View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"

Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.
The superstar series was created simply to give my opinion on superstar X. Today, the superstar has been the top guy in the WWE for a decade. No question, the biggest draw and superstar WWE has. People who don't watch wrestling knows who the man I'll be talking about is. John Cena is that superstar who I'll be discussing. The top good guy in the company gets a mixed reaction every time he walks down that ramp. Some nights, he gets more cheers than boos, but other nights boos outweigh the cheers. Why is that? Do I like John Cena or do I hate him? Answer those questions and more below:

I became a fan of John Cena's when he debuted the rapper gimmick. No one at the time was doing it in the WWE. In the past, I've mentioned that my favorite wrestlers are the ones who are different from the rest. When their music hits, your bathroom break waits. The rapper gimmick is what led him to main event at WM and winning the WWE title. Afterward, the rapping really died down especially after he was drafted to Raw. I still liked him after that. According to Cena, the reason he stopped rapping is because he had to go tell it to WWE officials before Raw every week which was about 200. 1 didnt like it, he'd have to change it and go around asking again. Apparently not worth it, so he simply stopped doing the rap gimmick. I still liked Cena though.

Other fans however, didn't feel the same way. It really stood out when Jericho faced Cena at Summerslam 05. Crowd was mixed and I was shocked. John Cena is the new and fresh talent who just won the WWE title. Why are you rooting for Jericho to win? Maybe it was because it was his first world/WWE title match "1 on 1" in 3 years. Cena won and beat Jericho the following night in "You're Fired" match which I didn't want either man to lose. WM22, biggest heel the man I've hated more than I've cheered....HHH! HHH was cheered just as much as Cena was. I believe without question, HHH was receiving more cheers than John Cena in Chicago. The "boo-yea" punches included felt like Rock/Hogan kind of deal which was mentioned in the post show on the DVD. Fans just were into that match from bell to bell. Fans were standing on their feet. Another reason why I hate when I hear some TNA superstar talk about WWE fans sitting on their hands. Shaking my head!

Cena wins, we riot! A sign read that at ECW One Night Stand 06. I don't believe I ever read a sign that said that in WWE up to that point. Though others have done the same after that. I rooted for Cena to win,not because I didn't want RVD to become world champion. It was because I didn't understand the process. Heyman said the WWE title would than become the ECW title. That is the main concern that I didn't understand. Drug bust led to RVDs short reign that also led to Edge winning the WWE title again. Faced in a TLC match in Edge's hometown for the WWE title. If Cena lost, he would go to SD. I was open to the thought because I was intrigued by the possibility of Cena vs Taker for the world title type of feud whcih I never got. Batista vs John Cena was also a dream match at that time. Cena won and beat the odds yet again.

Around the summer of 07 or earlier, I began to grow tired of John Cena. He was running out of opponents like who's left? He beat the undefeated Umaga, HBK, Edge, HHH, among others. I was ready for something new. I wanted one of my other favorite superstar at the time, Randy Orton to win the WWE title. Been waiting for that since he lost it to HHH back in 04. John Cena from that point on hasn't been top fav of mine. However, I do still like Cena and root for him to win matches. Not against everybody though.....I root for Punk, Ziggler, among other young guys I like that has feuded with Cena to beat him. I like Cena more than I dislike him. I think he does more good than bad to the company. Would I like him to turn heel? Yea, but I understand why he hasn't done it. No reason to really get stressed out about it. If it happens, cool....if it doesn't.....I'll live. Cena is stale, 5 moves of doom, ect. You guys who are still saying that is more annoying than hearing the announcers say "Love him or hate him" every Raw. Give it a rest already.

At the end of the day, I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves. John Cena is the reason every thing sucks in WWE. PG sucks, TV14 baby. I don't believe WWE needs TV14 to be a good show. There is a bunch of ways where they can make the product more entertaining without having to use strong language, blood, and so forth. John Cena has been speaking up when guys have been misused or the writing being terrible. Hint: Evan Bourne push in the past along with a top writer getting fired. Case in point, Cena isn't the decision maker in WWE. He doesn't make the final decisions. HHH, Vince among others are the top guys in that department. At the end of the day, WWE can be better, but I believe he can be a lot worse as well. Am I happy with everything that WWE is doing? No! Do I like some things that are going on in WWE? Hell Yea!

There you have it. My opinion on John Cena. What is yours? Like him or hate? Agree or disagree with what you have read? Beginning now, I'll let the blog readers select the topic for this series. What superstar do you want to discuss next? Leave that and more in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!!

