View RSS Feed

The Punk

The Punk: UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche Review

Rate this Entry
UFC 157 is a historical event. A couple of years ago, outspoken president Dana White affirmed that there was no place for women in his organisation...ever. Women's MMA has been unfairly labelled as a gimmick and a sport that females have no right to compete in. Our world is changing and so too is Dana White's attitude. This event sees the first ever Women's bout in UFC history as the ultra popular "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey defends her title againt perennial underdog, and the first openly gay fighter in the UFC, former Marine Liz Carmouche. With an unblemished record consisting of six wins out of six, all by the way of an armbar in the first round, can the Olympic medalist Rousey continue her winning ways or will Carmouche pull off one of the biggest upsets ever? Lets fight!

Bout One - Welterweight
Robbie Lawler vs. Josh Koscheck

Making his first Octagon appearance in almost a decade, Robbie Lawler's return matched him against the former number one contender, veteran wrestler Josh Koscheck. Once considered the Mike Tyson of MMA, Lawler started quickly and brightly by utilising his superior standing game. Koscheck, eager to get the fight to his preferred position, did so but ate a couple of nasty ground shots before referee Herb Dean abruptly called for the stoppage. A questionable call but it was clear that Kos was rocked and failed to have his hands up. Lawler's return couldn't have gone any better in this short, but exciting upset opener.

Winner: Robbie Lawler via TKO (Punches) in Round 1

Fight Rating: ***.5/5

Bout Two - Welterweight

Josh Neer vs. Court McGee

Considered one of the weaker bouts on the card before the event started, these two combatants went all out in a surprisingly decent midcard slugfest. McGee, making his first appearance in the Welterweight division, dominated the fight using his cardio and strength to negate the attempted haymakers from his opponent. Neer is a well rounded fighter but looked out of his depth against McGee who was also hoping to avoid a three fight losing streak. With the expected cull of over 100 fighters imminent, this could very well be the last time we see "The Dentist" in a UFC promoted bout.

Winner: Court McGee via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)

Fight Rating: ***.5/5

Bout Three - Bantamweight

Ivan Menjivar vs. Urijah Faber

After Faber's disappointing last outing, he needed a strong performance to stay in the crowded Bantamweight title picture. This bout may have been lopsided in the bookies eyes but Menjivar is still a difficult fight for anyone. Unfortunately for "The Pride of El Salvador" Faber obviously didn't get the memo. Blitzing his beleaguered opponent with nasty grounded elbows and relentless transitions, "The California Kid" didn't need long to take Menjivar's back and was eventually able to transition into an excellent standing rear naked choke which inevitably lead to the tap. An quick but exciting fight and impressive stuff from Faber who looks hellbent on completing his trilogy with reigning champion Dominick Cruz.

Winner: Urijah Faber via Submission (Standing Rear Naked Choke) in Round 1

Fight Rating: ****/5

Bout Four - Light-Heavyweight

Dan Henderson vs. Lyoto Machida

Considered by traditionalists as the real main event for the evening, these fans were silenced however after 15 minutes of disappointment. Both men have a history of engaging in classic fights but that's not what we got here. Machida, well advised of Hendo's brutal knockout power, took a leaf out of Carlos Condit's playbook as he ducked and avoided the aggressive onslaught of his American opponent. "The Dragon" was able to score with some trademark kicks and takedown defence and in the end, his minimal work was enough to secure a tight split decision. Henderson's frustration mirrored our own. Poor stuff.

Winner: Lyoto Machida via Split Decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Fight Rating: **/5

Bout Five - Women's Bantamweight Championship

Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Liz Carmouche

As if those opposed to this fight being the main event instead of Machida/Henderson weren't silenced already, they certainly were here. Deafening ovations for both fighters meant they had won before the historic bout had even begun! Rousey has won each of her six previous fights by armbar and has spent less than 10 minutes in a cage in her career. Carmouche didn't let this faze her however as she dashed out to meet her champion adversary in a wild exchange. Rousey, looking to take the fight to the ground quickly was then caught out and nearly submitted when the "Girlrilla" took her back and locked in a deadly looking neck crank. "Rowdy" wasn't to be denied, however, and the fight eventually went to the ground where the champion locked in her signature armbar to end the fight just before the bell. The main event lived up to it's hype and both combatants did themselves, and their gender proud, proving once and for all that women have a rightful place in this great sport.

