View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion

Rate this Entry
So for those of you who are long time bloggers, you'll remember me from my series of Uncooked blogs, where I looked at each Raw and talked about them, or the Wrestling Blog Challenge series,, where other bloggers would go up against each other. Well, I'm dabbling back into blogs, who knows, you might even see a few Uncooked blogs from me. For this blog though, I'm taking a look at WWE and TNA, and I'm going to try and objectively compare the two companies, and share which i think is better in each specific category. Hope you guys enjoy.

Star Power

For me, I find this to be one of the big ones. On one end in the WWE, you have people like CM Punk, John Cena, Randy Orton, The Rock, and Sheamus. When I think of TNA, I think of Sting, Hulk Hogan, Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, Jeff Hardy. Personally, I feel like the WWE has better star power, merely for the fact that if you went up to either a casual fan, or a non fan, and said any of those names, most people would know of John Cena and The Rock and know they are in wrestling.

Wrestling Matches

I know if I even tried to sell the idea that the WWE has better wrestling, that i would not be a true wrestling fan. For anyone who has sat down and watched a full episode of Raw, and a full episode of Impact, you'd know Impact is by far the more wrestling oriented program. They have the X-Division, they give their Knockouts more of a focus compared to the WWE Diva's, and there are other times we get PPV quality matches on Impact. I'd say every month to 2 months, we get one to two PPV quality matches on Impact. Look at the WWE. The last one we had was CM Punk vs John Cena. Before that...when was the last time you can think of a ppv quality match on Raw or Smackdown? Exactly.

Storylines

Something that is majorly important across the board for both WWE and TNA, is storylines. So lets look at some of the bigger storylines going on in the WWE and TNA recently. In the WWE, we had CM Punks super long title reign, Cena is working towards redemption, Alberto Del Rio and Jack Swagger having the mexican american vs the true american feud, and the Shield. Then look at TNA. You have the Aces and 8's angle, which encompasses a lot of things, you have the Hogan/Ray storyline, you have Aries and Roode teaming up, and the Joseph Park storyline. Personally, I think WWE beats TNA in this aspect. While they do have some long term storylines, most of them fit to where whether you are a casual fan or a die hard, you can jump in at any point and be good to go.

Development of New Stars

So in TNA, we have the gut check challenge. Originally I found this idea interesting and innovative. After a while though, it feels, i don't know, blah. Add in that, that there doesn't seem to be a lot of new talent coming out, it is either talent that wasn't being used now being used, or talent who use to be in TNA, coming back to TNA. I feel like they could do a justice in working with talent, not just the gut check people, and developing new stars. Look at WWE. In the last 6 months, new stars we've seen debut, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Big E Langston, Bo Dallas. Other than Bo Dallas, most have been utilized well, especially Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns. For me, I think the WWE wins this one.

Over All

While there will be the fans who will breath and die TNA, and fans who will breath and die WWE, I think the over all consensus is that if you want pure wrestling with a little bit of storylines and characters, go to TNA. If you want storylines with some wrestling, go WWE. While I think that TNA will never ever be big enough to compete with WWE like WCW could. That isn't a bad thing, but I think those fans living in the attitude era, or wishing we see another company vs company war that leads to a boom, will be sorrily disappointed.

So, I hope you guys enjoyed the blog! Don't go easy on me! I look forward to each persons opinion! Until next time ya'll!

Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to Digg Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE vs TNA: One Mans Opinion" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    i disagree on storyline, personally i think the TNA storylines are better, i would love to see TNA really get some traction and become a force because that kind of competition is what's good for the industry
    Star Power
    Personally, I feel like the WWE has better star power, merely for the fact that if you went up to either a casual fan, or a non fan, and said any of those names, most people would know of John Cena and The Rock and know they are in wrestling.

Well, I will agree with you; to a point. I think WWE DOES have more star power. However, if you went to a casual fan or a non-fan, I think Hulk Hogan would be associated with wrestling. For those who were fans in the past (say a decade) but drifted away, Sting and Jeff Hardy would both be associated. Where I DO agree with you is that WWE has younger names bringing in the Star Power these days and that is what gets them the win in my book. Hogan and Sting shouldn’t be the most recognizable names in your wrestling company in my opinion… Just like I think The Rock shouldn’t be the WWE’s recognizable name. Also, if you are going to include The Rock, shouldn’t you have removed Sheamus and added Brock Lesnar?

