View RSS Feed

RatedRKO

Analyzing WrestleMania 29:A Retrospective

Rate this Entry
Well, well, well. The final Monday Night Raw before WrestleMania was delivered in the nation's capital and we now have every match set in stone. What can you expect? This is what I believe you're gonna see at Mania.

First I want to show my anger towards a couple of things. First and foremost, the Intercontinental Title Match is on the Pre-Show. What a mockery of one of the most prestigious titles in WWE History. Just to give you an idea of how wrong this is, we have to pay to see Tensai and Brodus Clay. That's right, if you are watching on PPV you're gonna have to empty your pockets to see them perform. The prestigious IC title has now been reduced to YouTube. Such a waste and poor treatment of it. Another thing that gets me upset is that Antonio Cesaro, the United States Champion, does not have a match at WrestleMania. These days, Cesaro is nothing more than a glorified jobber losing to established champions like Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio, and more recently, in an impressive bout, Chris Jericho. This guy has unlimited potential, generates good heel heat, HOLDS A TITLE, and does not even get a match. This is the same case for Kofi Kingston. Not too long ago and TLC, he was the Intercontinental Title. Now, he is nothing more than a jobber. He doesn't even make consistent Smackdown or Raw appearances. Apparently, Superstars is more suited for his incredible abilities. Kofi may not always get the chance, but when his name is called, he performs, no matter how stale his character is. (*cough* heel turn *cough*). Apparently, Fandango and Big E, two wrestlers who has not even had a live match, are better suited for Mania, than Cesaro and Kingston. Just disgusting. By the way, where is the Divas match? I know it's not really important these days but you're not going to improve the Divas division by ignoring them. The Funkdactyls and Bella Twins had a pretty decent bout and there is some potential. I was hoping to see AJ vs Kaitlyn with AJ winning and joining Dolph as WHC and one half of the WWE tag team champs. Oh well.

On the other hand, I will say that I am quite impressed with the level of new talent from NXT and Florida Develoment has brought in. Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Ryback, Damien Sandow, Johnny Curtis and Big E. Langston will all be making their debut at WrestleMania. Kudos to them. However, Big E and Fandango better deliver. Now, on to the card.

YouTube Preshow: The Miz vs Wade Barrett - Intercontinental Championship

This is a disgrace of the highest order. I do not care how bad the build was (an argument over who had the better movie over the IC title? Really?). The Intercontinental Title should ALWAYS be on the main card for Mania. That's just a must. The title is too prestigious but WWE does not care. Rather, they would make us pay to see Tons of Funk dance their fat butts off. The WWE creative team is really just giving the fans a middle finger in my eyes. Expect Barrett to retain. Still a bit too untimely for me to give it to Miz. He was the IC champion not too long ago. And speaking of which, i want to see a Miz heel turn. Soon. It just isn't working out for me.

The Shield vs Randy Orton, Big Show and Sheamus

The Shield are prepared to deliver another taste of justice at WrestleMania and honestly, i do not see any way that team TheBigCelticViper winning against the Shield, considering that they beat a team with John Cena. That in of itself is an impressive feat. I see two things happening moving foward. The Shield will become more powerful than ever and will advance forward with power. But even bigger, Randy Orton turning heel is something that must happen. Attacking both Sheamus and Big Show is the way to go. It's time to inject the venom back into the Viper and unleash his true potential.

Chris Jericho vs Fandango

I have been on Fandango's case as soon as he entered into the WWE. Apparently, Vince has faith in this guy and his abilities. He said the same thing about Drew Mcyintyre and look at where he is now. I see Fandango going over here and if this match gets enough time, i expect them to put on a decent wrestling performance. Chris Jericho deserves much respect for putting someone such as Johnny Curtis over, especially at WrestleMania

Dolph Ziggler and Big E. Langston vs Team Hell No (Kane and Daniel Bryan) - WWE Tag Team Titles

The wildcard i am looking for in this match is Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan. They had a stretch of wrestling 2 out of 3 straight nights on Raw and fans were treated to great wrestling bouts. Hopefully, this leads to Team Hell No finally breaking up after a strong debut last year and a rivalry between Ziggler and Bryan. Imagine the matches they would have for the title. I think i just tinkled. I see Dolph and the Big E winning here. But I was extremely displeased with the build for this match. Its as if WWE only focuses on the big matches, and just rush the undercard matches

Jack Swagger vs Alberto Del Rio - World Heavyweight Championship

The build for this match was lackluster as well. We have went from Batista powerbombing Triple H through a table for the WHC at WrestleMania 21 to more of a political battle between these two. I expect Swagger to handle Alberto Del Rio but Del Rio finding a way to win. However, i do not expect any of them to walk out as champion as I think a certain Show-off will have something to say about that. Ziggler will be the first person in WWE history to cash in at WrestleMania. Ziggler may very well be the biggest star who shines brightest when the night is over.

