View RSS Feed

Dennis

PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE

Rate this Entry
Why the pg era is good for wrestling fans and the WWE.
So today I thought I'd take on an issue relevant to wrestling fans but many in the internet wrestling community, in my opinion, blindly hate with out realizing the benefits of it. The pg era, as a whole does have it's down sides but in this blog I will focus on the good things about the pg era. Trust me there are plenty of positive things about the pg era that most of us overlook for multiple reason. One of which is the fact that plenty members in the IWC or internet wrestling community grew up in the attitude era. Another reason is because the major face of the company tends to be seen as stale, and isn't a great wrestler, though to be fair we haven't had a face of the company who was a great wrestler since Brett hart in the WWE. Hulk Hogan was no better than John Cena in my opinion as a wrestler, and we tend to forget about stuff like that because we tend to romanticize past era's because either we were young and they seemed more amazing, or we only really remember the good things and space on the details what were just ok. So today I figured I would give you four basic contentions

Reason Number 1: It makes it more kid friendly.
For obvious reasons I started with this issue but I think even though it's an obvious reason, it deserves to not only be said but to be the main reason and most advantageous of all the contentions I will put forth. I have seen members on this site in the forums make a solid argument against this idea that not only does it alienate some members of the internet wrestling community and smarks in general, but it also bores children and I don't bite on this argumentation for the following reasons. For one, members who have watched WWE their entire life are still going to be entertained by a product even if that product isn't vulgar. As a wrestling fan, I want to watch Daniel Bryan vs Cm Punk for the wwe title, as the pg era has given us. Parents want to have a product that their children can watch, though many of our parents allowed us to watch the product doesn't mean that all parents allow their children to watch moments like Sable wearing a potato sack that ended up having the skimpiest outfit imaginable underneath it. Back in 2006 my family and I went to a raw in the Seattle area, my sister actually flipped out when she saw what the girls were wearing because she didn't want her young son, roughly 8 years old at the time, exposed to such clothing. Could you even imagine how bad she would have been if this was during the attiude era, and instead of someone like Maria Kanellis it was someone like Sable? This allows them to capitalize on two markets, one the parents of the children for buy rates in the now, and two buy rates in the future because the children will watch it with their children, setting up this scenario hopefully for them, again in the future.

Reason Number 2: You can take the divas division more seriously.
I grew up in the attitude era and I had the privilege of watching great, talented divas put it all on the line for all of us fans. Sadly though, I don't remember divas such as Lita for much else than being a sexualized damsel for men to feud over. To me this is a problem, many fans of the divas division will point over to TNA as a better woman's division, which is fair... but to me, they are not as much as a sex symbol as they were in the attitude era in the WWE's attitude era. Today's divas have a much better chance to shine as more of an equal to their male counterparts instead of a sex symbol and borderline object that they seemed to be in the attitude era. I mean, arguably the greatest diva of all time Trish Stratus is more known for her great skits instead of her superb matches against Mickie James or Lita because they perpetuated the idea that she was a sexual object instead of a strong, powerful woman. In todays market we seem to have two types of divas. Divas like Kaitlyn and Natalya are rarely sexualized while getting TV time. Obviously a diva like AJ lee is overly sexualized but I still am yet to see her in a damsel in distress role instead she is a diva who uses her sexuality, instead she uses her sexuality for power. Though this happened during the attitude era obviously... It's great that there are not really divas in todays market who play the damsel in distress role that has been common in previous eras. This is good for the WWE for multiple reason, one it allows woman to watch this product for strong role model like figures and two it doesn't stop parents from allowing children to watch this product out of fear of exposing their child to a very sexual television show.

