View RSS Feed

Dennis

PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Why the pg era is good for wrestling fans and the WWE.
So today I thought I'd take on an issue relevant to wrestling fans but many in the internet wrestling community, in my opinion, blindly hate with out realizing the benefits of it. The pg era, as a whole does have it's down sides but in this blog I will focus on the good things about the pg era. Trust me there are plenty of positive things about the pg era that most of us overlook for multiple reason. One of which is the fact that plenty members in the IWC or internet wrestling community grew up in the attitude era. Another reason is because the major face of the company tends to be seen as stale, and isn't a great wrestler, though to be fair we haven't had a face of the company who was a great wrestler since Brett hart in the WWE. Hulk Hogan was no better than John Cena in my opinion as a wrestler, and we tend to forget about stuff like that because we tend to romanticize past era's because either we were young and they seemed more amazing, or we only really remember the good things and space on the details what were just ok. So today I figured I would give you four basic contentions

Reason Number 1: It makes it more kid friendly.
For obvious reasons I started with this issue but I think even though it's an obvious reason, it deserves to not only be said but to be the main reason and most advantageous of all the contentions I will put forth. I have seen members on this site in the forums make a solid argument against this idea that not only does it alienate some members of the internet wrestling community and smarks in general, but it also bores children and I don't bite on this argumentation for the following reasons. For one, members who have watched WWE their entire life are still going to be entertained by a product even if that product isn't vulgar. As a wrestling fan, I want to watch Daniel Bryan vs Cm Punk for the wwe title, as the pg era has given us. Parents want to have a product that their children can watch, though many of our parents allowed us to watch the product doesn't mean that all parents allow their children to watch moments like Sable wearing a potato sack that ended up having the skimpiest outfit imaginable underneath it. Back in 2006 my family and I went to a raw in the Seattle area, my sister actually flipped out when she saw what the girls were wearing because she didn't want her young son, roughly 8 years old at the time, exposed to such clothing. Could you even imagine how bad she would have been if this was during the attiude era, and instead of someone like Maria Kanellis it was someone like Sable? This allows them to capitalize on two markets, one the parents of the children for buy rates in the now, and two buy rates in the future because the children will watch it with their children, setting up this scenario hopefully for them, again in the future.

Reason Number 2: You can take the divas division more seriously.
I grew up in the attitude era and I had the privilege of watching great, talented divas put it all on the line for all of us fans. Sadly though, I don't remember divas such as Lita for much else than being a sexualized damsel for men to feud over. To me this is a problem, many fans of the divas division will point over to TNA as a better woman's division, which is fair... but to me, they are not as much as a sex symbol as they were in the attitude era in the WWE's attitude era. Today's divas have a much better chance to shine as more of an equal to their male counterparts instead of a sex symbol and borderline object that they seemed to be in the attitude era. I mean, arguably the greatest diva of all time Trish Stratus is more known for her great skits instead of her superb matches against Mickie James or Lita because they perpetuated the idea that she was a sexual object instead of a strong, powerful woman. In todays market we seem to have two types of divas. Divas like Kaitlyn and Natalya are rarely sexualized while getting TV time. Obviously a diva like AJ lee is overly sexualized but I still am yet to see her in a damsel in distress role instead she is a diva who uses her sexuality, instead she uses her sexuality for power. Though this happened during the attitude era obviously... It's great that there are not really divas in todays market who play the damsel in distress role that has been common in previous eras. This is good for the WWE for multiple reason, one it allows woman to watch this product for strong role model like figures and two it doesn't stop parents from allowing children to watch this product out of fear of exposing their child to a very sexual television show.

