View RSS Feed

WilloTron

Why the Tag Team Division is Getting There.

Rate this Entry
Another week in the WWE and another blog. I was feeling nostalgic this week and dug out a load of my old WWE videos to feed my hunger for some WWE nostalgia. Not dvd's or blue-ray, videos. As Roddy Piper says, "old schools cool".

So i dug them out and decided to watch Judgement Day from 2001. Don't get me wrong there was a plethora of classic matches on the ppv and it was great looking back. But one match got me thinking, and the match i'm referring to was the 'tag team turmoil match to determine the #1 contenders for the tag team titles'. It was an entertaining tag team contest that consisted of teams including; APA, Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn, The Dudleys, X-Pac & Justin Credible, The Hardy Boyz, Edge & Christian and Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit. So besides from the mini nostalgia fest i believe this concept of tag team turmoil could be used in the here and now as for the first time in a long period the WWE has a good group of tag teams. Obviously the current crop of tag teams don't measure to some of the names mentioned above however this idea of tag team turmoil could be a legit way of finding an official #1 contender for the tag team gold.

Team Hell No have been brilliant in rejuvenating the WWE's tag team division. Since they won the gold back at Night Of Champions last year i believe that they have provided stability and a renewed sense of prestige to a tag team division that has been lacking in recent years. The fact that Kane and Daniel Bryan are 2 of WWE's top names has also helped. The fact that 2 of the company's top names hold the tag belts is a sound way of re-building the division and it kind of harks back to over a decade ago when you had top names such as HHH & Austin as tag team champs as well as the Brothers of Destruction. Therefore having 2 top main event names as tag team champions adds weight to the division and clearly gives it that legitimacy. Three things make a good tag division. Top names, solid teams and good quality/exciting tag team matches. But whilst Team Hell No have been champs, there have been a good selection of tag teams building up around them. The thing that i believe has given that added credibility to the division is the fact that the other teams have a sense of identity and no longer look as though it's just 2 guys put together at last minute for a tag match. The Prime Time Players, Tons of Funk, 3MB, Rhodes Scholars are all teams that consist of singles wrestlers who have been manufactured into teams however rather than looking like 2 separate competitors, they have been given a sense of identity as a team that fans can relate to and acknowledge as a proper team. Also The Shield look as though they'll challenge Hell No at Extreme Rules, The Shield also being a team with clear identity as a solid tag team/group.

Therefore aside from the fact that it looks as though The Shield will challenge Team Hell No i believe it would add a great deal of excitement should we see all of the WWE's current teams compete in a tag-team style elimination turmoil contest in order to determine a #1 contender. The WWE now has great depth in it's tag team division similar to back in 2000/2001 when you had the likes of; The Dudleys, E&C, The Hardyz, APA, New Age Outlaws and even Kaientai and Right To Censor added depth to the division too. So this renewed depth is brilliant and has given new life to WWE's tag team division that was seriously plagued with terrible teams and teams with no identity or purpose up until recently. I don't believe we will ever see legendary tag bouts like the one's we were treated to around the time of the millennium however it can be said that the WWE's tag team division is getting there, getting to a point of credibility and quality.

Thankyou to whoever reads and lets look forward to another week in the world of wrestling.

Submit "Why the Tag Team Division is Getting There." to Digg Submit "Why the Tag Team Division is Getting There." to del.icio.us Submit "Why the Tag Team Division is Getting There." to StumbleUpon Submit "Why the Tag Team Division is Getting There." to Google

Updated 04-22-2013 at 12:34 AM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

I think everyone would like to see a turmoil match, as well as the bolstering of that whole division. My worry though, is the competition level. Is there any team right now that can believably beat Team Hell No except for the Rhode Scholars? Most of the teams right now are jobber teams. My opinion would be to have the Shield cost THN the titles on next week's raw (yeah I know that's like the 4th TV title change since WM) to either PTP or the Scholars. Then have PTP and the Scholars feud for a month over the titles while THN feuds with the Shield.

It feels like the tag titles might even downgrade the Shield right now. They're hot, we're talkin main event quality hot, and the titles seem worthless at the time being
    Updated 04-22-2013 at 03:03 AM by Kajmere
    Team Hell No haven't really helped the division.

While having two top names carry the belts may look good on paper, the problem is that they've pretty much steamrolled the entire division. Instead of putting guys over by defending the tag titles in competitive matches, they squash all the other teams and make them look like jobbers. The only teams that were booked to be a threat to them were Rhodes Scholars, because they're also two singles guys thrown together, and Big E Langston and Dolph Ziggler, only because they needed an excuse to get Ziggler on the WM29 card.

Also, because Team Hell No are top names, they are constantly sucked into high profile multiman feuds without any regard that they are the tag team champions, simply because there are two spots that need to be filled, and god forbid they actually elevate anyone new to fill those spots. And thus Kane and Daniel Bryan are randomly thrown into the Elimination Chamber or a Survivor Series team, or into a feud with The Shield. The tag title scene remains neglected because Kane and Bryan always seem to "have more important things to do".
    I love Team Hell No. I hope they remain teaming after they drop the belts, whether that is at Extreme Rules or months from now. The Prime Time Players, Rhodes Scholars and Shield are credible teams which gives the WWE 4 legit tag-teams. The Colognes and Uso's are great as jobber teams and perhaps one day will be taken seriously. I believe that WWE really only needs 2 more high profile teams to revive the division. While the current tag-team division is nothing to brag about, it is better than when the Nexus was around and the only tag-teams were Otunga/McGillicutty & Kane/Big Show.
    Quote Originally Posted by TempestH
    Team Hell No haven't really helped the division.

While having two top names carry the belts may look good on paper, the problem is that they've pretty much steamrolled the entire division. Instead of putting guys over by defending the tag titles in competitive matches, they squash all the other teams and make them look like jobbers. The only teams that were booked to be a threat to them were Rhodes Scholars, because they're also two singles guys thrown together, and Big E Langston and Dolph Ziggler, only because they needed an excuse to get Ziggler on the WM29 card.

Also, because Team Hell No are top names, they are constantly sucked into high profile multiman feuds without any regard that they are the tag team champions, simply because there are two spots that need to be filled, and god forbid they actually elevate anyone new to fill those spots. And thus Kane and Daniel Bryan are randomly thrown into the Elimination Chamber or a Survivor Series team, or into a feud with The Shield. The tag title scene remains neglected because Kane and Bryan always seem to "have more important things to do".
    they put over The Shield... so its not like they have squashed every team
    2001 is old school?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurtts101
    2001 is old school?!?
    Unfortunately...yes. That is so sad.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.