View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"

Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
The superstar series was created simply to give my opinion on superstar X. Today, the superstar has been the top guy in the WWE for a decade. No question, the biggest draw and superstar WWE has. People who don't watch wrestling knows who the man I'll be talking about is. John Cena is that superstar who I'll be discussing. The top good guy in the company gets a mixed reaction every time he walks down that ramp. Some nights, he gets more cheers than boos, but other nights boos outweigh the cheers. Why is that? Do I like John Cena or do I hate him? Answer those questions and more below:

I became a fan of John Cena's when he debuted the rapper gimmick. No one at the time was doing it in the WWE. In the past, I've mentioned that my favorite wrestlers are the ones who are different from the rest. When their music hits, your bathroom break waits. The rapper gimmick is what led him to main event at WM and winning the WWE title. Afterward, the rapping really died down especially after he was drafted to Raw. I still liked him after that. According to Cena, the reason he stopped rapping is because he had to go tell it to WWE officials before Raw every week which was about 200. 1 didnt like it, he'd have to change it and go around asking again. Apparently not worth it, so he simply stopped doing the rap gimmick. I still liked Cena though.

Other fans however, didn't feel the same way. It really stood out when Jericho faced Cena at Summerslam 05. Crowd was mixed and I was shocked. John Cena is the new and fresh talent who just won the WWE title. Why are you rooting for Jericho to win? Maybe it was because it was his first world/WWE title match "1 on 1" in 3 years. Cena won and beat Jericho the following night in "You're Fired" match which I didn't want either man to lose. WM22, biggest heel the man I've hated more than I've cheered....HHH! HHH was cheered just as much as Cena was. I believe without question, HHH was receiving more cheers than John Cena in Chicago. The "boo-yea" punches included felt like Rock/Hogan kind of deal which was mentioned in the post show on the DVD. Fans just were into that match from bell to bell. Fans were standing on their feet. Another reason why I hate when I hear some TNA superstar talk about WWE fans sitting on their hands. Shaking my head!

Cena wins, we riot! A sign read that at ECW One Night Stand 06. I don't believe I ever read a sign that said that in WWE up to that point. Though others have done the same after that. I rooted for Cena to win,not because I didn't want RVD to become world champion. It was because I didn't understand the process. Heyman said the WWE title would than become the ECW title. That is the main concern that I didn't understand. Drug bust led to RVDs short reign that also led to Edge winning the WWE title again. Faced in a TLC match in Edge's hometown for the WWE title. If Cena lost, he would go to SD. I was open to the thought because I was intrigued by the possibility of Cena vs Taker for the world title type of feud whcih I never got. Batista vs John Cena was also a dream match at that time. Cena won and beat the odds yet again.

Around the summer of 07 or earlier, I began to grow tired of John Cena. He was running out of opponents like who's left? He beat the undefeated Umaga, HBK, Edge, HHH, among others. I was ready for something new. I wanted one of my other favorite superstar at the time, Randy Orton to win the WWE title. Been waiting for that since he lost it to HHH back in 04. John Cena from that point on hasn't been top fav of mine. However, I do still like Cena and root for him to win matches. Not against everybody though.....I root for Punk, Ziggler, among other young guys I like that has feuded with Cena to beat him. I like Cena more than I dislike him. I think he does more good than bad to the company. Would I like him to turn heel? Yea, but I understand why he hasn't done it. No reason to really get stressed out about it. If it happens, cool....if it doesn't.....I'll live. Cena is stale, 5 moves of doom, ect. You guys who are still saying that is more annoying than hearing the announcers say "Love him or hate him" every Raw. Give it a rest already.

At the end of the day, I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves. John Cena is the reason every thing sucks in WWE. PG sucks, TV14 baby. I don't believe WWE needs TV14 to be a good show. There is a bunch of ways where they can make the product more entertaining without having to use strong language, blood, and so forth. John Cena has been speaking up when guys have been misused or the writing being terrible. Hint: Evan Bourne push in the past along with a top writer getting fired. Case in point, Cena isn't the decision maker in WWE. He doesn't make the final decisions. HHH, Vince among others are the top guys in that department. At the end of the day, WWE can be better, but I believe he can be a lot worse as well. Am I happy with everything that WWE is doing? No! Do I like some things that are going on in WWE? Hell Yea!