Reason number three: It gives us new dynamics to watch and pushes great superstars ahead.
The last point I plan to make is obviously the most controversial and thus the most fun to write a valid claim warrant and impact for. The attitude era in my estimation, which I could be misguided in believing is going to be more known for actions between the ropes or even actions related to the ring itself instead of things like beer or milk trucks. It's allowing superstars to actually get over by being the best wrestler with a silly gimmick like Daniel Bryan who might have had a harder time getting over with out a vulgar gimmick in the past like Val Venis's gimmick. This too leads to the superstar being taken much more seriously and allows said superstars to thrive in ways that previously they didn't. Mark Henry is probably one of the baddest men on the current WWE roster, in the attitude era all I can remember him for is his time with a woman in her 70's. Don't get me wrong, obviously superstars like Stone Cold Steve Austin were plenty over in the attitude era. The difference at least in my eyes is that the attitude era is that Stone Cold Steve Austin was not a great role model for the fans, and is more known for his things outside of the ring. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this era gives us a new way to view these superstars in order to keep the current product fresh. Also, if they ever do decide to go back to the attitude era, or even when they bring someone back someone during this era, It seems more special. The rock's song to Vickie would have seemed a lot less groundbreaking if it was during the attitude era. Also faces tend to be more face like making them idols for the children, and hated by the smarks. Also heels tend to be hated by the children but loved by the smarks. This leads to pretty amazing crowd reactions like John Cena so often receives.

So to summarize for the following three reasons, the pg era is good for all of us!
1) Good for the kids
2) Good for the divas
3) Good for the superstars and creative.

Thank you for reading this edition of A Dennis Blog and as always godspeed to you all!

Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to Digg Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to Google

Updated 03-26-2013 at 09:41 AM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Dennis's Avatar
    Becca your arguments kind of went everywhere so I will try to bulk it down into an easier form for me to refute.
    1) Your nephew isn't the only 6 year old out there. My 7 year old nephew doesn't like bob the builder, doesn't mean all 7 year olds don't like bob the builder... You need a larger sample size, and beings the show is showing some promise, I assume it's getting some viewership.
    2) Not all the smarks buy the ppv's they tend to do other things to get the ppv... I think you should view the CBOT thread during a ppv sunday, and see what I'm talking about.
    3) Your point about the kids having school the next day is purely speculation. My father would buy ppv's growing up during the pg era because I'm on the west coast so 8 oclock (the ending time for a ppv) isn't nearly late enough to worry about.
  2. Glamour Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Glamour Girl-

    Thanks for commenting I will explain my thoughts here .
    1) No, Eve was not the danzel in destress in this case IMO. If you recall while she was at first, she turned heel using that storyline, and turned into a stronger heel making her a more dynamic and interesting character. Same thing with AJ Lee, during the Daniel Bryan and CM Punk feud it turned into AJ Lee having much more control over them than they really realized. This lead to her crazy gimmick being pushed really hard, and has made her arguably the most important female persona on WWE's roster today.

    2) Trish stratus and Lita are both great wrestler and are definitely in contention when talking about the greatest divas of all time but here is the thing, even though that's true, they are both more memorable for their roles outside of the ring. When I think Lita, I think of the hardyz before her wrestling. When I think of trish stratus I think of king yelling "puppies" instead of a great historic rivalry with someone like Mickie James or Lita.

    3) Divas today are not pushed as hard, because they have a pretty crowded roster. I would say this could be solved easily, and WWE is just really catching the gist of having pg era divas IMO. I mean, it wasn't long ago when I was watching Kelly Expose on my television. Divas like Kaitlyn might not be as over as someone like trish stratus, but they will still be a better role model for the fans. Kaitlyn is a face that does what's right, similar to John Cena. She doesn't overly sexualize herself in order to get a reaction.

