View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
“Change begets change begets change…” is a quote which I personally picked up from Neil Flynn’s portrayal of the Janitor in Scrubs, but Sunday night’s Extreme Rules was, to me, a precursor to what 2013 might hold in store for the WWE Universe.

The Shield’s clean sweep was predictable, but their show-stealing match tonight with Team Hell No (Daniel Bryan’s aggression was great to see, also) & Kofi Kingston looks to be a sign of impending prestige being re-established to both the United States and Tag Team Championships whilst the “Hounds of Justice” hold the straps.

Curtis Axel – the next, next big thing

The success of The Shield was only one suggestion at WWE moving onto the next generation of talent in recent weeks. The next was the idea of there being a third Paul Heyman guy (as posted on www.wwe.com about a week ago), and it got people talking.

Take Heyman’s well-documented reputation for discovering and selling the next big superstar and add the former Michael McGillicutty (a third generation superstar who somehow got lost in the mix after the Nexus fell apart) and it shows a lot of promise.

The name Hennig suggests a lineage of success, and WWE will, without doubt, shove this down our throats for the foreseeable future. It’s not a bad thing, but anybody who watched the inaugural NXT competition knows he has the talent to go far with this gimmick.

It’s just a shame that Raw had to end with the Triple H ‘concussion’ angle, with Axel and Heyman vanishing so as to appear uninvolved. I was hoping for the same treatment Shelton Benjamin got when he was initially drafted to Raw and defeated Triple H clean.

Daniel Bryan – man on the edge

With The Shield’s dual victories on Sunday, they started a shift in where the focus is in WWE. They also made it possible for Team Hell No to split up and give Daniel Bryan the push back into being a serious singles competitor. It all seems very predictable, but WWE looks to be setting Bryan up for another heel turn – a move I have no desire to see.

The whole concept behind this potential split is Bryan’s insistence that he isn’t the “weak link” in the former Tag Team Champions’ ranks. He is right about that, and it is because the main reason for this team’s survival for so long (let’s not forget the two were originally paired for comedy effect) is likely to be Kane’s age and possible limits in singles matches.

I personally want to see Bryan break out as an aggressive baby face seeking the WWE Championship. His moveset is heavily focussed on kicks and his ability to quickly step up the speed of a match, and he is incredibly over with crowds right now.

On top of all of this, WWE is lacking crowd favourites and Bryan could step into a very high spot on that ladder immediately.

I’ll be the first to admit that this week’s #YYYTRR lacks some level of depth and inspired edge, but it is simply because I enjoyed Raw this week.

Last week I mentioned that I had lost track of why I watched Raw right now, and Extreme Rules was the change which WWE has needed since Royal Rumble. It looks like we are about to see fewer part-timers and more superstars which have been primed for success for years taking the spotlight from WWE’s mainstays. This is the stuff that internet fans go crazy for, and I was more than content to just watch this week without second guessing where stories are going.

The matches are what took the spotlight (can you believe we got two really good matches in the show-stealing Shield vs. Team Hell No & Kofi Kingston, and Randy Orton vs. Jack Swagger?). Even Sheamus looked to make Titus O’Neil look strong.

In fact, the only mention of the upcoming Payback PPV was at the very start of the show by Ryback. It was a strong suggestion that WWE wants to start building storylines over time rather than throwing matches together on a whim, and I fully support this.

I leave you with this question – did you like the unveiling of Curtis Axel as the newest Paul Heyman guy? If not, who would you have liked to see taking that spot?

Follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and let me know what you think with #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I honestly thought Heyman's new guy was going to be wasted on Ryback. I'm glad he's with a "new" face and its gonna shake things up. I never really payed much attention to Michael McGillicutty, to be honest but I was aware of his lineage. I'm not too keen on the name but I'm interested on seeing how far he will go. He looks, to me, like he couod be a main eventer some day even though he did come off as weak looking to Triple H.

Side note: am I the only one that is tired of seeing Jack Swagger lose? I was legitimately pissed about the ending of his match at Extreme Rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    I honestly thought Heyman's new guy was going to be wasted on Ryback. I'm glad he's with a "new" face and its gonna shake things up. I never really payed much attention to Michael McGillicutty, to be honest but I was aware of his lineage. I'm not too keen on the name but I'm interested on seeing how far he will go. He looks, to me, like he couod be a main eventer some day even though he did come off as weak looking to Triple H.

Side note: am I the only one that is tired of seeing Jack Swagger lose? I was legitimately pissed about the ending of his match at Extreme Rules.
    The name is something I think will grow on me very quickly, and as for the Swagger thing it's a storyline which I have been interested in just because I think all three superstars involved can put on great matches. This will inevitably lead to the Ladder match which was supposed to happen on Sunday.
    I loved the unveiling of Curtis Axel. I was worried he was going to become the new Drew McIntyre: forever jobbing on Superstars. The name is great, giving a nod to two previous generations of his family.

As far as the closing of the show, I actually believe it was a clever bit of booking (despite Trips' atrocious ham acting). HHH now has a legitimate 'out' from the feud with Lesnar without losing too much face, and Axel can now be given props for taking The Game out of the- um, game. At least it appears what could have been an interminable feud got buried, instead of a legitimate superstar. Thank you, Paul Heyman.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.