View RSS Feed

Darkside Ron Garvin

Top Feud in Wrestling Currently.

Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
What do you think of when you hear “best feud going in the wrestling business today”? Does the idea of CM Punk vs. The Undertaker come to mind? Is it Redemption vs. Greatness that you think about? Perhaps you think about Bully Ray vs. Hulk Hogan, S.C.U.M. vs. ROH, or CZW wrestlers vs. Law Enforcement Officials. No matter what comes to mind first, there is a number 1 feud that immediately pops into your head; I know one comes to my mind instantaneously. However, the feud I think of isn’t something that you’ll see on Monday, Thursday, or Friday nights. It’s not something that will be in a featured spot on the Granddaddy of them All. And it isn’t even something that the talent of a given promotion can stake claim to being a part of “something special” outside of having been a part of the promotion in general. The biggest feud in the wrestling industry today isn’t involving a specific star; it is involving the fans of specific wrestler/promotion against fans of a differing superstar and/or an alternate promotion. Like my point of view or hate it, this is just a chance for me to get out a bit of frustration I have with the beloved “Drive By IWC” that I find myself involved with on a regular basis. So to begin with, I am going to say that this is a rant. Most on the blog section haven’t seen me around since I stopped my “How to Regain” series a while back due to a lack of motivation for dealing with some of my complaints about blogs in general. Rather than bitching and trying to spread my views as being the “justified” way of how things should be, I chose to take my views to the forum boards. Now that the intro has been derailed from the point, I am going to do my best to explain this feud.

I am a fan who is very simple to please. Give me a match where the athletes leave it all in the ring and I am happy. I get my kicks from watching a wrestling match that has great back and forth action mixed with excellent story telling in the ring. Storylines are more of an “added bonus” for me as a fan as I don’t care about who is taking cheap shots but when there is a brilliantly executed struggle for power or redemption story, it adds more punch. But as a fan, I understand that this is how I view the product. Others might have differing opinions and that is perfectly reasonable. What is not reasonable is why there is an underlying rule (or so it seems) that if you are not a fan of a particular type of product, you should feel that it is your responsibility to ridicule a fan with a different view of said product. We might value our own opinions, but we shouldn’t be ignorant enough to think that “my individual opinion is the way everyone should think”. That, in itself, is some of the dumbest logic I have ever heard; and I watch CNN and Fox News on a regular basis.

I have been very critical of WWE for quite some time. They are a product that is more centered around storylines than action in the ring, which is where my criticism stems from. However, when selected fans spew the bile against the PG product or when they run RAW down for being a “kid’s show” by claiming a dancing Dinosaur, Ryback, and the “controversial” John Cena to be killing the industry, I have to shake my head in disgust. The same goes for the over-the-top love for a specific man named Phil, who people say is being “held back” because the E won’t make him the face of the company. A man who told someone to drink bleach, vocally expresses his disdain for fans, and even managed to strike one on a live episode of RAW is not who I would choose to place as the face of my multi-million dollar company. The WWE is and has been doing excellent business for many years now, so who am I to say that the business is “dying” thanks to their efforts. If anything, some of the superstars most hated upon are the reason why other internet darling have a place to go in which they can make an excellent living.

On the opposite end of the coin, I find myself being a person who praises a lot of what TNA does. Not because they are “better” than the WWE; because they seem to be giving me what I as a fan want. They have made their show live, they made their storylines last longer than a month, they lowered the PPVs, home grown talent has flourished, they are taking the show on the road. What I was wanting out of this company, I am getting as they continue to have excellent matches (some worthy of a PPV spot in my opinion) on their live events and they provide an awesome experience when you sign up for the Fan Interactions. But I am not blinded to their short comings in that the storylines have multiple flaws, many talents will disappear for months at a time, and they desperately need to revamp some of their divisions. I can admit this willingly, but some TNA fans have the hardest time admitting any of this. They praise TNA as being the only show worth watching, and as a fan of the wrestling industry, I know this is a lie. Others will goes as far as isolating a fan that doesn’t have the “in-depth” history of where TNA originated from and use it as a way to express their “supremacy” of being the most loyal of all fans; with people like this, it’s no wonder why people constantly criticize TNA fans.

