View RSS Feed

weems

No sex appeal anymore with the divas

Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.
It has almost become popular in the IWC to criticize the divas division at every waking moment. Many of us claim that whenever the divas are having a match, they do not watch and use this as an opportunity to take a piss. Others remain upset that WWE did not utilize actual wrestlers like Beth Phoenix, Karma, or Gail Kim correctly. Some are still stuck in the past and remain disappointed that the days of Trish vs. Lita are long behind us.

However, none of these are the real reasons that we do not like the Divas division. The real reason is the lack of sex appeal and PG content. Back in the Attitude Era, we all loved when Debra would tease us into showing the puppies, we enjoyed getting a glimpse of Lita nude in bed with Edge, and who didn’t love when Ivory had ring gear where you could literally see her ass crack. Let’s take it one step further, most of us looked at Playboy to see Maryse, Sable, Torrie Wilson, Ashley Massaro and Candice Michelle. Hell, some of us even bought the edition to see Chyna for God’s sake. I will now request that you ask yourself this question: How many of you readers spent $5 buying one of these Playboys but have never spent a dime buying a WWE magazine b/c of an article that featured your favorite diva?

There is no denying that the Divas division does not have the buzz like it used to. And I think that is simply because of the lack of sex appeal. However, the IWC is constantly barking about how bad the in ring product is with the divas. I disagree with the IWC here because I believe there is a misconception that the Divas division ever had quality wrestling. Were any of you really ever impressed with the in ring work of Stephanie McMahon, Terri Runnells or Sable? Did anyone really think the Lita vs Trish matches were pure art? Or, did you like Trish b/c she spent the first year in WWE walking around in a thong and showing off her huge knockers in a bra 2 sizes too small? Did you really respect Lita as a performer, or did you like looking at her in skimpy bikini photo shoots and seeing her naked in the shower when she was being stalked by Dean Malenko? Let’s face it the divas of yesteryear got over b/c of their sex appeal. And for the record, I do not think there is anything wrong with that. The majority of wrestling fans at this time were men and men like looking at extremely beautiful women in minimal to no clothing. As a result, WWE was giving their core audience something they knew they wanted to see.

Some may disagree with my theory and claim that WWE would sell more tickets if they had female wrestlers and matches similar to what we see in TNA’s Knockout division. For anyone that does think this, do you really think VKM is that naïve to leave money on the table? Of course he is not. Even in the toned down PG content, the audience would prefer to see divas that look like Summer Rae opposed to ones that look like ODB. Personally, I believe the IWC overrates the Knockouts division. Can anyone recall a Knockout’s match being so intense it resulted in a “This is awesome chant?” Has anyone ever went on youtube to watch a “classic” Knockouts wrestling match?

In today’s product, the IWC will claim the divas story lines are god awful. For example, over the last year or so we have seen angles such as Kaitlyn’s secret admirer, Natalya farting, and Eve being the untrustworthy girlfriend of Zach Ryder. Yes, I am not intrigued by these angles either. However, what is it that we want to see? Will people really buy more tickets to see “true women wrestlers” such as Natalya compete? I doubt it. Personally, I think the only way to create more buzz in the division is to have situations such as the Bellas doing backstage shower scenes, AJ in an evening gown match with Kaitlyn, Alicia Fox mud wrestling with Layla or explicit pics of the divas on WWE.com like there were 5+ years ago. But hey, I am a realist and know that cannot happen anymore. WWE makes so much money from family friendly sponsors that they simply cannot afford to have this sexual content in their product anymore.

In summary, all I am trying to say is that most of us in the IWC have become huge hypocrites by criticizing the divas division so constantly. There have been some good wrestlers here and there (McCool, Mickie, Karma, etc.). But in general, the wrestling was never good and the story lines have always been weak. We just enjoyed it years ago because of the sex appeal, plain and simple. More specifically, we enjoyed the TV-14 sex appeal but don’t care for the toned down PG level sex appeal. At the end of the day, the sex appeal is what gets the divas over, not the wrestling.

Submit "No sex appeal anymore with the divas" to Digg Submit "No sex appeal anymore with the divas" to del.icio.us Submit "No sex appeal anymore with the divas" to StumbleUpon Submit "No sex appeal anymore with the divas" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You mentioned Alisha Fox, the less I see of her the better. Such a waste of a spot on the WWE roster - unattractive, unskilled, and just useless in storylines because she flip-flops between face and heel roles for no reason.
    I think you are under-rating how great storylines were for the Divas division. I'll give you examples to refresh your memory:

Now let me start out by saying, I dont entirely disagree with your post. I like Divas who I find attractive more so than others. I don't really judge "wrestling" to choose my favs at all. Guys it is purely entertainment along with being different. For girls, obviously the one who I think is the hottest.

