone could relate to, if pushed too hard people lash out and snap. It his human nature, human reaction and it was what people understood and was like, ok this guy is like me, people saw themselves in Austin.

Cena claims he does it for the fans, and that holding that title means everything to him, and etc etc etc. He has corny jokes, he has his the "superman" style wear he gets beat and then gets up to magically win. He is designed for the kids (not necessarily PG, but specifically for kids). It doesn't seem like its who he actually is. He does great things with Make-a-wish and etc, but it isn't who he is, and if it is, its a very unique personality that people don't relate to. The other thing is we saw the Dr. of Thuganomics and then Super-Cena, very different guys, so a lot of fans are like, why is this guy being such a phony with us. Wrestling fans love action, love guys who talk trash, but they want guys to be real with them. Everyone says that wrestlers are typically extreme versions of their own personalities "amped up versions of themselves with the volume turned up" but that doesn't seem to be Cena's case, its a character that is forced.

Adam Copeland wasn't a dick in real life (and yes I met him so I can say it from experience) but Edge was this guy who did anything to get to the top and stay there. He did what was necessary to get to where he wanted, he was ruthless, and despite being a heel its something we all can relate to. I'm sure everyone at some point has done whatever it takes to get something they want.

This is the reason there are several Punk fans, Punk says what we all feel but may be too afraid to say. He was right when he said he walked in as CM Punk and would walk out as CM Punk because the guy didn't have to change to get over, he was honest with us and we could relate to him.

Cena isn't a guy people can relate to, especially having two very different characters. It comes off as forced and phony.

Undertaker had 2-3 different characters, but they all were the Undertaker, it didn't change him too much, didn't change the fact of how he related to us. We saw the same guy despite different character. It was real and it was honest.

THis is why I feel a cena heel turn won't work, despite wanting to see it. It won't be real, the guys' character has ruined any chance of people like me taking him seriously because it feels like a lie whenever he tries to connect with us.

Jake the Snake said it the best, whether you are a heel or a face, be the same guy which was advice he gave to austin and thats why austin connected so well with us. Jake gave I think it was Steiner as an example of a guy who failed to do this, he'd insult a crowd one week and be high fiving them the next. Crowds and fans want a guy we can relate to.
    Cena goes after a guy who costs him a match. He actually calls him out rather than come from behind. That is how all babyfaces usually win, it is a formula in wrestling that is still used today. Heels beat the crap out of them the whole match and the face find some way to come back to pick up the W. I don't like his jokes either. I find them lame more likely than not. Is Taker being himself, Kane, Abyss, Mankind, Cactus, Dude Love, and so on?

Taker "American badass" was completely different from his original character. How can you sit there and act like it wasn't? Taker isn't unstoppable and can't feel pain like he did in his early days of the Deadman. He was created out of them Westerns where these guys would shoot and it would not hurt him. The Deadman walked slowly to the ring to intimidate his opponent. American Badass rode out on his motorcycles. Those are two completely different characters. Didn't change much my butt!! Hell his finisher was changed for goodness sake.

So, a Cena heel turn wouldn't work? After all the whining and moaning for one.....you don't expect people to tune in to see Cena as a bad guy? You are just like those guys who say Cena's heel turn won't work because he has to work as the heel. Aka, dominate the match like every heel does. If Hogan can do it, Cena can!!

I don't believe Austin was that great of a heel. 2001, I was in grade school still. I never did hate him. During his rivalry with Bret, a lot of people rooted for Austin. I did however root for the faces such as Kurt to beat him, but I never did hate him. I found him humerous and thought he was the best in the business. I laughed when he was gonna put Angle's medal in the sewer keeping on lifting it back up saying What?. I didn't want him to lose matches because he was curse word. I wanted him to get beat simply because he was on the Alliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhamonkey

Yep, and even with Mick Foley being Mankind, Cactus Jack, and Dude Love, we still saw and loved Mick Foley underneath. He stayed true to who he was. It was 3 separate guys but Mick is a combination of all 3, and it worked. If a guy like Jake the Snake can be a legend in WWF you'd think there would be enough sense in Cena to at least start possessing some of the traits that, as you said, "brought him to the dance". ANyone want an example, look at how much of a pop 'basic thuganomics' got at Wrestlemania 25. It was more of a reaction than him coming out to 'my time is now'
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    Cena goes after a guy who costs him a match. He actually calls him out rather than come from behind. That is how all babyfaces usually win, it is a formula in wrestling that is still used today. Heels beat the crap out of them the whole match and the face find some way to come back to pick up the W. I don't like his jokes either. I find them lame more likely than not. Is Taker being himself, Kane, Abyss, Mankind, Cactus, Dude Love, and so on?