There you have it. My opinion on John Cena. What is yours? Like him or hate? Agree or disagree with what you have read? Beginning now, I'll let the blog readers select the topic for this series. What superstar do you want to discuss next? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
My View: WWE
Booking Challenge: TNA BFG series/WWE MITB 2013
Top 10 King of the Ring moments
Superstar: Hulk Hogan

Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Digg Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to del.icio.us Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Google

Updated 06-03-2013 at 12:59 PM by TheGreatOne (blogs coming up)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I see why Cena gets hate. People are unappreciative. If he's stale, what does that make every other full time wrestler in the business who doesn't get half the reaction he does? Yes, he did need to win MITB. It set up the match on the 1000th Raw which was one of the best Raw matches of all time. Wanna give all the credit to Punk? Send him a thank you card to Chicago where he is sitting at home "burnt out" while Cena is giving it his all like he has been for the last decade. He won the RR. So what? Stone Cold and Hogan won it multiple times as well. Yes he did need to win the belt from the rock, if for no better reason than punk shouldnt've lost it to rock and Cena should've never lost to the rock in the first place. His loss to Big Johnny came at Over The Limit 2012. And here is the link you wanted: http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/commun...-Solution-quot Read and follow and hopefully I'll never have to suffer from anymore pointless Cena bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Roads
    I get that he has support, but do you guys really not see why he has so much hate on him? The reasons I listed, and probably 100 more, are shared by the majority of the "universe". Yes, the same character that is the top revenue producer and the top Make-A-Wish guy is also staler than a mackinaw peach in June. I didnt say Cena wasnt strong, but a shoulder block and a 5 knuckle shuffle really dont convey that. Strongest guy ever?? Ha, hes not even the strongest guy on the current roster. OK, so he had a few losses in 2012 (although I dont remember him losing to John Laurinitus, can you site the match on that) but did he really need to win the MITB, RR, beat The Rock, for the title no less, just so he could get redemption for a loss in the "Once In A Lifetime" debacle. Now if youll put down the ice cream bars, put on your orange and purple over sized t shirt, show me some loyalty and respect, and hustle and point me towards this MachoManFan revolution.
    Every strong dude I can remember has done shoulder blocks....look at Ultimate Warrior, hell Batista, and I remember HHH/Goldberg doing that as well. I believe the loss to Johnny was at Over the Limit. It was when Big Show returned and helped him pick up the W. He was the first to lose the MITB cash in. He lost to Punk how many straight times? Survivor Series, Summerslam, Night of Champions, and lost to Dolph Ziggler at TLC. How many ppvs is that? Hell in a Cell he didn't even compete on the ppv. He lost more matches by far on ppv than he did number of victories. I'm not wearing a John Cena shirt. I'm actually wearing a Miz shirt as I'm typing this. I'm just stating Cena has lost more than his share of his matches last year.Hell, he even lost to the Shield at EC ppv this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive
    I see why Cena gets hate. People are unappreciative. If he's stale, what does that make every other full time wrestler in the business who doesn't get half the reaction he does? Yes, he did need to win MITB. It set up the match on the 1000th Raw which was one of the best Raw matches of all time. Wanna give all the credit to Punk? Send him a thank you card to Chicago where he is sitting at home "burnt out" while Cena is giving it his all like he has been for the last decade. He won the RR. So what? Stone Cold and Hogan won it multiple times as well. Yes he did need to win the belt from the rock, if for no better reason than punk shouldnt've lost it to rock and Cena should've never lost to the rock in the first place. His loss to Big Johnny came at Over The Limit 2012. And here is the link you wanted: http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/commun...-Solution-quot Read and follow and hopefully I'll never have to suffer from anymore pointless Cena bashing.
    That is why I wanted Cena to face The Rock again at WM29 because he should've won in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    TheGreatOne I will give you credit that you write blogs that make me want to respond. I find it ironic that you are saying whoever says Cena is stale with the 5 moves of doom and etc. are annoying and repetitive.....but then you spout every cliche reason that anyone defending the PG era gives.

Hating Cena is hating the WWE for not listening. Cena might be the first wrestler ever to receive this long of a sustained completely opposite reaction than he is supposed to get. In wrestling, if you aren't getting the reaction you are supposed to be getting, that's a bad thing. Almost always they would turn the guy either good or bad so that the reaction he was already receiving is now justified by his actions. For example, The Rock when he was early Rocky Maivia before joining the Nation. Fans would chant "Rocky sucks!" even though he was as babyface as you could get. What did WWE do? Make him a bad guy.

