View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR) - WrestleMania XXIX

Rate this Entry

I’m sure that by the time you see this WrestleMania-themed #YYYTRR blog entry most of you will have seen the show or at least its results, but in the event that you have yet to see either, spoiler alert!

Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, I’d like to thank WWE for giving us two great main event matches and a few surprises tonight. But if there was an award for killing a previously buzzing crowd in one fell swoop, WWE deserve it.

I was going to tackle this match-by-match, but other than a few impressive feats (Ryback landing the Shell Shocked on Mark Henry, and Fandango’s reversal of the Triangle Dropkick; my personal highlight of the first two hours was 80,000 fans taking part in a Yes! chant, however) there wasn’t too much to talk about.

Instead, I’m going to start with the World Heavyweight Championship…

World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio def. Jack Swagger w/Zeb Coulter

I openly admitted that I was a fan of neither superstar when this match was announced, but over the six weeks they had to build it I grew interested for one reason; the prospect of a great technical showcase. I knew not to expect anything up there with Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels, but I think it could have been a great match nonetheless.

I was not left too disappointed with the match itself (although it could and should have gone a little longer), but there was a lack of one thing; a Dolph Ziggler cash-in.

I honestly think Dolph has one chance left to cash that briefcase in before people just stop caring about it, and it happens to be tomorrow night on Raw. Any time after that and I will be convinced that WWE has no plans to give Ziggler a true push toward the main event.

The Undertaker def. CM Punk

This was, without a doubt, the match of the night and a potential Match of the Year candidate. It’s as simple as that.

It was always going to steal the show, and it was confirmed once Chris Jericho vs. Fandango went on early and ended just as quickly. It wasn’t quite the story-teller that Undertaker has been in for the past few years with DX-‘s founding members, but it had pretty much everything I could have wanted… apart from a CM Punk victory.

I’m not going to rant about how Punk deserved to win, but I will say that if anybody was ever going to end the streak it would have been Punk. Other than being in the closing WrestleMania main event, he has done everything he could want to in his current run. Ending the Streak would have been a great way to send Undertaker out respectably and cement the legacy of the “Best in the World” at the same time.

I just hope that if Undertaker decides he wants to go 22-0, he decides to give Punk a rematch.

No Holds Barred with Triple H’s career on the line; Triple H w/Shawn Michaels def. Brock Lesnar

This was a very close second to Undertaker vs. Punk in terms of match of the night, and it delivered what it was supposed to; high levels of violence and a battle of strength.

From the moment you saw how much work Brock had put into looking at his best for this match you knew it was going to be good, and it ended up keeping me on the edge of my seat based solely on the amount of punishment Triple H took from Lesnar.

I would have preferred a Lesnar victory, and I’m glad this rivalry is done with. If Lesnar is to stick around, though, I’d like to see him have a run as a monster WWE Champion (so long as he wants to do a full-time schedule).

John Cena def. WWE Champion The Rock

Okay, so you could probably sense that this was where I was headed with this entry.

After all of the success in pumping the incredibly loud crowd tonight, somehow the match that was dubbed the “main event” completely silenced them for the most part. It isn’t the first time a WrestleMania main event has received a suspiciously quiet reaction (just look at WrestleMania X-8, Rock and Hogan drained that crowd), but tonight it was clearly nothing to do with being burnt out.

You could hear 80,000-plus booing Cena to the ring as his music hit, the cheers as the familiar intro of “If ya smell… what The Rock… is cookin’!” hit the huge audience,… and that was about it for twenty-odd minutes.

The crowd was dying once The Rock started his walk towards the ring.

This was simply a case of the WWE Universe telling WWE’s creative team exactly what they have thought for months; we did not want to see this rematch, and a New York crowd was never going to respond positively to an overhyped rematch which was dubbed as “once in a lifetime” just one year prior.

There were two good things to come from the match itself – the false finish of The Rock taunting Cena with his own “You Can’t See Me” shtick, and Cena looking to repeat his mistake of last year only to fool the entire WWE Universe – but overall it was incredibly lacking.

The match seemed to lack anything between the opening bravado and the ridiculous number of finishing moves the two superstars attempted. There was no story here other than almost a carbon copy of last year’s match, at a much slower pace. It is a real shame that it didn’t deliver, since I finally found a reason to be interested with the panel on Raw two weeks ago. Unfortunately it dampened an otherwise decent WrestleMania.