Taker "American badass" was completely different from his original character. How can you sit there and act like it wasn't? Taker isn't unstoppable and can't feel pain like he did in his early days of the Deadman. He was created out of them Westerns where these guys would shoot and it would not hurt him. The Deadman walked slowly to the ring to intimidate his opponent. American Badass rode out on his motorcycles. Those are two completely different characters. Didn't change much my butt!! Hell his finisher was changed for goodness sake.

So, a Cena heel turn wouldn't work? After all the whining and moaning for one.....you don't expect people to tune in to see Cena as a bad guy? You are just like those guys who say Cena's heel turn won't work because he has to work as the heel. Aka, dominate the match like every heel does. If Hogan can do it, Cena can!!

I don't believe Austin was that great of a heel. 2001, I was in grade school still. I never did hate him. During his rivalry with Bret, a lot of people rooted for Austin. I did however root for the faces such as Kurt to beat him, but I never did hate him. I found him humerous and thought he was the best in the business. I laughed when he was gonna put Angle's medal in the sewer keeping on lifting it back up saying What?. I didn't want him to lose matches because he was curse word. I wanted him to get beat simply because he was on the Alliance.

How many times did Austin come out and just kick a guy's ass for getting in his way, he didn't call them out, he did something to retaliate and set up a good storyline. Want an example, January 4, 1999, Austin comes out to arguably his biggest pop, walks to the ring, Hits the Rock with the chair, covers mankind over him and walks away. He did that just to cost the Corporation the title.

Is taker being himself? Kane? Mankind? etc. Yeah, because they came in with that gimmick/character and have carried it their entire career. Mick Foley is a legend because he took 3 parts of his personality and made 3 different characters. when we see mick now we still cheer because its the goofy guy with a great sense of humor that can still take the biggest ass kicking and get back up. We know he is hardcore, but at the same time, has a great sense of humor. He was real with us. Taker and Kane have come in as monsters and have remained true. Did kane develop a funny side, yeah but he's still the big red monster that can dish an ass kicking when needed.

Having a face get beat down endlessly for miracle comeback is stupid, I'd much rather see a back and forth match that could result in any ending. DO I mind face winning, no, but I'd rather believe that they are back and forth, that they are both tired, not that 5 moves puts a guy down rather than a 10 minute beatdown. Care to argue that point, look at Shawn Michaels. He got beat down as a face so many times but his matches were back and forth before in the midst of exhaustion he'd hit sweet chin music. They were exciting, they were unpredictable.

Taker "American Badass" was next evolution in his character, but it didn't change who he was, how he related to fans, how he spoke, how he moved in the ring. So he changed his finisher, so did Chris Jericho, but Jericho interacted with fans the same and did the same things until his 2008 heel turn. Taker still sat up in the ring, still had that look of "you're dead" on his face. He kept enough of himself the same and how he did things the same in the ring. He spoke in the same tone, few words at a time, with great delivery, just more attitude. He still went by the Deadman during that phase, so no, he didn't change character, he just evolved with times leaving his true nature (the ones of how he communicates with fans) the same

Not saying it wouldn't work, not saying it woudn't get people to watch, but it wouldn't change people's opinion of cena because its another phony gimmick, even if its as a great heel. People call Orton boring, but here is the thing he started as a cocky youth, evolving to the viper, as face or heel his mannerisms and interaction has stayed the same. If this was cena when he came into the company and showed us this side from the beginning then we may hate him, but we'd accept him being real with us.

Austin was too over as a face to get heat as a heel. He was already an anti-hero, and people had accepted him as a bad-ass with self interest. He was saying he wasn't appreciated by Vince and WWF and joined alliance, etc etc etc, but he didn't change who he was. He added to it, but his in ring style the same, how he did things the same, he was still true to himself and to us.

Whatever he does, Cena will be hated because fans dont' feel he's being Cena with us, he's being a character, its not honest, its not real, its not from the heart (even if his performance is), its phony. Will he gain a following if he reverts to the doctor of thuganomics or something similar, probably because its what we saw him come in as, its what we thought he was and represented, but then again there will be people out there like me who'll just feel its another phony gimmick and won't connect or relate to him because he's not being him, he's being what he thinks will keep him relevent/what fans what.

You talk about # of titles reigns and that is why people are sick of Cena. I got a name for you that contradicts that. Edge. 11 time world champion, even when he was active, nobody was sick of him, nobody wanted to see him go away because despite that not being Adam Copeland, he evolved from the goofy guy reeking of awesomeness to a guy who got frustrated and became the Rated R superstar, but heel or face from that point he was that guy, he didn't change anything really. Did he stop insulting the crowd, yeah, but doesn't mean he stopped being same character or stopped being honest with us. He freaking attacked a computer for a face turn, if that wasn't Rated R Superstar, what is. Kurt Angle 13 time world champ, nobody is sick of him because whent he gets in the ring and on that mic its the same guy that came to WWF.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.