View RSS Feed

ColoradoDude

My Top Ten from my lifetime...

Rating: 4 votes, 2.50 average.
So, this is my first post --- I read another blogger's post and figured that making a top ten list would be an easy and good place to start.

I am not going way back before my life. I was born in 1984, so all of these selections basically come from 1990-today. I've been a wrestling fan since I was a kid...

10. Sting
WCW and TNA are lucky to have a guy like Sting represent them. He has great character and tells a great story in the ring. He'd be higher up if he faced some of the WWE guys of the past 10 years.

9. Kurt Angle
The first time I actually realized how good he really is was in his WrestleMania 21 match with HBK. He obviously has a fantastic skill-set coming from the Olympics, but he is great at making an audience love him or hate him. Kurt gives his all each match and I find him fun to watch.

8. CM Punk
I honestly don't know if there has ever been a performer who can be so liked when being the "bad guy." His mic skills are top notch, he can wrestle with the best of them, and his attitude relates to a lot of fans.

7. Bret Hart
I can't stand the man. I make fun of him constantly and hate when he opens his mouth. I believe him to be delusional, pompous, and pathetic...however, he was a great wrestler. His technical wrestling ability was top notch and I don't believe I saw many bad matches.

6. Kevin Nash
There simply wasn't a better big man in the business. He had the look, the skill, and the presence to command your attention. Heck, when he appear these days on camera, I am still captivated....and he isn't even wrestling. Diesel/Nash/Big Sexy - whatever you want to call him - he was truly great.

5. Edge
The thing I love about Edge is that he was constantly innovating, changing, and morphing into a new era/stage of his career. I never saw a bad match from him and I don't believe that anyone played the "villain" role better than him. His "live sex show" was outrageous but hit a nerve with fans. Still bummed that the 'Rated-R Superstar' had to hang his boots up.

4. Randy Savage
Anytime I hear his music I remember some great times in my childhood - whether it was his 'Mega-Powers' days or his 'Macho-King' gimmick or his commercials with 'Slim-Jim,' I was always thoroughly entertained. Who can forget the flying elbow drop?

3. Ric Flair
Woooooooooooo! The 'Nature Boy.' I loved everything he ever did - The 4 Horsemen, Evolution, his feuds with Sting & Hogan in WCW, and his last run in WWE. The figure-four was to be feared. Best promos ever.

2. Shawn Michaels
I have always been an HBK fan. His early days with Jannetty were fun, but when he threw Marty's head through the barbershop window, I was hooked. From his days with Sensational Sherri to DX to his born again Christian run, Shawn Michaels was the best in-ring performer I have ever watched. If I had to pick one guy to watch for the rest of my life, I'd pick Shawn.

1. Hulk Hogan
Yes, I am still a 'Hulkamaniac.' He wasn't the best in-ring performer and he's not the best on the mic, but he was the one that got me interested in this great sport. I said my prayers and ate my vitamins. I hated him when he went to the nWo. I cheered him when he returned to tag with Edge. I still am cheering him on with TNA. Hogan was the first to transcend the business. Yes, others worked just as hard if not harder, but Hogan paved the way for the Rock, Austin, and Cena.

Now to address who I left off....
  • The Rock --- I simply don't like him. He left the business and I loathe what he did this last time out.
  • Steve Austin --- I love wrestling being edgy, but I always thought that Austin took it a bit far for my tastes. Great entertainer, just not my cup of tea.
  • John Cena --- I am sick of the Incredible Hulk routine. I respect his hard work, but I am just not a huge fan at the end of the day.
  • Undertaker --- The WrestleMania predictability ruined him for me.

Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to Digg Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to del.icio.us Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to StumbleUpon Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to Google

Updated 05-16-2013 at 09:19 PM by ColoradoDude

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PAINFUL TRUTH
    So you think Kevin Nash deserves the spot over The Rock?
    It's not about "deserves" --- it's all preference. Wrestling is scripted. Heck, this list could also include Mick Foley, Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, etc. There are a lot of great performers. I just don't buy into the whole Rock/Austin as the greatest.
    Updated 05-17-2013 at 11:11 AM by ColoradoDude
    10.John Cena
    9.RVD
    8.Kurt Angle
    7.AJ Styles
    6.Randy Savage
    5.Goldberg
    4.Undertaker
    3.Sting
    2.The Rock
    1.Stone Cold
    I don't question your list because all this is your opinion and I will give you mine.

The thing I don't get is the thing that you write that there wasn't any better big guy in the business than Kevin Nash. Well of course that's your opinion but I can't agree with you about that statement. Undertaker is far more better from in ring to the character itself and don't get me on his storytelling ability. Cut the predictability crap. It's all about your mind. 50/50 the other wrestler beats the other one. The storylines have been better and better each year and I myself have been thinkin, this time Undertaker lose.

Hogan may have paved the way for Rock/Austin/Cena, but Sammartino and all the other great wrestlers/superstars walked that way 1000 times before Hogan even knew how to do a leg drop. Again my opinion. Rock/Austin/Cena is far more respected by me as a fan than Hogan. The way Hogan paved for these three superstars/wrestlers you picked that you talk about, well these three superstars made that way bigger. Sure I get, Hogan "made" wrestling. But Austin raised it.