My biggest complaint, however, is that the fans of these two promotions tend to go at each other every chance they get; Hatfield and McCoy style. WWE fans call TNA the place for washed up wrestlers and those who aren’t good enough for the big leagues, yet will name a list of people who should jump to WWE when their contract is up (Sting, Styles, Roode, Bully Ray, Angle, Hardy, and Morgan to name a few). They will take cheap shots at something they read in a spoiler with actually having watched the event (Bully Ray Heel Turn at Lockdown); this is like saying “The video game God of War: Ascension sucked because I read the review in Game Informer about it.” How would you know it sucked if you didn’t experience the game? TNA fans run their mouth about how the WWE is shit, yet would willingly accept someone like Punk, Bryan, Ziggler, or Jericho jumping with damp shorts as they eagerly tune in to Impact. There was a slight debate for a bit in the forums about how these kinds of fans drive casual fans away from the product, and I feel that there is a bit of truth to that statement. It’s hard to become a new fan of something when those who are already fans paint you in a specific portrait before ever asking you what turned you onto the product to begin with. It is unnecessary and very petty of the fans of a specific product to treat new/alternate fans this way; we are all fans of the wrestling world. As a fan of TNA, I want them to succeed and the only way for them to continually grow is by continually adding more fans which can be accomplish in correlation with the continued success of the WWE.

I am not picking on everyone, nor am I not admitting that I too have fallen into this category at times. However, when you boil it down, I am a “mark” for the wrestling industry as a whole; not just TNA, WWE, ROH, or whatever your personal choice is. All of these promotions are part of the industry, so what right do I have to condemn someone for liking a specific aspect of the industry as a whole? To conclude this ongoing novel, I will say that a healthy dose of cynicism is perfectly acceptable, but a healthy dose of optimism tends to make watching whichever wrestling program you chose, that much more enjoyable and will also help in making new fans want to be a part of the experience you fell in love with in this wacky world of wrestling.

Submit "Top Feud in Wrestling Currently." to Digg Submit "Top Feud in Wrestling Currently." to del.icio.us Submit "Top Feud in Wrestling Currently." to StumbleUpon Submit "Top Feud in Wrestling Currently." to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi great blog very good read and it is very true how we sit here
    and think well this is what I want to see so its the only opinion that matters im not saying we cant have our favorites or dislike something more then most but jeeesh dont beat a dead horse and kill the joy someone might get out of it you wanna show loyalty.great but keep it too a healthy level so again great job with the blog speaking the truth :-)
    Thank you for this blog, this expresses everything I have been thinking for months
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu
    Great Blog!! I agree with you that, fans go overboard in ridiculing things which they do not like. I am a TNA fan these days...I'm watching it because it has offered me something new to watch in terms of in ring skills n it has nothing to do with WWE...of late I'm watching very less of WWE because it has been too much of WWE..every single day in a week you have one or the other WWE shows n match quality is only occasionally good where as I feel TNA will have at least one great match a night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu

I liked watching Styles/Carter/Claire angle more than Cena/AJ for only one reason that it had given us some memorable/insane matches...Story may be boring but when ever it went inside the ring, they have provided us some spectacular matches...

I do not think there is any comparison b/n Punk n HHH except for the fact that both are total packages (inring n Mic skills)...HHH is/was always loyal to his fans n he genuinely loves the profession while Punk (though one of my current favorites) is not very loyal to his own fans who made him...

That's what keeping him away from being that FACE of the Company even as a heel...
    Point 1 – I think WWE was fine with 4 hours of programming a week (excluding internet exclusives) but I can see why they upped it. The 3 hour RAW would come off a little better if it wasn’t a marriage of SD adding to the show, and gave more chance to some of the lower to mid-card talent. But that is just my opinion of it. That being said, I think TNA could do well with an extra 2 hours of programming so long as it allowed them the $$ to bring in some more talent and give them a fresher feel. If they weren’t bringing in more talent, I’d say just add 1 hour so that some of the guys like Joey Ryan and Christian York would have a bit more time on the show.

