View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review - London 2013

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
It’s been one year since I first wrote this blog, and this time last year I had just returned from my second visit to The O2 in London to see Raw. That night was a decent show considering it was a part of their European tour and WWE often uses their talent sparingly on such occasions, but tonight I literally felt the ground beneath me shaking.

Entrance H, Level 2 was where I was sat (in a place which, at this year’s WrestleMania would have left me watching a pillar all night) with an incredible view of everything which happened, and I think it speaks volumes that I am sat here trying to catch my breath (and my voice – I chanted A LOT!) whilst still pumping with adrenaline. My only real regret is that I somehow lost most of my videos which I recorded on my iPhone – including my once in a lifetime, and literally bone-chilling experience, of The Undertaker’s entrance.

Since this week’s blog comes to you from my live experience, I can honestly say a lot of it is a blur until I watch the show back on Sky. The highlights of the night were the chants, which from where I was sat seemed to at least rival those of New Jersey.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!”

Going into this experience I fondly remembered how London was the place where Daniel Bryan named his Yes! Lock, and I was disappointed at how, in recent months, the fans’ chants of “Yes! Yes! Yes!” had died out.

Not in London.

To say the Yes! Chant is a thing of the past is, to quote one of many chants I started in my section (you’ll have to take my word for it, but I was responsible for the initial “JBL!” chant, an “ECW!” chant, and various others throughout the night), “bull****”. I don’t know, at this point, how it will translate on TV, but literally every fan in my view had their arms raised chanting the signature word which inspired the title of this blog. As well as the “Yessing” and chants of “Undertaker”, the only advertised match for this Raw did more than deliver.

It was, by my account, one of the two matches of the night. I’d go as far as saying that it, as well as the Chris Jericho/Dolph Ziggler match, was good enough for WrestleMania (and probably should have been a part of it).

Obviously my opinion is biased in that I was there and I made the most of my annual live Raw experience, but it was a back-and-forth match which truly engaged the crowd. It also gave us more heading into Extreme Rules.

The Shield (despite being incredibly difficult to spot entering the arena) are still in a winning way, and if what I’ve read (accidentally, I really hate reports from so-called “backstage sources”) about them being the ones to dethrone Team Hell No atop the tag team mountain is true, WWE is handling it very well. Momentum is what any team would need to topple the seven-month reign of Daniel Bryan & Kane. That and Bryan to lose regularly in the build to Extreme Rules and create a rift in Team Hell No.

If a Tag Team Championship match is on the cards, I hope it at least lives up to what we saw tonight. Also, it is REALLY hard to come up with catchy chants for The Shield!

The Chris Jericho/Fandango saga comes to London

Perhaps “saga” is an overstatement when it comes to this rivalry, but tonight it is one of the things which got a huge reaction. With Jericho being considered a legend across the world, and Fandango’s theme song being taken to number 9 in the UK Indie Top 40 a couple of weeks back, a London crowd was never going to consider these two as an upper mid-card affair.

WWE responded accordingly to this, and gave us fans the chance to “Fandango” whenever possible (I can honestly say tonight was the first time I’ve gotten out of my seat to dance during a wrestling event at The O2), and put him into a match with the ultimate London crowd favourite of William Regal.

Jericho’s business for the night involved stealing the show with Dolph Ziggler (a match which featured countless awesome chants and even a Mexican wave, unforgettable) in the match which should have happened at WrestleMania.

It was his appearance later in the night which I want to shed light on, however. Throwing Fandango from the stage and dancing with his dancer for the evening, a current NXT diva whose name escapes me at this moment, was what their rivalry needed. Since this rivalry started, Jericho has been jumped, attacked post-match, and embarrassed by Fandango on the grandest stage.

I want to see these two compete at Extreme Rules in a match which takes things to a new level, and mockery is Jericho’s best weapon in angering a superstar who takes pride in the way people pronounce his name, even if he has trouble setting the standard himself…

Super Cena saves the Ryback

The bar was set incredibly high by New Jersey, and if my lost voice and exhausted-after-two-hours cousin are anything to go by, tonight’s crowd should have been all but dead for the closing segment involving Ryback, John Cena, The Shield, and the legendary Mick Foley (I think the London crowd were collectively honoured to have received a “cheap pop” from the Hardcore Legend, I know I was). But at this point in the night I was running on adrenaline and so was the rest of The O2 by the sound of it.

Despite the enthusiasm I put into booing Ryback (I can’t believe I did either…) and Cena (I’m fairly sure the ratio of Cena fans to Cena haters has shifted to include more haters since last year; that or the Cenation is a very quiet bunch in London), this segment disappointed my when I think about the events that transpired.

I’m all for The Shield attacking whoever they want, whenever they want, but I don’t see what the point in Cena helping Ryback was. Why did he not let Ryback get attacked and then hit him with the AA? Better yet, hit it on the steel chair that he placed on the ground? Don’t get me wrong, no part of this is a complaint. Cena shouldn’t be buried in this feud and neither should Ryback, and neither really are. As far as I can tell, Cena is standing by his “Hustle, Loyalty, Respect” mantra, whilst Ryback is saving his best ever in-ring performance for Extreme Rules.

I look forward to their Extreme Rules confrontation, but I just hope it gets a gimmick match rather than standard Singles rules.

Before I close this blog out, I will apologise for the longer entry tonight. I’m sorry, perhaps we could make like Team Hell No and hug it out?

I want to finish by doing my normal routine of saying what I want from next week’s Raw, but it seems like the wrong thing to do tonight. Instead, I’m going to tell you that no matter where you sit when the Undertaker enters an arena you will literally feel the heat of the fire which accompanies his entrance. I was honestly star struck experiencing what I did in those four minutes, and if I still had the video my silence would support that claim.

If for no other reason, tonight was more than worth it and I’m glad I’ve spent the last year writing this blog and that I have an audience who might appreciate my experience to share that thought with.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I can count on your support next week also.

The question I ask you this week is this; what is the best experience you have personally had at a live WWE event?

As ever, tweet me your views (@SpringerAJ) and use the hashtag #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review - London 2013" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review - London 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review - London 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review - London 2013" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

So wait, the first thing you thought to do for your "once in a lifetime" experience of the taker entrance, was to whip out your iPhone and watch it through a 3inch screen?
    Taker's entrance bar none... literally the place went cold and his prescence was unparallel
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc8143
    So wait, the first thing you thought to do for your "once in a lifetime" experience of the taker entrance, was to whip out your iPhone and watch it through a 3inch screen?
    Oh no, I filmed it whilst I watched it live. I didn't need to be looking at my phone to know I was filming the right thing lol.
    Is Wade Barrett on the SD! tour, or are WWE shafting the IC champion already?
    Plus, When oh when will Zack Ryder do "that heel turn" and finally get some respect?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sneakiness
    Taker's entrance bar none... literally the place went cold and his prescence was unparallel
    Could you believe I went out for curly waffle fries and missed the whole fucking thing.
    Favorite Experience at a live event: Seeing Randy Savage defeat Ric Flair at Wrestlemania 8 to become WWF champion.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.