View RSS Feed

TempestH

There are too many main eventers.

Rating: 3 votes, 3.00 average.
There are too many "main eventers". Or more accurately, there are too many wrestlers that are meant to be perceived to be at main event level by the casual fans. I applaud WWE for trying to create new stars, but it feels like they've tried to push too many guys to World Title level and make them look like contenders.

John Cena
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Big Show
Sheamus
Randy Orton (He's mostly irrelevant, but is still booked like a Superman)
Alberto Del Rio
Daniel Bryan
Kane
Ryback
Wade Barrett* (He's holding a midcard belt, but his booking indicates that he's above the midcard.)
The Miz (He's a midcard jobber now, but WWE still likes to pretend he's important)
Rey Mysterio*
Christian*
Mark Henry

It seems like they've built up too many people to look like main event players, but it's had a weird effect on the entire roster. There are too many people that Creative feels like they "have" to be on the RAW/PPV every week and it's created a very obvious "US" and "THEM" in regards to who gets showcased.

Right now it seems like the midcard is just whichever main event guys can't fit into the World Title scene at the moment. There is no real midcard. It seems like everyone is either main event, on the fringe of the main event, depushed from the main event, or just a jobber. There are no pure, strongly booked midcarders aside from Cody, Kofi, Sandow and Cesaro, and they're mostly fighting against main eventers as well because everyone else is so far beneath them.

What WWE tends to do is build up a bunch of guys to main event level, and then have them float around. They end up in this weird middle spot where they're "too good" for the midcard, but won't be wrestling for a major title any time soon. They don't get a midcard title either, but in the event that they do, it's never a factor in anything that they're doing. They just float around in meaningless feuds with each other to stay semi-relevant, and/or squash the real midcarders and make them look like jobbers

Submit "There are too many main eventers." to Digg Submit "There are too many main eventers." to del.icio.us Submit "There are too many main eventers." to StumbleUpon Submit "There are too many main eventers." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I was just thinking the same thing. As for the WWE/F, in the 60's you had Bruno. In the 70's you had Bruno & Backlund. In the 80s you had Andre, Hogan & Warrior. In the 90s you had Bret, HBK, Taker & Stone Cold (sure the Rock was a main eventer in 1999 and the early 2000s).

But for the most part the WWE/F has always been better when there was a defined pecking order and less guys at the main event level.
    And honestly, I think this started when Foley won the world title, followed by Jericho becoming the first undisputed champion. Dont get me wrong, I was/am a big fan of those 2...
    I deff agree with the argument that is presented but i.would..change a few,names and there status overall.good blog
    Great blog, I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately, the WWE title and WHC title are on equal playing ground. So are the IC and US title. As a result, there is no room for a true midcarder. When WCW was in its prime, it did a great job of keeping the headliners (Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, etc) as the only ones in the World title picture. Meanwhile, your guys on the fringe (DDP, Hennig, Raven) competed for the US title. Likewise, the TV title was for your mid-carders (Z Man, Pillman ) and the cruiserweight title was for not just the luchadors, but the lower card guys that were great workers/awful on the mic (juvi, ultimo draggon, malenko).
    If WCW would have won the war, perhaps this is how it would now be:
    World Title Guys - Cena, Punk, Big Show, Orton, Sheamus, Del Rio, Ryback
    US Title Guys - Ziggler, Kane, Henry, Bryan, Christian, Barrett, Miz, Kofi
    TV Title Guys - Ryder, Santino, Kahli, Rhodes, Sandow, Tensai, Clay
    Cruiser - Mysterio, Sin Cara, Gabriel, Bourne, Kidd, Epico, Primo
    Too many main eventers - what a great problem to have. To me it means they are actually doing something right. Building up all these guys properly and at a moments notice any one of these guys can step right in to a world title feud. Its perfect. Absolutley no complaints here.
    I agree and weems the other thing that WCW did very well at the time was have a reliable group of jobbers. The jobbers would regularly face the more established talents but the difference between what the WWE does now and that time is now it's ALWAYS a squash match if its jobber vs. an established guy. Back then, the more established guy would dominate but at least you would usually get a match that lasted more than a couple minutes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.