However, diva feuds I enjoyed in the past were actually entertaining. I looked forward to see the results and the matches. Sable vs Luna was a great feud that revived a women's division that was dead after the belt in the garbage can on Nitro. Luna tied Sable to the ring post along with putting marker or whatever all over her face. Always getting pulled apart and so on. These girls we wanted to see go at it more so than the guys. Check out WM14. Sable vs Jaqueline w/Marc Mero who used to be with Sable at the time. She cut Sables hair aka long ponytail and put it in hers. Don't try to tell me that you didn't want to see her get revenge. Same goes for Lita vs Trish when the pregnancy with Kane came up. You waited months to see Lita get her hands on Trish. With all the fat jokes, baby shower, among other things to torment Lita. Hell, Victoria vs Trish, both models for years. 1 was jealous cuz she received WWE contract first among other things. Mickie vs Trish was similar as well, but with Mickie vs Trish being more about her being a crazy fan of Trish's.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PAINFUL TRUTH
    I Truthfully don't think that a diva needs sex appeal to be marketable(early Chyna, Luna, Jazz, Kharma, McCool)....now the divas that the E currently has does because they cant wrestle but the E needs someone someone shocking...or someone that can wrestle. They need more divas...What about a Diva Stable?
    Honestly, I don't know how a diva stable would do. I cannot recall there ever being one so I guess if anything, it would be something new which at least would generate some interest. On the other hand, it seems like WWE only keeps about 5 to 10 divas on TV regularly so it could turn into the stable against everybody not in the stable (though that may still be better than the current diva angles now).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I think you are under-rating how great storylines were for the Divas division. I'll give you examples to refresh your memory:

Now let me start out by saying, I dont entirely disagree with your post. I like Divas who I find attractive more so than others. I don't really judge "wrestling" to choose my favs at all. Guys it is purely entertainment along with being different. For girls, obviously the one who I think is the hottest.

However, diva feuds I enjoyed in the past were actually entertaining. I looked forward to see the results and the matches. Sable vs Luna was a great feud that revived a women's division that was dead after the belt in the garbage can on Nitro. Luna tied Sable to the ring post along with putting marker or whatever all over her face. Always getting pulled apart and so on. These girls we wanted to see go at it more so than the guys. Check out WM14. Sable vs Jaqueline w/Marc Mero who used to be with Sable at the time. She cut Sables hair aka long ponytail and put it in hers. Don't try to tell me that you didn't want to see her get revenge. Same goes for Lita vs Trish when the pregnancy with Kane came up. You waited months to see Lita get her hands on Trish. With all the fat jokes, baby shower, among other things to torment Lita. Hell, Victoria vs Trish, both models for years. 1 was jealous cuz she received WWE contract first among other things. Mickie vs Trish was similar as well, but with Mickie vs Trish being more about her being a crazy fan of Trish's.
    You make a good point. I will agree that those examples you listed were good feuds and I enjoyed them as well. However, all of those feuds you mentioned involved Trish and Sable which in my book, get a 10/10 in the sex appeal category. Maybe I am wrong though, perhaps those two could have been replaced with less attractive divas and those feuds would have gotten over just as much as they did. On top of that, I will also admit that I really like AJ and loved her as the crazy girlfriend and Raw GM. I am also looking forward to seeing what WWE ultimately does with Summer Rae and what will happen when Paige is inevitably promoted from NXT.
    I couldn't disagree more with everything you just posted. The reason that Lita vs Trish was a good match up was because they had years of match ups against each other similar to the same reason that Punk vs Cena is a good match up.

Overly pushing sex appeal in divas diminishes the division. If you want to see girls in skimpy outfits and in little to no clothing I think you should switch your viewing from wrestling to something else. Divas can be sexual and have great gimmicks like male superstars a la Mark Henry or Val Venis ... But pretending that they can't be successful with out sex appeal is just bizarre to me. I'm glad that WWE seems to be going in a way that Divas are more than an item for men to look at and seem to be more of an equal for everyone to be entertained by.

Also Summer Rae, AJ Lee, and Layla don't have sex appeal? Summer Rae wears some of the skimpiest dresses I have ever seen... AJ Lee makes out with everyone and WWE definitely exploits her sex appeal... And Layla was brought into WWE as part of Kelly Expose and has a ton of sex appeal. I'm not saying I agree with it... but it's not like WWE doesn't use sex appeal... They are not adult entertainment... they don't have an obligation to provide that form of entertainment... but they for sure do have divas they push with sex appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    You make a good point. I will agree that those examples you listed were good feuds and I enjoyed them as well. However, all of those feuds you mentioned involved Trish and Sable which in my book, get a 10/10 in the sex appeal category. Maybe I am wrong though, perhaps those two could have been replaced with less attractive divas and those feuds would have gotten over just as much as they did. On top of that, I will also admit that I really like AJ and loved her as the crazy girlfriend and Raw GM. I am also looking forward to seeing what WWE ultimately does with Summer Rae and what will happen when Paige is inevitably promoted from NXT.
    Chyna vs Ivory, 2001 involving her neck. Ah, matches were horrible though. I get what you are saying and I agree that sex appeal does drive up interest in women's wrestling. I mean, did anyone give a crap about Moolah back in the day? I doubt it because she held the title for so long. They were just glad that long run was over. Women's wrestling before the Sable/Luna feud, was far less interesting. Most of the time, not featured on the big events such as Mania and the rest of the big 4. They usually did however, have matches for a while until the last couple of years. However, I think it is more creatives fault than the women. You are telling me, no one would want to see Natalya talk about the great success of the Hart family at Summerslam going for the Divas title? Beth Phoenix vs Kharma....dream match for the ages.
    Phoenix and karma, a dream match for the ages? Hardly. Thatd be slow and clunky. As for the original post, I agree 100%. While lita and trish were good in the ring.... they were good for being divas. They weren't nearly as good as all the male matches on the cards. Which I think they couldve been but personally I think they were purposefully held back as to not overshadow their male division. Either way, the women's or divas for that matter will never be held in as high of esteem as any of the male titles. Maybe its just me but I think its a fault in society cuz personally I don't think anyone is that interested in seeing women kick the crap out of each other. Women are seen as individuals that are supposed to be pampered and showered with gifts and shit like that. I can't really see that big of a market clamoring on divas like the bellas beating the shit out of each other/others.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.