View RSS Feed

Kashdinero

Hey, VinnieMac, how's about that Cruiserweight Division?

Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Hi there, longtime eWN mainstay, first time blogger here. I'm Kashdinero, and being the bored sort of fella that I was before I started typing this, I thought I'd try something a little different.

After reading a blog on here the other day suggesting that WWE should implement a Cruiserweight Division, I thought I'd throw my two pennies worth into this idea, and, fingers crossed, you'll like what I've laid out.

With today's standard size of wrestler being noticeably smaller than those of yesteryear, I'd put a 205 pound cap on the Cruiserweight Division. I imagine -should this division ever re-materialise- the actual weight limit would be closer to 220, but for me, the lower the weight limit the higher the likelihood that middleweight midcarders would be kept away from the division when creative is struggling for ideas for them. Plus, the lower the weight limit, the bigger the chance some of the smaller guys would get at showing what their worth in the wrestling business truly is.

Either way, promoted correctly, marketed aggressively, and booked favourably, the "little guys" of today's wrestling scene could no doubt earn Mr McVinnieLand BIG money. The smaller 180-200 pound wrestlers having been tearing up the wrestling industry for the past twelve or so years on shows in small venues not run by someone who bears the last name McMahon. On a small time level they have drawn money almost based solely on their wrestling skills, but with the monstrous PR machine that is the WWE behind them -helping them create personas that the masses can relate to- it's not hard to see them generating some serious revenue on a big time level. With the amount of hours of television that the current WWE product produces each week, there is more than enough air time available in which to air the type of slick video packages, that they are famous for, to profile the division, and the individual wrestlers themselves, to help get the whole thing over.

However, treated as the afterthought that it has been in the past, it wouldn't be worth bringing it back at all, as it was put to bed for a reason--no one with any stroke could be arsed with it, especially once ReyReyJr "outgrew" it **insert steroid joke** (I'm playing, ironically, Rey was "smaller" when he was challenging for the World Heavyweight Championship than when he was battling the likes of Matt Hardy (V-One'aahh!!) and Tajiri for the Cruiserweight Championship). To prevent any chance of the current creative team getting burnt out, or overworked, the division should be given its own creative team; one that should be given specific guidelines and paramiters in which to work within so they don't step on other people's toes, or their ideas don't clash with the main creative teams plans. There's many names that I could suggest for this creative team, such as Scott D'Amore, or Court Bauer, but that would be a pointless excersize, so I'll leave that part to the so-called experts. I will say, though, if they were to hire actual TV writers for the job, as per the current trend in the hireing process when it comes to writers, I'd suggest someone who is used to working with colourful characters, such as someone from Nickelodeon or the like. It would take more than just flash wrestling to get this division over (in both the fans and the powers that truly be), so maximum effort would be need to accentuate the characters to make it division comprised of individuals, as opposed to a division that houses a bunch of guys who can wrestle well and perform feats in the ring no mere heavyweight could even dream of.

Whether the division has its own show, or it is an exclusive part of one of the main brands is up for question and debate, but I believe it would be more prudent of the WWE to have it be a part of one of the brands initially, with the idea that if they push it hard enough and it becomes over in its own right, then give it it's own show. To throw these guys onto a show of its own and expect great numbers would be a futile exercise, as no one is going to watch a show featuring wrestlers that they're not familiar with, at least not in huge numbers, anyway. I could go into more depth here, but I feel the basics I've covered are enough to get my point across.

Anyway, you can't have a division without a roster, soooo... Here is my proposed line up for potential Cruiserweight Division, using current WWE Superstars, NXT Superstars, and unsigned talent (as in, everybody not under a TNA contract--RoH contracts have been ignored due to the fact that many of their lower card talent only sign short term deals and could be easily obtained by the WWE). Forgive me if any of the below names are over 205 pounds, this is just off of the top of my head, and I've done no real homework before I started this.

WWE SUPERSTARS.

