View RSS Feed

Jayoholic

Not Necessary

Rate this Entry
As someone who has watched wrestling since 1988 (4 years old), I too long for something new and different. I agree that the product has become stale over the years. Instead of crediting it to the wrestlers, I credit it to the writers and bookers. Most wrestlers are doing what they're told and since WWE has went public, they've been limited as to what they can do. Now, of course, some wrestlers can perform better than others, but I will never discredit any of their abilities. Just thought I'd get that out of the way before I go into what I really want to talk about.

Being a frequent lurker and occasional poster on this site, throughout the years I've come across some of the same arguments being made by fans. But aside from the usual "No more Super Cena" chants, the hottest topic on these boards are stables and who should be in a stable. This is interesting because a lot of times when people bring up ideas for stables, it tend to fall in the "been there, done that" category. And that's not a knock on you guys, but some of the ideas you're pitching aren't that much different than what the WWE is doing or have done.

A prime example is that for the past 2-3 years, I would sometimes come across posts from several members in regards to putting together a stable that consist of:

1. Wade Barrett
2. Sheamus
3. Drew McIntyre
4. Mason Ryan
5. William Regal
6. Antonio Cesaro

And some others. Every time I see that, I always say to myself "We had the Hart Foundation, various incarnations of Team Canada (WCW and TNA), The UnAmericans, etc." And not only that, I've also seen the following being tossed around...

1. Percy Watson
2. Titus O'Neal
3. Darren Young
4. Mark Henry
5. Shelton Benjamin
6. JTG

And I think "Hmmm...we had the Nation of Domination, The Gangsters, Teddy Long's 'White Boy Challenge' stable, etc." Outside of doing a storyline by having both groups share a disdain for America and White America respectively, what else can you do with it?

While those type of groups may have some sort of impact, especially with generating heel heat, there is not much you can do with them. No matter what, the European groups are always going to have a storyline centered around hating Americans. The same goes for Black groups and White Americans. Being a Black male myself, yeah I root for the advancement of Black athletes, but I would rather they do something we haven't seen before...or at least outside of what is normally done with Black wrestlers. Are we anywhere near seeing that? I'd say not unless someone very powerful backstage takes a stand or at least use some of his influence to change it. But I would rather not see them at all than to see some of the same foolish stereotypes being shown on TV.

I want something different from today's product, but if we have to go back to the same old tired routine, then I'd say leave it alone. Again, I'm not knocking any of you, but I respectfully disagree with some of your ideas.

For those who are fans, keep watching and hopefully we'll be able to see a change for the better.

Submit "Not Necessary" to Digg Submit "Not Necessary" to del.icio.us Submit "Not Necessary" to StumbleUpon Submit "Not Necessary" to Google

Updated 05-27-2013 at 07:47 AM by Jayoholic

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The whole point of stables is to get other wrestlers over no matter the formula. I have 0 idea as to why Mason Ryan is included. Maybe he is from a different country and I didn't know about it. I'd lovet to see Regal's talents used to help develop the Chosen One, Cesaro, Wade Barrett, or Sheamus. Sometimes I see storylines on videos games and wonder why it wasn't used on WWE. Any time, you can get talent over....that is always the way to go. Especially since it helps talent.....look at Orton and Batista after Evolution. The time comes after a long run when the members turn on the leader and usually it is a big payoff if booked properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    The whole point of stables is to get other wrestlers over no matter the formula. I have 0 idea as to why Mason Ryan is included. Maybe he is from a different country and I didn't know about it. I'd lovet to see Regal's talents used to help develop the Chosen One, Cesaro, Wade Barrett, or Sheamus. Sometimes I see storylines on videos games and wonder why it wasn't used on WWE. Any time, you can get talent over....that is always the way to go. Especially since it helps talent.....look at Orton and Batista after Evolution. The time comes after a long run when the members turn on the leader and usually it is a big payoff if booked properly.
    No, the whole point of stables is for entertainment.
    ^^ Well, you can use the 'entertainment' argument for just about every angle, but getting stars over is ‚Äča main reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I have 0 idea as to why Mason Ryan is included.
    The reason I included him was because I'm talking about the ideas I'm hearing from people over the years. Around the time Mason was active, people were tossing out the idea of him being in this foreign super group.

I understand the idea of a stable, but again, people want stables for other reasons than that. Like the two examples I gave above. My question is: Why does it have to be an all foreign group? Why does it have to be an all Black group? In my opinion, that's lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2
    No, the whole point of stables is for entertainment.
    They do bring a new vibe to the show because few stables are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoholic
    The reason I included him was because I'm talking about the ideas I'm hearing from people over the years. Around the time Mason was active, people were tossing out the idea of him being in this foreign super group.

I understand the idea of a stable, but again, people want stables for other reasons than that. Like the two examples I gave above. My question is: Why does it have to be an all foreign group? Why does it have to be an all Black group? In my opinion, that's lazy.
    Creative is lazy period. Just look at the IC title picture....the only man Barrett has defeated is Kofi and Gabriel. Stables are good for business cuz young guys can get more TV time especially in the main events. Guys like Orton, Dibiase, Rhodes, Batista, and so forth gained more than they would have just doing some 1 on 1 matches trying to climb to the top on their own. It is also a learning process w/ vets in the group.
    henry, ryback, cesaro, lesnar, sheamus...... mong strong stable lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.