Point 1 - Your reasoning behind the Styles/Bad Influence angle versus Cena/Ziggler is my same thoughts. Great matches make bad angles more tolerable to me as well.

Point 3 - Trips and Punk have 3 similarities in my opinion; they both are former champions, they both played heel and face characters, and they both wrestled for VKM’s promotion. Outside of that, I can’t see any similarities in the two people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Right Peg of Doom
    You now owe me for the use of 'Drive By IWC!'

(Further response to come, legalities out the way first

I figured you’d be driving by on this one; I was wondering when the horn would be honking.

Quote Originally Posted by BECCA_IS_AWESOME
    Hi great blog very good read and it is very true how we sit here
    and think well this is what I want to see so its the only opinion that matters im not saying we cant have our favorites or dislike something more then most but jeeesh dont beat a dead horse and kill the joy someone might get out of it you wanna show loyalty.great but keep it too a healthy level so again great job with the blog speaking the truth :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Piper
    Thank you for this blog, this expresses everything I have been thinking for months

Glad to know you guys liked it. As I said it was just a rant on my part. I have grown weary of hearing people bash TNA for something without having a logical reason for not liking besides "that's dumb" or "TNA is stupid". Same goes for some TNA fans that rip apart WWE for having programming that does not primarily focus on the 18-30 demographic. If you don’t like something, I am all for hearing the reasons why, but I tend to find myself as the voice of reason (falling upon deaf ears) who will point out the facts behind the events that most make extreme absolutes about; hence the examples of WWE fans claiming TNA is the land of the dead, yet willingly admit their desires for specific wrestlers to jump ship.
    Updated 03-23-2013 at 01:20 AM by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Good stuff man. I like how you bolded the main points, it made the read slightly more fun, because you wanted to get to the bolded claim that was going to surely be followed by a logical warrant and being myself I love to see blogs that actually follow such paths. I agree as a admitted fan of WWE's current product I don't understand the need to bash TNA's current product. I think you can enjoy both shows as independent but somewhat competing entities. WWE's show while clearly more geared for children, can be raw and edgy at points which is fun. TNA's product seems to be more edgy and it's good to see an actual womans division. The fact that marks constantly want to contain themselves to one branch of the wrestling industry confuses me. It's like watching a sitcom, realizing you like the layout of that sitcom, but refusing to watch another sitcom because of some "loyalty". In short, great blog... I agree with all your general claims.
    Your blogs are too long... But I know what it says and your right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Good stuff man. I like how you bolded the main points, it made the read slightly more fun, because you wanted to get to the bolded claim that was going to surely be followed by a logical warrant and being myself I love to see blogs that actually follow such paths. I agree as a admitted fan of WWE's current product I don't understand the need to bash TNA's current product. I think you can enjoy both shows as independent but somewhat competing entities. WWE's show while clearly more geared for children, can be raw and edgy at points which is fun. TNA's product seems to be more edgy and it's good to see an actual womans division. The fact that marks constantly want to contain themselves to one branch of the wrestling industry confuses me. It's like watching a sitcom, realizing you like the layout of that sitcom, but refusing to watch another sitcom because of some "loyalty". In short, great blog... I agree with all your general claims.

I try to make reading the novels I post seem a little easier to swallow as a whole. I think one of the issues I take offense to is that there is this blatant double standard that people have when dealing with specific superstars or promotions. Many will praise whatever it is that they are a fan of for doing this specific thing, yet if another promotion/fan does something similar it’s immediately met with contempt and hatred. On the reverse side, they will rip apart one thing and turn a blind eye when their superstar/promotion does something virtually identical. I guess being an adult has steered me away from hypocrisy; especially with something as trivial to the functionality of my life as wrestling is.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MCINTYRE
    Your blogs are too long... But I know what it says and your right.

If you complain about how long my forum posts are, of course a blog written by me is going to be too long. I am not good at writing short sentences outside of simply posting smiley faces.
    All i can say is excellent blog drg. I get all of your points, and i enjoyed reading this. Kudos
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.