View RSS Feed

Bobby1181

A 54yr old man should not be #1 contender

Rate this Entry
TNA just cannot exorcise itself from the ghosts of WCW's past. In fact the company embraces those ghosts with open arms. And that is exactly what my gripe with TNA is. Let go of the ghosts, let go of nostalgia, let go of the WCW way of doing things.

One of the reasons I couldn't stand WCW during the 90's was their reliance on fading older stars that were going into their 50's and clearly were in decline as far as in ring ability is concerned. Hulk Hogan is the most glaring example, yes I get he was a chicken-shit heel during his NWO run, but all that was a smokescreen to cover up the fact that the guy's body just couldn't go anymore. Anyone one remember before he turned heel in WCW? Storylines were centered around him and Hogan was pushed to the moon on past merits, that he physically couldn't keep the promises of in the present. His matches were like watching someone wrestle underwater, an old man going at it at a snail's pace.

Which brings me to TNA's middle age crisis, once again Hogan finds himself at the forefront along with fellow aging icon Sting. Hogan is at the center of TNA's biggest storyline even though he literally cannot physically wrestle, so he leaves that to the aging icon Sting. This guy....I used to have some much respect for him, but over the last couple years, I dunno if it's just that he can't let it go or if Pritchard is in back specifically writing the script for him, but it boggles my mind how a guy with no more muscle mass in his arms and the developings of the middle aged man belly, who is starting to wrestle like he's underwater continues to have the world title thrusted upon him.

Case in point this past Thursday on Impact, Sting "defeated" Matt Morgan via the sharpshooter after Morgan "passed out" from the pain to become the new #1 contender. Begging me to ask why, why does a 54yr old faded star get to be #1 contender? It was among the most sloppiest looking holds I've ever seen. Sting literally just sat on Morgan with a half boston crab. Then the week before, which to me was the straw that broke the camel's back. TNA pretty much relived the 90's by having Sting via The Crow style entrance come out and layout all 10 or however many guys there are in Aces n 8s all by himself with a baseball bat. I literally screamed at my TV "Are you f***ing kidding me!? This is absolute rubbish!"

This is the nonsense that TNA and anyone in the wrestling community(every indy promoter that wants to be bischoff or russo) that isn't WWE or ROH(they get it) needs to start to understand. These are stars from a bygone era, their magic time has come and gone, and to force feed the masses them and push them upon us like they are cutting edge and new is not only an insult but a disservice to anyone who has been a longtime wrestling fan such a myself. Nothing is more pathetic than watching a faded aging sports star keep going past their prime and feel they are entitled to be a contender only to have their body betray them and us over and over again. I understand it's suspension of belief but you will never convince me that a guy in his mid 50's is seriously capable of being world champion.

Submit "A 54yr old man should not be #1 contender" to Digg Submit "A 54yr old man should not be #1 contender" to del.icio.us Submit "A 54yr old man should not be #1 contender" to StumbleUpon Submit "A 54yr old man should not be #1 contender" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just pathetic writing... but what do you expect from TNA?
    Sting's not going to win the title. And it's not Matt Morgan's time. A&E is on top right now and if Bully loses his first real title defense on PPV, they might as well wipe A&E out of the picture. Instead, Sting would put on a good match, much like he did against Bobby Roode last year.

I now realize the good idea this was. They'll be building AJ Styles during this and he and Bully will end up on a collision course. Matt Morgan will get his opportunity as well...But they couldn't have him in the current heel character that he's in, facing off against the biggest heel in the company, in the main event at Slammiversary.
    The blogger is right... This is so stupid, sad, fucking horrible

How can any wrestling company do this... The hell with TNA
    I love the story line other than Sting beating Morgan! It is a way to set up Morgan joining Sting and Hogan, the way it appeared before! il be the beast an the best. He and AJ were punished due to threats of leaving. As for old guys at the forefront, dare I remind you of WWE and HHH, ROCK ad Taker over more talented and younger PUNK, ZIgs and Barrett
    HHH has only fought Brock and Taker in 4 yrs. what young talent has he buried recently? Shield not only Beat Taker and Kane recently, but they also put taker out of commission for a while. Your right about Barrett and CM Punk though.Punk losing to Rock in their first match was lame. Barrett...don't know why they keep burying him.
    Some great feedback from you guys. Just want to clear up a couple points I made.

1. I know it's the Scorpion Deathlock. I call it the Sharpshooter cause I have way more respect for Bret Hart than Sting at this stage.

2. I should have said Morgan should not have even been in that match. I dislike him for different reason mainly that after 10 years in the business he still looks as stiff and green as his WWE run

Lastly, It's not cool to get the geezers out there for cheap pops when you have the legitimate talent of Samoa Joe, Bad Influence, Roode and Aries, Aj Styles and the woefully underutilized and horribly stereotyped Hernandez to build your company on.
    I agree...The Hitman was the bomb...Sting is the Icon...let's call it the Lion-Timer!! Hogan has always been a thief, scene stealer! He is a talented promo guy, but can't/couldn't ever wrestle. I thought his involvement would open doors for more $$$ and talent in TNA...not have him in the ring, in the story-lines! How old is Bully? Sell the young talent, have an upset every now and then...some days the Houston Astros actually win a game and play in the World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1181
    Some great feedback from you guys. Just want to clear up a couple points I made.

1. I know it's the Scorpion Deathlock. I call it the Sharpshooter cause I have way more respect for Bret Hart than Sting at this stage.

2. I should have said Morgan should not have even been in that match. I dislike him for different reason mainly that after 10 years in the business he still looks as stiff and green as his WWE run

Lastly, It's not cool to get the geezers out there for cheap pops when you have the legitimate talent of Samoa Joe, Bad Influence, Roode and Aries, Aj Styles and the woefully underutilized and horribly stereotyped Hernandez to build your company on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.