Sin Cara: The King Of The Botch would be a lot more at home facing guys who actually know the names of his moves, let alone know how to conviningly take/sell them. Against men of a similar stature he also wouldn't seem out of his depths like he has done during the

Tyson Kidd: Needs no explanation--litterally one of the greatest in-ring all rounders that the WWE has on their roster. The man would be at home in a Cruiserweight Division.

Yoshi Tatsu: Anything with this guy involved is gold in my opinion, and is worthy of more than what he's currently getting out of his current lot. Well, creatively speaking, anyway, because, as the biggest Japanese star currently under contract, he MUST be doing financially well, or he'd have surely buggered off back to his homeland already, where his WWE experience would bag him a nice deal with any of Japan's top puroresu companies (NJPW or the newly invigorated AJPW presumably).

Carmacho and Hunico: As a unit, or as singles, with a little character profiling, the odd win here and there, and these two would be far more valuable to the company than they are in their current invisible guys role.

Epico and Primo: no better argument for having them be a major part of this proposed division than the fact that they have a Rosa Mendez--well, at least for the time being anyway.

Justin Gabriel: Rock bottom of the pile personality is outweighed by his A-1 ring skills. Put this man in a position where he doesn't really have to say too much, but has a favourable win/loss record, and watch him become the star we all know he can be. He may be billed above the proposed 205 pound weight limit, but the WWE has been known to mess with weights and heights in the past. I'm sure either way, all would agree he's perfect for this thing.

Evan Bourne: Even if his latest devastating foot injury has slowed him him down a pace or two, the conection he has already made with the WWE Universe would add instant recognition, and therefore, acceptance, to something as daring as a division not centred around hulking giants. Evan would make an ideal candidate for the first guy to hold the championship upon its reincarnation as a public nod towards the hard work he has put in over the past few years under contract as the resident high flyer of the big league.

Rey Mysterio: Used in a similar vien to how guys like Brock, Trips, and Rock currently are, The E's Littlest Big Man could be a huge asset in bringing attention and credibility to the division. Booked sparingly, he could continue to wrestle at a high level for a good couple of years yet in my humble opinion. Hey, it done wonders for a "broken down liability" like Kurt Angle when he initially joined TNA (which is why I have begun to warm up to the idea of Rey actually signing with TNA to tell the truth).

NXT SUPERSTARS

Adrian Neville: To have witnessed PAC execute the sort of shit that he is capable of is to have died and woke up with permanent WrestleWood in WrestleHeaven. What separates him from the rest of his fellow twisting 630 senton practitioners is his hard hitting, catch-as-catch-can grappling ability, and his use of psychology when performing said twisting 630 sentons. I have little faith that he will receive a sustained and prolonged push in VinnieLand after his apparently imminent arrival, though. Why? See fellow Geordie -and UK darling- Cheryl Cole, and her often times hilariously inaudible -to most Americans- attempt at cracking the American market.... 'Wor ked' has a huge uphill battle ahead of him--if I was him, I'd hire a voice coach ASAP!

Sakamoto: This Kaientai Dojo graduate is more than capable of having a good match with anyone on this list. There's also the fact that after the racially discriminative role he was forced into with Lord Tensai, the company morraly OWES it to him to give him something to be proud of. Of course, I don't foresee much of anything being given to him due to the general reluctance to push Japanese wrestlers these days, but, slyly, my fingers are crossed for this guy.

Xavier Woods: How long has this fella been toiling away in developmental?!? Surely it's his diminutive stature that is holding back his ascension to the big time. A Cruiserweight Division would put this guy in the front running for a spot on the main roster.

Sami Zayn: Yup, everyone's fave unmasked Indy veteran would be perfect for a WWE Cruiserweight Division, naturally. The guy has spent the last ten years or so perfecting exaggerated body language, that is tailor made for big crowds, and has a way about him in the ring that will instantly endear him to the majority of the WWE Universe no matter where he is placed upon his debut. Should he debut before this division is kick started (which is obviously very likely), it would only benefit all involved.