Wrestling Matches
    No argument here. You put this very well and I totally agree with this point.

Storylines
    While they do have some long term storylines, most of them fit to where whether you are a casual fan or a die hard, you can jump in at any point and be good to go.

This is something that goes either way. TNA had the Roode reign storyline that helped to breathe life into the product. Mixed with Bully Ray as the top heel (which I believe he still is, he’s just playing the good guy at the moment) and the emergence of Bad Influence added with Austin Aries moving to the main event instead of X-Division, you could say that these stories were comparable to the WWE’s. However, you are basing this off of CURRENT stories (or how someone who started watching this week would view it) so I am not going to disagree with your stance. If a brand new fan was to view either product without a back story, I feel WWE’s story lines would win out.

Development of New Stars
    Look at WWE; In the last 6 months, new stars we've seen debut, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Big E Langston, Bo Dallas. Other than Bo Dallas, most have been utilized well, especially Rollins, Ambrose, and Reigns. For me, I think the WWE wins this one.

Yes, new stars HAVE debuted, but what have they done? The Shield was in 3 matches and a shit load of run ins (which oddly enough, no one complained about but claimed this killed the A&8’s angle). Bo was in the Rumble and 1 other match. Big E has the same amount of matches as Fandango at this point. New stars for TNA – DOC, since being revealed around the same time as the Shield Debut, has had more matches than the entire list of stars you quoted; combined. Add in when he and Knox were masked, plus Joey Ryan, plus Christian York, plus Kenny King… You see where I am going with this, right bear?

Over All
    While I think that TNA will never ever be big enough to compete with WWE like WCW could. That isn't a bad thing, but I think those fans living in the attitude era, or wishing we see another company vs company war that leads to a boom, will be sorrily disappointed.

I think you were accurate up until you said that TNA will never be as big as WCW. I think there IS a possibility that they could do so (look at how far they came in 10 years; imagine if they make it to 25), therefore I wouldn’t make a statement such as this (or the competition comment). I will, however, agree that they aren’t there at the moment and that over all, WWE has a better product based upon their production values, their air time on cable television, and the “superstars” they have at their disposal. Good blog, bro.
    ok wwe wrestlers are more talanted. besides the xdivision in tna not much other wrestlers can wrestle against wwe wrestlers. wwe makes sure the characters can talk on the mic and wrestle, tna can give a crap about that, why dont you look at briscoe in tna, he sucks on the mic and cant wrestle for shit. the storylines are good in wwe and tna is a crap pile just getting higher and higher, i watch tna but if i miss a few weeks of it i can catch up b ut if i miss 2 weeks of wwe i need to catch up by looking online etc....
    Personally, I think TNA has the potential to grow large enough to compete with the WWE one day. You'd just have to consider the head start and legacy WWE has and why it maybe bit more challenging for TNA to do so vs WCW.

WCW began the "attitude era" as we knew it by forcing the then WWF to introduce a more edgier product to remain competitive. Well, the simple thing to assume would be for TNA to do the same now that the WWE has chosen to revert to a PG format. However, the "attitude era" was so edgy that its a bit difficult to come up with those original ideas or to do something that new and exciting that hasn't already been done before.

This is what WCW was able to do but TNA is challenged with due to it being birthed on the heels of that time period. Its growth will be much slower but it will grow nonetheless. Since 2003, the company has come a long way and has made a lot of huge acquisitions along the way. But they need to "pull a WCW gets Hogan" and find that one defining action that solidifies them as serious threat to the WWE...I think that is what's going to make the difference moving forward.
    Stihltygre, Do you remember the aj styles baby storyline? WWE is much more creative IMO in their storylines, and give them their due diligence and be done with them. With the exclusion of the anonymous gm.
    By the way Bear, good blog I agree with your points and you give a clear claim, warrant, and impact for those points.
    Wwe storylines actually go nowhere. What has been the last major storyline they've produced besides Punk going heel? Same shit repeats with the same exact people. My little nephew digs them, so I guess it does the job for what Vince is trying to accomplish.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.