Winner and STILL champion: Ronda Rousey via Submission (Armbar) in Round 1

Fight Rating: ****.5/5

Overview:
A historic event which largely lived up to expectations. The main card was able to match the excitement of the brilliant preliminary bouts too! The Machida/Henderson fight ironically was the biggest disappointment of the night as the women stole the show with a gritty, exciting encounter. A night of submissions over knockouts, UFC 157 was an exciting watch and a triumph that should act as an inspiration to the legions of aspiring fighters, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.

PPV Rating: ****.5/5

KO of the Night: Robbie Lawler
Submission of the Night: Urijah Faber
Fight of the Night: Bermudez/Grice - PRELIM BOUT. If you didn't see this bout, make sure you do. A possible fight of the year contender.

That'll do it for now. Hope you've enjoyed this entry. Feel free to leave your views and feedback in the comments section. For more news and reviews on MMA, WWE, Film and TV, head over to my site by clicking HERE or follow me on Twitter. Cheers!

Submit "The Punk: UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche Review" to Digg Submit "The Punk: UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche Review" to del.icio.us Submit "The Punk: UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Punk: UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche Review" to Google

Updated 02-24-2013 at 07:34 PM by The Punk

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Please don't post MMA stuff on this site. I know it's a case of "well you knew what you were getting when you clicked on it" but MMA has nothing to do with wrestling. Just because you see Ryan Clark posting UFC garbage does not mean you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    Please don't post MMA stuff on this site. I know it's a case of "well you knew what you were getting when you clicked on it" but MMA has nothing to do with wrestling. Just because you see Ryan Clark posting UFC garbage does not mean you should.
    Do you have anything to do with the everyday running of this site? If so, sure sorry about that.

If not, no. This website may be dedicated primarily to Pro Wrestling but there are still a select few who happen to enjoy the MMA/UFC stories posted by Ryan. These blogs are for those select few.

As you mentioned, you know what you get when you click on this post. I appreciate your opinion and feedback but if you don't like it...don't click on it!
    Zero issue with MMA blogs, I've seen Ryan post the occasional MMA stories, when there's a big card on like Silva v Sonnen for e.g. I did order this PPV, good show but the Main event really saved it to be honest as that Co Main event brought the show down , Machida has go away heat as a far as im concerned and a Title rematch with Jones is about as interesting as Paint Drying, like The Punk Mentioned, if your not a MMA fan, thats fine, but no ones forcing you to click on MMA blogs, Grice v Bermudez was amazing, if your trying to introduce MMA to a new fan, that would be a fight I would show them.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie09
    Zero issue with MMA blogs, I've seen Ryan post the occasional MMA stories, when there's a big card on like Silva v Sonnen for e.g. I did order this PPV, good show but the Main event really saved it to be honest as that Co Main event brought the show down , Machida has go away heat as a far as im concerned and a Title rematch with Jones is about as interesting as Paint Drying, like The Punk Mentioned, if your not a MMA fan, thats fine, but no ones forcing you to click on MMA blogs, Grice v Bermudez was amazing, if your trying to introduce MMA to a new fan, that would be a fight I would show them.
    Yeah the Hendo/Machida fight was pretty awful but his fight with Jones has the potential to be just as good as their first at UFC 140. I quite liked that fight so fingers crossed we get more of the same.

Totally agree with you on Grice vs. Bermudez. I've only just started watching the prelim fights...glad I made the decision to do so!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV123
    Who are you to judge what should be posted? I run the MMA Contests and have seen the interest in MMA pick up since I joined this site. I've also posted blogs about MMA, and Frank - The Owner of this site is willing to let us post blogs about MMA, there's even an MMA section in the forums if you would take the time to look.

So please quit acting like your the head honcho around here. You didn't have to read the blog if you didn't like the subject. Grow up a bit.
    I think your points are pretty spot on here with the bouts that took place, and you've done a decent job of grabbing the reader's attention. So..... Good Review Blog Bro.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.