View RSS Feed

SoFloJoey

My WrestleMania Preview (Match by match)

Rate this Entry
My thoughts on each match going in to WrestleMania

Well, we're 4 days a away from the spectacle that is WrestleMania! The event that constantly reminds us that our favorite "scripted" sport is still very much alive and well! It's time to breakdown this years show of shows, match by match!

--Pre-Show- INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Wade Barrett (c) vs. The Miz
** This should be an an adequate pre-show to get everyone in the mood for the big show! The build hasn't been great and after the countless losses Barrett has taken, the IC title means almost nothing at this point. Nonetheless, the match should be a decent warm-up match to get the crowd going, which is the whole objective of a pre-show.

--8-Man Mixed Tag Team Match
Tons of Funk & The Funkadactyls vs. Rhodes Scholars & The Bella Twins
** This is basically the only match on the card that I have absolutely no interest in, and will likely be everyone's bathroom break/beer run. How this made it on to the card? I have no idea. Expect this to fall victim to time restraints, and I'm perfectly okay with that. This match wouldn't make it on an edition of Monday Night Raw most nights, there's no reason why it needs to be on WrestleMania, ESPECIALLY when you have the United States Champion sitting ducks in the locker room. What a shame. The crowd will be dead.

--Chris Jericho vs. Fandango
** I've been defending this match-up, and Fandango himself like crazy ever since it was made official. A lot of people dismiss the Fandango gimmick as silly and would have preferred Jericho in a more high profiled match. Let's face it, at this point, Jericho doesn't need the spotlight anymore, he's not a nostalgia act. He's done all he can do, and now he's all about putting over the younger generation. The smart wrestling fan will see the bigger picture here. First off, Fandango is an EXCELLENT wrestler, and Jericho...well he's Jericho!. This match should run close to 10 minutes, with a lot of fast paced action. This match can definitely make or break Fandango. Yes, the gimmick is a little out there, but as i've said on the page before, If he really begins to impress, the gimmick will be toned down a bit to make him more serious. Watch out for this match!

--WWE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
Team HellNo (c) vs. Big E Langston & Dolph Ziggler w/ AJ Lee
** This match should be pretty entertaining. First off, we see the in-ring debut of Big E Langston. Then, you have AJ as the wild card. Throw in some great wrestling between Ziggler and Bryan, a power struggle between Kane and Langston, and you have a championship match worthy of a WrestleMania spot. I thought this was a good move by the WWE.

--Ryback vs. Mark Henry
** Now, this can either be really great, or really bad. Sometimes, what looks good on paper may not translate well in person (see Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar). This match is likely built around one spot: Ryback hitting the ShellShock on Mark Henry. If the move is pulled off, then this is a WrestleMania classic. If it's botched, you have to believe Ryback's push is over. When you think about it, there's a hell of a lot riding on this match. I'm looking foward to seeing how this one plays out.

--6-Man Tag Team Match
Sheamus, Big Show, & Randy Orton vs. The Shield
** This is super team #3 I believe to take on The Shield. This match has peaked everyone's interest due to the fact that Orton's rumored heel turn may take place during this match. Nonetheless, it should be an entertaining match. The Shield has been golden in all of their bouts thus far, and Sheamus, Orton, and Show can all deliver on the grandest stage of them all. This match could get out of hand fast, and it'll be awesome.

--WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Alberto Del Rio (c) w/ Ricardo Rodriguez vs. Jack Swagger w/ Zeb Coulter
** This match could be a wild card candidate for match of the night, if given enough time. There's no denying that Del Rio and Swagger have to be in your top 5 when you talk about the best performers in the WWE right now. The storyline had a lot of potential, but the political correctness of network television didn't really allow for the WWE to push the envelope with this angle as much as they likely would have. Regardless, it should be a solid bout, with Rodriguez and Coulter as wild cards at ring side.

--CM Punk vs. The Undertaker
** Like pretty much every match on the card, this is one that can either be a WrestleMania classic, or fall flat. We've come to have tremendously high expectations for Undertaker WrestleMania matches the last 4 or 5 years. The matches usually run around a half hour and are packed with drama, close calls, and high impact spots. That may not be the case this year, with the cold weather surely to be a factor, and Undertaker still hurting from nagging injuries. Now, this is CM Punk and Undertaker we're talking about, so this can still be salvaged and maybe even turn into the classic we all hope it will be. Predictability sorta hurts this match, but it could still have some great potential.

--No Holds Barred Match
Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar
** This one can either be a classic or .... See a trend here? Lol. Majority ruling on their SummerSlam match back in August was that it was just aweful, and I couldn't agree more with that. Both men looked out of it, tired, and the match just seemed generally lazy. This Sunday could be a different story. Not only does the No Holds Barred stipulation make things 10x more interesting, but the feud itself seems more intense and personal than ever. In a nut shell, expect pure brutality out of this one, and you all know how the WWE occasionally suspends their PG content for matches like this. Throw in Shawn Michaels and Paul Heyman as wild cards, this match could surpass expectations, big time!

-- WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
The Rock (c) vs. John Cena
** This match has come under fire pretty heavily since it was made official. What was arguably the most anticipated bout in WWE history last year has in essence become the match that nobody really cares to see this year, and with some good reason. Many condemn this match as being predictable, being that The Rock beat Cena last year, and it wouldn't make much sense for Rock to beat Cena again and keep the title he's never around to defend anyways. That coupled in with the fact that this feud isn't half as hot as last years year long build, and people are not happy with the main event. However, let's look on the bright side here. This SHOULD be a solid contest, maybe even outdoing last year. Not only that, but The Rock is signed on for Extreme Rules in May, so that adds SOME degree of unpredictability to all this. Rumor has it that The Rock possibly defeats Cena again at WrestleMania, and the infamously long anticipated Cena heel turn finally happens after the embarrassment and frustration of not being able to put The Rock away. Hey, WrestleMania is always full of surprises. You never know what could happen!

Submit "My WrestleMania Preview (Match by match)" to Digg Submit "My WrestleMania Preview (Match by match)" to del.icio.us Submit "My WrestleMania Preview (Match by match)" to StumbleUpon Submit "My WrestleMania Preview (Match by match)" to Google

Comments

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.