CM Punk vs The Undertaker

I thought the build-up was average by Undertaker's standards but the edgy CM Punk always finds a way to save the day. Attacking him with the urn and standing on top brings him at the border of magnificent and controversial. But what else would you expect from him? I am going to get tons of heat for this but let me explain. I can see CM Punk winning in a cheap fashion, with Undertaker ending his career by pushing the biggest heel in this business before and his gimmick as "The Best In The World". Of course, Undertaker is the clear favorite. I mean "look good on TV, but lose at the PPV" is the constant theme and it may apply to Punk. IF Undertaker wins, then i think he should end his career with a bang at WrestleMania 30. A match with John Cena.

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H - No Holds Barred (If Triple H loses, he must retire)

I do not see Triple H losing this match by any stretch of the imagination. Other than when Triple H first returned, this has been a below average build for me. We saw Triple H brutalize Paul Heyman and we had Brock Lesnar just standing there saying nothing and walking around the ring. At least show us a preview of what to expect. We didn't even see Triple H unveil his jackhammer. I expect this match to be very brutal, but there is no way Triple H loses to Brock a second straight time. The inclusion of Shawn Michaels brings new life into the feud. But you never know what WWE may have up their sleeve with HBK.

Team Rhodes Scholars and the Bella Twins vs Tons of Funk and The Funkadactlys

And just why should we have to pay to see this match? I don't know. The Miz vs Wade Barrett being on the pre-show is just a disgrace of the highest order. The IC title, once prestigious, has lost any significance that it has. As for this match, I do not expect much. To give you a little perspective, Cody Rhodes was the IC champion this time last year. Look at where he is now. Expect Tons of Funk to win and bring children from the crowd and have a big dance off. This is when I'll take my normal bathroom break.

Diddy Performance

And maybe I'll have a snack break when this is going on.

Ryback vs Mark Henry

Expect two heavy men running around the ring beating each other up. Ryback

John Cena vs The Rock II - WWE Championship

The build for this match should have been a whole lot better. This past Monday Night on Raw, there was no face-to-face, just Cena and Rock giving their own two cents in their own separate segments. Cena being in the first segment and not being shown again just makes his promo very forgettable. Last year, Cena and Rock were in each other's faces. They did get physical, but their promos were just meh. Their interview with the Hall of Fame Panel was golden but WWE, as often happens, fails to capitalize on that momentum. Now let's be reasonable here. Cena is not losing to the Rock a second straight time. BUT, bear with me here. I can see this happening. The Rock beats Cena again and Cena does not get his redemption. Fueled by anger, we see it, the biggest heel turn in years. Hulk Hogan turned heel when he joined the NWO. Stone Cold turned heel when he was in kahutz with Vince Mcmahon. Now it's Cena turn. Listen to what he had said. He said if he lost, he would not know what he would do. He also said that, we would all be shocked. Of course, this can all be an April Fools joke gone bad but lets face it, Cena is going to get booed out of the building but if he turns heel, he will be more over with the crowd than anyone else in WWE History. All they have to do is push the trigger.

There you go folks. Expect new champions, hopefully new characters (Orton and Cena) and a decent showing. This card has a lot of potential but a lot of pressure is being put on the NXT group to perform well. I have the upmost faith in them. I want WWE to pull the trigger on Orton and Cena. They will become so over and ratings will go sky high. Expect a few swerves and an overall decent night. Will Orton and Cena finally snap? Will this be the last time we will see The Game, Triple H? Will CM Punk cement himself as the best in the world by defeating the Undertaker at WrestleMania? Will the NXT rookies and new talent shine? Will Ziggler leave with multipltle titles leading to a Daniel Bryan feud? Will Ryback lift Henry off his shoulders? Why I am I asking you all these questions? Tune into WrestleMania (i will be watching online) and find out. This is RatedRKO, farewell for now.

Submit "Analyzing WrestleMania 29:A Retrospective" to Digg Submit "Analyzing WrestleMania 29:A Retrospective" to del.icio.us Submit "Analyzing WrestleMania 29:A Retrospective" to StumbleUpon Submit "Analyzing WrestleMania 29:A Retrospective" to Google

Updated 04-02-2013 at 10:12 PM by RatedRKO

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

I was mad a bit too by how Clay and so on made the card while Barrett/Miz IC title match didn't. I bet something in the Bellas contract where they would have a Mania match or something.

I figure Orton attacks Sheamus while Big is being attacked outside by 2 members of the Shield.

I hope Ziggler cashes in MITB at Mania.

