View RSS Feed

AttitudeEraNostalgia

The State of the WWE

Rate this Entry
Okay, so I know I am new to the site, but back in the day I was as avid a wrestling fan as there ever was. I remember watching Raw with my older brother and always staying up late so I could see The Rock in the main event. Since he has been a key figure in the past couple of years, last month I decided to humor myself in watching the WWE once again. Since that day, I have watch everything but Saturday Morning Slam. Of course, this is obvious, but wow, what a shame that the WWE has come to this. Countless movie promos? No vulgarity or pushing the edge at all? Misuse of talent mid-card champions?

The main issue I pose to all you readers is this: is this decline just in the WWE, or professional wrestling as a whole? TNA will always have the same market in my opinion: the Attitude Era who wants to satiate his thirst for wrestling nostalgia. But the fact is that Jeff Jarrett's promotion simply is not half of what McMahon's product was in its prime. Should Vince just say "Screw it!" and try to return back to that brand of wrestling, when even the lowest-card wrestlers such as The Godfather were an absolute pleasure to watch? Or is it on us, the fans, to just accept the situation for what it is? I think we do need a change and that this marketing demographic is absolutely unsustainable. Just check the annual ratings. However, some fans simply are stubborn. I hate when people say Cena cannot wrestle, because of course he can. Blame the writers for abandoning his great gimmick at the drop of a hat.

I saw an episode of SmackDown from 1999 yesterday, and I literally was jumping for joy and cheering like a kid again. A brilliant opening segment with The Rock, Triple H, and Shawn Michaels; followed by a hilarious mid-card with Al Snow. This was the episode where Michaels was the referee and gave The Rock Sweet Chin Music to help Triple H keep his championship. Is there any chance that not just the WWE, but professional wrestling as a whole, can return to this era of excitement?

Thank you so much for reading guys. I may be out of my element with this, but hopefully with some time I can have some more educated and intriguing blog posts.

All comments greatly appreciated!

Submit "The State of the WWE" to Digg Submit "The State of the WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "The State of the WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "The State of the WWE" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey i just read your blog and i have a few comments to make... i overall agree with your view of the shape wwe is in or wrestling in general it sucks right now i also have been watching wwe since i was like 5 im 23 and have gone through era after era and star after star i do agree that the attitude era in the wwe was the best ever and most likely wont happen agin in the next 20 years. here is why as much as we would all like to see that same product again it just cant hapen we cant watch stone cold and the rock wrestle for the next 10 years people age and tv companys change we just simply have the superstars of yesterday anymore yes we have very talented men and women on the roster they are just not utilized to any extent for it to change its sad we have the potential to have a great product and the wwe will always do whats good for the overall business there is a greater picture in all of this but we have to move on from the attitude era and look for the next era to just as good
    We did not know how spoiled we were when we had Austin, Rock, Mankind, Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, Kurt Angle, etc all on one show all at the same time. Most of it is hiring more charismatic wrestlers and giving them a chance to shine. Watch Raw or Smackdown from back in the day. Crap happened!! Dudleys put Torrie Wilson through a table or someone tried to kill Austin or the McMahons limo exploded. Whatever. It kept things exciting like you didn't know what you were going to see. Either TNA or WWE need to do that again. It's hard to keep pushing the envelope but they really need to deliver something that will make us go holy crap we have to watch again. It's just not there right now for either company.
    2002 to 2003 was the best 2 years. You had Rock, Austin, HHH, Taker, Kane, Foley, Lesnar, Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, E&C, Hardys, Dudleys, APA, Angle, Michaels, Goldberg, Steiner, RVD, Hall, Hogan, Nash, Batista, Orton, Cena, Flair, all on the roster at one time. We were spoiled, that's for sure.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.