Reason number three: It gives us new dynamics to watch and pushes great superstars ahead.
The last point I plan to make is obviously the most controversial and thus the most fun to write a valid claim warrant and impact for. The attitude era in my estimation, which I could be misguided in believing is going to be more known for actions between the ropes or even actions related to the ring itself instead of things like beer or milk trucks. It's allowing superstars to actually get over by being the best wrestler with a silly gimmick like Daniel Bryan who might have had a harder time getting over with out a vulgar gimmick in the past like Val Venis's gimmick. This too leads to the superstar being taken much more seriously and allows said superstars to thrive in ways that previously they didn't. Mark Henry is probably one of the baddest men on the current WWE roster, in the attitude era all I can remember him for is his time with a woman in her 70's. Don't get me wrong, obviously superstars like Stone Cold Steve Austin were plenty over in the attitude era. The difference at least in my eyes is that the attitude era is that Stone Cold Steve Austin was not a great role model for the fans, and is more known for his things outside of the ring. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but this era gives us a new way to view these superstars in order to keep the current product fresh. Also, if they ever do decide to go back to the attitude era, or even when they bring someone back someone during this era, It seems more special. The rock's song to Vickie would have seemed a lot less groundbreaking if it was during the attitude era. Also faces tend to be more face like making them idols for the children, and hated by the smarks. Also heels tend to be hated by the children but loved by the smarks. This leads to pretty amazing crowd reactions like John Cena so often receives.

So to summarize for the following three reasons, the pg era is good for all of us!
1) Good for the kids
2) Good for the divas
3) Good for the superstars and creative.

Thank you for reading this edition of A Dennis Blog and as always godspeed to you all!

Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to Digg Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "PG era is Advantageous for Fans and WWE" to Google

Updated 03-26-2013 at 09:41 AM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    While this is well written and thought out, I disagree with every point.

The WWE being kid friendly doesn't make the PG era advantageous for fans, only the WWE.

Fans can't take the Divas division seriously because the WWE doesn't take the Divas seriously. Back 10 years ago (well after the attitude era) Womens wrestling was actually pretty good in the E', but now it's unwatchable for 2 reasons. 1. The women they have now really can't wrestle. 2. They give their Divas 2 minutes of wrestling, so by the time you come to see, they're gone.

Lastly, I don't think there are any new dynamics to watch and barely any superstars are really being pushed if you look at it. There are less gimmicks now in the E' than ever, most of the wrestlers are generic and even the ones that have gimmicks aren't full fledged into them. And truly, whose being pushed that hasn't been pushed already? The top guys are still the top guys, and the midcard is where most of the real talent is.
    Yeah you're not going to get many of the Drive By posse agreeing with you here.
    I agree with the above comments while this is thought out and well presented and put together i also don't agree with the points. tome as a female the only divas i am actually interested in seeing is kaitlin , natalya and aj since those two can actually wrestle. kaitlin is just like trish sratus too me who was one of my favorite granted she can't wreslte as good as her but the personality and looks are very similar and natalya is a hart trained girl what more could you ask for and as for aj i just think its cool how she is so crazy and she reminds me of lita a bit . the bellas, tamina , and aksana are all horrible they do not make we want to be like them in any way. as for the pg being an advantage idk about that sometimes i think it hurts them in the long run especially with ppv buy because what adult who only watches this with there children are gonna pay 50 dollars on a sunday before a school night for there child not gonna happen and yes there have been no new aspects added or new people truly pushed the closest was dolph ziggler and he has kinda faded some i'm not bashing the era its just sometimes the show just is unbearable even my 6 year old nephew wont watch saturday morning slam cuz he says it boring lol
    I somewhat agree, but I strongly disagree with what you said about the Divas. Just last year Eve was a damsel in distress during the whole Cena/Ryder thing and wasn't AJ a damsel in distress during the Punk/DB feud in a way? They may not have been shown as weak, but they were there just to be sexualized at the time. As Beth Phoenix pointed out in an interview women in the Attitude Era had more tools at their disposals than women now do which has led to many of the current Divas becoming dull and very much alike.

Trish was remembered not just for her skits, but cause she could do it all. She was a great in ring performer, looked great and could do great promos.

The Divas today may not be having bikini contests or bra and panties matches, but they're as heavily sexualized as they ever were within the PG guidelines. They're definitely not even close to being seen as equals to the men and if anything they're further away than Trish, Lita Sable and Chyna ever were.
    Completely disagree with the divas division point. Lita is considered one of the best womens wrestlers of all time. Fans loved her mainly for the reason she was a high flyer and had shaded of extreme wrestling and that hadn't been seen before. The divas division was a lot more interesting before the PG era, to a degree it was because of the sexual elements, but they got so much more time to wrestle and the most memorable matches/feuds of the divas division was before PG. It's just gone massively downhill since then, so I don't the PG ere doing any favours for the division at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-O-W KINGS!
    While this is well written and thought out, I disagree with every point.

