View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Coffee Talk: What's So Great About...

Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Hey fans. DK Wrestling Savior here with another edition of Coffee Talk. It's been quite a while since I posted as I've been very busy with school and work and my daughter. I am proud to announce that, school is finished and in a week, I learn whether or not if I am a college grad at the ripe age of....well, let's just say, too old. I've basically pulled all A's and a B this semester so unless I completely bombed my finals to a point of disaster, I'd say it's a safe bet I'll be receiving my degree in a few weeks. It's quite an accomplishment and I'm very proud to have finally reached this milestone.

But enough about that. It's time to grab your cup of joe, latte, capuccino, steamer, espresso, whatever your poison is, and let's enjoy some Coffee Talk.

I've been away from the blog scene but I've kept up to date. I've followed the forums and blogs and I've read some really awesome stuff from some awesome people. One popular topic I've noticed recently is the pushing of certain superstars. And while I'm in favor of pushing superstars who deserve to be pushed, it's a very opinionated circumstance. Who should be pushed and why. But it's not so much just that. There's the other side of the coin. If you're going to push certain people, that means you have to de-push others. And I've heard certain reasons like, "this guy is a workhorse" or "this guy has paid his dues". The thing about these statements is, the people who have been pushed currently have worked just as hard and paid just as many dues. So I'm throwing a question out there. As you can see in the title, that question is, "What's so great about" and then we'll fill in the blanks with a few popular guys that "need to be pushed".

So I'm gonna start this one off with one that may make everyone's eyes pop out of their heads. What's so great about...Fandango? I, for one, don't understand Fandangoing by any means. I think it was a fluky little thing that was brought on by the crazy NY fans on the night after Wrestlemania and I think it's already fading fast. But listening to Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole, you'd never realize that. They're pushing it like it's the hottest thing to ever grace God's green earth, and it's already getting to the point of being shoved down our throats. I get that Johnny Curtis is a good wrestler and all, but the gimmick is really just unimpressive at best. What happens with Fandango when his feud with Jericho finally ends? No more playing off Dancing with the Stars. Then where does Fandango go? Is a ballroom dancer really destined to be a top star? I, for one, am way off the bandwagon on this one. I don't see it at all.

What's so great about...Wade Barrett? I think people want him to be something that he currently is not able to be. I always hear references like "he's got the size that Vince likes" or "he's got great mic skills". Really? Great mic skills? I think he's somewhat okay on the mic. His ring skills are pretty bland though. He does have nice size but really lacks charisma. He's one of those that I feel looks the part, but can't really be the part. He was good as the leader of Nexus...for about two weeks. Then, all the references of "a greater purpose" just got old...especially since we never found out what that purpose was. Now he's the IC champ and honestly, I think he's where he needs to be at this point in time. He's a midcarder right now. I don't see much more out him, at least for the forseeable future. I don't see him getting higher than where he is now, by the time next Wrestlemania comes around. His time may come, as it probably should, but right now, I think more storylines in the midcard scene revolving around the IC Title will do him a world of good. I don't see main event scene for him anytime soon though.

What's so great about...Tyson Kidd? I'm going to be honest here. I watch Raw and Impact. Once in a while, I'll catch Smackdown if I hear something good happens. I follow nothing else. Not Main Event. Not NXT. Not Superstars. I don't know where the sudden love for Tyson Kidd came from, but let's get real. It is basically a scientific fact that ring ability alone doesn't get you real far in WWE. What else does he bring that he needs this push? Is it more because CM Punk mentioned his name in a fake pipe bomb a while back? I don't know. Punk obviously follows the IWC trends because he mentioned Kidd in order to gain acceptance. In all honestly, I don't see much for Tyson Kidd accept perhaps teaming with someone if the WWE wants to invest more into the tag team division. Other than that, I don't see him surpassing Justin Gabriel in status.

What's so great about...The Shield? Uh Oh. Did I just say that? Did I really go there? Yes, I went there. If there's one thing that bugs me above all else, it's people who worship The Shield, and will turn around and rip Aces & Eights. I get it they are TNA haters and all, but other than numbers, they are the exact same thing. And as I've said many times, that Aces & Eights needs to do more than just the gang beatdowns, the same principal goes for The Shield. I've seen about as many 3 on 1 gang beatings as I can take at this point. The constant three-man tag matches and serious endorsements they're getting on commentary are becoming annoying. They need something to do now. How much longer will we see The Shield in a 6 man tag match against a makeshift team of 3 guys? What was it on Raw? The Usos and Kofi Kingston? Really? That tells what story? That serves what purpose? How about a tag match against the Usos? Or a singles match against Kofi Kingston? Wouldn't they have done more for The Shield than a six man tag match? And what about their feud with Team Hell No? How is it they are feuding with Kane & Bryan and whoever they throw in there with them, and then later on, play a part in the Cena/Ryback feud with no Kane & Bryan in sight? I'm just not sure how that works. The Shield, in my eyes, has to do something more and show a little more diversity. I believe Stale is the popular word for what they are becoming. At least in my eyes. I know they're popular on here, I just don't see it. I was intrigued in the beginning, but it's starting to get repetitive now and that this point, I just don't see what's so great about them. Again, i hear the popular praises on mic skills, but really, they talk. Not much more than just talk. Perhaps future stars in the making but, I don't see stardom in them right now.

Where there you have it folks. My cup of joe is now empty. Take this blog for what it is, my opinion. I'd love to hear your answers to my question of What's So Great About...

I hope enjoyed this edition of Coffee Talk. Thank you for reading everyone and Be Safe!

