View RSS Feed

CM Sizi

The NBF: Post Mania Thoughts

Rate this Entry
Prior to Mania, I wrote a piece about what Mania meant to me. I got a great response and was even asked by site member PhEonYx to write a post mania piece so here it is.

In my line of work, I don’t get a lot of praise. Like most of us, I keep my head down and work hard. I have done this all my life and have never asked for a reward. But this year, I was rewarded with the greatest gift a wrestling fan could ever receive. I was given two free tickets to WrestleMania. I had never been to the Show of Shows and I was not going to pass it up. I was given the tickets on April 3rd and by the 4th had plane tickets and a place to stay. So if you go back to read my last blog, I can tell you that my love for Mania has intensified 1000 times over.

As I walked into Met Life Stadium and saw the set for the first time, I am man enough to admit, I began to feel the tears well up in my eyes. I felt like Rudy’s father walking into Notre Dame Stadium for the first time and saying, “This is the greatest sight these eyes have ever seen.”

As for the show, I am in the minority that will tell you that I loved it. Creative didn’t hit us with the wild, outlandish twists and turns that everyone was expecting, but to me, that isn’t what WrestleMania is about. They gave us what I expected and that was showcasing the big names on the big stage.

Could the show have been better? Probably. Would it have been better to have Ziggler cash in at Mania instead of Raw? Sure, but I think they put it off until the next night because Swagger and Del Rio put in all of the hard work of building to that match.

I thought the last three matches were amazing. We all knew that Punk vs Taker would steal the show because those two guys bring their A game every night. The electricity in the stadium for that match was awesome. The chants of CM Punk and Undertaker going back and forth got my section going, although I can’t speak for everyone else in the crowd. Everyone rooting for Punk, including myself, knew he had little to no chance of winning, but we rooted like hell any way. Both guys left it all out there for us and they deserved more recognition for the match they put on.

I have never been a big fan of HHH. I have always believed that he was the most overrated wrestler in history because he never had that marquee match. I believe he has done that with his last 4 matches (2 vs Taker, 2 vs Brock). The last match he was in that I would call great, we aren’t allowed to speak of anymore because it involved Benoit. The HHH/Lesnar match at Mania was one of the most physical matches I have seen in a while. And knowing now that Lesnar wrestled the majority of that match with a concussion makes it even more amazing. If you don’t care for Lesnar, you still have to admit that he is a beast.

To me, the main event lived up to the hype. I felt that the crowd in New York wasn’t into it because they didn’t care about either guy in the match. It was condemned from the start because the crowd knew how it would end, but that didn’t stop both of those guys from trying like hell to get them into it. I loved the last 15 minutes of that match. Between hitting each other’s moves, countering each other’s moves, and the flurries involved with both, I couldn’t look away from what I was watching. I was captivated.

As the Rock stood waiting to hit the Rock Bottom to start the final flurry, I looked at the 10 year old kid sitting next to me. He was on the edge of his seat hoping that John Cena was going to pull it off. His dad was rocking a “Just Bring It” shirt, so it was a house divided. I tapped the young man on the shoulder and said, “It’s time to take it home. Cena is about to win it right here.”

He gave me a look as if to say, “Yeah right.”

As he and I both counted the 1,2,3, he threw his hands in the air and was grinning from ear to ear. He asked me how I knew it was going to end and I told him, “Just keep watching, you will learn.”

I did exactly what I encouraged everyone to do in my last blog. I turned off my brain and enjoyed the spectacle that is WrestleMania. I was just a fan. I didn’t worry about if I liked what creative did or where the storyline would take us next. I sat back and watched as the guy that gives everything for this business got the win that he truly deserved. I am sure that comment will get me a ton of hater comments, but I say that because unlike his opponent in the match, I know that John Cena will be there every night, not just when his schedule will allow. To be honest, I didn’t have a horse in that race until I caught the Rock on Leno a few weeks back and he didn’t bring the title out on the set. I lost some respect for him after that.

All in all, the show that rarely disappoints didn’t disappoint me. I had an experience of a life time at a show that I will never forget. We are 360 days from WrestleMania 30 and I can’t wait.

Submit "The NBF: Post Mania Thoughts" to Digg Submit "The NBF: Post Mania Thoughts" to del.icio.us Submit "The NBF: Post Mania Thoughts" to StumbleUpon Submit "The NBF: Post Mania Thoughts" to Google

Updated 04-12-2013 at 09:24 AM by CM Sizi

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

he was the most overrated wrestler in history because he never had that marquee match.

Curious about this statement. Did you not see the many battles with The Rock, John Cena and HBK? I gotta say those three are much more marquee than Brock Lesnar.
    "I turned off my brain and enjoyed the spectacle that is WrestleMania " Allot of fans seem to find that hard these days. There was a thread on this forum that talked about good reason for Cena to be champion and all of them (but one) were about the business side of things. The only people who should care about that are Vince and the people that work for WWE.
    This might make people angry but I don't even think the Punk-Taker was as good as people say it was. And if you watch it again you may agree. Same patron as other matches. Taker hits his finishers, Punk kicks out and otherwise. This was the MOST PREDICTABLE match on the card and even though the IWC hates predictable endings they go praise a match that since it was announced everybody knew who was going to win. There were A LOT of botches. The best for me was when the table didn't break when Punk did the elbow. I thought the Cena-Rock match was better, although it was clear who was going to win, it was entertaining.
    So if you don't disagree, go watch it again and you will see BUT, don't be a little bitch and don't follow what the IWC go with you own instinct. IWC is crap anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    he was the most overrated wrestler in history because he never had that marquee match.

Curious about this statement. Did you not see the many battles with The Rock, John Cena and HBK? I gotta say those three are much more marquee than Brock Lesnar.
    You see marquee as against big names. I see marquee as Savage/Steamboat, Hogan/Andre, HBK/Stone Cold. Matches that will always be remembered for how great the match was in addition to the big names. HHH vs Cena at WM 22 was a horrible match made worse by the entrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDominate99
    This might make people angry but I don't even think the Punk-Taker was as good as people say it was. And if you watch it again you may agree. Same patron as other matches. Taker hits his finishers, Punk kicks out and otherwise. This was the MOST PREDICTABLE match on the card and even though the IWC hates predictable endings they go praise a match that since it was announced everybody knew who was going to win. There were A LOT of botches. The best for me was when the table didn't break when Punk did the elbow. I thought the Cena-Rock match was better, although it was clear who was going to win, it was entertaining.
    So if you don't disagree, go watch it again and you will see BUT, don't be a little bitch and don't follow what the IWC go with you own instinct. IWC is crap anyway

True that it wasn't a truly great match, but it was the best match of the night. It had one or two things that I thought made it better than Rock/Cena even tho, as I stated early that I loved that match. First of which was the crowd. The crowd was way into the Punk/Taker match and didn't really seem into the main event as I stated earlier. The other thing that I thought set it apart was the ebb and flow of the match. I thought there was too much standing around and posturing during the main event. It was expected because the Rock really isn't in ring shape like all the rest of the guys are. Punk/Taker had everything. A big spot going toward the Spanish announce table, in sync counters and spots that caught the fans off balance. Yes it was predictable, but all of the Taker's matches are predictable. They need to fit in certain things that the fans came to see. The more Punk kicked out, the more the fans got into it. Thats what made it great to me.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.