For me, the most unforgivable part about John Cena is the psychology. In promos between him and another guy, the other guy could land a great line and what would Cena do?? He would stand in the ring with that stupid smile and shrug it off. Brock Lesnar returns to WWE and comes down to the ring, what does Cena do? CLAPS. Look at least a little intimidated! Watch someone like Chris Jericho or CM Punk to see how it's supposed to be done.

Then there's the in ring psychology. The last time I watched a full show of WWE programming rather than highlights or reading results, besides Wrestlemania, there was a match between John Cena and Dolph Ziggler in I think January. Ziggler kicked the crap out of him hit him with about 3 finishers. Cena kicks out every time. One Attitude Adjustment and Ziggler is done.

I agree that there are factors that Cena gets hate for that he does not deserve, but there are definitely a lot of reasons to hate him.
    I don't believe blood, foul language, among other things is needed to make a great wrestling show. Have you not seen a great wrestling show without those qualities? If you havn't seen a good one without blood or foul language. leave now.........

Comparing Rock who was a midcarder at the time to the top guy in the company who sold the most merch than anybody is completely different wave lengths. Everything gets stale. I want him to turn heel to, but just to do this silly hate and disgust every time he is mentioned is childish if you ask me. If it happens, it happens! If it doesn't happen, I'll live.

I thought that was a great way for Brock to return. The most memorably moment possibly of that year. That crowd was nuts before his music hit. Everyone who hates Cena hates the good guy kissing babies type of thing. Him attempting to shake his hand made it that much better if you ask me. IT was like, curse word, I'm not your friend John. No one wanted Brock to be his friend that is why the crowd went nuts. What was he suppose to be? Act as if he was scared.....not a heel. Act real tough in his face ask him why is he here? We all know mic work isn't Brock's strong point.

I hated that too, but 1 silly thing shouldn't make you stop watching something such as WWE. I remember when Christian lost the world title the following Smackdown. Didn't watch Smackdown for a year.....you know how many moments I missed? How many moments you missed? You missed one helluva great Raw the night after Mania especially with my current fav cashing in the MITB. This is also why I hate the Warrior/Savage Mania retirement match. Some people actually have that match as the best match on the card. I hated all the elbows Savage hit and still lose.

There are reasons to dislike him. Hell, some was actually mentioned in your comment. There are reasons to dislike just about anyone on the roster. Hell, I used to hate CM Punk until 2009 because I didn't understand why everyone thought he was so great. I learned why he was great during his Jeff Hardy feud that summer.
    1 match that stands out and proves Cena is worthy of being called a great wrestler is his match with The Great Khali at One Night Stand 2007. The match was simply amazing with Cena carrying Khali to the best match of his carrer - bar none. Now I don't want to say Khali is a bad wrestler but lets just say he's extremely limited in his abilities and this is a man who had matches with Undertaker, Batista, Triple H the list goes on and not 1 of them could pull this match out of Khali. If that match doesn't prove Cena is a GREAT wrestler nothing does. I encourage all Cena haters to watch and study that match.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    TheGreatOne I will give you credit that you write blogs that make me want to respond. I find it ironic that you are saying whoever says Cena is stale with the 5 moves of doom and etc. are annoying and repetitive.....but then you spout every cliche reason that anyone defending the PG era gives.

Hating Cena is hating the WWE for not listening. Cena might be the first wrestler ever to receive this long of a sustained completely opposite reaction than he is supposed to get. In wrestling, if you aren't getting the reaction you are supposed to be getting, that's a bad thing. Almost always they would turn the guy either good or bad so that the reaction he was already receiving is now justified by his actions. For example, The Rock when he was early Rocky Maivia before joining the Nation. Fans would chant "Rocky sucks!" even though he was as babyface as you could get. What did WWE do? Make him a bad guy.

For me, the most unforgivable part about John Cena is the psychology. In promos between him and another guy, the other guy could land a great line and what would Cena do?? He would stand in the ring with that stupid smile and shrug it off. Brock Lesnar returns to WWE and comes down to the ring, what does Cena do? CLAPS. Look at least a little intimidated! Watch someone like Chris Jericho or CM Punk to see how it's supposed to be done.

Then there's the in ring psychology. The last time I watched a full show of WWE programming rather than highlights or reading results, besides Wrestlemania, there was a match between John Cena and Dolph Ziggler in I think January. Ziggler kicked the crap out of him hit him with about 3 finishers. Cena kicks out every time. One Attitude Adjustment and Ziggler is done.