Submit "Coffee Talk: What's So Great About..." to Digg Submit "Coffee Talk: What's So Great About..." to del.icio.us Submit "Coffee Talk: What's So Great About..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Coffee Talk: What's So Great About..." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A lot of the appeal of The Shield is the newness of the guys and that every person seems important. You know I like me some TNA but the Aces and Eights unfortunately can't say that every guy seems important or that every person is new. Plus they lose a lot.

I would like something more from The Shield as far as a why they are here or what justice means to them, but that would take good writing to drag it out. Where's that soap opera writer when you need him?

I do agree on your point with the Usos and Kofi facing against them. Not every match needs to be building a story, but the teams at least have to make some sense!
    You provided good logic for your opinions. I'll just add my 2 cents about the Shield. Yeah they may not be in the midst of something grande at the moment, but they're still over as hell right now and have this magnetism that makes everyone want to watch.

Not too much left to do in tag teaming, you're right, but we have seen new ongoings with them in terms of both eyeing the tag titles and spanning out to singles competition as well. WWE doesn't need to make a drastic move with them yet, it seems like they (along with many of us) are simply enjoying the ride at the moment.
    First, congratulations on school
    I totally agree with Fandango. I believe it was all just. 'Right place, right time' thing and had more to do with the crowds boredom of Orton/Sheamus than any love for Fandango. I got a small kick out of Curtis on Santino's web show, but never saw much in him as a wrestler.
    Barrett is an interesting subject. I don't think he should have won a WHC or anything yet, but I would rather see him as a legitimate challenge to the likes of Sheamus, Orton and others than as an IC champ.
    I like Kidd, but partly because of Canadian bias and the fact he came out of the Dungeon. I thought they rushed the break-up of the Hart Legacy as didn't see Kidd as a singles star. I see his career revolving around tag teams. Perhaps one day challenging for the IC. But unfortunately that will likely be his cap.
    Now the popular topic of the Shield. I do watch (and love) NXT, so had the chance to watch these guys before the Shield formation. You could see the potential back when they use to fight over the FCW championship. I hope they don't split up anytime soon as why rush things. I think that's what ruined Barrett and cause people to wonder why he hasn't had a WHC run yet. Just going on their WWE careers thus far, I personally enjoy Ambrose in and out of the ring. His feud with Regal reminded me of Foley. Watching Rollins on NXT made me think of Jeff Hardy or CM Punk in how he could be very popular if pushed that way. And we all know Reigns has that 'look' of being a WWE star. I think on 5 years they'll be feuding over the WWE title much like they use to the FCW and look forward to those matches.
    So that is my 2 cents. Great blog. You are right in that everyone has their own perception on things and it's nice to see someone else look at things more logically than just 'I like this guy so he should be pushed'
    Good blog man. I really like where you went with this because I have had the same thoughts about a lot of guys on the roster, but these 3 or 4 stars you talked about are hot topics with smarks all over the internet so I'm glad you picked them.

I agree with so much of what you said about Barrett. He is where he should be right now, but I also think that is because we do not know if he can move past where he is. This guy has held the IC title two times now in recent months including through the last part of Mania season and he has exactly zero feuds over it. He has been a stepping stone for the main eventers throughout the past few months and nothing more. They have teased storylines with Sheamus and Bo Dallas, but nothing has pushed on to tv to make me think he is ready for anything more than where he is now.

The Kidd thing, to me, is smarks following the lead of stars like CM Punk saying Kidd deserves a chance. He is a fine in ring wrestler, but he doesn't bring anything more to the table right now. He isn't going to be able to work a program that will get fans excited. But again, we don't know if he is capable because anytime you see him he is being buried.

The Sheild on the other hand... I have a big problem with the Sheild. The next time I read or hear someone compare Dean Ambrose to Terry Funk I may turn the tv off. These three guys work well within the framework they have now, but there is no evidence that they will succeed outside of it. I think the three man group concept is being used to protect their flaws. They are purposely keeping Reigns from talking because he needs more work. Rollins is that guy on the playground you want to hit because he just builds on what the cool kids say. He is the Chris Bosh of the WWE. He's alright but he gets more love than he should because he is with two guys who are better. Ambrose can hold his own. He has enough in ring experience from working elsewhere that they trust him wrestling with the major stars, but again, it is all in the framework of a 3 man group. Of the three, one of them will catch on as a star. Just not sure who that one will be.
    Really good blog. I totally agree with the stuff about Wade Barrett and Tyson Kidd.

Congrats on the degree.
    Barrett seemed less stiff before his arm injury, which I think WWE management noticed when he came back and put him in the mid card level to clear out any ring rust. That has not happened. I thought his matches with Cena and Orton were pretty good when he had Nexus. Fandango is just Vince's love of Gimmicks and how he likes to throw one in the mix on occasion. The Shield are just fresh and have not been buried and they are equals. The IWC complains about TNA & WWE always using the old wrestlers and shoving them down our throats. At least WWE has gotten better about doing that. If Tyson Kidd bulked up, he could be another Benoit in my opinion. He just needs to be a lil bigger to have that intimidating factor along with meaner demeanor (No Pun). That or go with a psychotic demeanor which would work for him.
    First off, lemme say Congrats on the degree man!! Hey, you are never too old to get an education man! Now great blog again sir! I definitely like how you picked on some of these top names in the IWC. I agree with you totally about the Fandango analysis. My gripe is that I actually liked him more when he was weirdo Johnny “Dirty Curtty” Curtis. He could have gotten a lot weirder and made it work really well. I also agree with you about about Tyson Kidd and the Shield. Also I’ve kind of thought of Wade Barrett as a smaller English version of Batista. He’s not as strong, but just as bland as Batista wrestling-wise and he’s a little bit better on the mic, but other than that, it’s kinda sort of a formula that the ‘E has for these big tough bruisers, and Wade seems to fall into that category.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.