View RSS Feed

ColoradoDude

My Top Ten from my lifetime...

Rating: 4 votes, 2.50 average.
So, this is my first post --- I read another blogger's post and figured that making a top ten list would be an easy and good place to start.

I am not going way back before my life. I was born in 1984, so all of these selections basically come from 1990-today. I've been a wrestling fan since I was a kid...

10. Sting
WCW and TNA are lucky to have a guy like Sting represent them. He has great character and tells a great story in the ring. He'd be higher up if he faced some of the WWE guys of the past 10 years.

9. Kurt Angle
The first time I actually realized how good he really is was in his WrestleMania 21 match with HBK. He obviously has a fantastic skill-set coming from the Olympics, but he is great at making an audience love him or hate him. Kurt gives his all each match and I find him fun to watch.

8. CM Punk
I honestly don't know if there has ever been a performer who can be so liked when being the "bad guy." His mic skills are top notch, he can wrestle with the best of them, and his attitude relates to a lot of fans.

7. Bret Hart
I can't stand the man. I make fun of him constantly and hate when he opens his mouth. I believe him to be delusional, pompous, and pathetic...however, he was a great wrestler. His technical wrestling ability was top notch and I don't believe I saw many bad matches.

6. Kevin Nash
There simply wasn't a better big man in the business. He had the look, the skill, and the presence to command your attention. Heck, when he appear these days on camera, I am still captivated....and he isn't even wrestling. Diesel/Nash/Big Sexy - whatever you want to call him - he was truly great.

5. Edge
The thing I love about Edge is that he was constantly innovating, changing, and morphing into a new era/stage of his career. I never saw a bad match from him and I don't believe that anyone played the "villain" role better than him. His "live sex show" was outrageous but hit a nerve with fans. Still bummed that the 'Rated-R Superstar' had to hang his boots up.

4. Randy Savage
Anytime I hear his music I remember some great times in my childhood - whether it was his 'Mega-Powers' days or his 'Macho-King' gimmick or his commercials with 'Slim-Jim,' I was always thoroughly entertained. Who can forget the flying elbow drop?

3. Ric Flair
Woooooooooooo! The 'Nature Boy.' I loved everything he ever did - The 4 Horsemen, Evolution, his feuds with Sting & Hogan in WCW, and his last run in WWE. The figure-four was to be feared. Best promos ever.

2. Shawn Michaels
I have always been an HBK fan. His early days with Jannetty were fun, but when he threw Marty's head through the barbershop window, I was hooked. From his days with Sensational Sherri to DX to his born again Christian run, Shawn Michaels was the best in-ring performer I have ever watched. If I had to pick one guy to watch for the rest of my life, I'd pick Shawn.

1. Hulk Hogan
Yes, I am still a 'Hulkamaniac.' He wasn't the best in-ring performer and he's not the best on the mic, but he was the one that got me interested in this great sport. I said my prayers and ate my vitamins. I hated him when he went to the nWo. I cheered him when he returned to tag with Edge. I still am cheering him on with TNA. Hogan was the first to transcend the business. Yes, others worked just as hard if not harder, but Hogan paved the way for the Rock, Austin, and Cena.

Now to address who I left off....
  • The Rock --- I simply don't like him. He left the business and I loathe what he did this last time out.
  • Steve Austin --- I love wrestling being edgy, but I always thought that Austin took it a bit far for my tastes. Great entertainer, just not my cup of tea.
  • John Cena --- I am sick of the Incredible Hulk routine. I respect his hard work, but I am just not a huge fan at the end of the day.
  • Undertaker --- The WrestleMania predictability ruined him for me.

Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to Digg Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to del.icio.us Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to StumbleUpon Submit "My Top Ten from my lifetime..." to Google

Updated 05-16-2013 at 09:19 PM by ColoradoDude

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This list is better than the last but still debatable...or maybe not. Punk at #8 and Edge at #5? Interesting selections...While they were great to watch, their inclusion in a top 10 list is awkward. SCSA too edgy? Taker streak predictability ruined it for you? These are statements that you tell a best friend in which they respond with something like" Yeah I'm hammered too".

I commend you for omitting The Rock. Yeah he was arguably the most entertaining guy during the attitude era. 8 years plus 5 more paycheck matches does not make you one of the greatest ever. No way. I invite people to argue the opposite.
    Updated 05-17-2013 at 01:19 AM by Kajmere
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    I commend you for omitting The Rock. Yeah he was arguably the most entertaining guy during the attitude era. 8 years plus 5 more paycheck matches does not make you one of the greatest ever. No way. I invite people to argue the opposite.

So you think Kevin Nash deserves the spot over The Rock?
    I do not think that. My Rock comment is independent of his top 10, which for the most part contained legitimate rankings. But yeah Nash sucks if that's what you wanna hear lol
    I would put both Stone Cold and the Rock on that list. Part of being a professional wrestler is to be able to tell your story both in and out of the ring. The Rock is a very good actor and that is most evident in his ability to sell. He's been good at selling for his opponents regardless of the stage of his career or the opponent. The Rock is one of the best stick guys ever and only seems rusty now because he's been away from the repetition of doing the mic work 300 days a year. I personally do not get the love fest for CM Punk, so for me, he would be off that list. As would be Angle. His in ring skills are evident, he's OK on the stick, but there's no depth to chrarchter beyond the Olympic Gold Medalist. I did enjoy the comedy routine he had going with SCSA way back, but beyond that I've never been a fan of his in WWF/E or now in TNA.
    and for the record, the top ten for me would be:

1 thru 9 in no particular order - Sting, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Shawn Michaels, Jake the Snake Roberts (didn't have to speak to tell a story in or out of the ring), Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Shane Douglas, Tommy Dreamer.

#1 is Ric Flair - There has never been a wrestler that can combine the three attributes that if held individually can still get you over all in one package. The Nature Boy had the look, he had the stick work and least important of all he had the in ring skills that could be matched abainst any wrestler of any generation.

And while I stated 1 thru 9 was in no particular order, Mick Foley is a VEEEERY close 2nd to Rick Flair.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PAINFUL TRUTH
    This list is better than the last but still debatable...or maybe not. Punk at #8 and Edge at #5? Interesting selections...While they were great to watch, their inclusion in a top 10 list is awkward. SCSA too edgy? Taker streak predictability ruined it for you? These are statements that you tell a best friend in which they respond with something like" Yeah I'm hammered too".

Thanks for the comment. I don't think that there is anything debatable about Edge and Punk being in the discussion. Edge was a great Tag Team champ and a great World Champ. Name a better villain....

As for Punk, who has created more of an uproar in the past 30 years? Who has spoken his mind and actually challenged the status quo like he has? Some will say Austin, but Austin's stuff wasn't as unscripted.

Stone Cold was too edgy. Yeah. For most, he wasn't. His entrance into the business brought more of the "entertainment" aspect (which is fine). I simply don't care for his body of work.

And yes, Taker's streak makes me yawn. It sucks up a spot on the WrestleMania card every year. Whoever faces him loses. Big deal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.