View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion

Rate this Entry
So for those of you who are long time bloggers, you'll remember me from my series of Uncooked blogs, where I looked at each Raw and talked about them, or the Wrestling Blog Challenge series,, where other bloggers would go up against each other. Well, I'm dabbling back into blogs, who knows, you might even see a few Uncooked blogs from me. For this blog though, I'm taking a look at WWE and TNA, and I'm going to try and objectively compare the two companies, and share which i think is better in each specific category. Hope you guys enjoy.

Star Power

For me, I find this to be one of the big ones. On one end in the WWE, you have people like CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, The Rock, and Sheamus. When I think of TNA, I think of Sting, Hulk Hogan, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Jeff Hardy. Personally, I feel like the WWE has better star power, merely for the fact that if you went up to either a casual fan, or a non fan, and said any of those names, most people would know of John Cena and The Rock and know they are in wrestling.

Wrestling Matches

I know if I even tried to sell the idea that the WWE has better wrestling, that i would not be a true wrestling fan. For anyone who has sat down and watched a full episode of Raw, and a full episode of Impact, you'd know Impact is by far the more wrestling oriented program. They have the X-Division, they give their Knockouts more of a focus compared to the WWE Diva's, and there are other times we get PPV quality matches on Impact. I'd say every month to 2 months, we get one to two PPV quality matches on Impact. Look at the WWE. The last one we had was CM Punk vs John Cena. Before that...when was the last time you can think of a ppv quality match on Raw or Smackdown? Exactly.

Storylines

Something that is majorly important across the board for both WWE and TNA, is storylines. So lets look at some of the bigger storylines going on in the WWE and TNA recently. In the WWE, we had CM Punks super long title reign, Cena is working towards redemption, Alberto Del Rio and Jack Swagger having the mexican american vs the true american feud, and the Shield. Then look at TNA. You have the Aces and 8's angle, which encompasses a lot of things, you have the Hogan/Ray storyline, you have Aries and Roode teaming up, and the Joseph Park storyline. Personally, I think WWE beats TNA in this aspect. While they do have some long term storylines, most of them fit to where whether you are a casual fan or a die hard, you can jump in at any point and be good to go.

Development of New Stars

So in TNA, we have the gut check challenge. Originally I found this idea interesting and innovative. After a while though, it feels, i don't know, blah. Add in that, that there doesn't seem to be a lot of new talent coming out, it is either talent that wasn't being used now being used, or talent who use to be in TNA, coming back to TNA. I feel like they could do a justice in working with talent, not just the gut check people, and developing new stars. Look at WWE. In the last 6 months, new stars we've seen debut, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Big E Langston, Bo Dallas. Other than Bo Dallas, most have been utilized well, especially Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns. For me, I think the WWE wins this one.

Over All

While there will be the fans who will breath and die TNA, and fans who will breath and die WWE, I think the over all consensus is that if you want pure wrestling with a little bit of storylines and characters, go to TNA. If you want storylines with some wrestling, go WWE. While I think that TNA will never ever be big enough to compete with WWE like WCW could. That isn't a bad thing, but I think those fans living in the attitude era, or wishing we see another company vs company war that leads to a boom, will be sorrily disappointed.


So, I hope you guys enjoyed the blog! Don't go easy on me! I look forward to each persons opinion! Until next time ya'll!

Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to Digg Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Dennis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexWorldOrder
    sheeesh... Those are actually all the angles that made me feel like they were constantly insulting my intelligence -_-

    I did find the fake heart attack to be pretty good. I just wish it had a better execution.
    Pissing off smarks is not a bad thing!

    Also Drg the teddy angle might not have been great, but I will admit I got a couple of crappy chuckles out of that.
  2. bearkg88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Well, I will agree with you; to a point. I think WWE DOES have more star power. However, if you went to a casual fan or a non-fan, I think Hulk Hogan would be associated with wrestling. For those who were fans in the past (say a decade) but drifted away, Sting and Jeff Hardy would both be associated. Where I DO agree with you is that WWE has younger names bringing in the Star Power these days and that is what gets them the win in my book. Hogan and Sting shouldn’t be the most recognizable names in your wrestling company in my opinion… Just like I think The Rock shouldn’t be the WWE’s recognizable name. Also, if you are going to include The Rock, shouldn’t you have removed Sheamus and added Brock Lesnar?




    No argument here. You put this very well and I totally agree with this point.





    This is something that goes either way. TNA had the Roode reign storyline that helped to breathe life into the product. Mixed with Bully Ray as the top heel (which I believe he still is, he’s just playing the good guy at the moment) and the emergence of Bad Influence added with Austin Aries moving to the main event instead of X-Division, you could say that these stories were comparable to the WWE’s. However, you are basing this off of CURRENT stories (or how someone who started watching this week would view it) so I am not going to disagree with your stance. If a brand new fan was to view either product without a back story, I feel WWE’s story lines would win out.