UNSIGNED POTENTIALS.

Ricochet: Way more than just a kid who can (sometimes, if he's lucky) hit a double rotation moonsault. This fella has improved his all around game, over the past year or so, to the point that its only a matter of time before The Big E comes'a knocking at his door. If this division is truly something that is being considered/planned for, you can bet that he's already on the companies radar. At his age (23/24 I think), he certainly has many miles left on the clock, and could potentially have a long and lucrative career in WWE. I'd expect a name change for him upon his arrival, but unless it was something ridiculous that wouldn't hurt him in the slightest. Hey, even if he did get saddled with a stupid silly name, his talent would still eventually shine through, I mean, just look at what a guy named Dolph freakin' Ziggler recently accomplished!

Dragon Kid: Word is he was once earmarked for a potential WWE Junior Heavyweight Division (featuring small, under two hundred pounders, such as Mistico) back in 2005, but plans of hiring him were scarpered once they scrapped that idea and went with the poorly concieved, terribly executed, and, ultimately, ill fated Juniors Division, featuring pint sized luchadores such as, the former Max Mini AKA Mascarita Sagrada, Octagoncito, and -the man/legend himself- Super Porky! Eight years later, and -despite continuing to perform at a level that can't be good for the body- the years have been kind to Dragon Kid, and he is still capable of wowing and captivating an audience. Give this guy a shot, and I reckon he'll do better than his trainer/mentor, Ultimo Dragon, did during his time in VinnieLand. I know he's, like, REALLY small compared to other WWE Superstars, but I reckon he's so small it would actually be of benefit to him, as the underdog role has worked for many in the past, and even in a division based on smaller grapplers, he would still be one of if not the smallest guys on the roster. His age may be a deterring factor, but he's still got a few years left in him, and I'd like to see him have a chance at the superstardom his talent demands. I'd prefer for him to keep his name if he were to be signed, and have his connections to Ultimo Dragon acknowledged, with Ultimo even making an appearance or two to truly legitimise one of his most famous students.

Sami Callihan: The complete opposite to basically everyone else on this list. His grounded no nonsense ring style would be a perfect contrast to the flash razzmatazz that I envision this division would be mostly about. In all of the years I've been watching wrestling, I don't think I've witnessed the sheer intensity he generally displays, and, looking at the current product, I'd say that WWE could more than use a little of what Sami brings with him to the dance. Seriously, dude

Edit:Sami is apparently E-Bound, so, yeah, let's hope he's used as opposed to abused, eh?

ACH: Anyone who has seen this guy wrestle and says they're not impressed is fibber. When I first saw him wrestle I was impressed with not only his agility, but the way in which he has his own style about the way he moves, and puts his moves together. When I saw him hit AR Fox with a Super Nintendo perfect Flash Kick, he entered a plateau reserved for very few high flyers in my mind. Far from being content with bringing the same old same old, he innovates with almost every move he makes. I'd like to see the WWE sign him to a long term deal while he is still young, and mould him in their own image. Clearly one to watch at the very least.

The Amazing Red: I've been a huge fan of this guy since about 2001, and although -due to injuries and age- his work rate has dropped over the years, he still remains one of the better highflyers out there. His in-ring charisma and likability is second to none, but his mic skills are abysmal, so, while he wouldn't be "The Rock" of this division, he would certainly become a huge fan favourite. Definitely someone worth The 'E's time looking up should they get serious about this division.

Teddy Hart and Jack Evans: Oooh, a controversial pair if ever there was one. Before the hate starts spewing forth, let me just say that I'm fully aware of both men's limitations and the problems that have been attached to them over the years. All I'm saying is, if given ample opportunity to do their thing, there's not a person on this list that would get over more than they would, as a team, or individually. A pipe dream at best, but Teddy and Jack would be money in Vinnies pocket if they were a part of this thing.