I agree with Taker facing Cena next year would be the best way to go out, win or lose.

I'd love to see HBK turn on HHH vs Lesnar, but I figure HHH will win o.

Team Rhodes-Scholars wins hopefully. 1 of my fav tag teams. Sandow is a top 3 fav of mine. I just don't like the Bellas and never really have.

Hopefully Cena turns heel, but I doubt it. Either way he wins..........hopefully the 3rd matchup is at Extreme Rules. Don't want that at WM30.
    Judging by the fact that Punk stood tall on Monday means Taker will destroy Punk at the event. Plus Punk is taking time off to heal after Wrestlemania. This "Piss off The Undertaker as much as possible" kinda show's that. I agree Shield needs to win to keep credibility. We all know Cena will win, but I still have hopes the WWE will throw a monkey wrench in that one and surprise us. Here's my question, why is a 6'7" bare knuckle boxer who has been stabbed and walked away being dominated by every Tom Dick and Harry? Now he's likely going to lose to the Miz...Really?! The only person he's beaten in recent mths is Zack Ryder...big whoop. Diggles n Big E will likely win against DB n Kane. Makes no sense for Big E to lose his first match. Jericho is going on tour so I'm assuming he'll be giving Fandango a push. Personally I'm hoping for a Brock win. I still think they dropped the ball by having Cena beat him last year, now he seems to be gaining more losses than than wins since his return. I don't think HHH's ego will allow himself to have 2 losses, although he did lose twice to The Deadman. Maybe he is all about what's best for buisness and less about himself( Take notes Stinger)
    Updated 04-04-2013 at 11:41 AM by venom28-
    Taker still has 3 more Manias according to JR and Kane. Taker losing to Cena, bad idea. Needs to be a passing of the torch type of deal. Cena's had torch after Torch givin to him. Beside I've heard numerous times that he want's Glenn Jacobs to end the streak. From what I've heard it's all Taker's decision.
    I'm a wwe fan but I've watched the last few ppvs in the hope that something different will happen, but we have been fed the same old predictable crap. Here is what I honestly think will happen:

miz beats wade
    shield wins (orton heel turn is probable, turns on shamus)
    fandango beats jericho
    team hell no win and get forced down our throats for a few months longer
    del rio wins (I hope ziggler cashes but I doubt it)
    undertaker gets beats up the whole match, sits up and wins
    funkmuppets win and dance 4 a while
    triple h wins
    ryback wins
    cena wins (pray 4 a heel turn that won't happen)

I couldn't agree with you more.

i know I sound negative and I really hope I'm wrong. I will keep watching but the disappointment is growing
    Updated 04-04-2013 at 03:18 PM by RatedRKO
    This post actually depressed me whilst reading through it. I was going to ask if you were even a fan, as all I can see throughout this article is complaint after complaint.... but I found my answer in the last few sentences "I will be watching online"

I was going to ask, what kind of Wrestlemania card would you actually pay to watch, but there is no such thing, because no doubt you'll find something wrong with that.

Well my complaint isn't about the matches but the anticipation and build-up of it. For me, it was kind of rushed and lackluster and some matches were just thrown. I expect everyone to put on great matches but when i compare this WrestleMania to those in past years, it was really dissapointing. I mean look at it, The Undertaker does not look that into the matchup as he was with HBK, Edge and Shawn Michaels. Yea he is old and banged up but we really didn't see that intensity. The Big E/Dolph vs Team Hell No Match just seemed to be thrown on after a series of matches. Triple H/Lesnar did not really have the physicality i was expecting besides Triple H returning on the first night. I wanted Lesnar to respond but we just got Paul talking for him. The IC title not being on the main card and the US champion along with Kofi Kingston not having matches up to this point are dissapointing as well. The WHC is being battled over political and cultural reasons. I expect much from Mania 29 but the build for most of the matches made me not care for much. That's just me. But luckily i get to watch all of this online for free rather than spending money.
    Updated 04-04-2013 at 03:23 PM by RatedRKO
    I agreed with pretty much everything in the post, but the title confused me. Isn't a "retrospective" a look back at events that have already taken place?

As for the show...I plan on watching it at a local sports bar. I haven't watched a WM PPV before, so fortunately, I don't have any high expectations.

Thanks for the error. I should have put "perspective". Still a bit new here
    Updated 04-04-2013 at 03:24 PM by RatedRKO
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSaito
    I agreed with pretty much everything in the post, but the title confused me. Isn't a "retrospective" a look back at events that have already taken place?

As for the show...I plan on watching it at a local sports bar. I haven't watched a WM PPV before, so fortunately, I don't have any high expectations.
    Well, sources say that WrestleMania 29 should bring in huge surprises, mainly faces turning heel. I'd stay tuned.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.