Blogs coming up(subject to change):
My View: WWE
Booking Challenge: TNA BFG series/WWE MITB 2013
Top 10 King of the Ring moments
Superstar: Hulk Hogan

Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Digg Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to del.icio.us Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to StumbleUpon Submit "Superstar: John Cena "I believe Cena gets far more hate than he really deserves"" to Google

Updated 06-03-2013 at 12:59 PM by TheGreatOne (blogs coming up)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I don't believe that is all true at all. I'll give you a couple reasons why just the top of my head that I think people turned on Cena. Been same character for so long especially as a face. When you are the same thing, it gets old. Just look at Hogan....he was going through the same thing in the early 90s with people tired of seeing him on top. Cena was winning like Hogan did back in the day during his first few WWE title reigns. He has held a world/WWE title 13x I believe that is 1 more than Hulk Hogan along with the same amount as HHH. Who has also been criticized by the fans for being on top for so long.
    Eh, that's kinda true about Hogan, but how long was Hogan the same before people began turning on him? A lot longer than Cena. People didn't turn on HHH because he was at the top as much as they believed he was only at the top for so long because of who he was sleeping with. If his career was the same but he wasn't with Stephanie I don't believe he was have garnered quite as much heat. The reason people turned on Cena was because his "same" isn't the same as he was when they started liking him. The person he's been for the past six to eight years has been a cheesy, corny, boring superman who never takes anything, especially his opponents seriously. While the attitude era may be over, people still don't want that smiley happy good guy. They still want to see a guy with a bit of an attitude, even if he's doing good guy things. People hate him for the same reasons they hated Rocky Maivia (sp?) and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhamonkey
    Eh, that's kinda true about Hogan, but how long was Hogan the same before people began turning on him? A lot longer than Cena. People didn't turn on HHH because he was at the top as much as they believed he was only at the top for so long because of who he was sleeping with. If his career was the same but he wasn't with Stephanie I don't believe he was have garnered quite as much heat. The reason people turned on Cena was because his "same" isn't the same as he was when they started liking him. The person he's been for the past six to eight years has been a cheesy, corny, boring superman who never takes anything, especially his opponents seriously. While the attitude era may be over, people still don't want that smiley happy good guy. They still want to see a guy with a bit of an attitude, even if he's doing good guy things. People hate him for the same reasons they hated Rocky Maivia (sp?) and then some.

Exactly. The people want a guy they can relate to and who's himself regardless of heel or face. Look at Edge vs Ziggler in 2011 Royal Rumble. Edge took advantage of situation spearing Ziggler (when it was banned) but no one was looking. It was very Eddie Guerrero like, very heel like too. It's stuff like that he did as a heel and when he did it as a face we accepted it because it was the same guy.
    I think we are over thinking Cena. We don't like him because he's predictable. Every outcome is either him "overcoming adversity" or being "cheated out of the victory", he never loses cleanly and every match follows the same pattern. The few matches that he has put together that were actually entertaining were due to the fact that he was paired up with far superior in-ring performers i.e. CM Punk, Kurt Angle, Edge.
    I'm a John Cena fan too, and I'm no kid (52 years old, a wrestling fan for 45+ years). Guys, this is professional wrestling. Bad guys almost never win clean. They cheat to win, which is what makes them bad guys. Good guys don't cheat, because cheating is bad. Very black and white here, no shades of gray in professional wrestling, no 'tweeners' in WWE ever. Cena is the poster boy for the politically correct good guy. In the Attitude Era Austin was the favorite because he beat up his boss (something many wrestling fans secretly want to do, I'm sure) and was as unpolitically correct as possible (middle finger, cursing, beating up everyone in sight, etc.). Cena is the anti-Austin, both good guys, but one squeaky clean, the other bad to the bone. As long as Cena keeps WWE in the mainstream media, which Vince craves more than anything else (including money - remember how many millions Vince wasted on Floyd Mayweather just to garner attention from the mainstream media?), he will remain the #1 face of the company. He's a workhorse, incredibly strong, never takes time off, returns from serious injuries faster than anyone, is incredibly popular with the kids, is very well spoken, thinks fast on his feet during interviews on non-wrestling shows, and is a better pure wrestler than most give him credit for. Is he a CM Punk or Daniel Bryan as far as wrestling skills go - of course not. But the IWC has zero patience and wants constant face-heel turns, which is actually a bad thing. One or two face-heel (or vice versa) turns a year is fine; more than that is unnecessary. Yes, WWE creative is dead right now, but that's not Cena's fault. And for those who say that Cena should voluntarily step aside to let others shine, um, what planet are you from? Nobody does that. Cena is not my favorite wrestler (Chris Jericho currently is), but I like him a lot. He's not supposed to lose clean; that doesn't happen to the #1 star of the company, any wrestling company, ever. Hogan didn't, Warrior didn't, Hart didn't, Austin didn't, etc., at least not very often. Gain some patience, which is a virtue, and Cena will look better to you.
    I think one problem is that in Cena matches it feels like he cheats. One guy hits 90% of the moves in a match and Cena comes back with his finisher to get the pin. It's hard to feel like he earned that. He almost feels like the heel even though he isn't supposed to be.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.