Davey Richards: Pick any of the highflyers on this list, pair them up with Davey, and, viola, instant WrestleWood! This guy is capable of having fantastic Cruiserweight type matches with basically anyone, and he wouldn't ever have to resort to flips and top rope dives, even though he's perfectly capable of doing both. Outside of a Cruiserweight Division I couldn't see him having the sort of illustrious career he's had on the Indies, but surrounded by guys his own size, he would rise to the top in no time. Very few on today's Indy scene work harder than Davey, and I think it would be criminal of he were to never have that opportunity that generally gets offered to men and women with less than half of his ability.

Brandon Silvestri/Kaval: If this guy never got a raw deal in the WWE then I don't know the meaning of the term. Truly wasted in the land of the giants--a division with similar sized competitors would offer a far more even playing field, and one of the most talented wrestlers to ever pace up a pair of boots would actually have a fair chance of succeeding. Should this division materialise, then Brandon should be the first person they open their check books to. Attached to that check should be an extended and heartfelt letter of appology for the way he was treated during his first run with the company, now that was an embarrassingly poor way to treat such a unique and gifted performer. The only problem I could foresee here is that Brandon wouldn't want to subject himself to the often reported lunacy that ClubE has always been know for. Still, should both parties be receptive to a reunion, then I imagine the results would be far more beneficial to all involved a second time around.

Overall: There you have it, my proposed line up for a division that may or may not see the light of day again. Plenty of highflying "spot monkeys" on the list, but, lets face it, that's the sort of wrestling that the majority of us love and expect when we think of a Cruiserweight Division.

Thoughts and feedback would be great, so, like, I hope to hear back from you all soon.

Until then..

Catch you on the forums!

Submit "Hey, VinnieMac, how's about that Cruiserweight Division?" to Digg Submit "Hey, VinnieMac, how's about that Cruiserweight Division?" to del.icio.us Submit "Hey, VinnieMac, how's about that Cruiserweight Division?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Hey, VinnieMac, how's about that Cruiserweight Division?" to Google

Comments

First off, this is a very well thought out blog. Props for taking the time to write this as it is obvious you put a lot of thought and research in. Anyways, I have mixed feelings on a cruiser division. I used to love WCW's cruiser division back in the Attitude era. It was usually the first match of the night and most of the time, the best match of the night. However, the reason why I think it was so good is because it was lucha libre. Lucha libre was new to American wrestling fans. The high flying, fast paced matches were not just entertaining, but a great way to kick off Nitro. I wish Raw would have a match like this every week to kick off their broadcast.
    However, I am skeptical that a cruiser division could work in today's WWE. First, WWE likes to start off Raw with the infamous 20 minute Cena promo. After the promo, all matches are about 3 to 5 minutes with the exception of the main event. There is no way the cruiser division will ever get a 15 minute time slot in the main event. Therefore, how good of a match can 2 cruiserweights really put on in about 4 minutes? Second, there is no denying that Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd are great workers. However, will be they be able to transform their style into a lucha libre style? Dean Malenko, Eddie Guererro, Ultimo Dragon were not Mexican but knew how to wrestle multiple styles including lucha libre. Whether Bourne, Gabriel and Kidd can or cannot, I truly have no idea. However, if not, these matches will just blend in with the rest of the card. Third, the WWE has a style that they prefer their new wrestlers use. I cannot imagine that Seth Rollins will be using all of the wild moves that he used in ROH during his Tyler Black days. As a result, I just cannot see WWE allowing the wrestlers in the cruiser division to execute the exciting moves and spots that we only see on the independent circuit nowadays. Lastly, times have changed and WWE is all about promos and story lines. All of the guys you listed on the current WWE roster in this blog are awful on the mic. Until they can become better talkers or get managers, I just don't see them getting over (or even given a chance).
    Anyways, I cannot see the cruiser division working until the WWE network actually goes live and they get their own show. Just my two cents. Great blog!
    Camacho is actually a heavyweight, so he wouldn't be able to compete in this division. But I can see him as a body guard for Hunico, and he can still work tag matches with the guy.