    Yes, new stars HAVE debuted, but what have they done? The Shield was in 3 matches and a shit load of run ins (which oddly enough, no one complained about but claimed this killed the A&8’s angle). Bo was in the Rumble and 1 other match. Big E has the same amount of matches as Fandango at this point. New stars for TNA – DOC, since being revealed around the same time as the Shield Debut, has had more matches than the entire list of stars you quoted; combined. Add in when he and Knox were masked, plus Joey Ryan, plus Christian York, plus Kenny King… You see where I am going with this, right bear?







    I think you were accurate up until you said that TNA will never be as big as WCW. I think there IS a possibility that they could do so (look at how far they came in 10 years; imagine if they make it to 25), therefore I wouldn’t make a statement such as this (or the competition comment). I will, however, agree that they aren’t there at the moment and that over all, WWE has a better product based upon their production values, their air time on cable television, and the “superstars” they have at their disposal. Good blog, bro.
    First, yeah I made the mistake of picking Sheamus over Brock, as Brock would be the type that could bring the MMA fan in merely from Brock's history in the UFC. I still think the WWE would win, even if you looked at the backstory. While anything involving a heel Bully Ray was gold, they turned him face and have him in the boat with Brooke Hogan. I honestly hope he turns heel again as I think he is such a better heel. While I also agree that Roode's title reign was a good storyline, I disagree on Bad Influence. While Daniels and Kaz as a team is great, and they are entertaining, for a good portion of 2012 they were involved in a shitty storyline with AJ.

    When I was talking of new talent, I wasn't meaning in the case of people they have brought in. I'm meaning people they had trained, and then brought up. Much like Big E, Bo, Seth, and others spent time in NXT, honing their WWE style of wrestling before getting called up, I would relate it to TNA and OVW. When I think of talent they developed and then brought to the main scene, i would think of a lot of the gut check winners, of which none have come back to the main roster i believe.

    While of course we can't predict the future and say for certain one way or another that TNA will or won't compete against WWE,, I'm merely guesstimating based on where they are currently, and where they are heading. I think the moment they get close to competing with the WWE, the WWE will find a way to squash the company. But that is just one mans opinion.

    Thanks for the comments DRG
  3. bearkg88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexWorldOrder
    Wwe storylines actually go nowhere. What has been the last major storyline they've produced besides Punk going heel? Same shit repeats with the same exact people. My little nephew digs them, so I guess it does the job for what Vince is trying to accomplish.
    Here is the thing though. In all of wrestling, storylines will always repeat. The only thing that will change is who is involved, and little twists within it, but for the most part, there is no originality in wrestling, just refreshing. It all comes down to how they pull it off if it is remember as successful or a dud.
  4. bearkg88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan
    Personally, I think TNA has the potential to grow large enough to compete with the WWE one day. You'd just have to consider the head start and legacy WWE has and why it maybe bit more challenging for TNA to do so vs WCW.

    WCW began the "attitude era" as we knew it by forcing the then WWF to introduce a more edgier product to remain competitive. Well, the simple thing to assume would be for TNA to do the same now that the WWE has chosen to revert to a PG format. However, the "attitude era" was so edgy that its a bit difficult to come up with those original ideas or to do something that new and exciting that hasn't already been done before.

    This is what WCW was able to do but TNA is challenged with due to it being birthed on the heels of that time period. Its growth will be much slower but it will grow nonetheless. Since 2003, the company has come a long way and has made a lot of huge acquisitions along the way. But they need to "pull a WCW gets Hogan" and find that one defining action that solidifies them as serious threat to the WWE...I think that is what's going to make the difference moving forward.
    Personally, I feel like you do have a point in the whole TNA needs to do the whole pulling in a huge name. The only name I can honestly think of that would create a buzz, like Hogan, is Cena. Some might take a dig at me for it, but take an honest second to think about it, and I think you'll see my point
  5. bearkg88's Avatar
    Denny, you do remember the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy angle from last year’s WM, right?

    I don't think this angle was horrible, but it wasn't good. I think it could have been ok if it was at any other PPV, but didn't fit for WM.

    How about "Embrace the Hate"?

    I actually enjoyed this storyline, except for the ending of the feud.

    Or the angle that WWE did similar to the AJ baby angle... AJ Lee / John Cena / Vickie Guerrero scandal...

    I wouldn't compare the AJ Styles baby angle to the Lee/Cena/Guerrero angle. While they were both "love" angles, there were to many differences to simply say they were mirrors of each other because of the "love" spin.

    AJ Lee as GM?

    Ok...you've got a point there.

    Brock losing to Cena immediately after returning from a LONG absence?

    I guess it comes down to perspective. I remember that match, not for Cena winning, but for Brock beating the shit out of Cena.

    18 seconds to open Mania?

    Ok..good point.

    The Fake Heart Attack?

