View RSS Feed

ApolloKing

Start Stop: The new way of keeping us interested?

Rate this Entry
Start and stop:
Do you remember back in the day when Brett and Shawn historically feuded over a span of years? Or when Hogan and Andre battled it out?
Why were those feuds so memorable? What did they have that is lacking today? Well here it is; They were believable.

Far too often in todays market the WWE expects us, "the universe" to believe that two guys hate each other simply because one is a "good guy" and one is a "bad guy". Far too often they expect us to buy into the fact that two guys want to rip each others eyes out because Booker T made a match. Worst of all they expect us to buy in to it by spending money on it.
Shawn and Marty worked because you could see it coming. Shawn was outgrowing him, it made for a perfect feud. Years together compromised by egos and jealousy. Brett and Shawn worked because they were intertwined from day one. They crossed paths in the tag team scene, and again as IC champs at one point being tied for most reigns at 3 each. On the world title scene we believed they hated each other not just because they actually did but because the story behind why they might hate each other made sense. Vince and Steve wasn't about swearing, or Austin 3:16. We didnt believe it because we all hate our bosses, it worked because we believed a guy like Steve could actually hate his. Even the tag teams made sense, they were built on guys mutually feuding with the same group or individual. The mutual hatred brought people together.

Now rather then moving with the flow of the story we are given the story. No back ground, no build up and no reason behind it. People are put together on tag teams just for the sake of them being on TV. Why were Cody and Damien put together? Wouldnt it have been better if there was a reason behind it? Or even the Prime Time Players? No reason... Hell even if you just said "because they are black and black people stick together" we may have bought that but instead they are just given a cheesey gimmick and forced to run with it. Wouldnt it make more sense if there was a reason Del Rio was feuding with Big Show? Ya sure he beat Big Show for his title but why did that match ever happen? Why did Christian fight Cody? Why did Miz fight Christian? Why did Kofi fight Miz? And why did Barett fight Kofi? Because they held the title... Well of course. But thats only going to hold my attention for about 5 minutes. Does anybody wonder if Kofi still hates Barett (kayfabe of course) because i sure would. Id certainly buy into the idea that Kofi still would. Instead the creative team just has Kofi move onto somebody new as if Baraett never existed. Then the WWE will have to create another feud for Barett out of nowhere to try to keep us interested.

Stop the Start and Stop. Let things flow naturally, let them build up over months...

Submit "Start Stop: The new way of keeping us interested?" to Digg Submit "Start Stop: The new way of keeping us interested?" to del.icio.us Submit "Start Stop: The new way of keeping us interested?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Start Stop: The new way of keeping us interested?" to Google

Updated 01-31-2013 at 01:24 AM by ApolloKing

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Wade Barrett and bo Dallas are making it believable, I'd say cena and Ziggler too. Triple h and Brock lesnar are going to fued over McMahon getting injured. I'm not sure the believable part is the main problem, but it is an area of concern considering the young blood can't go into character at all.

A huge problem that you addressed was wwe not letting anything flow. You are right about that.
    ADR hates Show because he beat up Ricardo
    To be honest, I cant even think of a current storyline that does not have some form of story behind it. People complain about it, but they have been building the rock and cena feud for almost 2 years now. Rock and punk realistically started during punks famous pipe bomb promo. There is the odd feud for the mid card titles that seems random at times but there are alot of feuds that creative has built over time... Whether people want to admit it or not. Just my opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by timfeyenoord
    ADR hates Show because he beat up Ricardo
    That's why he hates him now.
    Ill give that one a "semi-believable" rating.
    The reason i wouldnt go all out is because there wasn't a rivalry built up. One day Del Rio is a heel, the next day he's a face and suddenly him and Show hate each other?
    The WWE needs to build individual rivalries rather then just assume every heel is against every face.
    First of all Bret was a two time IC champion so he couldn't be tied with Shawn at three a piece.

Second, like someone said, there are plenty back stories.

Third. Why do so many people bitch about tag teams forming? For instance, what was the story behind The Rockers forming? Who cares? They were an awesome team to watch. The problem isn't two people teaming up to make a team, it's how they are booked. The New Age Outlaws were kind of thrown together but damn they made it work.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.