For all of the above reasons this match was one of the worst WrestleMania main events I have ever seen, but it was ultimately let down by WWE’s rush to get them back in the ring so soon (Rock and Austin had a two-year gap between matches for good reason) and in front of a crowd known for letting the superstars know exactly how they feel.

Before I close this entry, I just want to clarify that I did enjoy most of WrestleMania XXIX. Pretty much every match was good-great (with the obvious exception), and a few good moments came out of even the most underbuilt matches.

I wouldn’t say this is the worst WrestleMania I’ve seen; in fact it wasn’t as bad as it would seem I have deemed it. Last year was better, but this was infinitely better than WrestleMania XXVII.

I hope you enjoyed my return to #YYYTRR, thanks for taking the time to read it.

Follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and tweet your views using #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR) - WrestleMania XXIX" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR) - WrestleMania XXIX" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR) - WrestleMania XXIX" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR) - WrestleMania XXIX" to Google

Tags: wrestlemania, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I wanna start by saying 2 things. 1 I am and always will be a wwe fan. 2 I loved the fact that wrestlemania was mainly about the wrestling, no silly backstage crap, although the constant recaps are really annoying.

that said, last night represented the wwe sticking 2 fingers up 2 the fans. The crowd were terrible for whatever reason and that did not help, but wrestle mania should give us a major talking point and that simply did not happen. The only slight surprise for me was Henry winning. What really did it though, was the fact that cena and the rock looked like they had been forced 2 give us that pile of shit embrace at the end, they knew exactly what we were all thinking. The worst ppv I have seen in a long time. Thank god we only pay £18 in the uk!

however, the raw after mania usually delivers and I hope that continues 2 be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by smellmycooking
    I wanna start by saying 2 things. 1 I am and always will be a wwe fan. 2 I loved the fact that wrestlemania was mainly about the wrestling, no silly backstage crap, although the constant recaps are really annoying.

that said, last night represented the wwe sticking 2 fingers up 2 the fans. The crowd were terrible for whatever reason and that did not help, but wrestle mania should give us a major talking point and that simply did not happen. The only slight surprise for me was Henry winning. What really did it though, was the fact that cena and the rock looked like they had been forced 2 give us that pile of shit embrace at the end, they knew exactly what we were all thinking. The worst ppv I have seen in a long time. Thank god we only pay £18 in the uk!

however, the raw after mania usually delivers and I hope that continues 2 be the case.
    I'm in the same club as you; I'm a loyal WWE fan and as much as I trash certain events I will always watch it and pay for WrestleMania. You're right about the lack of a 'moment' too. If it hadn't have been for Punk vs. Undertaker last night would have left me fuming.
    After the Paul Bearer Storyline and how Punk dealt with it they cant possibly give Punk a rematch. Punk has shot all his Powder. Nothing he could ever do would be worse than what he did already to Taker, and he got defeated for it.
    So no, there will be no rematch, and to be quite hones, the match wasnt anywhere as good as Takers last 4 Matches. Those 2 guys just dont click in the ring, as well as outside of it. It is no big secret that Taker isnt the biggest Punk Fan, and Punk making sure to let everyone know whenever possible that Taker 'Wasnt his dream opponent' surely wouldnt make a rematch believable either. Punk had his go at the streak, he didnt end it, end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten Langenfeld
    After the Paul Bearer Storyline and how Punk dealt with it they cant possibly give Punk a rematch. Punk has shot all his Powder. Nothing he could ever do would be worse than what he did already to Taker, and he got defeated for it.
    So no, there will be no rematch, and to be quite hones, the match wasnt anywhere as good as Takers last 4 Matches. Those 2 guys just dont click in the ring, as well as outside of it. It is no big secret that Taker isnt the biggest Punk Fan, and Punk making sure to let everyone know whenever possible that Taker 'Wasnt his dream opponent' surely wouldnt make a rematch believable either. Punk had his go at the streak, he didnt end it, end of story.
    Well Put....AMEN!
    There will be no rematch but it still was the match of the night and probably going to be mentioned as a Match of the Year candidate. Moreover, it just goes to show that Punk is Best in the World as he had another hell of a match and that match was better than any other match on the card, including the Cena Rock II which did the same as last year and sucked. Punk and Taker stole the show and proved again why nobody in the WWE right now is as good as Punk!!!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.