View RSS Feed

Dashing Rachel

The problems facing WWE today

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
For many years, the WWE has been the de facto wrestling promotion with its many adoring fans, high octane action, and larger-than-life Superstars. However, the WWE has been criticized by the IWC as I try to decipher in my latest blog:

Too many jobber entrances. Unless your name is either John Cena or CM Punk, the number of jobber entrances (it's when the Superstar is already in the ring as his entrance theme is being played) have increased as of late. It's gotten really bad when RAW made the switch to a three-hour format last July thanks to the WWE focusing more on in-ring promos, backstage segments, recaps, movie trailers, and social media.

Too much focus on social media. ​Speaking of WWE's increased use of social media, WWE's love affair for social media was when they replaced non-televised pre-show dark matches with pre-shows which were shown on WWE's official website, YouTube, and Facebook. The online pre-shows became a hit and inspired the WWE to be social media savvy. As a result of WWE's obsession towards social media, WWE's brand Extension was discontinued as a result.

Disappearing divas matches. You noticed that the Divas have pretty much been relegated to competing on WWE Superstars, Saturday Morning Slam, and non-televised dark matches? That's because most of the divas (with the exceptions of either A.J. or Vickie Guerrero) get no reaction from the WWE Universe and are used as bathroom/snack breaks.

Mid-carders getting lost in the shuffle. Remember when Cody Rhodes was one of the longest-reigning Intercontinental Champions of all time? Well, he's now an afterthought as he is being relegated to WWE Superstars, Saturday Morning Slam, and the jobber to the stars. And Rhodes is not alone: guys like Kofi Kingston, Damien Sandow, The Miz, R-Truth, Antonio Cesaro, Zack Ryder, Sin Cara, and 3MB are all being buried as they too hardly get a reaction from the WWE Universe.

Big names being overpushed.
What do guys like John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Big Show, Sheamus, Kane, and Daniel Bryan all have in common? Well, they are all Superstars who just so happen to be very over with the WWE Universe which is why charisma always comes first and talent second. With Vince McMahon having no faith in the rest of the roster, part-time (but marketable) Superstars such as The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, and The Undertaker were called to compete at WrestleMania 29 in a last-ditch effort to give WrestleMania 29 ​more buys and drawing power, something that guys like Justin Gabriel and JTG don't have.

Submit "The problems facing WWE today" to Digg Submit "The problems facing WWE today" to del.icio.us Submit "The problems facing WWE today" to StumbleUpon Submit "The problems facing WWE today" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree, but i think one of the main issues is the Internet and being part of the social media. Back in the Day the superstars wasnt always "on". We tuned in Monday Nights and later on Thurs Nights. It was like a regular tv show, to find out what happened after it was over, we waited a week and tuned in to see if our favorite wrestler got his revenge, who was the secret superstar set to return etc etc. But now, even though the show is over, it continues on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube etc. Its to much. Austin and Rock were amazing cuz we only got them once a week. But now the wrestlers are all over the place ,it gets old. I dont want to hear what CM Punk said each and everyday on twitter on facebook or what have you. I think WWE needs to pull away from Social Media and bring back a lil of the mystique. We dont need WWE 24/7 and the wrestlers dont have to be "on" 7 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Rachel
    Speaking of which, no Cody Rhodes on SmackDown ​this week.
    I was planning a well thought of comment, but this spoiler was a) uncalled for and b) distracts me.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. You state that WWE is pandering to the WWE universe too much and that's the bad thing. But what are they to do? Not cater to the majority of their audience?

The diva's don't get a reaction and let's be honest, they're not that good & not in it for the long haul and their love for wrestling. I'll be honest: I never cared for the diva's and never will. I liked Trish best when she was wearing a towel and Lita's best segment was the celebration with Edge. I respect those two though and think it's cool they main evented Raw, but I didn't stay in to watch the match and did no effort to see it later.

I really wish Cesaro would be in the main event and I do agree WWE takes to long to build a next generation. On the other hand: the Shield is doing mighty fine and WWE did handle them quite well. Ryback is over as hell and only two years going. I still see Sheamus as a relative newcomer, he's only been at it a few years since ECW. And on the other hand: Randy Orton hasn't been in critically acclaimed feud for about two years and still gets a better pop than 75% of the roster. Why would they dump him? The normal audience seems to still like him and buy his crap. They don't buy Sandow's, or Barrett's, apparently.

Still, you make quite a few valid points. I agree with the entrances, the social media, and a lot more you say. WWE is conservative, maybe too conservative, and they could do a lot better creatively. But I'm not so sure that would lead to them significantly doing better businesswise, which is why change will take time and the product will be stale.
    1. Is that really a problem? It's called time constraints. The lack of televised entrances isn't a huge problem; it's when they are jobbed out. So no, 1 is a non-issue.
    2. That isn't why the brand extension ended. It started as Raw was lacking star power. This is basically the only reason why Raw and Smackdown are now back to their original formats - star power. Social media has proven to be an excellent tool and every large company is now utilizing it. This isn't a negative.
    3.In all honesty, i'm not being a dick, but who has actually cared about the divas division since Trish and Lita left?
    4 and 5 are the only SMALL issues.

The problem with WWE is this; it's aimed at families. It doesn't require 20minute matches, 6 month long feuds and brutal matches anymore. The storylines are easy to digest for kids to follow and that's exactly what older generations hate (well those who aren't family orientated). Superstars need to be careful what they say, so WWE script it to a degree that to most adults, it's become cheesy and predictable. Main problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Rachel
    What do you think are the problems facing the WWE today?
    I agree with you 100%.Their talent roster is at an all time low.Nobody cares about the mid-carders because non of them can connect with the fans.Nobody can cut a decent promo to grab our attention.I remember back in the day if a mid-carder loss to a main eventer he was still relevant and still be a big star but now they loss they are knocked down to the bottom.
    you are 100% correct my friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Jones
    I agree with you 100%.Their talent roster is at an all time low.Nobody cares about the mid-carders because non of them can connect with the fans.Nobody can cut a decent promo to grab our attention.I remember back in the day if a mid-carder loss to a main eventer he was still relevant and still be a big star but now they loss they are knocked down to the bottom.
    I agree with you big name. The midcarders' inability to connect with the WWE Universe has resulted in the WWE to bring in very marketable part-timers like The Rock and Brock Lesnar for WrestleMania 29.
    100% Agree with you, mate. In my opinion, the real reason WWE is plagued with so many problems that piss off most of the fans - Vince McMahon booking what Vince McMahon wants to see.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.