View RSS Feed

Deadman_87

Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger: A British Perspective

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
DISCLAIMER: I am British, and will be disucussing American politics in this blog, it is accurate to the best of my knowledge but please forgive me if get certain facts wrong.

So Jack Swagger (quite surpisngly) won the elimination chamber on sunday night, and with the odds of Ziggler cashing in before Wrestlemania looking very low, we have a very interesting feud on our hands.

Swagger’s new manager, Zeb Coulter has been saying some very racist things on TV, which will give Swagger meteroic levels of hate going into Wrestlemania. This suits the WWE, perfectly, as Del Rio has only just turned face, and what better way to get everyone behind him than make him feud with a racist heel.

Theres been a bit of outrage on the internet, but lets face it, WWE has done a lot of risky things before. Even involving racism. one recent event which comes to mind is JBL and his border patrol when he was feuding with Eddie Guerrero.

To be honest, i don’t thing racism is the real issue here. Don’t get me wrong, the ‘WWE Universe’ will see this as a racist feud, which againwhich is what they want. And at at the end of the day, its a racist heel, not a racist face. (when their roadshow rolls into some hick state/town Swagger will start getting cheers though). But what’s underlying this is possibly more sinister…

The commentators have opening been calling Swagger and Coulter racists and xenophobic, but it is some of their other remarks during his match this week on raw against Daniel Bryan, where Lawler mentions that Swagger has been getting ‘fan mail’ from Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck and Alex Jones, who are all linked to the American Tea party.

For my British readers… the Tea party are very akin to the BNP: polices focues on immigration and most importantly they have a media image smeared with racism…

But lets look past the racism for a second, the WWE are well known advcates of the Republicans; Linda McMahon ran as a Repuclican last year. And my understanding of the matter is the the Republicans hate the Tea Party with a burning passion.

now, its not unheard of for Television shows to support political parties attack others… the BNP always gets bashed by British mainstream media. But theirs a thin line between attacking someone within your rights and making inflamatory remarks, and with the WWE overtly calling Swagger racist, its a tough call.

Also WWE’s audience and reach is a factor here. They reach millions of viewers in America alone, and therefore have a responibility to the public they serve. Also WWE’s product is self-admittedly ‘PG’: meaning aimed at children, who could be considered a vunreble audience. Opinion’s gained at a young age usually stick for life.

To put hardcore political rehtoric guised by racism in a TV Show aimed primarily at children is a bit unnerving isn’t it?

And in my opinion, The Tea party, racist or not, have a valid point to make on immigration and have a right to be heard.

Mentioning well knownTea party supporters by name seems really idiotic, and could get the WWE in trouble. Lets face it though, this is only week 1 of a 5/6 week buildup to the match at Wresltemania, lets see how far Vince is willing to take it….

Submit "Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger: A British Perspective" to Digg Submit "Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger: A British Perspective" to del.icio.us Submit "Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger: A British Perspective" to StumbleUpon Submit "Alberto Del Rio vs Jack Swagger: A British Perspective" to Google

Updated 02-20-2013 at 09:52 AM by Deadman_87

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So am i the only one that doesnt see swagger and zeb as racist? I mean so far theyve really only been talking about those that come into america illegally and still reap our benefits. I mean, there are a lot of people in america that would like to see that fixed, and personally i think its bs that my tax dollars support those that are here without a green card and show no initiative to fix that and/or get a job. So how is that racist? Anyways, i still think its cool theyve finally gotten behind swagger and gave him a believable gimmick. I hope he rides this new found momentum straight to the top. "WE THE PEOPLE!"
    People wanted edgier stuff, and here you are.
    The Tea Party is more of a faction of the Republican Party. Their views are extreme, and a lot of Republicans realize now that they are hurting the party, but i certainly wouldn't say republicans hate them with a burning passion. 99% of Tea Party members are Republicans.
    I don't know, If somebody on belgian TV says: trow all North Africans back to way they came from, I think we got a moslim riot on our hands ... but on the other hand, we in Belgium are way to soft :s

I for one, love the Swagger gimmick and I hope they are going somewhere with it, I just hope everbody understands this is fake as hell and don't do something stupid because WWE is 'racist"
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    So am i the only one that doesnt see swagger and zeb as racist? I mean so far theyve really only been talking about those that come into america illegally and still reap our benefits. I mean, there are a lot of people in america that would like to see that fixed, and personally i think its bs that my tax dollars support those that are here without a green card and show no initiative to fix that and/or get a job. So how is that racist? Anyways, i still think its cool theyve finally gotten behind swagger and gave him a believable gimmick. I hope he rides this new found momentum straight to the top. "WE THE PEOPLE!"
    I don't find them racist, just annoying and stupid.
    Good blog but just spell check it with word next time, the text feels rushed and the mistakes as a result of it makes it annoying to read which shouldn't be the case
    Umm...I don't think Swagger is going to WrestleMania anymore...hell, even if he does, its only a 50-50 chance.

He got busted for DUI and possesion of Marijuana. He'll be lucky to even wrestle for WWE again, let alone WrestleMania. If he only gets a suspension, he will most likely only be gone for 30 days and make it back in time for Mania. But still...its a breach of contract to get arrested in possesion of non-prescribed drugs and can be terminated on the spot. A suspension will actually be his best outcome.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.