    I actually enjoyed this. Some call it distasteful, but it served its purpose.

    Survivor Series Scramble angle that added Cena to the match... Almost the night of the PPV?

    Ok...another good point

  6. Darkside Ron Garvin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    the AJ story lines were actually very enjoyable to me...

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    While they were both "love" angles, there were to many differences to simply say they were mirrors of each other because of the "love" spin.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I found these AJ storylines overkill and she seemed to trend downward in appeal once she became this kind of superstar. One of the better wrestlers in the Divas division was just a toy passed around from superstar to superstar, thus making her appeal that of a walking Petri dish rather than a credible Valet.

    And bear – I don’t think the stories where “identical” but they were similar in the accusations of having an affair. The major difference; at least both AJ and Dixie were married. Cena and AJ Lee were both single so I don’t see how it was an affair.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Brock losing was the smart business move.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    I guess it comes down to perspective. I remember that match, not for Cena winning, but for Brock beating the shit out of Cena.

    They bring back one of the most controversial names involving the WWE in the past decade and have him “negotiate” with Mr. Excitement, Johnny Ace in a hostile takeover angle due to contract negotiations. The loss was smart for business, but they killed his momentum within a month of his return by putting his weaknesses on display rather than hiding them as they later did with Paul Heyman. This was the storyline involved; not the match that your remember, bear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    The 18 second match Daniel bryan has accredited with getting him over

    Denny – Daniel Bryan got over thanks to the fans not letting him be buried for this; he got over in spite of the 18 seconds, not because of it. You do see the difference, don’t you Denny?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    The embrace the hate story line I also liked

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    I actually enjoyed this storyline, except for the ending of the feud.

    It killed Ryder’s push (okay, this might not be the worst thing), the acting from Kane and Cena was pretty horrid, and the end of the feud did what? Outside of killing off Ryder that is...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    I can't recall the scramble thing you are talking about

    Cena vs. Punk – Cena gets hurt so they sub in Ryback. Cena is cleared the week before the event. After the build to the Ryback/Punk match, magically Cena gets added with no real reason why he should be involved in their match (outside of the fact that it is Cena).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    He's a heel and he used a real life event to get over more as a heel.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    I actually enjoyed this. Some call it distasteful, but it served its purpose.

    Fair enough. Heyman is a heel so that is understandable if this is all you viewed it as. To me personally, when a staff member basically dies on screen and the moment he returns, you mock him for it is almost as distasteful as having the same heart attack victim eat fried and fatty foods on the television to make sponsors happy... Oh wait.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    While anything involving a heel Bully Ray was gold, they turned him face... I honestly hope he turns heel again as I think he is such a better heel... I disagree on Bad Influence... for a good portion of 2012 they were involved in a shitty storyline with AJ.

    I agree WWE wins, but I see Bully turning face wasn’t to make him a “good guy” but to propel him when he returns heel over this A&8’s thing, so I still think its gold. As for Bad Influence – They are the only reason why the Claire Lynch thing was bearable. Their comedy mocked the obviously shitty angle and that’s a win in my book.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    When I think of talent they developed and then brought to the main scene, i would think of a lot of the gut check winners, of which none have come back to the main roster i believe.

    This is the difference though – If the work the developmental talent is doing in NXT counts for WWE guys, the OVW work should count for the TNA guys. You have seen the NXT stuff, but you haven’t seen OVW, have you (not to mention, how long were all of those superstars in NXT before debuting versus how long the GutCheck guys have been in OVW)? If not, keep the lines balanced and grade them only by what is witnessed on the main shows; not what has been done in developmental.

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    I think the moment they get close to competing with the WWE, the WWE will find a way to squash the company. But that is just one mans opinion.

    Like I said, you are entitled to this opinion and I see where you generated. I respectfully disagree, and that is acceptable cross roads to leave it at as only time will tell where the path will lead TNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearkg88
    I don't think this angle was horrible, but it wasn't good. I think it could have been ok if it was at any other PPV, but didn't fit for WM.

    The angle had some moments but overall, it meant having to listen to Mr. Excitement and I just found that to be very annoying.
  7. 5 Finger Death Punch's Avatar
    You said it "BROTHER"! I compare TNA (favorably) to WCW/Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling...good wrestling, with a bit of bravato...fightin' it out...not stories written in tabloids, internet spoilers(CENA/ROCK). Plus, for a while the biggest star was AJ Lee, until they kept messing with her story. WWE had a great thing going with PUNK, until they killed it themselves, turning him HEEL! The Shield followed A&E. WWE has a loud mouth old wrestler/actor for champion...TNA has a former WWE champion...maybe he will lose to Hulk Hogan! My VOTE is for TNA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihltygre
    i disagree on storyline, personally i think the TNA storylines are better, i would love to see TNA really get some traction and become a force because that kind of competition is what's good for the industry
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.