I actually wouldn't lower the weight limit. You say that keeping the weight limit at 220 would enable WWE to send their uppercard guys to the cruiserweight division when they have nothing better to do. But honestly there would honestly be nothing wrong with that. I actually would have some of those guys pursuing a Cruiserweight Title in order to legitimize the Division. Intentionally segregating the higher ranking small guys from the division, only further enforces the idea that the cruiserweight division is "lesser". Put the belt on someone like Miz, Ziggler, Cody, or Christian, and the guy who beats him for the belt will get a huge rub. Plus mixing the smaller sized heavy-hitters with the cruiserweights allows them to prove themselves. For the cruiserweight guys who DO have potential to be more, a run with the Cruiserweight title can be their test run to prove that they can eventually be bigger stars

I would have some of the bigger names working with the division at times.

Cody Rhodes - Since he already had the storyline of claiming to bring prestige back to the Intercontinental Title, he can do the same with the Cruiserweight belt. Since he doesn't look to be in World Title contention any time soon, it could be a good place to continue building him up until a spot opens.

Kofi Kingston - The WWE seems to love slapping the midcard belts onto this guy anyway. And it seems as though Kofi has hit his ceiling already. But, all hope is not lost. Kofi is over, and he can fill the role that you say Rey can fill (only without being injury prone), the guy that "makes people care".

Christian - Christian can serve as the bridge between the Cruiserweight and heavyweight division. He can easily work matches with both heavyweights and cruiserweights.

Zack Ryder - while he isn't a high flyer like most of the others, and he's quite tall and muscular, he is under the original weight limit of 220. He's serviceable in the ring, and has some athletic ability. He doesn't seem to be upper midcard material, but in the cruiserweight division, he can at least be a warm body for multiman matches and filler title defenses.

The Miz - Miz is higher up the ranks, but he doesn't seem to be in line for a World Title shot any time soon. While the Miz is a bit beefier, and doesn't wrestle with that same style that the others do, he still could fit. Whether he's WWE Champion, IC Champion, or a total jobber, Miz carries himself like a top star and makes whatever he's doing feel important, a good asset to have in the cruiserweight division, and in the midcard in general.

Dolph Ziggler - Ziggler appears to be going places, since he's the current World Heavyweight Champion. He doesn't have to actively pursue the belt, but he can wrestle a handful of cruiserweight guys in competitive, fast paced, matches, and put them over, even by beating them.

Daniel Bryan - He's also a top guy. But he's also 1/2 of the tag team champions, so stepping down to a midcard belt after holding a World Title isn't new to him. Bryan could be that guy who moves to any spot on the card whenever they need him to, and use his notoriety to make whatever he's doing look important.
    Updated 04-22-2013 at 11:30 PM by TempestH
    Very good blog. I'm just of the opinion that there's nothing a Cruiserweight division can do. WWE already doesn't put thought or effort into their other titles like IC or US. And back when WCW did the Cruiserweight Division...it was just the match. No storylines, no real feuds. It was great back then. But I wouldn't want it to return. WWE wouldn't handle it right. They'd put effort into it for a few months and then it would disappear. The cruiserweights would end up becoming jobbers for the mid-carders and it would hold no more merit. I love the small guys and high paced stuff, I just don't trust WWE's ability or interest in handling it.
    Forget that, I'd rather it RIP than be brought back. Be cool for a couple months or so. Than it will end up garbage like last time.
    Cool blog. One thing though: it always amazed me how few reaction Sin Cara got/gets, even in the beginning. People will be quick to point at the botching, but I'm not sure it isn't more than that: even during his good matches and beautiful spots (he had quite a few of those too) they're yawning or looking away.

To put it in meme talk: not sure if public wants cruiserweights, or just IWC.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.