    4) Yes they still show a diva's sexuality in order to keep people interested. But at least now it's more tasteful and not so apparent. I remember when I was young watching trish's early career and she was basically selling herself out to kiss up to the boss, even though Eve used her sexuality in order to gain power in the past, she still came off as a stronger woman who was just not afraid to sexualize herself for power... but kissing someone isn't nearly as bad as showing the boss your naked body lol.
    I don't agree with the first thing that comes to mind about Trish is puppies lol, it's not even on the first 5 things that come to my mind (maybe it's cause I'm a straight woman, but I don't remember the word puppies being used that much for Trish). The word puppies was used more for Debra (queen of the puppies), Terri, Torrie, Sable and a few others. Sex appeal wasn't the only tool the Divas of the Attitude Era had to draw the fans in, the women of that era were better wrestlers overall cause most of them weren't models and had a wrestling background before their debut in the company. Women like Ivory, Jacqueline, Victoria, Jazz, Molly Holly and others helped make the Attitude Era memorable and not just based on sex appeal, but on amazing wrestling skills. The women today just lack all the tools that drew me to wrestling to begin with since sex appeal wasn't that important to me.
  3. Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamour Girl
    I don't agree with the first thing that comes to mind about Trish is puppies lol, it's not even on the first 5 things that come to my mind (maybe it's cause I'm a straight woman, but I don't remember the word puppies being used that much for Trish). The word puppies was used more for Debra (queen of the puppies), Terri, Torrie, Sable and a few others. Sex appeal wasn't the only tool the Divas of the Attitude Era had to draw the fans in, the women of that era were better wrestlers overall cause most of them weren't models and had a wrestling background before their debut in the company. Women like Ivory, Jacqueline, Victoria, Jazz, Molly Holly and others helped make the Attitude Era memorable and not just based on sex appeal, but on amazing wrestling skills. The women today just lack all the tools that drew me to wrestling to begin with since sex appeal wasn't that important to me.
    Trust me as a straight male I can tell you that term was used a ton on Trish Stratus. I think your main problem with this era isn't how they present the woman that are on tv per say, I think it's that this era tends not to show the woman on tv as often. This could be for several reasons, and likely to be fixed over time. Women like Chyna got a lot of air time via stables, Natalya the current rosters closest replica of Chyna has been pushed in several fashions just none of them has stuck. The WWE sadly is a business so even though a diva might show promise if she can't get over, it's not the fault of the company all the time. The company can not always push superstars who as wrestlers are great but for some reason lack the persona to get over. Natalya and many other divas have been pushed in several different ways, and WWE has tried to get divas that could match up against those divas in the past. Kharma for instance is obviously not a sex symbol either in my opinion were Beth Phoenix or Natalya. Just in curiosity so I can touch more on your issue with my initial claim, what drew you to woman's wrestling in the first place? I don't know your current age but could it be that there were strong woman on the tv, and so you idolized them because you were a young girl? Similar to the reason during that era I really idolized WWE superstars like Stone Cold and Jeff Hardy because they were male superstars who were presented as strong and reluctant to be held down even against the odds because I felt that I could relate to them... Just a side note, there were plenty of not very good wrestlers in the Attitude Era, even though my point doesn't need me to defend this I think it's worth saying. Sable, Dawn Marie, and Torrie Wilson should never make a top 25 best in ring female competitors list haha... Todays divas in my opinion tend not to be models first, or even if they are, tend to be of some wrestling quality. I mean, Layla was a model first but still is one of the better divas on the roster as far as wrestling ability goes.
  4. walldo 3:16's Avatar
    Don't agree with any of it .. If daniel bryan was involved in the attitude era picture the matches with benoit angle and a young y2j .. Wood love to see bryan in tna .. Diva devision sucks so much ass at the minute and the whole creative team shood be fired .. The wwe should employ fans to be on the creative team GIVE US WHAT WE WANT
  5. Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walldo 3:16
    Don't agree with any of it .. If daniel bryan was involved in the attitude era picture the matches with benoit angle and a young y2j .. Wood love to see bryan in tna .. Diva devision sucks so much ass at the minute and the whole creative team shood be fired .. The wwe should employ fans to be on the creative team GIVE US WHAT WE WANT
    There is so much to tackle here I don't even know where to start. Your point about Daniel Bryan has no internal link anywhere... Sure Daniel Bryan would have had great matches against the likes of young Jericho or Chris Benoit, but he still has great matches today and you never denied that. Sure, the divas division isn't great right now but that's not a direct clash with my argumentation. I never said this crop of divas is better than the last one, or puts on better matches. I said that these divas will be less sexualized and more known for their in ring action. WWE does employ fans, Edge was a fan, Cm punk was a fan, AJ lee was a fan... etc etc etc... Most involved in the product love this business and try to do what they think is most advantageous for this business since you don't agree with them don't smash their character, that's a fallacy at it's worst.
  6. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    While I agree with your stance, you have a few major holes in your theory.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Reason Number 1: It makes it more kid friendly.
    ...For one, members who have watched WWE their entire life are still going to be entertained by a product even if that product isn't vulgar. As a wrestling fan, I want to watch Daniel Bryan vs Cm Punk for the wwe title, as the pg era has given us...



