View RSS Feed

Dashing Rachel

The evolution of Super Cena

Rate this Entry
RAW_1026_Photo_179.jpg

Love him or loathe him, but John Cena will always be the current face of the WWE whether diehard pro wrestling fans like him or not. Like his predecessors Hulk Hogan and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin before him, Cena is the guy who is the true leader of the WWE roster and the guy who the WWE Universe rooted for, bought his merchandise, and was the poster child of almost every young pro wrestling fan. But it didn't start out that way.

Cena made his WWE debut in June 2002 when he answered a challenge for a match against Kurt Angle. Of course, he lost to Angle but it was just a start for the young Massachusetts native.

For the next couple of years, Cena languished in the WWE midcard on the SmackDown roster, winning his first title, the United States Championship when he defeated then-champion the Big Show at WrestleMania 20 in March of 2004.

But the turning point came when Cena defeated John Bradshaw Layfield to become the WWE Champion at WrestleMania 21. But the biggest move was one Cena was drafted to RAW in June of 2005 and that is when his place as WWE's number one guy began.

For the next several years, Cena became an unstoppable force, dominating the WWE while defeating the likes of Layfield, Edge, Batista, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, and many others. He even deposed of The Nexus.

But all the popularity of Cena also came with criticism. Many pro wrestling fans believed that Cena was not a very good wrestler as he leapfrogged from the likes of Justin Gabriel and Tyson Kidd who while both are talented, they are not over with the WWE Universe, something that the WWE expects to see from its talent.

But no matter what, Cena will no doubt always be the WWE's poster child for many years to come.

Submit "The evolution of Super Cena" to Digg Submit "The evolution of Super Cena" to del.icio.us Submit "The evolution of Super Cena" to StumbleUpon Submit "The evolution of Super Cena" to Google

Updated 02-09-2013 at 03:56 AM by Dashing Rachel

Tags: john cena, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hahaha, what was this? (Seriously, I thought this was funny)
    I think the criticism is more so due to him winning ppv after ppv match after match after he won the belt. I even jumped off the wagon as Cena being my favorite. It became who is left for him to defeat. It is time for someone else to hold the belt. I so wanted Orton to beat him at Summerslam 07 than Unforgiven 07 and than Orton didn't end up beating him because he got hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by LostOmega
    That's not a fragment. It's a sentence in the future tense. Just saying.
    But it's a sentence that contains future and present tense together. That's not correct English and doesn't make sense. "Always be the current". If he will always be, he can't be current, as Current means now.

Lose the current, then it makes sense. "will always be the face of the WWE"

You're welcome.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.