The WWE being kid friendly doesn't make the PG era advantageous for fans, only the WWE.

Fans can't take the Divas division seriously because the WWE doesn't take the Divas seriously. Back 10 years ago (well after the attitude era) Womens wrestling was actually pretty good in the E', but now it's unwatchable for 2 reasons. 1. The women they have now really can't wrestle. 2. They give their Divas 2 minutes of wrestling, so by the time you come to see, they're gone.

Lastly, I don't think there are any new dynamics to watch and barely any superstars are really being pushed if you look at it. There are less gimmicks now in the E' than ever, most of the wrestlers are generic and even the ones that have gimmicks aren't full fledged into them. And truly, whose being pushed that hasn't been pushed already? The top guys are still the top guys, and the midcard is where most of the real talent is.
    Thanks for the kind words about how I wrote my blog I will embrace your debate and contend your points...

1) If WWE is bringing in more fans during this era in the long run it's good for the fans in general. People will continue to watch this stuff even when they are older, because it still has qualities that adults will like. I'm a 21 year old and I really like the Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger current story, along with Team Hell NO!... Both stories fall under the pg paradigm while still allowing parents to watch the product with their children. The fact that the parents can watch it with there children alone makes it advantageous for the fans.

2) I do agree that they do not give the woman's division enough time, but it doesn't actually contend with my point of making the woman seem stronger and being more known for their in ring work. Kaitlyn for instance even though she is involved in storylines that also include guys is seen as an equal. While they are not pushing as many divas as they were in the attitude era, that might be a good thing. Divas are a crucial part of WWE, but the attitude era pushed a lot of divas that purely couldn't wrestle.

3) I would like to see your specific examples... Dolph Ziggler is nothing like Mark Henry for instance. Randy Orton is nothing like Sheamus. I think people forget that if you want to push faces, who sell merchandise which is a must for WWE to thrive, they need to be somewhat predictable for the most part. Sure there will be the faces now and again that break this rule, but for the most part either they do the right thing like Alberto Del Rio or they do what the general populous deems to be the wrong thing like Jack Swagger. All the superstars I have mentioned in this short contention are all main event talent who have very unique gimmicks...
    Glamour Girl-

Thanks for commenting I will explain my thoughts here .
    1) No, Eve was not the danzel in destress in this case IMO. If you recall while she was at first, she turned heel using that storyline, and turned into a stronger heel making her a more dynamic and interesting character. Same thing with AJ Lee, during the Daniel Bryan and CM Punk feud it turned into AJ Lee having much more control over them than they really realized. This lead to her crazy gimmick being pushed really hard, and has made her arguably the most important female persona on WWE's roster today.

2) Trish stratus and Lita are both great wrestler and are definitely in contention when talking about the greatest divas of all time but here is the thing, even though that's true, they are both more memorable for their roles outside of the ring. When I think Lita, I think of the hardyz before her wrestling. When I think of trish stratus I think of king yelling "puppies" instead of a great historic rivalry with someone like Mickie James or Lita.

3) Divas today are not pushed as hard, because they have a pretty crowded roster. I would say this could be solved easily, and WWE is just really catching the gist of having pg era divas IMO. I mean, it wasn't long ago when I was watching Kelly Expose on my television. Divas like Kaitlyn might not be as over as someone like trish stratus, but they will still be a better role model for the fans. Kaitlyn is a face that does what's right, similar to John Cena. She doesn't overly sexualize herself in order to get a reaction.

4) Yes they still show a diva's sexuality in order to keep people interested. But at least now it's more tasteful and not so apparent. I remember when I was young watching trish's early career and she was basically selling herself out to kiss up to the boss, even though Eve used her sexuality in order to gain power in the past, she still came off as a stronger woman who was just not afraid to sexualize herself for power... but kissing someone isn't nearly as bad as showing the boss your naked body lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.