View RSS Feed

Chalon

Cena's Character Progression

Rate this Entry
All this never-ending arguments between Cena fans vs haters... I just want to say this, because I'm tired of the stupid little jabs, and I wanna see what people say... In my case, is not about hating Cena the person, or the performer necessarily, but freshening things up is important in this business, and performers know well that they need to be careful and not become stale.

Now you have WWEs biggest star, who is a good performer (with his flaws of course), and his persona of an honorable good guy that loves his fans and fights for them.. I can see how people can get behind that and become die hard fans.

But being the face of the company means ALL fans have to watch Cena a whole lot, and you cannot just play to a specific part of the WWE fans when you are THE face. The way Cena's character is the goody good Super Hero, very specific that not everybody will like, of course if he doesn't change much in many years other fans are going to get tired of him.

And to me Cena fans are in their right to defend him, he is still a good guy irl as well... but they become blind in their fandom and fail to understand how this business works and what character progression means. Cena progressed until he got to the top and stayed the same, and no changing shirt colors every few months is not the same. I wanna like watching him, right now I don't enjoy him much, very rarely... it doesn't necessarily have to be a full on heel turn, but give the rest of the fans something new and fresh, I'm all for a heel turn but any real good progression will do. And maybe a couple of new moves, he has only added the top rope leg drop the past 5 years.

The ultimate prove to this point I'm making will be the crowd this Sunday at Metlife stadium. This is not just New Yorkers, for Wrestlemania all long time and new fans come from all over come, and will be a real barometer.

Submit "Cena's Character Progression" to Digg Submit "Cena's Character Progression" to del.icio.us Submit "Cena's Character Progression" to StumbleUpon Submit "Cena's Character Progression" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I totally agree he progressed till he got to the top , he should carry around a box of crackers he's that cheesy now ... I prefer the thugonomics gimmick it gave him abit of attiitude and when he destroyed the rock during last years build up to mania I thought it was back but it was for 1 week only lol ... He can perform and do lots of diffrent moves but he's to lazy , creative are to lazy fuck the whole wwe has got lazy recently ! The more wishes he makes the less chance of anysort of heel turn / character progresion
    Agreed, he doesn't need a heel turn (although I would enjoy that) he does need to make some changes, even just being a more serious face rather than everything is a joke face. Every time someone insults him in a promo he laughs it off and no matter how much of a nice guy someone is, in reality that would get to you. Which to me is whats wrong, he is too much of a smiley nicey nice face that there is no realism to it somehow.

Although I don't believe his limited moveset is down to him, I personally think he has been told to take no risks in ring as Vince is so paranoid about losing his cash cow for even a short while that he's been told to take no risks (apart from the piledriver against punk I cant remember the last time he took a "risky" move since his feud with edge?)
    I like Cena in the sense that I like what he stands for. WWE wanted to make a new Hulk Hogan and they did. The problem is that as you say, we all know what he is going to do next. My wife and I change the channel when he starts talking because it's the same thing over and over. He would benefit from a heel turn ala Hogan because one thing that he and the WWE needs to realize is that his young fans start growing up and start wanting other characters. I heard he has a lot of pull but maybe he is not pulling for a heel turn because of the $ he will be losing.
    Fact why I like Cena, HE WORKS HIS ASS OFF FOR US, love him or hate him. Still Freshness is needed to bring likability back to his character, I agree
    i cant stand cena or the majority of his matches as they bore the living shit out of me. He is stale as you get, he was only interesting when he did the raps and stuff but even that got old. His promos bore me, he cant seem to grasp when there is need for comedy and when it needs more serious tones, look at the rock, he cracks me up ever time I watch him but when it comes to the more serious promos he knows how to build for a match and make u want to see it.
    Wait your saying there was character progression with cena after he dropped the rapper gimmick 8 years ago? When the piss did that happen i mean with the exception of him changing shirt colors?

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.