View RSS Feed

Cyrus224

PG in a blender. WWEs marketing lie.

Rate this Entry
EDIT(Since comments keep coming to me in one way or another not understanding my article, I must point out, this article is not AGAINST "EDGY" WWE content, it is only trying to prove the point that those who say we need a new Attitude Era need to realize we are already in a non PG era. Please take that into consideration before PM'ing me that I am against new edgy content. Thank you.

I non stop read these blogs daily where people are talking about the PG era pro and con, and if its changing, and I wanted to point out some things that I don't see people addressing.

Here's a slightly different perspective. As a Canadian, I get WWE on a non American network, and I can tell you that most often the rating is changed on the Canadian feed to 14A. I have watched episodes that start with a PG rating, and after the first hour, the rating is changed to 14A due to things that have happened on the show.

WWE is not very "PG"
My biggest point to all these articles saying that WWE is PG and staying PG is the fact that they already are NOT. I don't understand how they get away with some of the things they do if the American, or feeds across the world are saying PG. Some of the extremely over the top sexual references they make, or AJ sleeping around and all out making out on Camera with every superstar in the WWE, the constant bullying, the blood.

Blood
The WWE censored blood with the camera going black and white for quite awhile on the odd chance it accidentally happened, and suddenly now there's an angle months ago were Vince was busted open, and it has happened several times before and after, and no longer (at least on my feed) is the black and white happening.

There are skits that cater to an age group that wouldn't understand them. References to things from the 70s and 80s, that are pop culture references not known to the younger crowd. I understand the need to appeal to more than one age group, but they do it with sex and swearing; and not innocent references, but all out discussion about a wrestlers sex life.

The Rocks return
After The Rock returned to TV even Mr.PG, John Cena went away from his kid friendly antics. His raps went back to his old school character,and references and words he used were not PG (I had some videos but they were pulled). The Rock using the word "Pussy", using words like "Bitch" on raw (when this happened for Canada, the first word got through, where as the remaining 2 (from The Rock and CM Punk) were edited out. Not to mention that The Rocks character is one of the biggest bullies in the WWE.

Bullying
WWEhas a large campaign against bullying, yet every week in and out, they promote it with calling Vickie fat, or ugly, having wrestlers remark about how AJ is a slut. JBL on a skit with the Great Khali ""That's an example of an inter-species relationship". The rock calling someone "Twinkie Tits". How many overweight kids got called that after they hear The Great One say it? I know that bullying is not something that would be classified as non PG, but in a world where it leads to suicide and shootings, it has become a very tough subject for a lot of people.

JBL is another example, he doesn't know when to stop. When he's addressing Michael Cole, he often says things that make me stop and think, did he really just say that?

Lawler heart attack angle
The angle mocking Jerry Lawlers heart attack has been talked about over and over again, so I won't go into it deep, but that blew me away. When something reaches a level of distasteful nature like that, its not PG TV.

--------------------------------------------------
These are all just a few examples of the over the top non PG, or VERY borderline things WWE does every week.

My conclusion is simply that the WWE is already not PG compared to other PG shows, they have been pushing the limits of it more and more. Vince has allowed for this, but he WON'T officially change the rating because of their marketing program. They have deals with big name companies (Like Cena being on the Fruity pebbles box) and the childrens market is really important.

Unless they are forced to change it by the network because of their content, it will stay PG, while not being a PG show.

I am not against these non PG things at all, I think its good for the show, but to try and pretend it's wholesome entertainment for the whole family is a joke. And for those who say PG is bad for WWE, or that we need to change the rating, simply I will say PG is not the problem, Writing is the problem, but that's another story for another day.

Is the WWE going to stop having a "PG" rating? No.
Is the WWE "PG?"...No.

