View RSS Feed

Kilborn

What is a champion?

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
I’ve been an avid wrestling fan since my childhood. I’venever seen titles change hands as much as I’ve seen within this month. Alsosince when does a champion lose on a frequent basis?
My focus is going to be on the WWE and no disrespect to ROHand TNA championships I’m also a fan of them also.
Do the WWE titles have history and prestige? Haven’tlegends held these belts and defended them with pride? Do current title holders lose power or focus once they get a championship?
I’m going to give a brief list of names associated withtitles and ask a simple question at the end of each list.
The Divas Championship/Women’s Championship has beenheld legends like the Fabulous Moolauh, Trish Stratus, Lita, Sable, Chyna, MickieJames, Michelle McCool, Luna Vachon, Gail Kim, Natalya, and Beth Phoenix. (Personally I liked this championship betterbefore they became Divas.) Did these ladies lose as often as recent titleholders?
The United States Championship has been held bylegends like Harley Race, Sting, Barry Windam, Steve Austin, Lex Luger, andRicky Steamboat. Did these guys lose matches as frequent as the current titleholders do?
The Intercontinental Championship has been held by legendslike Bret Hart, Curt Henning, Triple H, Shawn Micheals, Rick Rude, ChrisJericho, Edge, Owen Hart, The British Bulldog, Scott “Razor Ramon” Hall, andthe Rock. Once again did these guys lose matches as frequent as the currenttitle holders?
The World Heavyweight Championship (WCW and nowSmackdown Championship) has been held by legends of the likes of Ric Flair,Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Hulk Hogan, Big Van Vader, Booker T, Goldberg, andSting. Like before, did these guys lose much while holding this title?
The World Wrestling Entertainment Championship hasbeen held by Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, John Cena, Brock Lesnar, Triple H, BrunoSamartino, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, The Rock, Andreathe Giant, and CMPunk. How often do they lose? Did they ever lose non-titlematches cleanly?
Now with every championship there are jokes and mishaps withsome. I’m not talking about David Arquette, The Mountie (Gimmick was bad notthe wrestler) and who was the last person to hold the US Belt that actuallyclaims to be from the US. Does the WWE Champion ever get pinned cleanly outsidea PPV?
What I’m saying is that a champion should not lose matchescleanly on a regular basis. Yeah it’sgood for hype and it’s good for some build up. How about having the championpinned in a random tag match? I’d also like to see the occasional squash matchreturn, were a champion takes on someone that is on the bottom of the roster.Does anyone remember when Ric Flair was WWE Champion and he faced Shawn Michaelswhen Shawn was still a Rocker? (Look it up)
Also what happened to build up and limiting encounters withlegitimate challengers? Doesn’t that build anticipation? The occasional teaseof a champion vs champion match instead of frequent ones, having a championbeat another champion tarnishes the credibility and history of thechampionship. On that subject, Night of Champions should be the only time thereis a champion vs champion match, outside of Wrestlemania. Plus go back tohaving the WWE championship and US Championship exclusively on RAW and theWorld Heavyweight Championship and Intercontinental Championship on Smackdown.Have the championships trade shows midyear. Another idea would be to have theUS Championship and the Intercontinental Championships showcased or defendedmore often on the other shows with superstars on the bottom of the roster. Whentitles are defended they become more prestige.
My main point for the singles titles and this also goes forthe World Tag Team Championships is to defend the titles more often. Use moreof the bottom of the roster for some of these defenses. Bring back credibilityto these legendary Championships.

Submit "What is a champion?" to Digg Submit "What is a champion?" to del.icio.us Submit "What is a champion?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What is a champion?" to Google

Tags: championship, wcw, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by weems
    I agree that champions should not be losing matches until it is time to drop the belt. In fact, I agree with the gist of the blog despite the fact that it was impossible to read since you did not proof read it before posting. The site does have a feature that allows you to make edits after posting which I would highly recommend you do to fix all of the typos. "It ishard to readyour blog when youcombine words and don't usethe spacebar."
    I appologize for the errors. I did try to fix them. This is just my first blog on this site, I'll get better as i learn.
    I don't think it matters how often a title change hands. Title reigns become unrealistic when everyone holds lengthy title reigns.

WWe's problem is that their titles mean nothing.

WWe/WHC/IC/US:
    Cena is bigger than these titles. No matter who is champion, they hold a back seat to Cena.

Tag-Team Championship:
    The WWe doesn't have enough teams to make this title meaningful.

Divas:
    Same thing as with the WWe title. Before recently, the most care about Divas(The Funk chicks/AJ/Vickie) care little to nothing about the Divas title. A Divas title match will take a back seat to a match involving AJ,Vickie,and/or The Funk girls.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.