View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
Lately, it is becoming more and more difficult to find a reason to look forward to Raw. This isn’t going to be one of THOSE blogs; tearing into the WWE product and telling you all that creative is to blame for the (supposed) lack of character development and ‘poor’ storytelling. At the end of the day I am a WWE fan and I, like everyone else, watch the product for my own personal reasons.

My reasons for the past year have been CM Punk, Chris Jericho and Daniel Bryan. Until recently, I was happy with the roles of two of those superstars whilst I accepted the mid-card status of ‘Goatface’ himself, Daniel Bryan. Now that Punk has taken a leave of absence and Chris Jericho is embroiled in a somewhat entertaining feud with Fandango, I’ve had to look elsewhere for my fix of main event satisfaction.

The Shield are golden

That’s where The Shield comes into play. Anybody who reads this blog regularly knows that I enjoy the work of Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns, and I’m not alone.

This week we learned, in a rather underwhelming manner, that all three members of The Shield are in contention for championship gold on Sunday (whatever happened to the mid-card championships getting confrontational challenges, by the way?). As far as I’m concerned, it is a foregone conclusion that The Shield are leaving as United States and Tag Team Champions – in a similar vein to Armageddon 2003 and the night Evolution left with all the gold.

The trio lost their undefeated streak (in the most ridiculous of ways – DQ, really?) last night, but the match itself was advertisement enough for Extreme Rules. Team Hell No seem to have a real chemistry with The Shield, and the stipulation of a Tornado Tag Team match will add to the inevitable chaos which The Shield thrive in. Combine that with Bryan’s ability to turn up the pace instantly (his comeback combo and reckless abandon last night were awesome) and you have a match which could steal the show.

As for Ambrose and his United States title match against Kofi Kingston, it could be a technical or high-flying match – perhaps even a combination of the two. I personally just want to see Ambrose use that finisher of his again.

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar

I don’t have a witty title to lead into this Extreme Rules Steel Cage match, and it seems fitting.

WWE has built this match as personally as they can, and both superstars (and Paul Heyman) have done well in making it feel that way. In a nutshell, this is the only match which has a decent build leading to Sunday night.

Forget John Cena and his inevitable win over Ryback, this is the true main event (the only other match I would have said was built well was the World Heavyweight Championship Ladder match, but due to Dolph Ziggler’s unfortunate concussion we will have to wait for WWE to hopefully give us that another time).

For weeks the commentary team has billed this as the rubber match for this year-long feud, and I think that’s what makes it so appealing. Also, the inevitable carnage that the two can produce (it’s almost a shame that they’ll be restricted to a Steel Cage) sells this as a main event for a PPV called Extreme Rules.

The only way I can see this match disappointing me is if Triple H continues the theme of burying Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules.

I started out by saying that I am struggling to find a reason to watch Raw right now, and I think my interest in Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H sums up just how little WWE has on the table right now.

I’ve openly said that I have no interest in Triple H being back in the ring, and little interest in Brock Lesnar due to his limited dates, in the past (I still cannot re-view SummerSlam 2012 because of how terrible their match was). Its role as my secondary reason for watching Extreme Rules is a shock to me, but it shows how big a gap the absence of CM Punk is in WWE’s main event right now. Of course, this is just my opinion and in no way fact.

The last few weeks on Raw have seen me refreshing my Twitter feed more often than watching the show. Tonight was no exception, as in a three hour show we got one good match and a semi-enthralling confrontation to close the show.

I look forward to Sunday, but only because there is the potential for a changing of the guard in The Shield and Brock Lesnar.

Finally, my question to you this week - what would you like to see The Shield do after Extreme Rules and why?

Thank you for reading, please follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and leave me your comments using the hashtag #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i am pissed that the shield lost BY DQ.... TO CENA.
    It's lookin like they all walk out as champions, and honestly, they really should. I literally haven't seen a single post on this website in 2013 from someone that wants Hell No to keep the titles. Yeah tag titles may seem like a downgrade for the Shield, but if booked right, it can be done. Plus it should spruce up the division.

As for Kofi, I can't stand the guy. He's talented but he can't cut promos and his matches are so formulaic, even for wrestling. Ambrose is the way to go. I just hope the rematches will be on TV so we get fresh feuds for Payback, but judging from its name I doubt I'll get my wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    It's lookin like they all walk out as champions, and honestly, they really should. I literally haven't seen a single post on this website in 2013 from someone that wants Hell No to keep the titles. Yeah tag titles may seem like a downgrade for the Shield, but if booked right, it can be done. Plus it should spruce up the division.

As for Kofi, I can't stand the guy. He's talented but he can't cut promos and his matches are so formulaic, even for wrestling. Ambrose is the way to go. I just hope the rematches will be on TV so we get fresh feuds for Payback, but judging from its name I doubt I'll get my wish.
    I actually have no problem with Team Hell No's title reign, I've enjoyed them working together. I just want Daniel Bryan to go back to what he's best at - singles action. His WWE Championship feud with Punk was gold, and they need someone like Bryan to bring the best out of Cena again if he's to stay champion for a prolonged time period.

As for Kofi, I like his matches. I just think he's been given the US title so Ambrose has a mega-face to take it from. Kofi just needs something interesting to work with so he can escape his mid-card status.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodomens
    I'd say it's WWE's terrible effort at planting a seed of doubt in our minds about The Shield's success come Sunday.
    I enjoyed most of THN's reign, but they've rarely defended them this year and it's at the point where so many stars are starving in that division without a shot. I'm also a huge DB fan and like you said, it's time for him to move back up.
    I get more incredulous every event at WWE's booking. Sometimes I nitpick their decisions but really they screw up some big things. If you're going to have Cesaro lose, what was the point of that "I beat anyone you send my way" promo that's usually reserved for people on winning streaks??

The booking of Ryback vs. John Cena, while not good, hasn't been horrible either and the injury angle is never a bad road to go. If I wasn't a smark who knows it's impossible, maybe I would believe Cena would lose. The big mistake is Ryback being the number one contender. People don't care. Not his fault either. Making him lose occasionally isn't a bad thing to distinguish him from Goldberg but having him lose every PPV and then announcing him number one contender is atrocious booking.

I didn't watch Raw so I am not sure if they made a big deal out of The Shield losing, but otherwise it's nothing major. Losing to the WWE champion by DQ (who should also look strong but vulnerable going into the PPV) does nothing to diminish the group. I enjoyed Triple H vs. Lesnar at Wrestlemania even though a lot of people seemed not to but more than anything I'm glad to see this feud come to an end. If Lesnar loses though....ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodomens
    If you read spoilers for the house shows(or dark matches after Raw) The Sheild always loses by DQ- and Cena is usaully always involved in the 6 man tag team matches
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.