    Yes, when these matches occur it will keep the older crowds invested, but the time between classics like this is where the older audience declines. The counter part is that during this times (depending on where your top face is at) is also where the younger crowd dwindles; It’s a catch-22, but there is no guarantee that said 10 year fan will remain a fan their entire life when the product shifts outside of what they find entertaining.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    This allows them to capitalize on two markets, one the parents of the children for buy rates in the now, and two buy rates in the future because the children will watch it with their children, setting up this scenario hopefully for them, again in the future.




    This is speculation; when you have a massive amount of viewers dropping off (which the WWE has had) then those second generation fans aren’t being exposed to the product to become new fans due to the fact that Daddy is turning the channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Reason Number 2: You can take the divas division more seriously.
    Today's divas have a much better chance to shine as more of an equal to their male counterparts instead of a sex symbol and borderline object that they seemed to be in the attitude era... they perpetuated the idea that she was a sexual object instead of a strong, powerful woman.


    How are they treated as equals? Is it because the 4-10 min matches are what RAW is featuring now, so their “time to shine” in a 2-5 min match is closer to the amount of time the men get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Obviously a diva like AJ lee is overly sexualized but I still am yet to see her in a damsel in distress role instead she is a diva who uses her sexuality, instead she uses her sexuality for power... This is good for the WWE for multiple reason, one it allows woman to watch this product for strong role model like figures and two it doesn't stop parents from allowing children to watch this product out of fear of exposing their child to a very sexual television show.



    How is a woman who uses her sexuality to gain power considered a “strong role model” when most would call her a whore? The majority of parents wouldn’t want their daughters acting this way, nor do I think they would want their talented daughter playing second fiddle to a less talented man the way Natty does, but that’s just my opinion.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Reason number three: It gives us new dynamics to watch and pushes great superstars ahead.
    The difference at least in my eyes is that the attitude era is that Stone Cold Steve Austin was not a great role model for the fans...


    This is dependent upon your personal view. Some took Austin as a beer drinking redneck whereas others took him as what Dusty Rhodes was supposed to be against the 4 Horsemen; the regular guy who stands up to the corporate bullies. Austin (much like Punk) was the character you wanted to be like due to his ability to say what he wanted without the fear of repercussion, which CAN be a beneficial type of character.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Also faces tend to be more face like making them idols for the children, and hated by the smarks. Also heels tend to be hated by the children but loved by the smarks.


    This is the one thing I love about the current era; we have fewer “tweeners” and a more cohesive idea for where a specific character stands. With this ideal, it makes for turns to be much more impactful on careers and helps to make storylines have more continuity.

    All in all, good blog Donny; it definitely got people talking, which is the goal after all.

  7. Mr. Jay's Avatar
    We haven't forgotten that Hogan was the Cena of the 90s. If that were the case, we would be making T NA the #1 show. Also the divas are not an issue. The issue is creative. H
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.