View RSS Feed

Dashing Rachel

Babyfaces vs. Heels: Why the WWE tends to favor the babyface?

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
It's a forgone conclusion when it comes to getting pushed in the WWE. In the days of the TV-PG era, the babyface is usually the one who tends to be pushed more often than the heels. The reason of course is that babyface Superstars such as John Cena, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Ryback, and even Brodus Clay are getting more wins than their heel counterparts is very simple: the babyfaces are portrayed as superheroes. In other words, legendary superheroes such as Superman or Batman never lose, and so do the WWE babyfaces as these win-loss record portray a disturbing pattern:

BABYFACES (as of 2/23/2013)

SHEAMUS: 13-4-2
ALBERTO DEL RIO: 12-0-0
RANDY ORTON: 11-6-1
THE MIZ: 9-4-0
DANIEL BRYAN: 8-7-0
KANE: 8-7-0
BRODUS CLAY: 7-3-0
TENSAI: 6-4-0
THE GREAT KHALI: 6-6-0
KOFI KINGSTON: 6-8-0
JOHN CENA: 5-1-0
RYBACK: 5-4-0

HEELS (as of 2/23/2013)

JACK SWAGGER: 9-0-0
BIG SHOW: 7-6-0
WADE BARRETT: 6-8-1
ANTONIO CESARO: 6-10-1
MARK HENRY: 4-1-0
DOLPH ZIGGLER: 4-10-0
DAMIEN SANDOW: 4-11-1
CM PUNK: 3-2-0
CODY RHODES: 3-13-0

Notice the difference? Of all the heels in the WWE, only Swagger has an undefeated record. On the other hand, guys like Sheamus, Del Rio, and Cena all have great records with Del Rio being undefeated so far.

And so, there you have it. Why it pays to be a babyface in the WWE.

Submit "Babyfaces vs. Heels: Why the WWE tends to favor the babyface?" to Digg Submit "Babyfaces vs. Heels: Why the WWE tends to favor the babyface?" to del.icio.us Submit "Babyfaces vs. Heels: Why the WWE tends to favor the babyface?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Babyfaces vs. Heels: Why the WWE tends to favor the babyface?" to Google

Comments

I'ved been noticing that heels pretty much loose every match at every show or ppv. I don't se the point. Heels need more wins to make the fueds more interesting. Can't have a credible heel if they loose every single match. Face should have an uphill battle. Yes Superman and Batman always win at the end but it is never an easy win. WWE is making it easy wins for faces. So how am I suppose to believe that a face could still loose a match but still want to see them win. I always rooting for the heels to win these days, lets face it, they are the underdog in matches. A face should always be the underdog in a match where you build sympathy for the face, not the heel.
    I think this comes down to merchandise more than being a super hero. I don't necessarily disagree with you but I believe the faces are pushed because more than half of the fans root for the faces and against the heels. As a result, the fans want to see the faces win and the majority of the fans buy face merchandise opposed to heel merchandise. The Mysterio mask is a great sell which is one of the reasons I believe he will never turn heel. I believe WWE would actually consider turning Cena heel if he could still be a cash cow as a heel.

Those win/loss statistics are astounding. I would never have thought it would be that lopsided. Nice blog.
    But does it matter the win loss record? It's not like their's playoffs. There are times when the faces lose alot and the heels get wins.
    That is correct. Much of the blame is on John Cena's "Super Cena" gimmick. Ditto for Randy Orton, Sheamus, etc.
    I think part of it is that WWE thinks fans won't put up with the heel being strong for a long time nowdays Triple H circa 2000 style or Hollywood Hogan in 1997. Would have been different if CM Punk was a heel when he won the belt.

Although, you have to give them credit for letting The Shield win. Any surprise that the one heel faction they let win is getting very over with the crowd?? WWE ruined the NWO, Nexus, and a number of other factions because of a fear of letting their good guys look weak. It's the biggest problem with the Aces and Eights storyline in TNA. Sting and Kurt Angle especially are not allowed to look like they can lose to these guys so what's the fear of having them invade??
    Cesaro's record is the best at the moment; wins every title match, loses every non title match.
    WWE Merchandise from www.wwegifts.com includes a huge variety of WWE Clothes, WWE Gift UK, Shirts, Hats, Wristbands at everyday low discounted prices. WWE SHOP Satisfies All WWE Wrestling Merchanidise Needs For The Wrestling Fan In All Of Us

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.