View RSS Feed

Mikee Riggs

CM Punk: Best in the World?

Rate this Entry
Ok so this is my first blog. I was very hesistant about doing this mostly because I don't know to much about how this community works. In the time I've been reading here its become apart that everyone has an opinion. That said I am writing this more for the dialogue that will follow.
I have been watching wrestling for years now, many years. I understand the lingo I know the terminology and I get thought process behind the scenes. With all that I see a lot of mixed feeling on CM Punk.

Personally of all the current WWE roster CM Punk is my favorite on the list. I enjoy many others, and I'm not making this into a who's better conversation. I am stating this so my opinion is made honest and visible from the beginning. So for those of you that are not fans of Punk my question is why?

It seems obvious that Punk can handle the Mic and that his skills on it are pretty much the standard by which others currently active should be judged. His ability to engage a crowd and invoke response in them is uncanny. Plus you have to add to this the fact that regardless of his stance (Face/Heel) he manages to remain engaging.

Speaking of this Face/Heel transition, I've always been under the impression that this was a sign of being one of the greats. People Like Chris Jericho and The Rock withstand the test of time because whether they were good or bad they still remained engaging. Jericho has spent most of his WWE time as a heel and still manages to have fans screaming for him. It's not because he's good or bad it's because he managed to ensnare the crowd with his ring and mic abilities and in the end that's all we remember.

As far as his in ring ability goes I find Punk to be a solid wrestler. He has both technical and basic moves in his move set and has the ability to improvise and move on the fly. He has shed a lot of his ROH moves but still has them available to throw out for the old school fans if he chooses. That said I have some issues with the GTS as a finisher mainly because I find that at times it can be a hard sell.

So all these things considered my main points in addition to this are based on CM Punk as a person. His ties to the punk/hardcore scene lead to subculture appeal and his never ending comic book reading helps his nerd appeal. The man is so relatable in his interests it makes him a current day Steve Austin. Austin sold well because he appealed to the working class ideal, in this day and age of Nerd Chic a counter culture approachable character like CM Punk works. Not to mention how incredibly marketable the Straight Edge lifestyle could have been in the PG era. The guy could have been a walk DARE campaign.

Does CM Punk work for me as a heel, Yes. Does he work better as a face, I believe so. That said he still is one of the best heels in the business. When it's all said and done he will be remembered as one of the best of his time period.

So I ask you the community for your opinions. Be honest and be direct I am not the type to shy away from an open dialogue and look forward to maybe learning something I didn't know. I thank you for reading and humbly ask you to not rip apart my grammar and spelling. I know it's bad I will work on it.

Submit "CM Punk: Best in the World?" to Digg Submit "CM Punk: Best in the World?" to del.icio.us Submit "CM Punk: Best in the World?" to StumbleUpon Submit "CM Punk: Best in the World?" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wanna answer the thoughts that intrigue me in order.
    Dennis- Tweener Punk is Posicore Punk in my Head. That was Punk being closer to himself and living the PMA lifestyle his buddy Toby from H2O preaches.
    Weems- Both Austin and Punk are Anti Heros. Neither character is a good guy who wants to right wrong they are both self motivated and DTA as austin used to put on his vest
    Johnny- Thanks for the video and I can get behind you on that
    Akshat- Cena is the top because the kids love him and ladies enjoy looking at him same for orton but both have lack luster mic skills compared to punk and both have trouble being more then a cookie cutter product in the ring (5 moves of doom)
    Toiletbowl- The initial Pipe bomb was born from pure frustration its gonna be impossible to top in a lot of ways since he has been given all the things he wanted from the beginning. That said lately on the Mic this heel Punk has been tough to watch since the royal rumble I feel like that ending of that match was handled poorly. That said punk needs to venture back into the grey area neither a heel nor a face just his own guy. Orton or Cena needs to go heel and Ryback needs to dissappear from the main event landscape that dude is terrible.
    Punk Is indeed the best of this "era",but certainly not the best in the world.
    I'm a Huge CM Punk Fan,I had the chance to go watch many ROH shows back when Punk was there,I was very happy to see him make it in the E,I felt like the straight edge society was very underestimated but did make punk have great moments on smackdown,and,finnaly when the punk "era" started,I felt like since a long time,someone with Both mic skills and great wrestling skills made it to the top,not someone who's kissing HHH asses or making kids talk about wrestling like if it was a cartoon shitwork show.
    But,to say the truth,CM Punk may be very brillant in this era and this time,but to say he's the best in the word and "believe it" would be dumb
    The best in the world should be accepted as a Gimmick,and that's what punk is doing,but nothing more!!
    He have Great mic skills,but when you see him trying sooo haaaaard to pown the crowd and make em boo him with the use sometime of arguments that doesn't even make sense,and then you watch a HHH promo from his evolution days,you understand that Punk mic skills are great,but not the greatest.
    When You watch a CM Punk vs Y2J march,and then Watch HBK Vs Y2J from wrestlemania 19(I used such an exemple so nobody would use the hardcore factor as excuse,here is a match,dq rules,only about wrestling skills) You understand that Punk is a great athlete,but not the greatest!
    But it would be disrespect to say that Punk ain't the best right now,Because no matter how you look at it,Great matches are given by punk right now,great promo that sometime make you excited are done by punk too,And compared to Cena limited wrestling skills and Randy orton boring matches and promos,Punk is tearing them up!
    Updated 02-11-2013 at 07:01 PM by Ahmed Jens Ben Arfa
    At the moment punk is the best on show, in my opinion, all round. In a few years it will be Ambrose
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.