View RSS Feed

Derahk

Placing Your Bets On The Shield

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
The Shield are the best thing in wrestling at the moment. After arriving in the WWE last year, they made waves with their invasion style gimmick. It’s an easy gimmick because it’s not hard to get over. The challenge of it is keeping it over. You need to keep it fresh and its success really relies on its participants.

Their first match didn’t happen until months after their debut. A lot was riding on their abilities in the ring and they did not disappoint. It was easily the match of the year. After over six months in the WWE, they are still undefeated. They’re not quite stagnant but they do need something extra to the gimmick.

With that being said, a lot of conversation has been given to whom the breakout star of the group will be. This is my attempt to analyze each individual member.

Seth Rollins is even money but has the biggest mountain to climb. He is very talented but his talent is shared by many other superstars. His ceiling is being the next Shawn Michaels. A superb technical wrestler while being a decent talker. He would really need a hot gimmick like a D-X to give him longevity. I don’t see this being likely as Shawn is considered one of the greatest of all time. Most likely his ceiling is being the next CM Punk. Which is, to say, even if the WWE fully got behind him, he would only be met with moderate success. I’d like to comment that he actually looks a lot like Punk, which is to his detriment.

If you’re a chalk player, then Roman Reigns is your man. He has the look that Vince goes gaga over. He’s big, good looking and charisma to boot. His ceiling would be Batista. I wouldn’t doubt that his destiny will not be much different. From a very successful stable to World Champion to being a solid hand and then finally segueing to movies. Is it me or does Reigns look like Jason Momoa?

Finally we have Dean Ambrose. Ambrose is for the dog players, a real wild card. The odds are against him but you could win big if he finishes. He has no ceiling. He has that ‘it’ factor. When he talks, you listen. He could end up being the next Stone Cold Steve Austin or Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts or plunge into obscurity like Brian Pillman, Raven or Shane Douglas. I picked those specific wrestlers on purpose. He has that anti-establishment feel about him, which is why the Shield gimmick works for him so much. All the aforementioned superstars have amazing psychology. Unfortunately, all of them except for Stone Cold were sidelined for drugs and/or politics. Something I eerily feel could lead to the downfall of Ambrose.

So there is the breakdown, I won’t be presumptuous enough to pick a for-sure winner. I hope all of them lead to very successful careers. Though I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my eye on Ambrose. I think he can really give us something special.

Submit "Placing Your Bets On The Shield" to Digg Submit "Placing Your Bets On The Shield" to del.icio.us Submit "Placing Your Bets On The Shield" to StumbleUpon Submit "Placing Your Bets On The Shield" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    After the first sentence I had to stop reading.

I think The Shield is overrated. They do a sloppy triple powerbomb ... Yay?

Yes, they have good mic skills but not perfect skills. WWE will have them "dominate" for a few more months, they'll finally lose and then be midcard or jobbers.
    ^^How are they not the best thing in wrestling, please i'd love to hear what crap you spew next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous Fool
    ^^How are they not the best thing in wrestling, please i'd love to hear what crap you spew next.
    Did I say they weren't?

I didn't.

But they aren't.

Case closed.
    ^^^ So ur saying that they aint the best but they have beaten Cena, Taker, Kane, Sheamus, Show and Orton. They have beaten the best wwe can throw at them and the only reason they havent beaten CM Punk, Brock Lesnar and The Rock is because Lesnar and Punk are both associated with The Shield through Paul Hayman as every1 believes they are together, and Rock hasnt been given a chance to beat them, if u dont think that they are the best then at least believe in the shield.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!!!
    As a collective unit, they are the best in the business right now. However, I'm still interested to see how they'll fare when dismantled. Just to play devil's advocate, we have yet to see a 5 star match from any/all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandarius
    After the first sentence I had to stop reading.

I think The Shield is overrated. They do a sloppy triple powerbomb ... Yay?

Yes, they have good mic skills but not perfect skills. WWE will have them "dominate" for a few more months, they'll finally lose and then be midcard or jobbers.
    I agree that I almost stopped reading after the first sentence. I think The Shield is far from the best thing in wrestling. If that is the case, then wrestling is heading for doomsday. I think they're okay, but quickly getting bland. It's becoming very repetitive, and I think WWE is afraid to go further than what they are simply because, there are no more ideas for them. Whether or not they'll succeed remains to be seen. Right now, I think what they're doing is safe. They gang up on people and that's that.

They need to be part of the benefit for someone else. Something like an Antonio Cesaro or Wade Barrett face turn. For example. They jump someone that Cesaro just faced. Cesaro begins to walk away and then comes in to help. The crowd gets excited...BAM. Instant positive reaction to Cesaro. Guess who's suddenly over with the crowd? Guess who's getting pops when the music hits? Guess who will have everyone yodeling? Then, Cesaro vs Ziggler for WHC at SummerSlam.

Simple Logic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.