Submit "PG in a blender. WWEs marketing lie." to Digg Submit "PG in a blender. WWEs marketing lie." to del.icio.us Submit "PG in a blender. WWEs marketing lie." to StumbleUpon Submit "PG in a blender. WWEs marketing lie." to Google

Updated 02-04-2013 at 09:56 AM by Cyrus224

Tags: 14a, attitude, cena, rock, tv-pg
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

"Programs rated TV-PG contain material that parental guardians may find inappropriate for young children" it can have inappropriate stuff on it....... And kids are post to watch it with a parent. Also the sex references most kids wont get.
    Just putting this here AGAIN:

TV PG - Parental Guidance Suggested
    This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program contains one or more of the following: moderate violence (V), some sexual situations (S), infrequent coarse language (L), or some suggestive dialogue (D).
    There's a few things on here that I'm not sure I fully agree with.

Rock's Return....The thing is, they couldn't have The Rock return and not do his best to be, The Rock. Which means they had to be somewhat lenient to how they could control the situation. The Rock had to be The Rock, which means Cena had to cross the barrier in order to make the feud mean something. Once Wrestlemania was over, they didn't really cross that PG barrier again for a while...most notably, after the election was over.

Bullying...as far as this is concerned, you have to understand that the anti-bullying campaign and Be A Star, and Rise Above Hate are WWE being true as a corporation being active within the community and contributing to good causes. What you see on TV, is just that. A Show. Law and Order SVU depicts all kinds of horrible situations, but NBC contributes to the community from a company standpoint. And people involved in these causes are able to separate them as a company and an entity, from the fictional shows they produce. Wrestling is a fictional show for viewer's entertainment. What they depict on their shows is completely separate from what they, as a company, get involved in. I understand your point about how many overweight kids got called "twinkie tits" after Rock said it, but what about the wrestling moves that take place in the matches? How many kids tried a Shell Shock and got hurt? How many have gotten back injuries from trying the Walls of Jericho? WWE can only do so much. It's up to people to make the choices to do something or not. Do a bunch of kids jump of a cliff and land on their face just because Spongebob Squarepants does it? I haven't read any reports on it.

Stop taking it so seriously. If you don't like the fact that they aren't sticking to their PG, then don't watch. If you do like that it's starting to get a bit edgier, without going completely all out with no barriers, like in the Attitude Era, then just chill and enjoy it.

I do agree with what you said about the mockery of Lawler's heart attack. I didn't like it one bit...but you know they ran it by Lawler first and got his okay to do it.
    You said Vince won't change the ratings. Vince isn't the one who rates the program PG. The same people that give movies their ratings, G, PG, PG13 and R make the ratings for television programming.
    @DK Wrestling Savior
    I agree with some of your counter points, and fully understand the need for The Rock to be The Rock.

I in no way with this article was trying to say I don't like the the things they are doing that are edgier, I said at the bottom that I DO like them. I loved the attitude era. I also still like how things are now. I was only trying to point out that so many other people complain about how bad it is now, and how we need a new attitude era, complaining about two letters "PG" when we already have a lot of edgy stuff going on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @hbk2416

Programs are rated by either the FCC(Federal Communications Commision), the broadcaster or by the content producers themselves (most common), in this case WWE rates them "To assist parents in making these decisions, WWE voluntarily rates its television programs. These ratings are based on existing Federal Communications Commission TV Parental Guidelines."-1

They can later change the rating if it a complaint is put fourth to the FCC stating the content is not as listed. Furthermore, the The Parental Guidelines system for the United States is a voluntary-participation system-2

Source 1-
    http://corporate.wwe.com/parents/tvshows.jsp
    Source 2- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...#United_States
    Updated 02-04-2013 at 10:04 AM by Cyrus224
    I happen to love the fact that it's getting edgier. I think there was just a point, one show, don't remember when, when I was just like "this crap is for like 5 year olds". Then there was a show, I think it was Rock and Cena concert and rap, where I was like "HELL YEAH This is what I want to see!!" The edginess make the show better
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Klebonas
    The edginess makes the show better
    I agree completely

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.