I myself have never been a big fan of Cena or The Rock, hell nor Austin but the thing I can't stand is the hulkamania himself from the beach in a sunny Florida, Hulk Hogan.

When you ranked these superstars as you did on this blog, how do you rank them? Based on what? How they "captivated" you?

As I said this is your opinion and I am not telling you that it is a bad list or a good list, I am just curious about how you rank this list.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyno535
    I don't question your list because all this is your opinion and I will give you mine.

The thing I don't get is the thing that you write that there wasn't any better big guy in the business than Kevin Nash. Well of course that's your opinion but I can't agree with you about that statement. Undertaker is far more better from in ring to the character itself and don't get me on his storytelling ability. Cut the predictability crap. It's all about your mind. 50/50 the other wrestler beats the other one. The storylines have been better and better each year and I myself have been thinkin, this time Undertaker lose.

Hogan may have paved the way for Rock/Austin/Cena, but Sammartino and all the other great wrestlers/superstars walked that way 1000 times before Hogan even knew how to do a leg drop. Again my opinion. Rock/Austin/Cena is far more respected by me as a fan than Hogan. The way Hogan paved for these three superstars/wrestlers you picked that you talk about, well these three superstars made that way bigger. Sure I get, Hogan "made" wrestling. But Austin raised it.

I myself have never been a big fan of Cena or The Rock, hell nor Austin but the thing I can't stand is the hulkamania himself from the beach in a sunny Florida, Hulk Hogan.

When you ranked these superstars as you did on this blog, how do you rank them? Based on what? How they "captivated" you?

As I said this is your opinion and I am not telling you that it is a bad list or a good list, I am just curious about how you rank this list.
    Seriously? You actually think Taker will lose? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Blah blah blah. You talk out of your ass about Hogan. Learn to read - I gave an explanation of why I ranked them where I did. I also explained why I left off your heroes.
    Here's my Top Ten for what it's worth, from a similar time period:

10 - Samoa Joe - Doesn't look like a "STAR" but has unbelievable agility for his size and is very intense. Watching him you really believe "Joe's gonna Kill ya". Not helped by some poor booking recently,

9 - Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase - Fantastic gimmick, great on the mic and very talented between the ropes. Never saw him have a bad match during his main career

8 - Edge - I'm a huge Edgehead, very solid all round, rarely had a bad match but only rarely stole the show unless in a tag team stuntfest or with Kurt Angle at Backlash 04 (I think) in the hair vs hair match

7 - Sting - My first wrestling hero from his WCW days. Character has evolved with the business, still acceptable in the ring, and loved his Sting/Joker persona during the Immortal storyline

6 - Bret Hart - Fantastic technically, decent on mic, would be higher if he wasn't such a crybaby and varied his routine a bit

5 - Mr Perfect Curt Henning - Greatest ever to never be world champ. Great matches with Hart, Bossman, Texas Tornado amongst others. Still looked good during his last WWE run. Shawn Micheals openly admits he based his big bumping style on Mr Perfect.

4 - Mick Foley - Fan since Cactus Jack on WCW. Ran 3 charcaters at the same time yet managed to keep them seperate. Always willing to put others over (HHH and Rock both won their first world titles from him), got Vader over in WCW, gave Undertaker his first decent feud in years, and went a long way to making Randy Orton with their Last Man Standing match.

3 - Steve Austin - Not just Stone Cold, but Stunning Steve from WCW. Fantastic worker until neck injury, superb with Brian Pillman in the Hollywood Blondes, led the Attitude era, heel turn at 'Mania 17 didn't work, but comedy gold with Kurt Angle. One of the best on the mic as well!

2 - Shawn Michaels - Took a lot of Mr Perfects strengths, and improved on them, fantastic as heel or face, changed tag team wrestling with Marty Janetty as the Rockers, and his comeback enhanced his legacy. Don't think he ever had a bad match

1 - Kurt Angle - Hear me out! This guy would have ben a star in ANY era! Has the toughness and genuine skills to match George Hackenscmidt, Lou Thesz, Bruno Samartino etc, had the mic skills to back this up, and the gold medal winning hero would have been a great face gimmick in the cartoon era, and got himself over in the attitude era. Happy to make others look good on their WWF/E debuts (Taz, Mysterio, Cena) and still happy to job for others today (Jay Lethal, Wes Briscoe) and gave James Storm his first world title as well as arguing for Bobby Roode to beat him in original BFG series final.

Who I've left off
    Cena - Can't wrestle or sell, and don't rate his mic skills
    Hogan - Overrated! Plus I've done this from 1990 onwards and he was well past it then
    Flair - Past his prime, bar 1992 Rumble showing
    Punk - Only just missed, give it 5 years may well make it
    Undertaker - Too many poor fueds - Gonzales, Yokozuna, Underfaker etc
    Savage/Roberts - timescale
    HHH - Too selfish in mid 2000's to get the nod
    Rock - Close. Had he had some great matches rather than mediocre ones on his return he'd be in
    Its extremely hard to pick a top 10 but my top 5 in an order I'm still undecided about is austin hbk taker hhh mick foley
    The list is your opinion so I won't say if I disagree or not. I do have a problem with you saying there wasn't better big man in the business then Kevin Nash.I'm guess he would even say that's not true.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.