I agree that there are factors that Cena gets hate for that he does not deserve, but there are definitely a lot of reasons to hate him.
    I don't believe blood, foul language, among other things is needed to make a great wrestling show. Have you not seen a great wrestling show without those qualities? If you havn't seen a good one without blood or foul language. leave now.........

Comparing Rock who was a midcarder at the time to the top guy in the company who sold the most merch than anybody is completely different wave lengths. Everything gets stale. I want him to turn heel to, but just to do this silly hate and disgust every time he is mentioned is childish if you ask me. If it happens, it happens! If it doesn't happen, I'll live.

I thought that was a great way for Brock to return. The most memorably moment possibly of that year. That crowd was nuts before his music hit. Everyone who hates Cena hates the good guy kissing babies type of thing. Him attempting to shake his hand made it that much better if you ask me. IT was like, curse word, I'm not your friend John. No one wanted Brock to be his friend that is why the crowd went nuts. What was he suppose to be? Act as if he was scared.....not a heel. Act real tough in his face ask him why is he here? We all know mic work isn't Brock's strong point.

I hated that too, but 1 silly thing shouldn't make you stop watching something such as WWE. I remember when Christian lost the world title the following Smackdown. Didn't watch Smackdown for a year.....you know how many moments I missed? How many moments you missed? You missed one helluva great Raw the night after Mania especially with my current fav cashing in the MITB. This is also why I hate the Warrior/Savage Mania retirement match. Some people actually have that match as the best match on the card. I hated all the elbows Savage hit and still lose.

There are reasons to dislike him. Hell, some was actually mentioned in your comment. There are reasons to dislike just about anyone on the roster. Hell, I used to hate CM Punk until 2009 because I didn't understand why everyone thought he was so great. I learned why he was great during his Jeff Hardy feud that summer.
    Ok, I'm about to commit wrestling blasphemy. Here is another look as to why people are so anti-cena. Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Arguably the 2 key guys for last 2 decades, both polar opposites despite being faces of WWF/WWE. Forget the attitude era, forget pg era, break it down to personalities.

Austin was "the rattlesnake". He wanted to be champion, he wanted to be the best, he spoke his mind, forget use of language (cursing), he said what he thought, and didn't give a damn about anyone's opinion. If someone cost him a match he'd beat the living crap out of them, he'd come in at a random moment and make em pay. He was an "eye for an eye" wrestler. That was a guy everyone could relate to, if pushed too hard people lash out and snap. It his human nature, human reaction and it was what people understood and was like, ok this guy is like me, people saw themselves in Austin.

Cena claims he does it for the fans, and that holding that title means everything to him, and etc etc etc. He has corny jokes, he has his the "superman" style wear he gets beat and then gets up to magically win. He is designed for the kids (not necessarily PG, but specifically for kids). It doesn't seem like its who he actually is. He does great things with Make-a-wish and etc, but it isn't who he is, and if it is, its a very unique personality that people don't relate to. The other thing is we saw the Dr. of Thuganomics and then Super-Cena, very different guys, so a lot of fans are like, why is this guy being such a phony with us. Wrestling fans love action, love guys who talk trash, but they want guys to be real with them. Everyone says that wrestlers are typically extreme versions of their own personalities "amped up versions of themselves with the volume turned up" but that doesn't seem to be Cena's case, its a character that is forced.

Adam Copeland wasn't a dick in real life (and yes I met him so I can say it from experience) but Edge was this guy who did anything to get to the top and stay there. He did what was necessary to get to where he wanted, he was ruthless, and despite being a heel its something we all can relate to. I'm sure everyone at some point has done whatever it takes to get something they want.

This is the reason there are several Punk fans, Punk says what we all feel but may be too afraid to say. He was right when he said he walked in as CM Punk and would walk out as CM Punk because the guy didn't have to change to get over, he was honest with us and we could relate to him.

Cena isn't a guy people can relate to, especially having two very different characters. It comes off as forced and phony.

Undertaker had 2-3 different characters, but they all were the Undertaker, it didn't change him too much, didn't change the fact of how he related to us. We saw the same guy despite different character. It was real and it was honest.

THis is why I feel a cena heel turn won't work, despite wanting to see it. It won't be real, the guys' character has ruined any chance of people like me taking him seriously because it feels like a lie whenever he tries to connect with us.

Jake the Snake said it the best, whether you are a heel or a face, be the same guy which was advice he gave to austin and thats why austin connected so well with us. Jake gave I think it was Steiner as an example of a guy who failed to do this, he'd insult a crowd one week and be high fiving them the next. Crowds and fans want a guy we can relate to.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.