View RSS Feed

TempestH

There are too many main eventers.

Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
There are too many "main eventers". Or more accurately, there are too many wrestlers that are meant to be perceived to be at main event level by the casual fans. I applaud WWE for trying to create new stars, but it feels like they've tried to push too many guys to World Title level and make them look like contenders.

John Cena
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Big Show
Sheamus
Randy Orton (He's mostly irrelevant, but is still booked like a Superman)
Alberto Del Rio
Daniel Bryan
Kane
Ryback
Wade Barrett* (He's holding a midcard belt, but his booking indicates that he's above the midcard.)
The Miz (He's a midcard jobber now, but WWE still likes to pretend he's important)
Rey Mysterio*
Christian*
Mark Henry

It seems like they've built up too many people to look like main event players, but it's had a weird effect on the entire roster. There are too many people that Creative feels like they "have" to be on the RAW/PPV every week and it's created a very obvious "US" and "THEM" in regards to who gets showcased.

Right now it seems like the midcard is just whichever main event guys can't fit into the World Title scene at the moment. There is no real midcard. It seems like everyone is either main event, on the fringe of the main event, depushed from the main event, or just a jobber. There are no pure, strongly booked midcarders aside from Cody, Kofi, Sandow and Cesaro, and they're mostly fighting against main eventers as well because everyone else is so far beneath them.

What WWE tends to do is build up a bunch of guys to main event level, and then have them float around. They end up in this weird middle spot where they're "too good" for the midcard, but won't be wrestling for a major title any time soon. They don't get a midcard title either, but in the event that they do, it's never a factor in anything that they're doing. They just float around in meaningless feuds with each other to stay semi-relevant, and/or squash the real midcarders and make them look like jobbers

Submit "There are too many main eventers." to Digg Submit "There are too many main eventers." to del.icio.us Submit "There are too many main eventers." to StumbleUpon Submit "There are too many main eventers." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I completely disagree. I think with the way wrestling is now there is NO such thing as a mid-card. You have your Mid-card matches but I don't think you have dedicated mid-card talent anymore. There are people that are booked to be more relevant and that's simply because they are. It's seriously all about the fans. If the fans react to you they will put you on TV more to get ratings.

I think the only sure fire "Main Eventers" Are: Cena, Del Rio and CM Punk. I only say that because I believe a large number of fans will always pay to see those guys win or lose right now. Everyone else on the card will have their select groups but not nearly as overwhelming.
    For me personally it takes away a lot of the excitement and build for main event title matches. The best example is savage vs hogan in 89 or bret vs shawn in 96. They were really the only two guys in those eras good enough and the anticipation for those matches was unbelievable. Obviously the undertaker was up there too but he was involved in a lot of other pointless fueds in that time so was out the picture. Now its like punk vs cena, which is without a doubt a great match up, but the 10th + time around? Or people will be like, why is ziggler not in this match, or christian, or db? There just too many and the title matches seem so unimportant now it really does beg the question, do I buy the ppv or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by dashkatae
    Actually I think it all started when they did the brand split. They had two different championships so they created a lot of main eventers to go for the titles. The problem now is that the two championships are kinda irrelevant.
    But no one, including the WWE, ever took Foley seriously as the WWE Champion. He was essentially rewarded for his time in the business and what he brought regarding the hardcore side of things. I mean that title match between he and the Rock during a Superbowl half time was pretty embarrassing.

Combine that with the WWE putting Jericho over Rock and Stone Cold in one night, when he's no where near their level at the time... I dunno.
    This goes to show that WWE Fans will never be pleased. A year ago, all of us were cringing that guys like Edge and HBK and Batista, etc... were gone and that there were too few main eventers.

Now that WWE finally (slowly) starts to build stars, you all start crying that there are too many? Give it a rest will you...
    ^The problem isn't just that there are too many of them. The problem is that WWE has made it's main event scene so top heavy to the detriment of everyone else on the card.

When Edge, Batista, and HBK were around to carry the brands, WWE didn't have ALL of the "main event" guys taking up all of the TV time on both shows and thus there was room to allow a healthy midcard to grow to help supplement the show.

But when those guys left, WWE panicked over their ratings, quickly pushed a bunch of guys to the moon, and are now too afraid to give a decent showcase to anyone below World Title level.

That's why a guy like Alex Riley got a huge push he wasn't ready for, and is now barely on TV even after improving in the ring. That's why Zack Ryder got over exposed by being in every other segment despite not being that good of an actor/talker, and is now stuck jobbing. WWE expects everyone to be the next Stone Cold Steve Austin or nothing. There is no middle ground.
    Updated 02-08-2013 at 09:04 AM by TempestH
    Quote Originally Posted by TempestH
    ^The problem isn't just that there are too many of them. The problem is that WWE has made it's main event scene so top heavy to the detriment of everyone else on the card.

When Edge, Batista, and HBK were around to carry the brands, WWE didn't have ALL of the "main event" guys taking up all of the TV time on both shows and thus there was room to allow a healthy midcard to grow to help supplement the show.

But when those guys left, WWE panicked over their ratings, quickly pushed a bunch of guys to the moon, and are now too afraid to give a decent showcase to anyone below World Title level.

That's why a guy like Alex Riley got a huge push he wasn't ready for, and is now barely on TV even after improving in the ring. That's why Zack Ryder got over exposed by being in every other segment despite not being that good of an actor/talker, and is now stuck jobbing. WWE expects everyone to be the next Stone Cold Steve Austin or nothing. There is no middle ground.
    This...
    Second...
    I concur...
    You have crystalized my thoughts eloquently... Except that Riley crossed Cena and that's why he's fallen off the face of the Earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagg
    Well said, very well said.
    Also, I would say that being fed consistently to the big 3 (cena, sheamus, Orton) does not make anyone a main eventer.

Plus the world title must go, with no brand split anymore ()really), there just is no point in having this glorified IC title. Which is essentially what it is, with the actual IC title and US title having an all time low credibility wise. Yeah, cesaro and barrett could elevate these titles huge, but does it matter, when theyre just constantly losing. Clean. Every week.
    I agree that the World Title must go. They gives the World Heavyweight Title to guys that they would've never consider using as the absolute top guy. There's nothing wrong with having a belt to test new stars, but that title should not be called a world championship

Let the absolute top guys fight over the WWE Title. Cena, Sheamus, Orton, Punk, and Rock when he's around.

Let the guys who are good, but not quite there yet, have epic feuds over the Intercontinental Title. Don't move them up to WWE Title level unless a fresh contender or a new champion is needed to break up the monotony. Let Barrett feud with guys like Miz, Del Rio, and Ryback over the IC belt and make it look important. Let Cesaro replace the U.S. Title with the European Title and then drop it to someone like Ryder, Riley, or Brodus and push him up to IC Title level.

When there are so many "Haves" it makes the "Have Nots" look weak and makes them look like failures.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.